Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Installing multiple 240 outlets.

From: David Hillman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 14:07:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013, [email-masked] wrote:
> Just running a 240/40 amp outlet to the point I need it, then put a plug
> on the car charger and leave it plugged in.  Just unplug it when I need to
> use the welder.
>
> But, I was wondering if there was a way to hardwire the charger and have
> the plug open normally.  Is there any safety concern if I did this?

    I would be willing to bet that the charger has an owner's manual of 
some sort that tells you explicitly how you may and may not wire it.  The 
safety concern would be, obviously, that if you ( or someone less careful 
) try to pull more than 20a from the plug while the charger is 
operating, you will overload the circuit.  That will probably just trip 
the breaker, but it isn't 'safe'.  Plus the possiblity of the charger 
malfunctioning, and being hardwired without a disconnect switch (other 
than the breaker).

    The cheapest proper way to do it would be your initial description, one 
run, one 40a receptacle, and matching plugs on each device, plus the minor 
inconvenience of unplugging the charger.

> BTW, for those that may be looking for an electric car, I did major
> amounts of research and extended test drives (with metrics) on three of
> them (Smartcar electric, Leaf, Volt.).  I went with the Chevy Volt because
> it was best for my needs (but might not be best for yours).  If anyone is
> considering one of these cars, let me know and I can send you my findings.

    No Ford Focus on your list?

    I get a kick out of my colleague who bought an electric motorcycle 
recently ( Brammo ).  For what he spent, he could've bought a cheap Ducati,
invested the difference in a nice dividend-paying fund, and used the 
proceeds to buy himself gas, and lunch everyday.  And he wouldn't need to 
take the bike to Walgreens for a quick charge on lunch.

--
  David Hillman
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Paul Parkanzky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 17:00:00 -0400

I faced a similar situation when I wired my garage.  I ended up running a
circuit to my compressor, which is hard-wired,and then putting a 220v outlet
next to the compressor on the same circuit for occasional use.  I just have to
make sure that the compressor is turned off if I'm going to plug something in
to that outlet.

I don't see why this is a safety concern.  I have many outlets wired to each
15 or 20A circuit in my house.  I can plug a 12A load into any if them, but I
can't run two 12A loads off of one.  It's the same in the garage but with
another hot leg.

-Paul

> On Sep 20, 2013, at 11:57 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
>
> OK, here is my situation..
>
> I need to install 240v lines for 2 devices across the shop.  Since this is
> over 50' and these are 40 amp circuits, I was wondering if there was a way
> that I could save on the wire costs.
>
> The 2 devices are an outlet for welder/plasma cutter.  It will be RARELY
> used (only if I need to weld or cut something outside the shop.)
> The other device is a electric car charger.  It's a 240v 20 amp circuit (I
> didn't think that the amps were correct, but it is.)  This will be used
> nightly.
> They will never be used at the same time.
>
> Here is what I was thinking of doing...
>
> If you are spending more than $200 a month of fuel, and you work less than
> 30 miles away from your home, these could SAVE you money each month!
>
> I have no interest  in any of them, nor do I work for any of these firms.
> I'm just pretty good at math and it made sense to me!
>
> Eric P

[email-masked]