Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] HF Predator engines

From: w <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 22:35:06 -0500

> and last year replaced it with a Predator.. it was a perfect bolt up
> replacement .  It's arund 6 hp (although they go by displacement now) and it
>....
> good luck with the HF engines, I don't think you'll be disappointed

Hey Guys, Month old thread but was wondering about the Harbor freight 
small engines myself.

I have an old (probably late 80's) Sears / MTD chipper-shredder with a 
Tecumseh 5hp engine that's not worth saving.

Would one of these H.F. Predator things be a bolt-in replacement?
http://tinyurl.com/pvk8ftk
They have two "6.5 HP (212cc) OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engines" for 
$100, looks like one has CARB cert'. Got the manual on one and it has 
mounting dimensions, but I haven't torn mine down to measure how close 
it is.

I realize that's a vague question, but thought maybe it was one of those 
things standard acress many manufacturers.

-Thanks, Wayne
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 20:47:57 -0800

> I replaced the 
> fuel lines 
> and rebuilt the carb, including replacing the inlet 
> valve/seat and now 
> it idles, but does not run well without the choke. 

Did you actually poke something through all the passages, or just soak them in cleaner?  Last time I had that problem (a vertical
shaft mower that had been left full of fuel), the main jet had some kind of hard deposit that none of my solvents would touch.  I
had to literally chip it out with a dental pick.  Ran fine after that.

Randall

[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 21:29:58 -0800

Randall,

I sprayed carb cleaner on everything, used an acid brush, a pipe 
cleaner, or the wire from a twist tie for the little passages.  I then 
again sprayed the carb cleaner and it came out the other ends of the 
various passages.  While things were gummed up, I did not find any 
really hard deposits that the carb cleaner couldn't soften, so I expect 
I have everything.  I actually rebuilt it 1.5 times because the first 
time I didn't take apart the float to remove the inlet valve seat.  It 
his some crud and was swollen, so I had to replace it then the engine 
started and ran.  The idle mixture valve seems set right and is the same 
number of turns out as the demo videos on youtube and there is not much 
to mess up.

The nice thing about this style carb is that it is very simple.  I hope 
some fresh gas will make the difference.

Brian

[email-masked]