Subject: [Shop-talk] Pipe Threading

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 23:34:36 -0400

Hey Guys,
Question about pipe threading. My garage / shop is partially below grade 
on the bottom level of my house. It has an original propane water heater 
that has been replaced with an electric unit in a different place (long 
story.)

I want to remove it to free up space in the corner of the garage where 
it's sitting. I can cap off the water supply lines no prob. Problem is 
-- there is a black iron threaded gas supply line that drops down from 
the sheetrock ceiling to 2' above the floor. Not sure how to cap-off or 
remove it.

Whatever fitting it threads into is inaccessible in the ceiling. I don't 
want 7 feet of pipe hanging down. Is it feasible to saw off the pipe, 
somehow thread it, and put a cap on? Ideally, I'd just put a pipe wrench 
on the fitting, and replace it with a pipe nipple & cap.

-Thanks, Wayne
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 20:48:53 -0700

---- Wayne <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> Is it feasible to saw off the pipe, 
> somehow thread it, and put a cap on? 

Sounds feasible to me, if you are reasonably coordinated.  You'll need a pipe threader to fit your pipe; then you're going to be standing on a ladder, holding the pipe with one hand and the threader with the other while laying into the threader with a fair amount of force.
http://tinyurl.com/l79hgoa

I might think about giving the gardener $20 to do it for me.

Randall

[email-masked]