Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Spindle Sander question:

From: "Doug Armstrong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 15:15:37 -0400

Why not use a drill press and make up a work surface?

Doug Armstrong

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Steve Hammatt, Mount
Vernon WA USA
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 3:02 PM
To: Shop Talk
Subject: [Shop-talk] Spindle Sander question:

Ibve never owned a spindle sander but I have a need for
a similar tool, but without the oscillating feature.  Ibm trying
to mount a leather burnishing tool (3/8b steel shaft) vertically
with a flat work surface.  Does anyone know if there are bench-top
oscillating spindle sanders out there where the oscillating feature
can be removed or defeated?
Thanks.

Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3345 / Virus Database: 3204/6447 - Release Date: 06/28/13

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3345 / Virus Database: 3199/6431 - Release Date: 06/22/13
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 12:19:09 -0700

Good question, but I have two answers
1.  Drill press is dedicated to drilling
2.  Drill presses are not designed for side loading.
Thanks.

Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA

From: Doug Armstrong
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 12:15 PM
To: 'Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA' ; 'Shop Talk List'
Subject: RE: [Shop-talk] Spindle Sander question:

Doug Armstrong

-----Original Message-----

Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA

[email-masked]

-----

-----

-----

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/png which had a name of wlEmoticon-smile[1].png]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Dave C <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 13:02:06 -0700

My dad made a non-oscillating spindle sander using an old appliance 
motor on end with a work table attached to it.  He put the sanding drums 
normally used on drill presses on it and it worked fine.  He used it for 
both wood and stained glass.

As for side loading a drill press jacobs chuck, yes, if you were trying 
to use if for a milling or mortising machine it would be less than 
ideal, but I wouldn't think burnishing leather would stress the 
components that much.  And, as mentioned above, thousands (if not more) 
drum sanding attachments have been sold for drill press use without any 
problems.

Another option would be to get a cheap harbor freight drill press, or a 
used one on Craigslist.

On 6/28/2013 12:02 PM, Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 16:10:59 -0700

Steve - I understand the concern about the chuck in a drill press as 
I've also had one come off.  How about a wood stand and band clamping an 
electric drill to it.  Harbor Freight has a couple variable speed ones 
under $20, so I wouldn't really care about the side loading.  Just make 
sure the trigger lock is variable if not running at top speed is a concern.

Brian

On 6/28/2013 12:02 PM, Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 17:04:11 -0700

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions.  However, this is not an
attempt to do something on the cheap nor is it a one-time use.  I
need something that is strong and sturdy and good for long term use.
The ideal item could be a non-oscillating spindle sander.  The home
use model would do fine and have the correct rotational speeds for
sanding/burnishing.  Just need to get rid of the oscillating feature...
...which was the original question.  Another alternative is going with
a bench-top spindle shaper.  I would have to use one that I can change
the pulley sizes to reduce the speed range down to around 1100 rpm.
So, to get back to my original question:  Does anyone know if there is
an oscillating spindle sander that can be made into a non-oscillating
model?

Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA

[email-masked]

---

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 19:26:21 -0500

Rigid EB4424 says it has both oscillating and "rotary motion", which may 
mean a non-oscillating configuration

Delta SA350k doesn't say it is an oscillating sander, but some of the 
poor reviews indicate that the oscillation feature stops when a nylon 
gear strips!!

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA

> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>
>

-- 
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice & Text	5026 FM 2001
[email-masked]	Lockhart, TX 78644-4443
www.hornesystemstx.com
-- We support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Todd Walke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 20:30:53 -0700

I found this homemade spindle sander:
<http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/26412/shopmade-spindle-sander>

         If you don't want it to oscillate, then what you need is really 
nothing more than a motor mounted in a box.

         Rather than figuring out how to mount & wire up a motor - how 
about taking a small bench grinder, turning it 90deg and mounting it in a 
box similar to the above link?

         The trick in either case is matching up the motor shaft to 
whatever arbor/chuck works with the burnishing tools you use.  You may have 
to weld up an adapter to make it work.

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 276,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       412,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a new 
home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]