Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] HF Predator engines

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 20:13:38 -0800

Please include the list on any replies.  I have  a 1994 Sears 
chipper-shredder with a 5hp B&S industrial plus engine from a yard sale 
that was left with old gas for a long time.  I replaced the fuel lines 
and rebuilt the carb, including replacing the inlet valve/seat and now 
it idles, but does not run well without the choke.   I have brand new 
fuel I'm going to try this weekend as a final option, since I'm using 
California gas and the existing gas is about 6 months old.

I'm interested in the same option.  I'm trying to save the B&S as it has 
parts available, but if I have to do much more to the engine, it might 
be worth switching to the HF Predator for $100 and getting a little 
extra horsepower.  As near as I can tell, my chipper has the same bits 
other than the engine as an 8hp model, so I'm not too concerned about 
anything being overloaded.

One thing I noticed about the Predator I looked at in the store was that 
it didn't have a fuel disconnect.

Brian with lots of trimming to do

On 11/29/2013 7:35 PM, w wrote:
>> and last year replaced it with a Predator.. it was a perfect bolt up
>> replacement .  It's arund 6 hp (although they go by displacement now) 
>> and it
>> ....
>> good luck with the HF engines, I don't think you'll be disappointed
>
> Hey Guys, Month old thread but was wondering about the Harbor freight 
> small engines myself.
>
> I have an old (probably late 80's) Sears / MTD chipper-shredder with a 
> Tecumseh 5hp engine that's not worth saving.
>
> Would one of these H.F. Predator things be a bolt-in replacement?
> http://tinyurl.com/pvk8ftk
> They have two "6.5 HP (212cc) OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engines" for 
> $100, looks like one has CARB cert'. Got the manual on one and it has 
> mounting dimensions, but I haven't torn mine down to measure how close 
> it is.
>
> I realize that's a vague question, but thought maybe it was one of 
> those things standard acress many manufacturers.
>
> -Thanks, Wayne
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Mark <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 09:59:22 -0600

Did you replace the rubber vacuum operated "fuel pump",  I spent weeks 
trying to get one to run for lack of a $3 rubber part.  Look at a Briggs 
manual and you will find it as part of the carb.

Mark
Nashville

On 11/29/2013 10:13 PM, Brian Kemp wrote:
> chipper-shredder with a 5hp B&S industrial plus engine from a yard 
> sale that was left with old gas for a long time.  I replaced the fuel 
> lines and rebuilt the carb, including replacing the inlet valve/seat 
> and now it idles, but does not run well without the choke.   I have 
> brand new fuel I'm going to try this weekend as a final option, since 
> I'm using California gas and the existing gas is about 6 months old.
>
> I'm interested in the same option.  I'm trying to save the B&S as it 
> has parts available, but if I have to do much more to the engine, it 
> might be worth switching to the HF Predator for $100 and getting a 
> little extra horsepower.  As near as I can tell, my chipper has the 
> same bits other than the engine as an 8hp model, so I'm not too 
> concerned about anything being overloaded.
>
> One thing I noticed about the Predator I looked at in the store was 
> that it didn't have a fuel disconnect.
>
>>> replacement .  It's arund 6 hp (although they go by displacement 
>>> now) and it
>>> ....
>> I have an old (probably late 80's) Sears / MTD chipper-shredder with 
>> a Tecumseh 5hp engine that's not worth saving.
>>
>> mounting dimensions, but I haven't torn mine down to measure how 
>> close it is.
>>

[email-masked]

---

From: old dirtbeard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 08:47:40 -0800 (PST)

Guys,

I know that B&S carbs are very simple devices and should be easy to
repair, but how much could a replacement carb cost in comparison to replacing
the engine?  Here is a new one for $25 (probably not the one you need, but it
gives an idea):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/230961079704?lpid=82

With the
advent of synthetic oil, it is very hard to wear out one of these engines if
the oil is changed yearly and the air filter is in place and tight.

It also
would be nice to have a complete, new carb on hand for comparison.  It
probably also would be fitted with seals that are designed for alcohol laden
gasoline.  In the spirit of "shop talk,"I think I first might try putting in a
gas shut-off valve and a new carb.
  
best,

doug
________________
'72 BSA
B50SS
'74 Moto Guzzi 850T

'01 HD XHL 883
'03 GMC Cargo Van
'07 Aprilia SXV
550
'13 Aprilia Tuono V4R

________________________________
 From: Mark
<[email-masked]>
To: Shop Talk List <[email-masked]> 
Sent:
Saturday, November 30, 2013 7:59 AM
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] HF Predator
engines

Did you replace the rubber vacuum operated "fuel pump",  I spent
weeks trying to get one to run for lack of a $3 rubber part.  Look at a Briggs
manual and you will find it as part of the carb.

Mark
Nashville

On
11/29/2013 10:13 PM, Brian Kemp wrote:
> Please include the list on any
replies.  I have  a 1994 Sears chipper-shredder with a 5hp B&S industrial plus
engine from a yard sale that was left with old gas for a long time.  I
replaced the fuel lines and rebuilt the carb, including replacing the inlet
valve/seat and now it idles, but does not run well without the choke.   I have
brand new fuel I'm going to try this weekend as a final option, since I'm
using California gas and the existing gas is about 6 months old.
> I'm
interested in the same option.  I'm trying to save the B&S as it has parts
available, but if I have to do much more to the engine, it might be worth
switching to the HF Predator for $100 and getting a little extra horsepower. 
As near as I can tell, my chipper has the same bits other than the engine as
an 8hp model, so I'm not too concerned about anything being overloaded.
One thing I noticed about the Predator I looked at in the store was that it
didn't have a fuel disconnect.
On 11/29/2013 7:35 PM, w wrote:
>>> replacement .  It's arund 6 hp
(although they go by displacement now) and it
>>> good luck with the
HF engines, I don't think you'll be disappointed
>> Hey Guys, Month old
thread but was wondering about the Harbor freight small engines myself.
>> Would one of these H.F.
Predator things be a bolt-in replacement?
>> http://tinyurl.com/pvk8ftk
They have two "6.5 HP (212cc) OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engines" for $100,
looks like one has CARB cert'. Got the manual on one and it has mounting
dimensions, but I haven't torn mine down to measure how close it is.
>> I
realize that's a vague question, but thought maybe it was one of those things
standard acress many manufacturers.

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 10:30:37 -0800

Doug - Thanks for the reference.  Unfortunately my carb, B&S 495652 is 
discontinued, and the best price so far is $46 plus shipping.  There may 
be a replacement, but http://www.briggsandstratton.com doesn't even 
recognize their own part number.  It has been thoroughly cleaned, but 
the gas was old and is the special California formulation that makes for 
lower emissions (and less energy content).  I have new gas to try, but I 
also have kids with lots of activities and a job that gets in the way.

It had a shutoff valve that had the rubber all dissolved - plugged till 
I used carb cleaner, then free flowing.  I have a replacement for $4 to 
install.

Brian

[email-masked]