Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Storage Container Rental

From: old dirtbeard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 09:50:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Doug,

No answer to your question (unfortunately), but I was wondering what
you decided to do regarding refinishing your floor (e.g., what approach,
materials, etc.).

There are all the epoxy-type roll-on finishes (I did one
previously with poor results here in CA with all the VOC restrictions) and
then the lay-down, "interlocking tile"
approaches, the glue-down tile
approaches and probably some others I do not know about.

best,

doug
________________
'72 BSA B50SS
'74 Moto Guzzi 850T

'01 HD XHL 883
'03 GMC
Cargo Van
'07 Aprilia SXV 550
'13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
________________________________
 From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
To:
Shop-Talk <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:41
AM
Subject: [Shop-talk] Storage Container Rental

Hello,

I was thinking of
re-finishing my garage floor, and of course I would need
a place to put all
the stuff in the garage for a month or two.  Has anyone
ever rented a smaller
shipping container or one of those PODS things?  Any
idea what they charge?  I
would need them to deliver it to my driveway,
and take it away when I am
finished with it.

Thanks,
Doug
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 12:55:09 -0400

On 10/30/2013 12:41 PM, Doug Braun wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was thinking of re-finishing my garage floor, and of course I would need
> a place to put all the stuff in the garage for a month or two.  Has anyone
> ever rented a smaller shipping container or one of those PODS things?  Any
> idea what they charge?  I would need them to deliver it to my driveway,
> and take it away when I am finished with it.

I did. Don't remember what they charge, and it's likely widely variable 
based on region. but they do hit you up every time they have to move it. 
If it stays on site it's reasonable.

Also, mine leaked from the roof, so there's that to check for too.

jim

[email-masked]

---

From: Miq Millman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:53:05 -0700

We had a PODS unit on the high school campus for the Lacrosse team to use
to store their gear and change into their pads.

The first year it was a donation, but after that, the charge was something
like $300 for the season--probably about $50-60 a month.  This was a couple
years ago, about 2009/2010 so pricing might have changed

Interior construction was as Eric described, plywood with vertical 2x4
studs.  I hung some coat racks with decking screws into the studs, and we
eventually put in some of the 1 meter^2 rubber mats from Home Depot to keep
the wood floor nice(ish) in the muddy season.

Weather proof for the most part, not as good as a Tuffshed, but it was easy
to take away when done.

--
__
Miq Millman   [email-masked]
Tualatin, OR  Big Llama Productions

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>wrote:

> based on region. but they do hit you up every time they have to move it. If
> it stays on site it's reasonable.
>
> ______________________________**_________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**options/shop-talk/miq@
> **bigllama.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]>

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 13:55:27 -0400

My garage is 24' x 24' with a nice smooth crack-free concrete floor, and
the house is about 30 years old.  When I bought the house 7 years ago, I
painted the floor with epoxy (one of those kits form HD).  I did a careful
job with the prep, including a power-washing and an acid etch, and the job
looked great for a while, but after a couple of years it started
blistering, and and now it has random bare spots all over the place.

I had been despairing over what to do about it, but I recently discovered
that I can rent a diamond-blade concrete floor stripper that would get rid
of all the old paint in a few hour's work.  So now I can think about what
it could be replaced with.  Porcelain tile sounds cool, but it would be a
big expensive time-consuming job.  Instead I might use a better type of
epoxy or some other type of coating system, like polyurea or siloxane.

I would rather not use those plastic tiles, since I expect to do messy
things like sanding, grinding, and welding, which could damage the tiles.

The original job was easy to do since we hadn't yet moved into the house,
and the garage was empty.  But today the logistics are more complicated...

Doug

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM, old dirtbeard <[email-masked]>wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> No answer to your question (unfortunately), but I was wondering what you
> decided to do regarding refinishing your floor (e.g., what approach,
> materials, etc.).
>
> There are all the epoxy-type roll-on finishes (I did one previously with
> poor results here in CA with all the VOC restrictions) and then the
> lay-down, "interlocking tile"
> approaches, the glue-down tile approaches and probably some others I do
> not know about.

[email-masked]

---

From: Battmain <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 12:40:02 -0700 (PDT)

Don't forget to check local ordinances if they require a permit. My new
neighbor was complaining he got cited for having a 'pod' without a permit.
When I checked years ago, it was cheaper to move the stuff to local storage
facility.

Brian

>(snip) 
>ever rented a smaller shipping
container or one of those PODS things?  Any
>(snip)

[email-masked]

---

From: "Eric J Russell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 20:37:55 -0400 a=i8fVtPW5oWAA:10 a=P2oOn6vrs4wA:10 a=8nJEP1OIZ-IA:10 a=S2wpYzp2RsyRkoRNwqcm1Q==:17 a=OjWtkkGPXCabgGTN4ZoA:9 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10 a=S2wpYzp2RsyRkoRNwqcm1Q==:117 reip=0.000, cl=1, cld=1, fgs=0

When we remodeled our garage I rented a storage container to put all my 
tools & an MGA in during deconstruction/reconstruction. The cost was not 
unreasonable but I did feel ripped off about having to buy their lock. It is 
an odd style that I can't really use otherwise.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

----- Original Message ----- 

[email-masked]