Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Fix or replace washer?

From: Paul Parkanzky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 14:09:11 -0400

Unless you're itching for the satisfaction you get from fixing it yourself,
I'd junk it.  You can buy a used washing machine on Craigslist for $100
that is newer than that anytime you want one.  Especially when you say that
you "believe" that the timer has failed.

-Paul

On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 1:53 PM, David Scheidt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Weve got a 15 or so old ge washing machine. I believe the timer has failed.
> The motor runs if I jumper it. My question is it worth fixing. Timer is
> $100
> or &150, depending on source and wait time. It's a plastic tub machine, not
> quite bottom of line, but close.
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 14:36:35 -0400

Junk it!
On Aug 3, 2013 2:03 PM, "David Scheidt" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 15:20:42 -0400

On 8/3/2013 1:53 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
> The motor runs if I jumper it. My question is it worth fixing. Timer is $100

I'm a big fan of "fix it", but if it's that old and an econo' model I'd 
be inclined to replace.

The [ex]wife & I had a cheap GE top-load washer back in 2003. Then we 
had a recently divorced family member shack up with us for a while till 
she was back on her feet. During that time we bought a Whirpool Duet 
front-loader pair, and I freakin' love the things, despite the price 
tag. My propane (hot water) and electric bill actually dropped 
noticeably after buying it, WITH a 3rd person in the house. And it 
didn't shred the ladies' delicate [expensive] stuff like the old 
agitator did. It spins the water out in the washer, so you don't have to 
burn crazy energy to overcome water's absurd latent heat of vaporization 
to boil it out in the dryer. Electric dryer load usually finishes in 
under 30 [sometimes 20] minutes.

Caveat: dryer puked a temp sensor 1 month out of warranty. Both units 
have an extensive printed service manual inside the cabinet if you pull 
3 screws to get in. Self diagnostics are easy. Parts was $20 and an easy 
install. Local small town appliance shop didn't even ask what it was, 
they had a box right behind the counter. Whirlpool's quality is a little 
spotty, but parts are cheap and they're easy to work on. G.E. parts are 
expensive, and I despise their corporation. The Korean brands look good 
but I don't know about getting them services.

   -Wayne

[email-masked]

---

From: Shannah Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 12:22:57 -0700

I'd go for a hybrid approach: get a new(er) washing
machine, and use the tub and any other suitable parts
to make a really nice firepit.

On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 10:53 AM, David Scheidt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Shannah Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 12:25:50 -0700

Can I take back that comment?  I missed the part
about it being a plastic tub washer, and that would
make a lousy firepit.

On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Shannah Miller <[email-masked]>wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 10:53 AM, David Scheidt <[email-masked]>wrote:
>
>> Unsubscribe/Manage <http://www.team.net/forumsUnsubscribe/Manage>:

[email-masked]

---

From: "Peter J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 16:56:54 -0400

> quite bottom of line, but close.

At 15 years, the timer was probably just the first part to go. Motor or 
transmission is next.  The springs for self balance are probably 
stretched by now.  Aging rubber hoses and deteriorating plastic parts 
(exposed to ozone created by the motor) which could ruin other things if 
they leak.

I'm a fan of fix it.  I replaced a transmission after 5 years and got 
another 5 years out of it.  But if you factor the time plus another 
major part and trips to the laundry mat (which ain't cheap) you starting 
to approach the cost of a newer better machine.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]