Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Car audio

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 09:50:18 -0700

> Can modern car radios go bad in a manner that the quality of 
> the sound deteriorates at high volume 

Certainly possible.  But one of the first things I would check is that the
amplifier is getting a good solid 12v even at high power output.

For me, there would also be a distinct possibility that I'm trying to listen
at a higher volume than before.  With the setup I had in my TR3A, there was
a fairly fine line between "couldn't hear" and distortion.  And I know my
hearing has fallen off even further since then.

Unfortunately, it's quite possible that your new speakers can't handle the
power, as well.

For testing, all I can suggest is swapping with known good components,
unless you have access to a oscilloscope.  I've got an older HP scope that I
picked up on eBay for $30.  Only good to 20 MHz, but that's plenty for
working on audio.

Randall
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive