Subject: [Shop-talk] HF Predator engines

From: Dave C <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 20:17:32 -0700

Anyone have any experience with/opinions on/etc the Harbor Freight 
Predator engines?  I believe they are more or less a clone of the Honda 
GX series of engines, but some looking around the web seems to indicate 
that the older HF engines can use Honda parts but current engines can 
not.  The clone engines are apparently very popular with karters and for 
building mini bikes.

The reason I'm asking is that I have a small engine repair class at 
school  where the students break down B&S OHV engines, identify the 
parts, reassemble them and then get them to start.  I don't have the 
model number handy but they are a basic OHV engine with a slanted 
crankcase and are a lot like the Honda (and HF) engines. The engines we 
have are four or five years old, and get disassembled six or seven times 
a year, and they're getting kind of worn out. New B&S engines are around 
$300, but I think I can get the HF engines for under $100 with a 25% off 
coupon.  I am probably going to buy one later this week for a test run, 
but I thought I would run it past you folks, too.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "John Niolon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 07:11:08 -0500

HI Dave

I've got a 30 year old 26" Yazoo big wheel mower (bush hog) I've been using 
as a trim mower.Bought it used in the 80's when it had a BS industrial iron 
sleeve engine...replaced the engine one time back around 2000 with a Briggs 
and last year replaced it with a Predator.. it was a perfect bolt up 
replacement .  It's arund 6 hp (although they go by displacement now) and it 
started 2nd pull when installed and had never done any less...  I do shut 
off fuel at end of each day and run it dry but 2nd pull always starts it... 
only maintenance has been oil change at beginning of seasons and air 
filters... The only fault I find is the low oil sensor will shut the engine 
down going across a medium slope.  I disconnected it .  I'm fanatical about 
oil checking and air cleaner cleaning (every time I use it)  so low oil 
usually isn't a problem for me

I'm very pleased with it... It's plenty strong and I have yet to put it in 
anything that would lug the engine down at all...  it was around 90 bucks 
with coupons and warranty... I figured for a hundred bucks I was far ahead 
if  it only lasted one year.  My problem is finding deck parts now.  it has 
a belt/chain drive system and I've got through two junk mowers of parts... 
But it's such a good mower I just can't retire t.

good luck with the HF engines, I don't think you'll be disappointed

later
John

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Dave C" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2013 10:17 PM
Subject: [Shop-talk] HF Predator engines

> Predator engines?  I believe they are more or less a clone of the Honda GX 
> series of engines, but some looking around the web seems to indicate that 
> the older HF engines can use Honda parts but current engines can not.  The 
> clone engines are apparently very popular with karters and for building 
> mini bikes.
>
> The reason I'm asking is that I have a small engine repair class at school 
> where the students break down B&S OHV engines, identify the parts, 
> reassemble them and then get them to start.  I don't have the model number 
> handy but they are a basic OHV engine with a slanted crankcase and are a 
> lot like the Honda (and HF) engines. The engines we have are four or five 
> years old, and get disassembled six or seven times a year, and they're 
> getting kind of worn out. New B&S engines are around $300, but I think I 
> can get the HF engines for under $100 with a 25% off coupon.  I am 
> probably going to buy one later this week for a test run, but I thought I 
> would run it past you folks, too.
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]