Subject: [Shop-talk] Long term storage of a transmission

From: Robert nogueira <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 15:00:53 -0500

I've got a spare transmission (manual) which was recently rebuilt that I will
be hopefully .storing for a long time.  The Manual calls for the use of non
detergent 30 Weight motor oil
I'm worried that over time the oil will all settle at the bottom of the case
and the gear teeth might suffer corrosion.
Any good tips for long term storage of a transmission?

Bob
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Tim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 17:14:05 -0400 (EDT)

I think I've read that you can spin it manually every so often and that 
will help keep the gears oiled.

[email-masked]

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 17:17:27 -0400

Well, I guess that would work, but how long is "long term" and how 
convenient is the storage location?  And of course, how good is your memory?

At 05:14 PM 10/11/2013, Tim wrote:
>I think I've read that you can spin it manually every so often and 
>that will help keep the gears oiled.

[email-masked]