Subject: [Shop-talk] Cell Phone Signal Boosters

From: Ronnie Day <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 09:46:32 -0500

We're (FINALLY) closing in on the move to our new place located near BFE
about 80 miles NE of Austin. Being near BFE, cell coverage in the area is
spotty at best, almost non-existent at our place. Data is (sort of and
sometimes) there, but it is better than voice call. I do have one 50 foot
tiltover, crankup tower that I'll be put up fairly soon, primarily for an
OTA TV antenna and some ham radio antennas.
Wilson Electronics has a series of signal boosters and different antennas
that are basically low power repeaters. Wilson made their name in amateur
radio many years ago and I expect their bits to work well. I did want to
see if anyone in the group has used the Wilson gear or possibly some other
company's so I could get some real world feedback.
I might try the Verizon Network Extender, but I had one of those a couple
of years ago where we're currently living and it didn't seem to make much
difference in signal level in the house at that time. While the Wilson
System uses antennas (omni or directional) to pick the RF signal, the
Verizon box plugs into the Internet and basically provides a cell node in
your house. Looks like we'll be using Exede satt based broadband so I'm not
sure if the Verizon box would work at all.
I can't believe that we're the only folks in this large widely scattered
group that have to deal with this sort of situation.
Thanks,
Ron
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive