Subject: [Shop-talk] Routers, again

From: Dave C <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 11:04:38 -0700

The computer kind.

OK, when we got DSL some time ago (probably seven or eight years ago) we 
got whatever Westell wifi router that Verizon provided with the 
service.  It still works ok but it's slow and the range is pretty 
pathetic.   I think it's time for a replacement.   If you go to Amazon 
or Newegg there are a ton of routers and the reviews are all over the 
place.

So would anyone like to suggest a basic modern wifi and hardwired router 
with decent range and throughput, and that won't take an EE to set up?

Thanks
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 03:28:57 -0700

> So would anyone like to suggest a basic modern wifi and 
> hardwired router with decent range and throughput, and that 
> won't take an EE to set up?

I've been happy with my Netgear WGR614L.  It covers the whole house with
ease, including the yard (tho I do have it in a pretty central location both
horizontal and vertical).  Worked right out of the box (but I do suggest
setting the passwords for both WiFi and administrative access).  ISTR I paid
about $50 @ the local Best Buy, but Amazon has it for under $30.

Only trouble I've had is that it used to require rebooting every month or
two.  But putting one edge up on something else (for improved air
circulation) seems to have solved that.

-- Randall 

[email-masked]