Subject: [Shop-talk] dimpling metal ??

From: "John Niolon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 17:24:01 -0500

maybe what you call it...  I need to 'dimple' a piece of metal just like a rim
is dimpled where it fits over the wheel studs... for the same reason...   I'm
making this (see links) and can't figure how to deform the metal into the
right shape...   hyd press with a rounded rod ??  I've got a hyd press (bench
top 20 ton) I use for bending metal...

it will be 1/16 or 1/8" plate and I need to do this pretty accurately so it
will fit the rim... I'm trying to copy a wheel lock gizmo I saw on the net...

http://jniolon.classicpickup.com/hub_closeup1.jpg
http://jniolon.classicpickup.com/back.jpg

suggestions...

Many people are alive only because it's illegal to shoot them.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 03:32:00 -0700

> right shape...   hyd press with a rounded rod ?? 

For accuracy, I'm thinking you'll want a die that fits all 5 stud holes plus
a raised center section to engage the center hole; plus a pin that will fit
a stud hole in the die and an un-punched hole in your "wheel", and a punch
that will slide into each stud hole in the die.

So initially, the die will be located to the wheel by the center hole and
one lug hole; and the punch will be located to the die through the lug hole
that it is punching.  Once you've punched the first hole, put a bolt & lug
nut through that hole to keep the die in place against the "wheel" while you
punch the other 4 holes.

To make the die, you could lay out the center circle and the bolt circle,
then the 5 lug locations.  Center punch, drill & ream the lug holes, then
counter-sink them at the appropriate angle, extra deep to account for the
material you're going to take off next.  Also drill & ream a center hole to
a convenient size, so you can mount it in the lathe and face off enough
material to create a raised section to engage the center hole in the
"wheel".  If you don't have a lathe that big, you might be able to cobble up
some sort of hole saw to outline the raised section, then mill, grind or
file the other metal away.

Randall

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 08:39:48 -0400

Quoting John Niolon <[email-masked]>:
> I need to 'dimple' a piece of metal it will be 1/16 or 1/8" plate

As mentioned you might be needing a dimpling die. But I'm not sure 
whether they'd work on 1/8" steel. I've used them on sheet metal (18 
ga) and it seems like 1/16" would be taxing their limit. 

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

[email-masked]