Subject: [Shop-talk] Water Pressure Relief Valve

From: Jim Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 13:58:39 -0500 FILETIME=[422A8340:01CEB0B3]

The major appliances in the rental property we bought last year were all on
their last legs, but we have been trying to stretch out replacing them as long
as possible to keep it from becoming a money pit.  The furnace and
refrigerator were the first to go.  Stove, dishwasher and air conditioner are
all close behind.  The water heater is from 2002 and, not knowing how well it
was treated in the past, is probably also at the end of its life expectancy.
The pressure release valve had a very slow drip when we took possession, so I
replaced it.  The new one still dripped and, thinking it was a defective
replacement, I replaced that too.  But the drip remained.  It probably drips
about a cup a day, but I have the valve running into a floor drain, so I have
never been too worried about that.  However, yesterday after both my wife and
I took relatively consecutive showers, the valve opened up completely and shot
water out.  I shut off the water supply and the tank and reset the valve and
all has been normal since.  I hadnt notice the setting before the valve
opened, but the water had been very hot and I suspect the renters had turned
it up pretty high.

Is the drip and one time opening up an indication of impending failure?  I am
not happy about spending the money right now, but it is certainly better to
replace it ahead of a catastrophic failure.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 23:24:28 -0700

>  hadnt notice the setting
> before the valve

I bet that's the problem then.  That valve opens for either temperature or
pressure; my guess is that they had the thermostat so
high that the valve was on the verge of blowing open.

Randall

[email-masked]