Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] finding buried gate wiring

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 14:28:18 -0400

On 7/26/2013 1:53 PM, Eric Murray wrote:

> I have a cheap metal detector.  Would it be able to pick up the wiring?
> Any other ideas for finding the missing box?  Divining rods?

Hi Eric..Has the contractor tried a toner? I've used one to trace wires 
in the house. The resolution isn't great (it will locate the stud bay) 
and there is considerable bleed-over to other cables that touch the one 
being tested, and the signal drops off quite exponentially with 
distance, but it might be a cheap first shot.

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Tracer-Tester-Generator-Signal/dp/B001MB759U

jim
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 19:46:03 -0700

Eric,

Do you have a Dig Safe function in your state?  Search "dig safe" with 
your state.

See http://www.call811.com/ and select "State Specific Information" in 
the bottom center.

Out in Southern California, it is a free service for utility lines. They 
have the equipment to trace lines.  Most recently, we had a natural gas 
line leaking underground in the street.  It is a plastic line with a 
single copper trace wire.  They accurately marked it about 3' under an 
asphalt street.  They came out the same day for the gas line.  When I 
used them for a gutter drain pipe, they came the next day.

I don't know if it will apply in your case, but it doesn't take much 
time to call.  You will need to say you are digging when you talk to 
them - perhaps planting a new tree near where you thing the box should be.

I'm surprised the electrician doesn't have the equipment to trace it.  
I've seen contractors do it multiple times.

If you are in an area with building codes, you may also want to check if 
the signal wires can be in the same conduit as the AC wires (you didn't 
specify).   Perhaps someone else on the list can comment here.  I've 
always run them separate.

Brian

On 7/26/2013 10:53 AM, Eric Murray wrote:
> I have an electric gate on my driveway about 700' from the house, 
> installed before I bought the house.  There is a set of twisted pair 
> wiring from the phone box to the gate to remotely operate it. along 
> with 120v power and a couple signal wires.  I need to locate all the 
> junction boxes along the path, and I can't find one. Or rather the 
> contractor who is going to replace the wiring can't find it.
>
> The wires are in plastic conduit buried about 1' down.  The junction 
> boxes are "Christy" concrete boxes.
>
> I have a cheap metal detector.  Would it be able to pick up the 
> wiring?  Any other ideas for finding the missing box?  Divining rods?
>
> I have not tried yet because I just thought about using the detector 
> last night and I injured my leg last week and don't want to walk more 
> than I have to.
>
> Eric
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]