Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] rigid insulation board

From: David Hillman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 14:03:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 2 Jun 2013, Arvid Jedlicka wrote:
> I think which way the foil is facing depends on what you are trying to do
> ... keep heat in or keep heat out. Based on the information here ...
>
> http://www.rimainternational.org/index.php/myths/

    In theory, that's probably true.  In my non-scientific experience with 
two garages, they are both substantially cooler in summer and warmer in 
winter than they were with uninsulated ceilings.  Neither have any A/C, 
and the one with heat noticed a drop in heating costs.

    For a about a year after I did mine, I kicked myself everyday for not 
doing it the week I bought the house.  YMMV.

--
  David Hillman
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Frank Vantacich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 15:27:29 -0700 (PDT)

Good information from everyone. Thank you!! The structure I will be using the 
rigid insulation in is a raised center aisle barn which is all built of wood , 
the raised center part is 20 feet from the ground and has a 4 in 12 pitch roof 
over it and is 18' x 30'. I was going to screw the rigid insul. boards to the 
rafters then there would be a gap of about 4ft at the ridge down to 6 inches 
between the roof and the rigid insul boards.

I don't have any lights in this area but will have two 5' ceiling fans. There 
are three 2'x4' windows  on either side that are about 2 ft from the ceiling so 
the rigid insul boards will hopefully reflect some light in to the floor space. 
right now I'm sure I loose a lot of heat from my wood stove into this space so 
it will serve two functions one to keep the  heat in in the winter and two keep 
the heat out in the summer that comes from the asphalt shingled roof. 

I was originally planning to  insulate with rolled insulation and then screw 16' 
lengths of corrugated metal on to the rafters, this is what i did on the two 
lower ceilings which go from 9' up the 14' but for some reason i can't get 
motivated to do the same thing in the center part which is 20' up in the air. 

And know you know the rest of the story.

Frank V.
Loomis, Ca
[email-masked]

________________________________
From: David Hillman <[email-masked]>
To: Arvid Jedlicka <[email-masked]>
Cc: Shop Talk List <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sun, June 2, 2013 11:08:57 AM
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] rigid insulation board

> http://www.rimainternational.org/index.php/myths/

   In theory, that's probably true.   In my non-scientific experience with two 
garages, they are both substantially cooler in summer and warmer in winter than 
they were with uninsulated ceilings.  Neither have any A/C, and the one with 
heat noticed a drop in heating costs.

   For a about a year after I did mine, I kicked myself everyday for not doing 
it the week I bought the house.  YMMV.

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 09:02:50 -0500

The information was specifically related to maximizing the effectiveness
of the radiant barrier, not the pro's and con's of insulation in general.

My non-scientific experience agrees with yours. The garage is
considerably cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter after I
installed foam installation ... but it was simply pink foam board without
any reflective barrier.

Our observations suggest that significant benefits can be had by putting
up any insulation, and the information provided in the link provides the
manufacturers recommendations related to the radiant barrier component
if that is part of the material being installed. 

-----Original Message----- 
From: David Hillman 
Sent: Sunday, June 02, 2013 1:03 PM 
To: Arvid Jedlicka 
Cc: Shop Talk List 
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] rigid insulation board 

[email-masked]