Subject: [Shop-talk] oil leak detection dye

From: Tim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 18:17:52 -0400 (EDT)

Has anyone here used one of these products? Are there any specific 
engine types that it shouldn't be used on?

Any advice solicited.

Thanks!
tim
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Tony Vaccaro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 22:54:36 -0400

All of the Castrol oils that I know of have a ultraviolet additive that is
visible under that light.

You can buy an additive at any good auto parts store and put it in your oil,
but I would check you oil first with a UV light.

Tony Vaccaro
Lotus Owners of NY  (LOONY)
www.lotusowners.com
716-861-1412

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tim
Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2013 6:18 PM
To: Shop Talk
Subject: [Shop-talk] oil leak detection dye

Has anyone here used one of these products? Are there any specific engine
types that it shouldn't be used on?

Any advice solicited.

Thanks!
tim

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Karl Vacek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 09:53:52 -0500

I was surprised to learn that engine oils show up nicely under UV light
without any dye.  A dye may make it glow even brighter, but with a good UV
light you can see oil leaks just fine as long as there's a little shade.

Here's one - Amazon has quite a few, and I was amazed at the quality and low
price of the one (looks identical) that I bought a few years ago.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SIR08C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&ps
c=1&smid=A23BMDV6UOKQGP

Karl

PS - Also reveals biological products of all sorts on all types of surfaces
in all types of places.  Not for the squeamish...

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim

[email-masked]

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 11:22:46 -0400

> light you can see oil leaks just fine as long as there's a little shade.
Dyes can also change the color it fluoresces. That is handy for finding a leak
in a dirty engine compartment.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]