Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] rigid insulation board

From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 09:33:24 -0500

I think which way the foil is facing depends on what you are trying to do
... keep heat in or keep heat out. Based on the information here ...

http://www.rimainternational.org/index.php/myths/

... for the foil will need an air gap to be effective. The foil is glued to
foam so the air gap requirement will not be met on that side of the
material.

If you install the material with the foil facing inside it will perform best
reflecting energy ... light and heat ... back into the room, plus the effect
of the foam insulation.
Keeping heat out in the summer will only be affected by effect of the
foam insulation based on the lack of the air gap on that side of the foil.

If you install the material with the foam facing the roof ... and we assume
it is installed with the required air gap between the material and the roof
sheeting otherwise it will not be effective ... heat will be reflected back
to
the roof sheeting along with the effect of the foam insulation, but heat from
room will only be affected by the the foam insulation.

At least that is the way I understand the information.

>David you might be on to something, that sure would lessen the amount of
>prep work I would have to do.

>>Why not just put the reflective side facing down, and leave it be? That's
>>what my father-in-law and I did ( two garages ).  Looks fine for a garage
>>ceiling, and even helps with lighting a little.  Throw some aluminum tape
>>on the seams and call it done.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive