Subject: [Shop-talk] Stereo cooling in the garage

From: Bob Nogueira <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 07:33:18 -0500

My 40 year old Realistic stereo in the garage finally died. I replaced it with
a TEAC  unit.   The Realistic unit had a walnut case with the cooling vents
located on the backside. The TEAC unit has the cooling vents on the top of the
case.
I'm worried that with the amount of dust generated in the garage I'll have a
heavy build up of dust inside the case.
 If I place some air filter material over the vents will I be limiting the air
flow enough that the unit overheats.?     Any suggestions  or am I being
paranoid?
Neither unit has a cooling fan,

Bob
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Tim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 09:55:21 -0400 (EDT)

When I replaced the old tube style tuner in my shop I ended up buying a 
big ugly boom box combo unit that would play my ipod (and CDs if I was 
so inclined). I have a big plastic shopping bag that I pull all the way 
down over it when not in use and lift it up so it just sits on the top 
when in use so as to keep the fall out to a minimum. It is not really 
pretty, but then again neither am I nor is most of my shop space.

tim

[email-masked]

---

From: Tim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 09:55:55 -0400 (EDT)

Oh yea, I don't have an over heating issue and I am in WI.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 10:23:59 -0700

I'd just leave it alone.  We get a lot of dust here too, and my 70's Pioneer
receiver didn't seem to mind a 20 year accumulation.  The electronics
outlived the speakers.

Of course the dial lights burned out a long time ago, so that might have
helped <g>

-- Randall 

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 17:56:40 +0000 (UTC)

How much did you pay for this thing?  If not much, just run it.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "gordies garage" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 14:21:25 -0400 s=q20121106; t=1370024469; bh=sn7sMd80ZpCJuQJXII75Pdh12qCqrykjqvMYYwy0wQc=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Reply-To:From:To:Subject:Date: MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=F3XaFRQzvwBa/36YIt8ibhMzhmjwZO5LFVrdcwPNjDUf/5ehk4tzpARgasYw/zrWM tef7YaIsBSYTL9XxA51uGReeJKSh7HOuYAx5fwQqmfERKzb7Fhd7XpB4ru7wl4O0Gj WS4tsHGbZLKEzFkjLmyYKDwPusI1BzGFXZL26G1jrYBXNl5IsZRsZqqhUrJi4ZLjaQ mb026FSUe3nuQ52uimfTxd3aagk0lH5AeRkfMik+wgGEkHwmlRAtXXb3MloxYyV5n3 Vdresr8QdPc7KM7pkuUWuPQ5OzdG1SLpGQZtO/CwsVhaQpRLdkCD2DI3X8pBfd9wsf lWmKIW+EZlORw==

I have a relatively nice Sony receiver in the garage and I simply use a 
small towel to cover the top when not in use and fold it over itself when in 
use.  Been a couple years and no problems other than the neighbors when I 
crank up the Bose Series II speakers attached to it.

Gordie 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Jack Brooks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 20:48:05 -0700

Bob, 

How about a flat plate on top of the receiver with say 2 inch standoffs at
the corners.  The dust can't drop in and the heat can get out.  Plus it's
additional storage surface!!!

Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bob Nogueira
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 5:33 AM
To: Shop Talk
Subject: [Shop-talk] Stereo cooling in the garage

My 40 year old Realistic stereo in the garage finally died. I replaced it
with
a TEAC  unit.   The Realistic unit had a walnut case with the cooling vents
located on the backside. The TEAC unit has the cooling vents on the top of
the
case.
I'm worried that with the amount of dust generated in the garage I'll have a
heavy build up of dust inside the case.
 If I place some air filter material over the vents will I be limiting the
air
flow enough that the unit overheats.?     Any suggestions  or am I being
paranoid?
Neither unit has a cooling fan,

Bob

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]