Subject: [Shop-talk] High Hydrocarbons

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 20:06:01 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 08/26/2013 20:05:59, Serialize complete at 08/26/2013 20:05:59

OK, if you remember, I asked about a 1991 2500 Chevy pick up that had been 
sitting for 5 years.

We got it running, and it failed inspection for hydrocarbons being too 
high (they were 466 and max allowed was 220ppm)
The CO%  was very low (.68)

So, I checked all the vacuums and they were good.  I changed the wires, 
plugs, rotor, distributor cap, and air cleaner.

After that, the HC were dropped to 240ppm (20 points too high.)  The CO% 
went up to .94  (still under the max of 1.20.)

So, I'm guessing that I can get it down with an additive or running really 
hot (or cold.)

What is the collective wisdom of what I can do next to get the last 20 
points?  Free is best.

Thanks in advance!

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Peter Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 20:37:40 -0400

Is the crankcase rebreather working? What about the catalytic converter?
Oxygen sensors?

-Peter
On Aug 26, 2013 8:29 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Battmain <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 19:01:00 -0700 (PDT)

--------------------------------------------
(snip)

So, I'm guessing that I can get it down with an additive or
 running really
 hot (or cold.)

 What is the collective wisdom of what I can do next to get
 the last 20
 points?  Free is best.

(snip)

============================

Raise the idle by a hundred or two hundred and make sure the engine is warm
when you get tested.

At one point I had to raise the idle by 400rpms and I kinda covered up the
tach. I got caught once and went back later that same day to someone else and
passed with the high idle. Thankfully that testing crap has been gone for a
few years now and the car still runs. It took a few months but I did
eventually fix.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 07:02:18 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 08/28/2013 07:02:18, Serialize complete at 08/28/2013 07:02:18

Is there a way to test O2 sensors?  I'm guessing the cat isn't poisoned 
since it doesn't smell.  How do I check a crankcase rebreather?  This is a 
91, so there is no OBD II Connector.

Eric P

Peter Murray <[email-masked]> 
08/26/2013 08:19 PM

To
[email-masked]
cc
[email-masked]
Subject
Re: [Shop-talk] High Hydrocarbons

Thanks in advance!

Eric P

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 10:53:14 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 08/28/2013 10:51:10, Serialize complete at 08/28/2013 10:51:10

There is a connector that my OBD II connector doesn't fix.  How do I 
'short' it to get the codes?

Eric P

Battmain <[email-masked]> 
Sent by: [email-masked]
08/28/2013 10:22 AM
Please respond to
Battmain <[email-masked]>

To
shoptalk <[email-masked]>
cc

Subject

Pre_OBD II still had a diagnostic connector that you could short to see if 
there are any codes. (at least my cars did.)

Brian

>________________________________
> From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked] 
>Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 7:02 AM
>Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] High Hydrocarbons
> 
>
>(snip) This is a 91, so there is no OBD II Connector.
>(snip)

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 16:25:38 GMT

I would think if the O2 sensor was out of range it would turn on a check
engine light.I was pleased to learn that my daughter's 91 E30 BMW had a
procedure where you short 2 pins on thier special BMW interface connector to
enable a check engine light blinking capability where you could read the
codes.  Not sure if the domestic stuff had something similar or not.

Matt
---------- Original Message ----------
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] High Hydrocarbons
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 10:53:14 -0400

Eric P

To

Subject

Brian

[email-masked]

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 10:51:57 -0700

> engine light.

I agree, if the ECU has gone into limp mode, then it will certainly light
the trouble light.  But, O2 sensors usually fail gradually, so it still may
be that a new sensor will improve tailpipe emissions.

>I was pleased to learn that my daughter's 91 E30 
> BMW had a
> codes. 

I think that has been a standard feature, ever since trouble codes were
invented.  In addition, most cars have a magic sequence that will flash the
codes (or at least a subset of them).  I forget the exact sequence for my GM
car offhand, but it's something like hold the accelerator partway down and
turn the key on-off-on-off-on with a 2 second pause in each position.

Randall

[email-masked]