Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] finding buried gate wiring

From: Eric Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 11:32:01 -0700

On 07/26/2013 10:46 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
>
> You need a tone generator and receiver.  Here is a middle of the road 
> one...
>
> _http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Tone-cube-and-Probe-plus-Kit-VDV500-808/203015886#.UfK5cdK-pVM_

I have one, I didn't think it'd work on buried wiring.

The diving rods were a joke (although if they actually worked I'd use them).

I don't think my metal detector has a discriminator but I could be 
wrong, it's been a while.

I did find an outfit that rents out wiring detectors which are designed 
to work on buried wiring-
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Armada-Technologies-Wire-Valve-Locator-p/pro-700-rental.htm

Eric
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 16:16:39 -0500

>> You need a tone generator and receiver.  Here is a middle of the road
_http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Tone-cube-and-Probe-plus-Kit-VDV500-8
08/203015886#.UfK5cdK-pVM_
> I have one, I didn't think it'd work on buried wiring.

Toners work by putting a radio signal on the wire. If they're only a foot down
try it.

> /Armada-Technologies-Wire-Valve- annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 17:40:34 -0500

You are correct, it doesn't work. I tried this some years ago and even 
after I found the conduit, the receiver didn't pick up the signal on the 
wire.

The toner I used was for finding networking wire in walls, it worked 
fine for that. There m,ay be some higher power units out there for 
buried wire, but I don't work in that field.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Eric Murray

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>
>

-- 
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice & Text	5026 FM 2001
[email-masked]	Lockhart, TX 78644-4443
www.hornesystemstx.com
-- We support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Dave C <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 20:38:48 -0700

I rented the whole setup at a rental yard about 10 years ago when I had 
to do essentially the same job; I have a 900 foot driveway and the phone 
and power are in the same trench, and I wanted to locate the far end of 
it.  I put the tone generator on the phone line shield and didn't have 
any trouble following the tone down the driveway.  It was a setup 
designed for underground wires, not walls or other locations.
On 7/26/2013 11:32 AM, Eric Murray wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]