Subject: [Shop-talk] electrical question

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 15:40:56 GMT

I took Inch's recommendation and got the Ramsond plasma cutter (wow, 2 day
delivery from Amazon w/free shipping!)  It works off either 220V 20amp or 110
30amp depending on the plug you put on it. I was about to put on a 220V plug
but I realized that I had wired up a dedicated 30A 110 circuit for visiting
RVs and it would actually be more convenient to cut near that outlet.Is there
any reason to go 220 instead of 110 in this case?  All I can figure is the
higher current but since I have a rated circuit it would seem convenience
prevails... Also, any idea why my returns or line feeds go away and my
postings all bunch up?  I don't draft/send them this way. Thanks,Matt
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 19:05:06 +0000

---- Matt <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> Is there
> any reason to go 220 instead of 110 in this case?  

I don't know, but I would check the specifications carefully.  For the MIG welders that are rated to run on either 110v or 220v, there is usually a performance penalty on 110v.  Frequently you can't use the highest output current setting, and the duty cycle is reduced from what it would be on 220v even on lower current settings.

But maybe that wouldn't matter, for what you are doing.

Randall

[email-masked]

---

From: Mike Rambour <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 12:17:49 -0800

for my hyphotherm plasma, I can go cut through rustier metal on 220V 
than I can 110V due to higher current output and the big one is that the 
duty cycle is reduced so I can cut longer on 220V. Both of those  are 
fairly minor in the big picture of me going out there and making cuts on 
small pieces of metal.

     mike

[email-masked]

---

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 20:14:20 GMT

I dunno - mine is still in the box and I haven't bought a plug yet.  Inch!
can you help us out on this one?  ---------- Original Message ----------
From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
To: Matt <[email-masked]>, Shop-Talk <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] electrical question
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 13:20:30 -0500

Hello,

How do you get the arc started on that unit? Does it have a pilot arc?

Thanks,Doug

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Matt <[email-masked]> wrote:
&#65533;I took Inch's recommendation and got the Ramsond plasma cutter (wow, 2
day
delivery from Amazon w/free shipping!) &#65533;It works off either 220V 20amp
or 110
30amp depending on the plug you put on it. I was about to put on a 220V plug
but I realized that I had wired up a dedicated 30A 110 circuit for visiting
RVs and it would actually be more convenient to cut near that outlet.Is there
any reason to go 220 instead of 110 in this case? &#65533;All I can figure is
the
higher current but since I have a rated circuit it would seem convenience
prevails..
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 18:34:04 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 11/05/2013 18:33:49, Serialize complete at 11/05/2013 18:33:49

Matt asks...

> Inch! can you help us out on this one?

I haven't tried mine on 110v yet.  I have 220 outlets all over my shop, so 
I never considered it.  I guess I can try it to see, but I seem to 
remember the guy I spoke with at Ransome stating that it was a small 
performance hit (but nothing major for most of the cutting.)

But I can tell you that my car charges 2 to four times faster on 220.  8>)

If I were you, I would put a 110 plug on it and try the outlet that you 
have available.  You can always change the plug later if it doesn't work 
out.

If there is something you want me to try, just let me know.  I can make a 
220 to 110 pigtail so I can just plug in the unit to a regular outlet.

Thanks.

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 20:21:21 GMT

Once again the shop list comes through.
Great replies all.
I think most of my use will be thin sheet metal so the convenient 30a/110V
will do but an easy shift to the 220 via a pigtail makes all the sense in the
world.

THanks!
Matt

---------- Original Message ----------
From: David Hillman <[email-masked]>
To: Randall <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Matt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] electrical question
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 15:09:53 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013, Randall wrote:
> I don't know, but I would check the specifications carefully.  For the
> MIG welders that are rated to run on either 110v or 220v, there is
> usually a performance penalty on 110v.  Frequently you can't use the
> highest output current setting, and the duty cycle is reduced from what
> it would be on 220v even on lower current settings.

    30 amps of 110v provides 3300 watts.  20a of 220v is 33% more, in other
words, better ;)

    Make a pigtail, so you can plug the machine into either place.  I
seriously doubt you will regret this, unless you really know you'll never
need the top end ( and no friends who will ask you to bring it to their
shop to cut something, etc ).   You are probably not going to get more
than 30a output from your 50a cutter on the 110v circuit.  Speaking of
which, it's doubtful you'll 50a under any circumstances.  50a cutters
normally need around 35a x 220v input, which is nearly double the spec
for this model.

--
  David Hillman

[email-masked]