Subject: [Shop-talk] Storage Container Rental

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 12:41:08 -0400

Hello,

I was thinking of re-finishing my garage floor, and of course I would need
a place to put all the stuff in the garage for a month or two.  Has anyone
ever rented a smaller shipping container or one of those PODS things?  Any
idea what they charge?  I would need them to deliver it to my driveway,
and take it away when I am finished with it.

Thanks,
Doug
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 12:46:45 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 10/30/2013 12:46:55, Serialize complete at 10/30/2013 12:46:55

Doug asks about containers...

Doug, there are a few options here.  First, visit your local U-Haul.  They 
have varying sized containers that are pretty cheap to rent.

While there, take a close look at them, many are made with lumber and 
plywood, then covered with a weatherproof canvas or rubber.  You could 
make something yourself cheaper once you see what it actually is.

Next, if you live next to a major shipping port, contact them.  They often 
GIVE AWAY shipping containers that are not 'shipping worthy.'  All it 
would cost you is to have someone deliver it to your house.

Or, see if you can rent an enclosed trailer from a trailer dealer nearby. 
They may have a used unit that they will rent for cheap (since it will not 
really be used on the roads.)  This also gives you the advantage of 
rolling the trailer right next to the building to load/empty it, but then 
you can move it away from the doorway to keep it from being in the way.

If you can't rent it, maybe buy a used one and resell it when you are 
done.  They don't really depreciate in value (I bought one in 2010 and 
recently resold if for $200 less than I paid for.  Not bad for a 3 year 
rental.) 

I have no idea about PODS or any of those services, but I've heard they 
were pretty pricey.

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 13:56:42 -0400

> recently resold if for $200 less than I paid for.  Not bad for a 3 year

Nice idea, renting or buying a trailer...

Doug

[email-masked]