Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Nuts and Bolts

From: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 00:10:50 -0500

Randall wrote:

Yeah, but how much does it cost in fuel and time to drive to the store to
pick up just one bolt?  Especially at 5:55 on Sunday, when the store
closes  at 6.  If they even have the right size in stock.

*Now we're back to why I have a bolt bin, AND your Chinese bolt will likely
fatigue-strip and dump your T-bone in the dirt tomorrow :->.*
*Tony in Texas*

On 18 August 2013 23:53, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > My Grade 5 bolts cost a buck thirty more than grade 2 PER
> > POUND!  Gosh, that must be nearly a nickel each for a decent bolt!
>
> Yeah, but how much does it cost in fuel and time to drive to the store to
> pick up just one bolt?  Especially at 5:55 on Sunday, when the store closes
> at 6.  If they even have the right size in stock.
>
> And the BBQ grille will never know the difference.  I could put a mil-spec
> titanium bolt in there, and it would grill just the same.
>
> -- Randall
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 07:13:19 -0500

Yep, if I were you, I'd stick with the pasta.
Tony

On 19 August 2013 06:54, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > AND your Chinese
> > bolt will likely
> > fatigue-strip and dump your T-bone in the dirt tomorrow
>
> The trick is in knowing if a fastener is adequate for the job.  Some
> applications, even Grade 8 won't cut the mustard (5 is actually pretty
> soft); but sometimes even old pasta will do.  That particular bolt has been
> doing it's job for some 30 years now, so I really doubt it will fail
> tomorrow.
>
> -- Randall

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 06:23:31 -0600

> doing it's job for some 30 years now, so I really doubt it will fail

Just to elaborate--there is a grading system precisely because some 
bolts are just fine for some applications, but not for others. The same 
is true of bearings.  The ABEC bearing system was developed for the same 
reason the SAE fastener system was devised.  It's just part of an 
industrial system developed over generations with the principle of 
optimum utility in mind.  It's a waste of money and resources to use 
hardware far beyond the demands required of it. What's much more 
important is to know _when_ and _how_ to use the right fastener for the job.

Cheers.

-- 

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Karl Vacek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 09:27:39 -0500

I'm not taking sides here - I have a number of heavy drawers of
highly-assorted nuts and bolts that go back to my dad and grandfather, and I
do the stupid dig when necessary.

BUT - Tony's response definitely wins my humor of the day award !!

> *Now we're back to why I have a bolt bin, AND your Chinese bolt will
likely fatigue-strip and dump your T-bone in the dirt tomorrow :->.* *Tony
in Texas*
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]