Subject: [Shop-talk] Sheet metal question

From: Robert Bender <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 08:53:24 -0700 (PDT)

I have a ridiculously old bead blast cabinet that works fantastically well. 
The gloves clamp to a 5-1/2 inch diameter flange, and are now wearing out. 
None of the blast supply places seem to have this size of glove.  They will
all sell gloves that fit a 7-1/4 inch flange.  Some even sell the retrofit
flange.  So, I am thinking about how to cut two clean, accurate circles, 7-1/2
inches in diameter in a box made of 14 gage sheet metal.  I don't have access
to a plasma cutter here at home, my nibbler isn't capable of handling the
thickness, it can't be disassembled to fit into the mill and my Greenlee
knockouts don't go anywhere near that big.  I suppose I could buy a 7-1/2 inch
hole saw, but Google shows $112 and up for something that will likely get used
once. I'll probably end up borrowing Dad's tanks and cutting torch, but that's
a hassle to transport and will require a fair amount of clean up of the cut
edge.  Any neat out-of-the-box ideas
 while I talk one of my buddies into buying a plasma cutter that I can
borrow?
Bob
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 15:46:32 -0400

I have a Bosch saber saw, and their blades are nice.  They make fine
toothed metal blades that work fine for fairly thick sheet metal.  But you
will probably wear them out quick: they have only about an inch worth of
teeth on them...

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Elton E. (Tony) Clark <
> [email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Saber saws can do that chore.  A variable speed unit will allow one to
>> select an optimal speed to suit the blade and metal.  Use good quality
>> metal cutting blades but don't be afraid to try some of the coarser blades
>> for wood;  I once broke my last metal cutting blade and finished a job
>> with
>> a wood-type blade that cut much better but vibrated and danced around
>> a
>> lot . .  Good Luck.
>> Tony

[email-masked]

---

From: Robert Bender <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 16:48:51 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Honestly the jig saw with metal cutting blade
never occurred to me (mental block?), I kept thinking of either using a burr
on the die grinder or a cutting torch.  But that's why I read the suggestions
on this list.
Thanks everyone,
Bob

--- On Mon, 6/3/13, Eric J Russell <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Eric J Russell <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Sheet metal question
To: "Robert Bender" <[email-masked]>, "Shop Talk List"
<[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, June 3, 2013, 11:08 AM

A metal cutting blade in a jig saw plus a steady hand should do the job.
Cutting oil will make the blade last longer but you'll still probably want at
least two blades (so get four...). I used my jig saw with a metal cutting
blade to cut many parts out of 14ga steel to repair my MGA chassis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWpHzf1I0BI

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

----- Original Message -----
> Any neat out-of-the-box ideas while I talk one of my buddies into buying a
plasma cutter that I can

[email-masked]