Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Recoil starter repair?

From: "Karl Vacek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 20:33:49 -0500

The recoil assembly is part of the air shroud - no need to pull the
flywheel.  It engages the inside of the flywheel nut or a separate ratchet
held on by the flywheel nut.  Likely four screws and it's off the shroud.
Once it's off, you should be able to wind the spring up and slip the new
rope into the reel without too much trouble.  Take it off and you'll see how
simple it is.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave C
Subject: [Shop-talk] Recoil starter repair?

I need to replace the nylon pull rope on my log splitter.  If it's a PITA or
I would need a special puller I might just tow it down to the local small
engine place and let them do it. 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 20:19:08 -0700

I had a 2000 Briggs mower and had to replace the string.  It was a 
little smaller than your splitter, but should be similar.

In my case, I undid the screws holding the gas tank on and moved it 
enough to be out of the way.  I then popped off a plastic cap over the 
string area and removed the top portion of the cover, to include the 
string/recoil mechanism.  I did not have to do anything internal to the 
engine.  Like Karl said, the cover/ pull mechanism just engages the engine.

If you string broke, you are going to have to figure out how much 
tension is necessary and may have to wind it a time or two.

If the existing string still works, prepare the end of the new string to 
thread through the hole in the reel.  I heated it with a lighter then 
rolled it to be narrow and slightly pointed.  Then pull the old string 
to the limit and jam the reel in position with the old string extended.  
I had a place to stick a screwdriver.  I then cut the old string, put in 
the new string through the cover and into the reel, and tied the knot at 
the reel end.  I then used the old string to get the right length for 
the new string an knotted it at the grip end.  Release the reel and let 
it wind in the new string then give it a test pull.  If all is good, put 
it back together and you are good for another decade or two.

Brian

On 8/4/2013 6:22 PM, Dave C wrote:
> I need to replace the nylon pull rope on my log splitter.  It's an 
> older (probably about 20 years) Briggs, vertical shaft, 5HP with a 
> full plastic shroud over the motor.  It looks like the gas tank is 
> built into the shroud, but I haven't looked closely.  Anyway, the cord 
> is all frayed and I need to replace it, or have it replaced. I haven't 
> dug out the manual yet, but wanted to get a sense for how much trouble 
> it is to do it myself.  If it's a PITA or I would need a special 
> puller I might just tow it down to the local small engine place and 
> let them do it.
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Dave C <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 20:54:37 -0700

Thanks.  I got the top cover off without any problems and now I just 
have to get a new piece of line.  Looks like it's going to be a little 
easier than I thought.

On 8/4/2013 8:19 PM, Brian Kemp wrote:
> string/recoil mechanism.  I did not have to do anything internal to 
> the engine.  Like Karl said, the cover/ pull mechanism just engages 
> the engine.
>
> If the existing string still works, prepare the end of the new string 
> to thread through the hole in the reel.  I heated it with a lighter 
> then rolled it to be narrow and slightly pointed.  Then pull the old 
> string to the limit and jam the reel in position with the old string 
> extended.  I had a place to stick a screwdriver.  I then cut the old 
> string, put in the new string through the cover and into the reel, and 
> tied the knot at the reel end.  I then used the old string to get the 
> right length for the new string an knotted it at the grip end.  
> Release the reel and let it wind in the new string then give it a test 
> pull.  If all is good, put it back together and you are good for 
> another decade or two.
>
> Brian
>
>> built into the shroud, but I haven't looked closely.  Anyway, the 
>> cord is all frayed and I need to replace it, or have it replaced. I 
>> haven't dug out the manual yet, but wanted to get a sense for how 
>> much trouble it is to do it myself.  If it's a PITA or I would need a 
>> special puller I might just tow it down to the local small engine 
>> place and let them do it.

[email-masked]