Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] High Hydrocarbons

From: "ElanS4" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 18:10:34 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:
>
>I changed the wires, plugs, rotor, distributor cap, and air cleaner.

After you changed the distributor cap, etc., did you get out the old timing
light?  Slight changes in the timing can make big changes in the emissions.

Also, as far as upping the idle and hoping you don't get caught, I just had
my car tested today - it passed.  The readout includes the idle speed, and
if the idle is not in the proper range, it automatically fails.  You can set
it to the high side of "normal" but not too high.

Tim Mullen
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 17:55:26 -0500

When Minnesota had testing I know of an individual that would buy a gallon 
of alcohol at the paint store, add it to a less than half full gas tank, 
drive the mile and a half from the Big Box Store to the testing station, 
pass the test with flying colors, then immediately drive two blocks to the 
gas station and fill the tank with gas as that much alcohol can be tough on 
the fuel system.

Maybe only a quart would have done the job. Who knows.

Eventually Minnesota dropped the nonsense.

Arvid 

[email-masked]