Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Nibbler

From: "Karl Vacek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 18:26:52 -0500

If this is a double post I apologize, but I didn't see it so let's try
again...

Thanks to all for the replies, both on the list and private.  Looks like the
HF air nibbler is the near-unanimous recommendation.  Even if it's a
seldom-used tool, I'll get one as soon as there's a coupon.  And some extra
dies and anvils too.
In a separate post I'll ask for advice on the larger problem, which is that
the HVAC is going to have to be replaced even if the nibbler helps me
squeeze another A/C season or two out of it.
Thanks again!
Karl
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Scott <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 08:13:15 -0500

I'll say this about a/c repair/replacement:

It's a LOT easier than I thought. If you've got even a smidgen of 
mechanical aptitude AND the ability to plan the purchase, I see no 
reason why that's not a DIY job. The markup on that stuff is INSANE, 
such that I'd consider trying it, and I am horrible at electronics 
(which seems to be the real work in a/c).

Karl, I'd think with a \year to plan that you'd have few issues.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Karl Vacek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 09:48:04 -0600

Oh, installing a forced-air furnace and A/C is no problem at all - and I
agree it's a simple enough job in most cases.  I installed a complete system
(after removing an oil-converted octopus (gravity) furnace in our old house
in 1980.  All new ductwork, etc.  And I'm certified for Freon.  I'm not
concerned about doing the job myself - though whether or not I actually do
this one myself is not at all certain.  I have time in the winter, when
there's no way to remove a furnace for days.  In the nice months I tend to
work 6-7 days a week.

The issues here are more related to the physical limitations of the house's
layout, tight furnace room, almost no access to the Zonolite-contaminated
attic, no basement, and on and on.  When I get into it further, I'll likely
ask lots of questions.

Meanwhile, if anyone here is a current HVAC tech, I'd really appreciate a
post offline to tell me about the state of the art in variable-firing and
DC-fan systems.  Our 142-year-old, (uninsulated balloon frame walls) 2-story
house would benefit from a constant flow of air to avoid stratification and
alleviate some of the drafts I still haven't tracked down.  I last looked
into such units quite a few years ago and at that time they were brand new
and reliability of variable-speed blower motors and controls was
questionable, so I elected to wait a few years.  Ads today give me the
impression that there's much more variability available in firing rates, and
10-year warranties make me believe that DC blower motors must live longer
lives now.

Also, if I can get the condensate pan sealed with POR-15 putty or something
(max temp at the pan is only 125 degrees), I'll hold off for another few
years.

Thanks!
Karl

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Nibbler

It's a LOT easier than I thought. If you've got even a smidgen of mechanical
aptitude AND the ability to plan the purchase, I see no reason why that's
not a DIY job. The markup on that stuff is INSANE, such that I'd consider
trying it, and I am horrible at electronics (which seems to be the real work
in a/c).

[email-masked]