Subject: [Shop-talk] GM rear axle C-clip removal

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 18:36:08 -0700

Ok, I'm stuck.  Got a big GM limited slip solid axle with the half shafts
located by those stupid C-clips.  I've got the locating bolt and the cross
pin out.  But I cannot get the shaft to move, to get clearance to remove the
clip!  The wheel bearing is shot, so it might be the bearing keeping it from
moving, but I can wiggle the bearing end up and down while pushing on it,
and nothing seems to bind.  When I beat on it with a BFH, the axle actually
rings (!) making me think it must be free all the way to the gear.  I also
tried spinning it up to about 70 mph and pushing on the axle with it still
spinning, thinking that might shake loose whatever is blocking, but it made
no difference.
 
Axle is still in the car, and I'd really like to avoid removing it if
possible.  But that bearing and shaft have got to be changed.  I already did
the other side (couple years ago), and the axle slid in (and out) easily.
 
Any thoughts??
 
Oh yeah, 95 Buick Roadmaster Estate wagon if that make any difference.
-- Randall 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 19:09:54 -0700

In the infamous words of Emily Litella, "Never mind!"

Turns out, the LSD clutches were slightly out of place (probably caused by
yours truly initially trying to remove them) and blocking the motion of the
C-clip.  A stout brass drift and BFH moved them back and it all came right
apart.

Now all I've got to do is get that $@# race out of the housing.  Last time I
wound up cutting it apart to get it out, but this one maybe isn't as bad.

Nah, I couldn't get that lucky!

-- Randall 

[email-masked]

---

From: Dave C <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 12:16:30 -0700

Sometimes you can weld a bead along the inside of the race and when it 
shrinks it'll shrink the race a little, enough to get it out.  Or you 
can weld a piece of steel across the race and use that to grab on to 
pull it out.

On 5/11/2013 7:09 PM, Randall wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 15:45:33 -0700

> Sometimes you can weld a bead along the inside of the race 
> and when it shrinks it'll shrink the race a little, enough to 
> get it out.  Or you can weld a piece of steel across the race 
> and use that to grab on to pull it out.

Thanks for the suggestions.  My problem wasn't so much grabbing the race, as
persuading it to move afterwards.  The failing bearing evidently got hot
enough to spot-weld the race to the housing.

But after slicing with the Dremel, I was able to break and collapse the
race.  Since I haven't got 220v run to the garage yet, it was definitely
faster than breaking out the welder ... Not to mention less chance of
setting things on fire <g>
(I'm kind of a klutz at welding)

Randall

[email-masked]