Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Craftsman Garage door opener Failure

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 02:06:26 -0400

On 6/6/2013 12:13 AM, Jack Brooks wrote:
> Craftsman is made by Chamberlain.  They also make Lift-master, so this same
> issue could affect any of these brands or another brand.  It was just so

I have a Lift-Master with a 1999 build code in my place. It failed maybe 
6 years ago, and after not being able to see anything defective on the 
printed circuit, I grabbed the soldering gear and "re-flowed" or fully 
re-soldered the whole board. Voila! It worked. Chamberlain broke a real 
basic engineering rule: Do NOT use solder to mechanically secure 
components to PCBs. I also glued all the offending big pieces down with 
- forget exactly - sillycone or hot glue or similar. Better engineering 
would have done that in the first place, or potted it, or put a ty-wrap 
in, or some bracket.

-w
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: John Innis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 07:29:00 -0500

Actually I'm going to disagree with you on that basic engineering rule.
Mechanical security is exactly what solder is for.  It is a lousy
conductor.  It is true that large and heavy components should have
additional mechanical support, especially when used in an application
 that is subject to vibration or shock.  But for small through-hole and
surface mount components, solder is more than adequate.

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 1:06 AM, Wayne <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have a Lift-Master with a 1999 build code in my place. It failed maybe 6
> years ago, and after not being able to see anything defective on the
> basic engineering rule: Do NOT use solder to mechanically secure components
> to PCBs. I also glued all the offending big pieces down with - forget
> exactly - sillycone or hot glue or similar. Better engineering would have
> done that in the first place, or potted it, or put a ty-wrap in, or some
> bracket.
>
> -w
>
> ______________________________**_________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/shop-talk/jdinnis@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]>
>
>

-- 
=================================
= Never offend people with style when you   =
= can offend with substance --- Sam Brown  =
=================================
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]