Subject: [Shop-talk] Installing multiple 240 outlets.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 11:57:28 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 09/20/2013 11:57:40, Serialize complete at 09/20/2013 11:57:40

OK, here is my situation..

I need to install 240v lines for 2 devices across the shop.  Since this is 
over 50' and these are 40 amp circuits, I was wondering if there was a way 
that I could save on the wire costs.

The 2 devices are an outlet for welder/plasma cutter.  It will be RARELY 
used (only if I need to weld or cut something outside the shop.)
The other device is a electric car charger.  It's a 240v 20 amp circuit (I 
didn't think that the amps were correct, but it is.)  This will be used 
nightly.
They will never be used at the same time.

Here is what I was thinking of doing...

Just running a 240/40 amp outlet to the point I need it, then put a plug 
on the car charger and leave it plugged in.  Just unplug it when I need to 
use the welder.

But, I was wondering if there was a way to hardwire the charger and have 
the plug open normally.  Is there any safety concern if I did this?

BTW, for those that may be looking for an electric car, I did major 
amounts of research and extended test drives (with metrics) on three of 
them (Smartcar electric, Leaf, Volt.).  I went with the Chevy Volt because 
it was best for my needs (but might not be best for yours).  If anyone is 
considering one of these cars, let me know and I can send you my findings. 

If you are spending more than $200 a month of fuel, and you work less than 
30 miles away from your home, these could SAVE you money each month!

I have no interest  in any of them, nor do I work for any of these firms. 
I'm just pretty good at math and it made sense to me!

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 09:39:07 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 09/21/2013 09:39:18, Serialize complete at 09/21/2013 09:39:18

David asks...
>No Ford Focus on your list?

It was on the list, but after seeing the same results with the other two 
all electric cars, I felt there was no reason to waste my time.  It was 
listed at about the same ranges, etc.

The problem is my range.  Most electric cars work best if your daily 
commute is either 30 miles or less, or less than 60 miles, but you can 
charge at work.

My need is 34 miles one way, and no ability to charge at work (yet.)

That is why I went with the volt.  Once the battery is gone, you got 
unlimited fuel.

With the Volt, I can now pressure my employer to get the charging station, 
because I already have a car to use on it, but I can use the gas until 
they do.

The only reason I did this was that the numbers worked or me (I need an 
SUV that gets poor milage frequently but not as a daily commuter), so my 
fuel costs were $460 a month at $3.50 a gallon.

I have 2 spreadsheets and (for those into  higher level analysis) a 
"analysis of competing hypothesis" matrix that all point to the Volt as 
the answer.*

So the new vehicle, with all the costs (insurance, etc) was less than I 
was currently spending, and I gain a new car in the process and save the 
milage of my SUV which I love and can keep much longer now.

Oh, I have solar at my house, so that makes a recharge 'free' for me as 
well.

 I have a feeling that in 3 to 5 years, electric cars will be more of the 
'norm' and not fringe.

*=(I have no problem sharing these with anyone interested.)

Eric P

[email-masked]