Subject: [Shop-talk] thunk going into reverse

From: Tim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 11:13:29 -0400 (EDT)

I have a 92 ford tempo that both my daughters drove while in high 
school. It has now been mostly sitting for the past two years with some 
usage last summer and random weekends druing this time frame. It has 
less than 75,000 miles on it (original old lady car from GA when we got 
it six years ago with only 52K at that time. It had the original plug 
wires stamped with 1992 on them and probably the original coolant based 
on the chunky choclate milk consistancy.)

Anyway, I moved it yesterday and was reminded of the thunk I get after 
putting it in reverse (NOT during shift lever movement) and stepping on 
the gas. If my foot is left on the brake pedal, it does not thunk until 
after I remove my foot from the brake and press on the gas.

It does not seem to do this when shift into drive.

Is this CV axle or tranny?

Thanks
tim
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Tim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 12:51:14 -0400 (EDT)

Oh, that would be nice...and considerably cheaper to fix on a car not 
worth much to begin with.

Did I mention my oldest backed into a light pole, dead center of the 
rear end? She managed to not break a light so I fixed it with a BFH and 
made her track down and pay for a replacement hood and bumper (diff 
color of course!) and then my youngest backed into an oncoming truck 
which managed to miss her all but a small little clip on the bumper? (So 
we have a three colored car!) I wonder if I could get $250 for it.....it 
does run good....who cares that the crappy ford window motors are all 
dead and you can no longer really put the windows down.....

Thanks for hopefully good news!!
tim

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Doug Braun wrote:

I agree.

Doug

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 11:54 AM, David Scheidt < [email-masked] 
<javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow([email-masked]')> > 
wrote:

  <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow([email-masked]')>
Motor mount, tranny mount is my first guess.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Battmain <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 11:34:00 -0700 (PDT)

A bit of googling dug up this...
http://www.fordforums.com/f307/loud-clunk-reverse-93-tempo-gl-80477/

Brake
pads that are missing hardware may cause clunk noises too. 

----- Original
Message -----
> From: Tim <[email-masked]>
(snip)
> Oh, that would be
nice...and considerably cheaper to fix on a car not 
> worth much to begin
with.
> color
of course!) and then my youngest backed into an oncoming truck 
> which
managed to miss her all but a small little clip on the bumper? (So 
> we have
a three colored car!) I wonder if I could get $250 for it.....it 
> does run
good....who cares that the crappy ford window motors are all 
> dead and you
can no longer really put the windows down.....
> Thanks for hopefully good
news!!

(snip)

[email-masked]

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 20:38:29 +0000

> Is this CV axle or tranny?

I'd check the torque strut first (assuming it has one).

Randall

[email-masked]