Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tire Pressure gauges

From: "John Niolon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 08:53:18 -0500

Eric,

I think with a little fab or cobble work you could come up with a homemade 
gauge that would be accurate...  surely one of the major tire gauge 
people... Milton ..etc makes a filler that has a threaded end that could be 
threaded into a 3/8 brass tee... a high quality accurate gauge in one tee 
port and the quick couple adapter into the other... probably wouldn't be 
pocket friendly but it could be extremely accurate... find a good liquid 
filled guage with the proper range... to comply with your anal accuracy 
standard ...check the gauge on known pressure points before assembling..

I'm fairly sure there are ample brass adapters and fittings that you could 
use to cobble this thing up..  I've often wondered the same thing... and 
basically use mine to assure that all 4 tires have the same pressure... my 
accuracy standard isn't quite as high as yours :-)

john
----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:25 AM
Subject: [Shop-talk] Tire Pressure gauges

> OK, here is my most 'anal' post to date...
>
> I've been trying to figure out how to get an *ACCURATE* tire pressure
> gauge.  But I have no idea how to check or calibrate them.
>
> Here is the story, I have to work on tanks that need to be within about a
> PSI or two (range is from about 15PSI to about 50PSI).  Many gauges give
> different readings.
>
> So, without spending a fortune (but I am willing to spend a fair amount),
> where can I get a good one?  One attached to an air fill nozzle would be
> ideal.
>
>
> Thanks.
>
> Eric P
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
> being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph
> Waldo Emerson
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 09:57:36 -0400

> gauge.  But I have no idea how to check or calibrate them.

At least you aren't alone.  The question runs in my family too.   My
dad once went into a tire store with a similar question - "How do you
calibrate your tire gauges?" - and they looked at him like he was from
Jupiter.

I suppose there are electronic gauges that are reasonably accurate,
though a calibration certificate is expensive.  And then there's this:

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=1520&catid=8

Lots more choices here
http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/catlist.asp?catid=8 including an
"economy" gauge for $40 that "reads to 1/2 lb".  No mention of
accuracy, though.  Need to go more $$$ to get them to say anything
about that..

I'm curious as to what others may have to say...

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

[email-masked]

---

From: Mike Rambour <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 08:09:20 -0700

The guys at Longacreracing told me when I was looking that the liquid 
filled will be the most accurate, of course I was not looking at the 
first $360 gauge that Jeff posted.

  I purchased this one 
http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=1120&catid=8 My 
calibration technique consisted of  comparing it to 2 of their digital 
units and it gave the same reading, that was my super accurate 
calibration :)

   To have what you specifically asked for with fill nozzle, take a look 
at 
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/digital+tire+inflating+gun.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search 
I have the dial (or is that analog) version of it and i have been happy, 
its 10+ years old and gives the same reading as the liquid filled gauge.

    It does not answer your calibration question, but I think for tires 
at least, I don't know what you will use it on, that the most important 
thing is consistency, that is why I have 3 gauges one in each car and 
motorcycle and the guys at longacreracing sure like their liquid filled 
guages when you talk to them.

     mike

On 8/13/2013 6:57 AM, Jeff Scarbrough wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 14:13:03 -0400

> gauge.  But I have no idea how to check or calibrate them.

I'm rather fond of this thing from Advance Auto. think auto Zone sells a 
similar one.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_tire-pressure-gauge-victor_1920154-p?searchTerm=tire+gauge

I have one in the car and another in the toolbox, and occasionally check 
them against each other and they agree. And they were purchased a good 
time part. Mom  & riend both have the same one and they are all 
consistent. That's not "accurate" or "calibrated" but a generally good 
sign. It has a nice bleed-down button, you you an sihtly overfill the 
tire, then bleed down to 1/2 psi or so.

TireRack.com sale a bunch of fancy digital ones, too.

-wc

[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 21:59:47 -0700

Eric - I have an Accu-Gage that I've been very happy with. It is similar to
www.amazon.com/Accu-Gage-100-Dial-Tire-Gauge/dp/B0006O2S1E/

They also have a 60 psi gauge. When getting some tires a number of years 
ago on my TR6, I spent a while talking to the shop manager. We talked 
about autocrossing and he asked how I checked my pressures. I showed him 
my gauge and he offered to check it for me. They had some sort of way to 
check and said the gauge was right on. If you have a good tire place you 
use, you could check with them to see if they will test your gauge.

This gauge also has the bleed button in another reply and I recommend it 
as a good feature.

They also have a gauge with a filler chuck so you can connect the gauge 
then add air while you monitor pressure.
http://www.amazon.com/Accu-Gage-EZ02-Gauge-Filler-Chuck/dp/B0074B9DA6/

Brian

On 8/13/2013 6:25 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]