Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Sheet metal question

From: Drew Rogge <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 09:04:02 -0700

I assume the box is steel? You might be able to make a plywood template with
a 7-1/2 dia hole in it and use a router with a flushtriming bit to auger out
the hole. I'm sure it would ruin the bit and be quite noisy but if it's a one
time deal?

Drew

On 06/03/2013 08:53 AM, Robert Bender wrote:
> I have a ridiculously old bead blast cabinet that works fantastically well.
> The gloves clamp to a 5-1/2 inch diameter flange, and are now wearing out.
> None of the blast supply places seem to have this size of glove.  They will
> all sell gloves that fit a 7-1/4 inch flange.  Some even sell the retrofit
> flange.  So, I am thinking about how to cut two clean, accurate circles, 7-1/2
> inches in diameter in a box made of 14 gage sheet metal.  I don't have access
> to a plasma cutter here at home, my nibbler isn't capable of handling the
> thickness, it can't be disassembled to fit into the mill and my Greenlee
> knockouts don't go anywhere near that big.  I suppose I could buy a 7-1/2 inch
> hole saw, but Google shows $112 and up for something that will likely get used
> once. I'll probably end up borrowing Dad's tanks and cutting torch, but that's
> a hassle to transport and will require a fair amount of clean up of the cut
> edge.  Any neat out-of-the-box ideas
>   while I talk one of my buddies into buying a plasma cutter that I can
> borrow?
> Bob
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Eric J Russell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 12:08:45 -0400 a=vR9DVJuTdoEA:10 a=P2oOn6vrs4wA:10 a=8nJEP1OIZ-IA:10 a=S2wpYzp2RsyRkoRNwqcm1Q==:17 a=GP8FKuGUAAAA:20 a=Wy_yCBLpRsIuuh9SQukA:9 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10 a=S2wpYzp2RsyRkoRNwqcm1Q==:117 reip=0.000, cl=1, cld=1, fgs=0

A metal cutting blade in a jig saw plus a steady hand should do the job. 
Cutting oil will make the blade last longer but you'll still probably want 
at least two blades (so get four...). I used my jig saw with a metal cutting 
blade to cut many parts out of 14ga steel to repair my MGA chassis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWpHzf1I0BI

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

----- Original Message ----- 

> Any neat out-of-the-box ideas while I talk one of my buddies into buying a 
> plasma cutter that I can
> borrow?

[email-masked]

---

From: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 11:11:03 -0500

Saber saws can do that chore.  A variable speed unit will allow one to
select an optimal speed to suit the blade and metal.  Use good quality
metal cutting blades but don't be afraid to try some of the coarser blades
for wood;  I once broke my last metal cutting blade and finished a job with
a wood-type blade that cut much better but vibrated and danced around     a
lot . .  Good Luck.
Tony

On 3 June 2013 10:53, Robert Bender <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Todd Walke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 18:09:57 -0700

My first thought was a cutoff wheel in a die grinder, assuming you 
have an air compressor.
         Mark the cut line with a Sharpie.  Go slow and steady using both 
hands to hold the die grinder and you can cut a fairly clean circle of that 
size.
         Cut towards the inside of the line then use a sanding drum or 
carbide burr to finish the shape and clean up the edge.

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 276,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       408,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a new 
home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]