Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Powerline Network Adapter

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 18:17:09 -0400

On 5/6/2013 6:05 PM, Tom Shirley wrote:
> My home is 2 stories with a basement and the router is on the top floor.
> I'd like to be able to set up a small computer in the basement using a
> powerline network adapter. There are a lot of them on sale on eBay and the
> prices are from cheap to not so cheap.
> Any suggestions or recommendations?

I prefer to go wired when easy, but sounds like a perfect wi-fi 
application. You do have wi-fi in the house, no? I've used this EdiMax 
NIC from NewEgg.com with good results. $17, free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315096

-wayne
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Paul Parkanzky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 18:17:17 -0400

Any reason not to get a wireless router?  Two stories shouldn't be too
far for it to work and if it is, relocate your router to the main
floor and you can easily cover the whole house.  A decent wireless
router and a USB wireless adapter are probably no more expensive than
the powerline stuff you're looking at and you can connect any device
you want from anywhere in your house if you ever want to add more.

-Paul

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 6:05 PM, Tom Shirley <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Tom Shirley
> www.sceniccitymiatas.com

[email-masked]

---

From: Peter Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 19:48:53 -0400

I have used with good success the Netgear Ethernet over Power adapters. I
have used the XE102 and XE104 adapters, both of which are no longer in
production. Their actual throughput is about half of their raw throughput,
but they work well.

If you buy a set, test them and be prepared to return them - in case they
do not work between the outlets you choose.

-Peter

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 6:05 PM, Tom Shirley <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: John Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 17:36:57 -0700

On 5/6/2013 3:05 PM, Tom Shirley wrote:
> Any suggestions or recommendations

I'm using some TP-Link powerline Ethernet devices to connect my 
sprinkler timers and etc. to the household network, they work well and 
were very much plug-and-play.

John.

[email-masked]

---

From: nick brearley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2013 07:19:33 +0100

> do not work between the outlets you choose.
+1 on the Netgear stuff. I have used their Wireless-N Powerline AV200 
Extender Kit for 18 months and been happy with it. Bought it from Amazon 
and have not had to return it.

I don't have Peter's expertise to be able to measure its output but it 
appears quite adequate. We live in an old house with many brick walls. 
As far as I can see wifi signals travel vertically much better than 
laterally, in others words walls present more resistance than floors. 
Hence the need for the extender. It worked well in the shop, a separate 
building about 30 feet from the house, when tried as an experiment.

Nick Brearley

[email-masked]