Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] .25mm too big

From: "Mark Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 11:48:47 -0700

A few options you could try:
Since the bolt is not the hard to get item perhaps reassemble the original
one and mash the threads a bit after the nut is on as a lock.
Or: bend the nut to create the locking effect you need.
Or: run a tap through the holes the bolt will go through followed by a
sacrificial bolt that you will strip the hole out with to open it up a bit.
Or: get way longer bolts and bend then to act as a lock.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing to solve the problem.

Mark Miller
Also a happy Datsun roadster owner, happier that my nuts are secure!

Tim said:
<<<
I bought longer bolts for the linkage on my webers so I could use two
regurlar nuts locked together instead of nylocks. They are M5-.8 and are
approx one quarter of one mm too big to fit through the linkage pivots. 
The bolts that came with the kit are also M5-.8.

M4s have too much slop and SAE bolts were too big as well.

I ran the new bolts through a die cutter but not much (enought) was cut off
(as expected).

I really don't want to try to drill out the linkage pivot and take a chance
of generating heat and screwing up the rubber bushing.

Thoughts please on what I can do to narrow down the bolts. Maybe a small
round file to try to open up the hole??

Thanks

tim
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive