Subject: [Shop-talk] Dishwashers in the garage

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 07:34:29 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 05/28/2013 07:34:32, Serialize complete at 05/28/2013 07:34:32

This weekend, I installed a dishwasher in my shop.  I have a few questions 
for those of you with experience with them...

First, will normal dishwasher soap hurt engine parts, bare metals, etc?
Next, is there a soap that I should use that will not hurt the dishwasher?
Finally, are there things that should NOT go in there?

Thanks.

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 13:16:22 GMT

Inch,What a smart idea.I recall seeing a mechanics show where they put an old
nasty transmission in a big parts washer and thought, "that would be nice to
have"You seem to routinely come up with innovative moves - and around here old
(not pretty but functional) dishwashers are on Craigs every week for next to
nothing. DId the sailboat/ebay play work out OK?Hopefully much easier than
chopping it up and more enviro friendly than burning!Some neighbors had a
similar situation - an original owner boat that the wife had grown up with but
had seen better days and had been a long time on the trailer.IT was a win win,
they got rid of it, got a small amount of $$, and the buyer was happy with his
bargain. The buyer seemed to know what he was doing as he showed up with new
tires and took it straight to a trailer shop for repack & brake check...

AGE RES PROPRIAS TUAS

---------- Original Message ----------
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Shop-talk] Dishwashers in the garage
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 07:34:29 -0400

Thanks.

Eric P

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 15:00:44 +0000 (UTC)

> First, will normal dishwasher soap hurt engine parts, bare metals,

When I was rehabbing ("restoring" would be an insult to actual restorers everywhere) the Europa, I put suspension parts in a leaky dishwasher I had parked over the basement floor-drain.  The parts would flash-rust as soon as I took them out since all oils were leached out of them.  If you do this, paint the parts as soon as you remove them, while they are still warm.

Phil Ethier West Side Saint Paul Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4, Berry Red
[email-masked]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier
http://www.flickr.com/groups/triumphtransamerica
http://www.mnautox.com
http://www.mntriumphs.org
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Bob Kegel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 11:46:03 -0700 s=q20121106; t=1369853167; bh=yBb7sDbyNwvHZrfKOi5HlCef92wdRNvC/LlJnCpEob4=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Reply-To:From:To:Subject:Date: MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=D8JHhIVGg0CJsChm5BN9feB4m7umdyKDhG3EiJ7sqrlKwRzqnj4h9GpEICYrd4pj4 SUFegWXkxL7SBXyDOWNVOGZo+xNc9rO4stXbp2gxklh3GmTxrP12mAc3w48hNobupQ R2QlZzRVwrq/4cSJ2f3OfTaw3Dz8yVAsamxcH98bcZJmM2AqOWcuiSfMIorO6nJ86g X4db/+2JdbV4vU5Pu6nz0C4U/qOdIdHDIqqrlchT5/VOLWVeeBuAW0xWezCzPKE6CL BhelGDDaUabZhVK/HFlODsDtqbhlHikxIEa0cjhZcmYdNNlUpdz9kIw0eNEBfILUJV rXZymHuIaUo+g==

I use a double shot of Tide liquid along with the dishwasher detergent. I 
use hot water and set the machine on "soak", giving all those chemicals a 
couple hours to work. So far, the tub has passed wifely inspection.

YMMV

-----Original Message----- 
From: Tim
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 04:31
To: Bob Kegel
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dishwashers in the garage

You wash your shop rags in the regular clothes washer? What exactly are
you using for soap? And how does the tub far when you are done (is there
a grease/oil residue left behind)?

Thanks!!
tim

[email-masked]