Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Oven problem

From: Darrell Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 18:44:00 -0700

On Oct 24, 2013, at 5:40 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Here is the problem, the oven works fine, but sometimes there is a loud
> hum from it when it is NOT on.

Just plug it in when you are using it?

> Oh, one more question, what is the difference between "Broil" and "Bake?"
> I'm a 42 year old (come Sunday) bachelor and I don't cook.  More
> importantly, which one do I use for powder coating and what setting?

Broil would turn on the element on the top, and would be used for direct heat
cooking.  Not what you would want for power coating.  Typically it isnt even
controlled by the thermostat.

Use the bake setting, what ever temperature you are supposed to cure at.

-Darrell
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Eric J Russell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 21:50:16 -0400 a=P2oOn6vrs4wA:10 a=8nJEP1OIZ-IA:10 a=S2wpYzp2RsyRkoRNwqcm1Q==:17 a=xwPayol1AAAA:8 a=Cw46uF_UzBFOaabono4A:9 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10 a=26CCmLBdPl8A:10 a=UHHsM-88z5QA:10 a=S2wpYzp2RsyRkoRNwqcm1Q==:117 reip=0.000, cl=1, cld=1, fgs=0

> Oh, one more question, what is the difference between "Broil" and "Bake?"

Broil will usually heat up only the upper coil (assuming we're discussing an 
electric oven).
Bake will heat up both the upper & lower coils - to heat the entire oven 
evenly.

I would assume that 'bake' is what you'd use for powder coating.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 19:56:54 -0600

> importantly, which one do I use for powder coating and what setting?

For either gas or electric ovens, "broil" is a non-regulated, or loosely 
regulated, setting
that puts the heat source at the top of the oven above the food. Sort of 
like an upside
down grill.

Bake is more closely regulated, with the heat source coming from the 
bottom of the oven.
This is what you want for powder coating.

Chef Mark.

[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 19:14:30 -0700

Eric - An oven when off and cold shouldn't make any sounds.  Many will 
have a fan that runs when it is on to circulate air around it and keep 
the outside cool.  The fan will keep running after the oven is turned 
off until it is cool enough to safely turn off and not start a cabinet 
on fire.

Bake is the lower element only and controlled by the temperature you 
select.  I have not powder coated, but I expect this is the setting you 
will use as it is the most controlled.

Broil is the upper element to provide direct heat.  You normally use 
broil to cook something really hot and close (top rack).  Broil doesn't 
have a temperature control.

If there is a preheat setting, it runs both burners to heat the oven 
faster the switches to the lower burner once it reaches the preset temp.

Since there is something questionable about the oven, for safety, I'd 
make sure it is disconnected from power when not in use.  Either unplug 
it or if hardwired, get a disconnect like you might use for an outside 
AC unit and switch off the oven power when not in use.

Brian

On 10/24/2013 5:40 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> OK, this is shop related.
>
> I had to remove an in wall oven because it was making noise.  I replaced
> it, and figured the broken one would be perfect for the shop for powder
> coating and such.
>
> Any ideas?  Also, since this is a shop stove, can I just rewire it to a
> simple thermostat and bypass all the other nonsense?
>
> Thanks!
> Eric P
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
> being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph
> Waldo Emerson
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 22:22:28 -0400

Nope.  Bake is lower only.  Some ovens have a "preheat" mode that 
uses both, or a self-cleaning cycle.

-Steve

At 09:50 PM 10/24/2013, Eric J Russell wrote:
>Bake will heat up both the upper & lower coils - to heat the entire 
>oven evenly.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Bob Kegel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 19:38:01 -0700 s=q20121106; t=1382668688; bh=flDcF8Ajb4zoioGgtZtpwOBHB76MJ7OIDPeeP/4Ktpg=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Reply-To:From:To:Subject:Date: MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=VuNvsZ0Sk4kRq3OFzrGEViugDS3kkrXzCxQmK0bhrf98qkxAuQa/aAneQ2IUOaPm3 TEM6wkh1uxneEJVcLEcBQKUBKRKVtQSfD+YM1vFnnbaUnnzHMLLijpKnqIYl1SVhkg hSJe65PqS4p4EhrvuHieEdv9hkNoS/Pnps1T5zQun5dzI+GAqml+ZEGJMWCjX5Ss3E KNxGNQcRgAz4Yf78b/Vri7THIUpIrRGJZ9Am9t3GtjffbIyIuTLcaszxS6cQpxiewY w+fuNmnXnHUL9ZAXKtSUzVIg2bmzlGKMzPPaE0Zpq60CEPInsCVE1NiQkGTIDr0a1e wF5iRklakkXTQ==

Ovens usually have a clock/timer. I'd look there for the source of the hum. 

Bob K

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 23:26:14 -0400

> Ovens usually have a clock/timer. I'd look there for the source of the hum.

I second this. Our 70s oven with analog clock would occasionally resonate
something loudly enough to wake us up.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 11:46:42 -0500

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 9:22 PM, Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>wrote:

> Nope.  Bake is lower only.  Some ovens have a "preheat" mode that uses
> both, or a self-cleaning cycle.
>
>
Depends on the oven.  Some will turn the top element on in the bake cycle,
if the temperature falls too low.  Not usually a problem in real baking,
unlews you leave the door open for far too long.

-- 
David Scheidt
[email-masked]

[email-masked]