Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] throttle cable end/terminal (?)

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 16:09:07 -0500

Tim,

I agree, the cotter key doesn't look too robust! Are you sure the stack 
of washers opposite the cotter key are correctly placed? Usually a 
cotter key is against a washer so it doesn't wear through.

Can you move the location of the cable closer to the arm? I would try 
either threading the pin that is held with the cotter key and use a nut 
on each side of the arm to lock it in place with enough play to allow it 
to rotate as needed. A bit of Locktite or drilling holes in the nuts and 
pin to allow safety wire to be run through them should do the trick, or 
use collars with set screws on each side of the arm.

Another thing to try is to find a shouldered shaft where you can use the 
shoulder on the side where the cotter key is, with some jamb nuts on the 
other side of the arm, then the nuts and washers that hold the cable.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Tim

> Not sure what to call it but I would like to use a different
> end/terminal that what was included with this carb linkage kit:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/82293958@N06/8928731354/
>
> Looking for suggestions to replace the little bits you can see on the
> left that has the cable stuck in it for the picture. (I do have a new
> cable that is not frayed.) I donbt like how these little bits are
> supposed to hold the cable. Also, it is all held on the rod by the
> smallest and thinnest wire cotter pin I have ever seen. The rod on the
> right is just the bare rod that will receive the replacement part that
> holds the cable shown as a reference.
>
> Whatta think?
> Thanks
> tim
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>
>

-- 
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice & Text	5026 FM 2001
[email-masked]	Lockhart, TX 78644-4443
www.hornesystemstx.com
-- We support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Karl Vacek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 17:19:53 -0500

Is the cable passing through a hole in the threaded portion of the stud,
between the two nuts?

If so, then it looks properly assembled though the nuts need to be tightened
to clamp the cable onto the stud.  As Pat noted, there would be a washer
between the cotter pin and the arm, and as you noted, a larger cotter pin is
in order.

Should work fine then.

Alternatively, you could use a bug nut.  Here's one style that comes in
several sizes:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/cablendbnut.php?clickkey=9629

Karl

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim
Subject: [Shop-talk] throttle cable end/terminal (?)
Not sure what to call it but I would like to use a different end/terminal
that what was included with this carb linkage kit:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/82293958@N06/8928731354/
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]