Subject: [Shop-talk] Oven problem

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 20:40:45 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 10/24/2013 20:40:36, Serialize complete at 10/24/2013 20:40:36

OK, this is shop related. 

I had to remove an in wall oven because it was making noise.  I replaced 
it, and figured the broken one would be perfect for the shop for powder 
coating and such.

Here is the problem, the oven works fine, but sometimes there is a loud 
hum from it when it is NOT on.

Any ideas?  Also, since this is a shop stove, can I just rewire it to a 
simple thermostat and bypass all the other nonsense?

Oh, one more question, what is the difference between "Broil" and "Bake?" 
I'm a 42 year old (come Sunday) bachelor and I don't cook.  More 
importantly, which one do I use for powder coating and what setting?

Thanks!

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 21:40:50 -0400

Don't know about the hum.  Is that the same noise it was making in 
the kitchen?  Certainly relocating it and repurposing it hasn't fixed 
it.  I guess you could rewire it to a "simple thermostat" but it 
would have to have the ability to sense the temperature inside the 
oven while being located outside the oven.  Might be worth a little 
diagnosis first.

As for your easy question, Broil heats from above and cooks things 
from the direct heat.  You always broil on full heat.  Good for a 
steak.  Bake heats from below and heats the oven to a particular 
temperature.  This is good for things you want to heat without that 
direct burning effect.  42 year old bachelor is one thing, but heck, 
didn't you ever heat a pizza?  :-)  Powder coating is definitely a "bake" job.

-Steve Trovato
[email-masked]

At 08:40 PM 10/24/2013, [email-masked] wrote:
>Thanks!Oh, one more question, what is the difference between "Broil" 
>and "Bake?"

[email-masked]

---

From: Todd Walke <[email-masked]> mail.megageek.com> localhost.scooter.p.blarg.net
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 18:46:12 -0700

>importantly, which one do I use for powder coating and what setting?

         Bake is the lower element only.  Broil is the upper element 
only.  No idea which one to use for powder coating.  I use Bake for cakes 
and Broil for steaks.  Dang, now I'm hungry...

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 276,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       432,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a new 
home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 23:48:31 -0700

> More 

Varies with the powder.  400F is most common I think.

Don't see any reason you couldn't use both elements if you want (and have enough current available).  But normally the upper "broil"
element isn't controlled by the main thermostat, so you'd need to change that.

Randall

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 13:29:27 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 10/25/2013 13:29:36, Serialize complete at 10/25/2013 13:29:36

First, thanks for all the great answers!  I guess this list still is 
pretty alive!  8>)

I guess I should have been clearer with my original post.  The oven came 
from a rental I have, so I never got to experience what was wrong with it.

But yes, they confirmed that it was a buzz when it was off.

Also, I did hook it up to a plug so I can unplug it when not in use (and 
even move it easily if need be.)

So it looks like this was a blessing after all.  I got my 'powder coat' 
oven and the tenants got a new oven!

Thanks again everyone.

Eric P

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 15:56:41 -0400

With the self-cleaning setting, you can clean grungy metal parts like old
engine blocks and bell housings.

Doug

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]