Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Routers, again

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 18:07:46 -0400

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Dave C <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The computer kind.
>
> So would anyone like to suggest a basic modern wifi and hardwired router
> with decent range and throughput, and that won't take an EE to set up?

I bought one of these, refurbished, from this vendor in January 2011:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5569261&CatId=2668

It fills my house, and as far as I can recall hasn't dropped a
connection or needed rebooting since then.

Jeff Scarbrough
Tesla Acres, Ga.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Battmain <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 16:09:59 -0700 (PDT)

For DSL, IMO, you're not really gaining anything by replacing the router,
unless you want to update the wireless
security. Older routers did WEP
encryption, the newer ones do WPA2, which is what the newer wireless cards
handle. 
To communicate with the wireless devices, you have wireless N, but
upcoming is wireless AC. So may want to wait 
for everybody to get to the
standard. It's a mismatch at the moment, quite similar to how wireless N was
when it was introduced. 

I think we need to determine first if you're going
to move from DSL to cable internet. (like I'm going to do.) 
If so, then it
will be worth it to get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem which increases the throughput at
high speed. The
forums are reporting noticeable speed improvement after
upgrading their modems from docsis 2.0. 
Then the router needs to be able to
handle the high speed data without choking. The ASUS  wireless AC routers 
are
getting mixed  reviews. I've read both good and bad about them. 

Brian

-----
Original Message -----
> From: Dave C <[email-masked]>
> To: Shop Talk
List <[email-masked]>
> Cc: 
> Sent: Thursday, July 4, 2013 2:04 PM
> Subject: [Shop-talk] Routers, again
> 
>T he computer kind.
> 
> OK, when we
got DSL some time ago (probably seven or eight years ago) we 
> got whatever
Westell wifi router that Verizon provided with the 
> service.  It still works
ok but it's slow and the range is pretty 
> pathetic.   I think it's time for
a replacement.   If you go to Amazon 
> or Newegg there are a ton of routers
and the reviews are all over the 
> place.
> So would anyone like to
suggest a basic modern wifi and hardwired router 
> with decent range and
throughput, and that won't take an EE to set up?
> Thanks
> 
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Dave C <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 19:14:27 -0700

Probably not.  We live in a rural area and I don't even know who the 
cable provider is (we get TV via satellite) We don't even have reliable 
cell service.  The problem is we are down a 900 foot long driveway and 
we have underground phone and power from the house back to the street 
with the power/phone lines, and I don't plan to trench back for cable.  
I'm stuck with DSL for the foreseeable future.

On 7/4/2013 4:09 PM, Battmain wrote:
>   think we need to determine first if you're going
> to move from DSL to cable internet.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mark Watson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 08:20:41 -0400 s=q20121106; t=1373026849; bh=AMlgfLABuc0bvB0e6sYkQo2czJwbaIo0vIetvPcKq7k=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=Bih80YwfbyN0jEwTJVYEGN31KqJsMFXXu4R9F8A/73Buz7AvLE3nwpTGA5WfWYKAZ Zhm7q/mppYpYm55uCRW4bPHODMDeKHyfhls/IJ/iYNKAX0kdTbpolhZPLYj/kp5cST Od95ehavEdYpa5lCTchkgv6XSFsJiyceFt30mF50ehMONcnswgRy5k8OU7oeyxGHFp CSutq3fRZId03bIJO/rzPoe3CoCDPk7bYiQxQ4g4ANXsAJVJ9CHw7QV9EiVKfKwdG6 ekx7EiLpXczMZbNV6T4890yIdCZbEXetxx7EbVTQMTcLeGi0VHfgHO+Iy8tZqRnAO+ TSR6ynRUlr5aA==

Hi,

    Recently I replaced an old Belkin with an Asus RT-N66U.  It was a bit 
more expensive but I've been happy so far.  I had to reboot the old router 
almost every time I tried to use the wireless and haven't yet had to reboot 
the new one.  It reaches from the middle of our rancher to both ends with 
good speed.  What I really like is that it's designed with slots on the back 
so I can mount it to the wall to help with the range.

    I am an EE but I didn't use any of what I learned in school to set this 
up.  Of course I graduated with my BS in '83 so any discussion about a 
router in those days would have been in controlling the speed of the 
woodworking kind's motor ;-)

    NFI, etc.

Mark W.
1965 Falcon "Georgie" - 4door, 6 cylinder, 3 on the tree
1956 Daimler Regency Mk II '104' - "The Big D" - long term resto
various other transportation pods
-----Original Message----- 
From: Dave C
Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 2:04 PM
To: Shop Talk List
Subject: [Shop-talk] Routers, again

The computer kind.

OK, when we got DSL some time ago (probably seven or eight years ago) we
got whatever Westell wifi router that Verizon provided with the
service.  It still works ok but it's slow and the range is pretty
pathetic.   I think it's time for a replacement.   If you go to Amazon
or Newegg there are a ton of routers and the reviews are all over the
place.

Thanks

[email-masked]

---

From: Dave C <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 12:02:44 -0700

Thanks for all the input.  Now I just need to decide which one to get, 
but at least the choices are narrowed down.

Follow up question:

Can I leave my old wireless network up and live while I'm installing the 
new one, then transition the devices over one at a time?  The old one is 
named "home" so I could name the new one "new home" and then reconnect 
everything, get the MAC filtering, passwords, etc all up one at a time 
and if there were any glitches at least the old one would be running as 
a backup.

In addition to the desktop (hard wired to the router) I'm running two 
netbooks in the house, plus two regular Kindles, a Kindle Fire and a 
Nook HD+.

Out in the shop I have an old range booster, another netbook, and 
another wifi device that makes my solar panel interface think it's 
plugged into a hardwired modem.  I have no idea how I ended up with all 
that hardware, but that seems to be the way it goes.

On 7/4/2013 11:04 AM, Dave C wrote:
> The computer kind.
>
> OK, when we got DSL some time ago (probably seven or eight years ago) 
> we got whatever Westell wifi router that Verizon provided with the 
> So would anyone like to suggest a basic modern wifi and hardwired 
> router with decent range and throughput, and that won't take an EE to 
> set up?
>
> Thanks
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 14:39:10 -0500

Dave,

The best way to add the new router while maintaining the old one is to 
plug the new one directly into an unused port on your DSL router 
directly, if there is a spare port. If not, just plug it into the 
wireless router and then reboot everything and make sure that everything 
is still working.

I am late replying to your initial post and wanted to mention that in a 
lot of rural areas there are wifi providers that use ground-based radio 
links to get service to customers. I am using that type of service here 
because we can't get DSL or cable, we are in a sparsely populated area, 
about 5 miles out of the nearest town. Our only options are satellite - 
which I don't recommend, dialup or the service we have. You might search 
for "wifi service" and your zip code.  When I did that with my zip I 
came up with my provider and another one that just came into the area.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Dave C

> Can I leave my old wireless network up and live while I'm installing 
> the new one, then transition the devices over one at a time?  The old 
> one is named "home" so I could name the new one "new home" and then 
> reconnect everything, get the MAC filtering, passwords, etc all up one 
> at a time and if there were any glitches at least the old one would be 
> running as a backup.
>
> plugged into a hardwired modem.  I have no idea how I ended up with 
> all that hardware, but that seems to be the way it goes.
>
>
>> pathetic.   I think it's time for a replacement.   If you go to 
>> Amazon or Newegg there are a ton of routers and the reviews are all 
>> over the place.
>>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>
>

-- 
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice & Text	5026 FM 2001
[email-masked]	Lockhart, TX 78644-4443
www.hornesystemstx.com
-- We support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]