Subject: [Shop-talk] Tire Pressure gauges

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 09:25:36 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 08/13/2013 09:25:39, Serialize complete at 08/13/2013 09:25:39

OK, here is my most 'anal' post to date...

I've been trying to figure out how to get an *ACCURATE* tire pressure 
gauge.  But I have no idea how to check or calibrate them.

Here is the story, I have to work on tanks that need to be within about a 
PSI or two (range is from about 15PSI to about 50PSI).  Many gauges give 
different readings.

So, without spending a fortune (but I am willing to spend a fair amount), 
where can I get a good one?  One attached to an air fill nozzle would be 
ideal.

Thanks.

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Todd Walke <[email-masked]> mail.megageek.com> localhost.scooter.p.blarg.net
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 08:24:02 -0700

>gauge.  But I have no idea how to check or calibrate them.

         Here is your solution.  Imperial Supplies has calibrateable tire 
gauges

http://www.imperialsupplies.com , under Hardware, Tire Hardware

Calibratable gauges:
http://www.imperialsupplies.com/pdf/vol20/page/M39.pdf
http://www.imperialsupplies.com/pdf/vol21/page/N53.pdf

They also have an Air Gauge Test Station:
http://www.imperialsupplies.com/pdf/3523-1_Tire-Gauge_Care_Use.pdf
http://www.imperialsupplies.com/item/0739570  (includes video of 
calibration procedure)

This could be fabbed up fairly easily.  A piece of pipe with ends welded 
up, a port with a regulator for filling the pipe with air at a specific 
pressure, a port fitted with an accurate test gauge (McMaster has 
High-Accuracy Gauges that would work) and a Shader valve to attach the tire 
gauge you want to test.

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 276,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       412,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a new 
home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark Andy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 11:39:18 -0400

Howdy,

Is the idea to have a single gauge that you want to use to make sure two
tanks have 'equal' pressure (i.e. repeat-ability is very important, but
accuracy is less so) or that you want a permanent mount gauge on each tank?

Standard racing oriented tire pressure gauges should be fine for the first
use, but I wouldn't trust them much for the second.

Mark

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Todd Walke <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://www.imperialsupplies.**com <http://www.imperialsupplies.com> ,
> under Hardware, Tire Hardware
>
> Calibratable gauges:
> http://www.imperialsupplies.**com/pdf/vol20/page/M39.pdf<http://www.imperialsupplies.com/pdf/vol20/page/M39.pdf>
> http://www.imperialsupplies.**com/pdf/vol21/page/N53.pdf<http://www.imperialsupplies.com/pdf/vol21/page/N53.pdf>
>
> http://www.imperialsupplies.**com/pdf/3523-1_Tire-Gauge_**Care_Use.pdf<http://www.imperialsupplies.com/pdf/3523-1_Tire-Gauge_Care_Use.pdf>
> http://www.imperialsupplies.**com/item/0739570<http://www.imperialsupplies.com/item/0739570> (includes video of calibration procedure)
>
> '87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a
> new home :(
> ______________________________**_________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/shop-talk/marka@**maracing.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]>

[email-masked]