Subject: [Shop-talk] 4.54" GRINDER SPINDLE ADAPTER

From: "John Niolon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 11:50:44 -0500

I've got 4 grinders that I use regularly...and all but one have a 5/8" - 11
spindle... I like to keep one with a grinding rock, one with a flap disk, one
with a cutting wheel, one with a wire brush

I've got one Milwaukee 6145 with a 1/2" - 13 spindle and have to use the
flanges to hole the flapdisk on it. I have a load of threaded flappers that I
can use but won't fit this grinder and I'd love to get rid of the flanges and
that funky spanner wrench...

anyone know of a adapter that will screw onto a 1/2" spindle and size up to a
5/8 ????

can't seem to find anything but 5/8 to 10.2 metric (or whatever)

thanks
John

Many people are alive only because it's illegal to shoot them.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Joe Szwed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 11:20:57 -0400

Another thought, some grinders are offered with different sized spindles.  
Maybe you can look at replacement parts and see if they make one with 5/8
spindle and just swap it out.

Joe

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1

> anyone know of a adapter that will screw onto a 1/2" spindle and size 

1/2" is almost the tap drill for 5/8", meaning a sleeve would be weak.
Using a standoff type adapter would probably not be a good idea either,
since it moves the flap wheel farther away from the grinder, which will
increase vibration and the stress on the bearings.

Might be best to just put the grinder with the 1/2" shaft up on eBay and buy
another grinder with 5/8".

Another alternative might be to machine a new shaft with 5/8" threads.

Randall

------------------------------
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]