Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] chicken yard

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 16:52:53 -0700

On 5/6/2013 4:45 PM, Eric Murray wrote:

> I was going to use some old well pipe I have but it's really heavy. My
> wife wants to use PVC pipe but I don't think it will be sturdy enough
> unless it's large diameter.  I was thinking 1" galvanized conduit.  Do
> y'all think that'll be sturdy enough?

How about hurricane fence (aka chain-link) posts? Seems to be similar to 
1" galvie pipe plus it has an infrastructure of parts available.

jim
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 19:11:39 -0500

You'd have to have strong perimeter posts/buildings/trees but heavy
gauge galvanized wire, like guy-wire, might be worth a  thought.

On 06/05/2013, Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
*I predict future happiness for Americans if  they can prevent the
government from wasting the labors of the people  under the pretense of
taking care of them.*
*Thomas  Jefferson*
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Matt Wehland <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 20:39:47 -0500

Try looking into some chicken forums.
I've never had any, but seriously looked into chickens when I lived in 
the country.
The one thing every body agreed on is 'chicken wire' isn't.  It is 
useless against predators, too light to offer much protection.
Hardware cloth is what was recommended.
I read too many stories of people using chicken wire and then still 
loosing birds.
Also keep in mind the paw size of predators, many will reach in and pull 
the heads off of the chickens, even if they can't get in the coop 
themselves.
And don't forget some will dig under the pen.
You basically need a full cage, side/top and bottom protection.

Some chicken sites, no idea how good they are any more-
www.backyardchickens.com/
http://www.chickenforum.com/f20/
http://poultrycommunity.com/forum/forum.php

Matt

-- 
Matt Wehland
(815) 295-4533

[email-masked]