Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Removed wainscoting, now outlet box sticks out

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 20:08:29 -0700

Jim - A Wiremold starter box should work.  See the picture at
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wiremold-Legrand-Non-Metallic-Extra-Deep-White-Outlet-Box-NMW35/100657459

(This is just a sample with a pretty picture showing the back plate.  
I'd get the thinnest one that fits.)  These boxes are designed to be a 
starting point for a surface mount channel.

Since your box is sticking out, I would just get some long screws for 
the outlet and skip the back plate.  You may need to drill out the 
outlet screw holes so the long screws pull the extension against the wall.

The other option is to replace the outlet box.  If it is plastic and 
attached to the studs, just break it apart and put in an old work box like
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-Gang-Non-Metallic-Old-Work-Box-B114RB/100404027

If it is metal, you can try and either break it apart or just undo the 
wires and push the box in the wall then go with the old work box.

You could also make a spacer with a 1x4 and beveled or cove edges. 
Anything exposed to the inside of the box needs to be non-combustible, 
so use a box extender like
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Electrical-Box-Extender-BE1-2/202708650

Before you do anything, make a diagram of the wires and make sure 
everything is off.

Brian

On 6/17/2013 7:03 PM, Jim Franklin wrote:
> My Google-fu is weak tonight. I removed some wainscoting and now the outlet
> boxes stick out about 1/2". I'm looking for some spacers to add around the box
> so the wall plate will sit flush and it will look ok. Have you heard of such a
> thing? One site recommended the Wire-mould spacers but they didn't look big
> enough in LxW dimensions.
>
> thanks,
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 08:05:13 -0500

I've done a couple more complex things to cure this problem

Use a moto-tool to trim off the box.
You should also be able to get a hack saw blade in between the stud and 
the box and cut off the nails that hold the box in. Slide the box back 
and run screws or nails through the side of the box to hold the correct 
location.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Jim Franklin

> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>
>

-- 
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice & Text	5026 FM 2001
[email-masked]	Lockhart, TX 78644-4443
www.hornesystemstx.com
-- We support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 21:19:52 -0400

On Jun 17, 2013, at 10:03 PM, Jim Franklin wrote:

> I removed some wainscoting and now the outlet
> boxes stick out about 1/2".

As much as I initially didn't want to mess with removing the boxes, it only
took me a very unexpected 5 minutes to cut the nails from the old one and
insert new ones. SO much easier than anything else in this house...

Thanks!

[email-masked]