Subject: [Shop-talk] Better get Maaco?

From: James Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 13:56:07 -0500

I have a 1996 Honda Accord that my mother bought new and gave to my daughters
when they started driving.  The car took them through high school and college
and my wife and I now keep it around for when they are home or one of our cars
is being serviced.  It has 150,000 miles on it, but is sound mechanically and
doesn't cost us much to keep.  However, it looks like crap.  It has its share
of dings, but no rust or major damage.  It was caught in a tornado and hail
storm at one point, but most - but not all - of the damage was repaired when I
was able to loan the car to a local painless dent removal company to use for
training new technicians.  The worst problem is that it suffers from the
de-lamination that is typical of cars of this era, especially black ones.  My
wife would like to spend some money freshening it up and took it to Maaco for
an estimate.  They quoted her about $500 for a machine sanding and new paint
job.  I do not want to invest my own time in this car, but $600 isn't bad to
give it a new lease on life, although that does not include filling in or
popping out any of the remaining hail damage.  I have heard mixed reviews of
Maaco in the past, but am not expecting a concours paint job.

Does anyone here have any first hand experience with them?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 03:00:31 +0000 (UTC)

When they painted my caravan, they did remove the roof rack before the painted it.  However, they only put back half of the mounting bolts.  This caused several openings that leaked, ruining the headliner.

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Stone" <[email-masked]>
To: "Shop Talk" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2013 11:56:07 AM
Subject: [Shop-talk] Better get Maaco?

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 04:35:13 +0000 (UTC)

Leave the hail-holes and paint it white.

Phil Ethier West Side Saint Paul Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4, Berry Red
[email-masked]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier
http://www.flickr.com/groups/triumphtransamerica
http://www.mnautox.com
http://www.mntriumphs.org

----- Original Message -----
> Sent: Friday, July 26, 2013 1:56:07 PM
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 14:53:13 GMT

Just a couple of years ago my 97 Dodge 3500 Triumph support truck was looking
pretty tired.The graphics on the sides were crazed & peeling, the paint had
failed on the roof, etc.Maaco quoted me $800 and several other budget shops
were in the same ballpark. I went with a local Econo Paint and they did a
great job in white enamel for $350.Thinking back, that was really surprising
considering how large that vehicle is. So bottom line, paint and labor can be
expensive.  Environmental regulations can add cost & complexity.But if the
shop gets the car clean & smooth a decent paint job doesn't have to cost a
grand. (or more).I also think that an owner that removes his own trim, lights,
etc even if only a few items serves notice to the shop that he/she is
interested in a good job and that may warrant that little bit of extra
attention.  Of course the wall targeted $20 can work wonders too! Matt

---------- Original Message ----------
From: James Stone <[email-masked]>
To: Paul Parkanzky <[email-masked]>
Cc: Shop Talk <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Better get Maaco?
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 08:07:43 -0500

Thanks guys.  About what I expected, but good to have the confirmation.  And,
thanks Paul for the link to the Plasti-dip site.  I doubt that is the right
thing for our Accord, but it was a very interesting site.  I had no idea it
was being used that way!

On Jul 26, 2013, at 8:53 PM, Paul Parkanzky <[email-masked]> wrote:

> We had Maaco paint a racecar of ours a number of years back.  We did all
the
prep work and they shot paint.  And boy did they shoot paint!  They painted
anything that wasn't masked, including the tops of the tires, any bit of
glass
that didn't get covered, etc.
>
> They also didn't do a very good job on the paint.  It was fine for a
racecar, but I wouldn't want their paint on a street car.  If I needed a car
finished on the cheap, I'd probably try something less conventional like
plasti-dip (https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php).
>
> -Paul
>
>
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 2:56 PM, James Stone <[email-masked]> wrote:
> storm at one point, but most - but not all - of the damage was repaired
when
I
> Does anyone here have any first hand experience with them?
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]