Subject: [Shop-talk] testing coaxial cable

From: "John Niolon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 06:37:20 -0500

I know there are some hams or experienced RF people on here so here's the
question for them.  I'm getting my old ham gear (only VHF and UHF) and getting
some emergency communication ability back.  I've had several rolls of RG-8
stored in the loft of the garage for years.

Wondering if it's deteriorated or degraded.  I hooked up a test as follows
xmitter to SWR bridge to coax test piece to dummy load ... saw full xmitter
power on bridge (of course)  and zero reflected

Then  xmitter to coax test piece to SWR bridge to dummy load and saw the same
thing... reflected power was slight tick on the meter...a needle width..

I see no continuity between shield and center conductor.

Is there any other test I can do to this coax to assure I'm getting good thru
put of RF ??

thanks
John

Many people are alive only because it's illegal to shoot them.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive