Subject: [Shop-talk] Compressor Leak & Repair

From: Gil Fuqua <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 14:33:36 +0000

I have a 5hp industrial compressor with an 80 gallon tank that developed a
pinhole leak on the bottom (horizontal leak).  The tank has an automatic drain
that cycles each time the compressor comes on; however, I don't use it much
and residual moisture has probably rusted through on the bottom.

I thought about welding a plate across the entire bottom since I suspect other
leaks will appear over time. I would like to keep it if possible since the
compressor is still good.

Anyone have any success in repairing a compressor tank?

Gil
Nashville
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "old dirtbeard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 14:38:37 +0000

Gill,

It does not take much to fix it. Just a sheet metal screw (might want to frill the hole to size) with a dollop of gasket sealer ought to keep it sealed for a very long time. 

Best,

Doug (mobile)

-----Original Message-----
From: Gil Fuqua <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 14:33:36 
To: Shop Talk<[email-masked]>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Compressor Leak & Repair

Gil
Nashville

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Juhas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 11:04:39 -0400

I set out to do exactly what you are describing. After cutting into the tank
to assess how far the damage propagated out, I found that all I needed was a
very small patch. It has been working fine.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 3, 2013, at 10:33 AM, Gil Fuqua <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]