Subject: [Shop-talk] Engine damage

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 12:17:58 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 09/30/2013 12:18:04, Serialize complete at 09/30/2013 12:18:04

Hello all, theoretical question about engines. 

My co-workers and I were talking about trying to identify if an engine was 
tampered with after it was destroyed. (I work in law enforcement.)

We were wondering, would you be able to tell if someone put sugar in a gas 
tank and it lunched the engine?  Mostly on a small engine verses a car. 
(I'm assuming that a fuel filter would catch any additives in a car.)

If so, is there something else to put in gas that would kill it?  Or 
something else that can be done that was undetectable?

I knew this would be the place for the definitive answer!

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:05 -0400

That whole sugar in the gas tank thing is pretty much just an urban 
legend.  Check out snopes on 
this:  http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp.  This is how they 
did it for the "cash for clunkers" 
program:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0IcIxhd8ks.  But that 
wasn't added to the gas.

-Steve Trovato
[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 11:31:37 -0700

> Sugar doesn't dissolve in water 

Presumably you meant gasoline.  I wonder, though, what would happen with E10?  Sugar will definitely dissolve in ethanol/water
mixtures.

Randall

[email-masked]