Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Better get Maaco?

From: "Bob Kegel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 14:10:41 -0700 s=q20121106; t=1374873047; bh=myQqFVNug1gAQee69fXophdlRFBUur6/SkN6fyDDtMA=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Reply-To:From:To:Subject:Date: MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=L5xTAma1z3uwOS/UeY8y0NeSro3Asn/R+v+3HgrQ1C3T6MEAwhO5hG2j+ipkjnmHU oReAS/AvljbjJ1lJKW0jVozazQiyjQ9QVPiR76c5EWlWb9SuQZbMrOjQZwzaFIEW53 +vGBGgZMsxIY4iqrdrw7yA6K8mKd96pv/CiZCSRt6yw7wPBKIBP3WSj4SPT4HRXRgy hIJ2V4par/fi1/X4/a4n/iN+uLRIhoPHYuBylBVDFmvIt7i77/Anq4cwqcjZGX8by1 vOKk98R13K4rOtJ1gGD1XlgAVG6ZZe2cEACJHCx0MKg31+y08evYYOTmILN8Rn6+lG qlFTwCnV7+9NA==

No first-hand experience.
When this topic came up on another forum, someone suggested meeting the the 
guy who'd do the work beforehand. The advice was to give him a $20 and tell 
him there'd be another one if you liked the results.

Bob K 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "ElanS4" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 17:46:00 -0400

Bob Kegel wrote"
>
> Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Better get Maaco?

It's been about 30 years since I even knew anyone that went to Maaco, but...

They do a good paint job.
They do not do good body work (slap on 3 inches of Bondo and call it good.
They do not remove the trip, they just paint over it.
They barely cover the rubber around the windows - all of them had paint on
the window rubber.
Etc.

But...

If you did the body prep, removed the trim, lights, grill, door handles,
etc. you got a decent paint job.  They were good at spraying paint that
lasted, just didn't have the time to do any of the prep work.

Me?  The couple of times I needed a good paint job, I took it to friend's
shops, or a well-respected shop in town. (or even the next state away).

Tim Mullen

[email-masked]

---

From: Paul Parkanzky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 21:53:50 -0400

We had Maaco paint a racecar of ours a number of years back.  We did all
the prep work and they shot paint.  And boy did they shoot paint!  They
painted anything that wasn't masked, including the tops of the tires, any
bit of glass that didn't get covered, etc.

They also didn't do a very good job on the paint.  It was fine for a
racecar, but I wouldn't want their paint on a street car.  If I needed a
car finished on the cheap, I'd probably try something less conventional
like plasti-dip (https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php).

-Paul

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 2:56 PM, James Stone <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have a 1996 Honda Accord that my mother bought new and gave to my
> daughters
> when they started driving.  The car took them through high school and
> college
> and my wife and I now keep it around for when they are home or one of our
> cars
> is being serviced.  It has 150,000 miles on it, but is sound mechanically
> and
> doesn't cost us much to keep.  However, it looks like crap.  It has its
> share
> of dings, but no rust or major damage.  It was caught in a tornado and hail
> storm at one point, but most - but not all - of the damage was repaired
> when I
> was able to loan the car to a local painless dent removal company to use
> for
> training new technicians.  The worst problem is that it suffers from the
> de-lamination that is typical of cars of this era, especially black ones.
>  My
> wife would like to spend some money freshening it up and took it to Maaco
> for
> an estimate.  They quoted her about $500 for a machine sanding and new
> paint
> job.  I do not want to invest my own time in this car, but $600 isn't bad
> to
> give it a new lease on life, although that does not include filling in or
> popping out any of the remaining hail damage.  I have heard mixed reviews
> of
> Maaco in the past, but am not expecting a concours paint job.
>
> Does anyone here have any first hand experience with them?
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: James Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 08:07:43 -0500

Thanks guys.  About what I expected, but good to have the confirmation.  And,
thanks Paul for the link to the Plasti-dip site.  I doubt that is the right
thing for our Accord, but it was a very interesting site.  I had no idea it
was being used that way!

On Jul 26, 2013, at 8:53 PM, Paul Parkanzky <[email-masked]> wrote:

> We had Maaco paint a racecar of ours a number of years back.  We did all the
prep work and they shot paint.  And boy did they shoot paint!  They painted
anything that wasn't masked, including the tops of the tires, any bit of glass
that didn't get covered, etc.
> They also didn't do a very good job on the paint.  It was fine for a
racecar, but I wouldn't want their paint on a street car.  If I needed a car
finished on the cheap, I'd probably try something less conventional like
plasti-dip (https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php).
daughters
college
cars
and
share
> storm at one point, but most - but not all - of the damage was repaired when
I
for
My
for
paint
to
of

[email-masked]

---

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 17:00:57 -0400

> prep work and they shot paint.  And boy did they shoot paint!  They painted

I have heard for years "Maaco shoots great paint, they just don't prep 
for shit."

Only example I've seen: a bro-in-law in Cincy,Oh had a white 88-ish RX7 
daily driver he wanted sprayed ultra cheaply. He stripped ALL the trim 
off it, bondo'ed, sanded, masked, rattle can primered, etc. Took it to them.

Mac: "It's a $150 job. You didn't have to do all that prep yourself."
JB: "Yeah, well I did. Is $150 good for the best factory white you've got?"

It was probably a "5 foot" or "10 foot" paint job but there were NO 
masking lines or overspray, since he'd yanked everything. Not show car 
or new car quality, but not obviously sprayed and better than a lot of 
weathered cars on the road. Exactly what he was expecting. You can 
probably stop by the shop any afternoon and look at the cars to be 
picked up. After it's dried a few days, the DIY car wash will take 70% 
off the trim and tires.

-Wayne

[email-masked]