Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] I feel . . . wrong

From: Jimmie Mayfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 15:06:07 -0400

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 09:03:17PM -0700, Mark Miller wrote:
> Convince me I need to fix the Echo and use a real tool. 

Eh, use whatever gets the job done with the least amount of trouble.

I have a Stihl brushcutter that I use for clearing out fence rows on my
parents' farm.  It's well-built and has seen a lot of use.  It's also loud,
heavy and when I'm done, I smell like 2-cycle exhaust.  I also have a Troy-bilt 
electric trimmer.  It doesn't leak, it's (relatively) quiet, it always starts
when I pull the trigger and winterizing it consists of hanging it on a hook.

Guess which one gets used if I'm anywhere near a power outlet...

(Another thing that gets used a *lot* on the farm is a string trimmer on 
two-wheels.  Uses a 6.5hp lawn mower engine and it'll go through just about
anything.  Things that would require me to mount a blade to the brushcutter
don't faze this guy.  It'll cut through reeds and corn with the engine idling.
If it were less bulky, I'd probably ditch the Stihl entirely)

JM
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Mullen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 19:15:49 -0400

Mark Miller wrote:
>
>
> Ok.  So my Echo string trimmer was acting up.  Seemed like a fuel problem;
> it would start but not run well, stall out, and needed the throttle and
> choke played with to keep it going.  

This is going to sound silly, but my trimmer acted like this once.  When
taking it apart to fix it, I took off the air filter and housing, and
discovered that bolts that held the carb to the engine were a bit loose.
Tightened those, put the filter back on, and everything worked just fine.

Tim Mullen

[email-masked]

---

From: Eric Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 07:29:17 -0700

On 05/01/2013 12:06 PM, Jimmie Mayfield wrote:
> when I'm done, I smell like 2-cycle exhaust.

Get some Redline twostroke oil.  I prefer their Allsport for power 
equipment (I also used it in my trials motorcycles).
It's a low deposit synthetic oil, made for applications like outboard 
motors which may have to idle for a long time without fouling a plug and 
still handle a WFO run back to the dock for beer.  It is not that expensive.

But the great thing about Redline twostroke oils, besides lubricating 
well, is that they make the exhaust smell good.
Not like unicorn farts or strawberries, but like castor based two-stroke 
oils.  It makes weed whacking smell like the race track without the eye 
watering race gas.

I started using in trials bikes because in trials you do a lot of low 
speed riding and often practice the same obstacle over and over, so you 
get to smell your exhaust.  And when competing you sometimes wait in a 
line of a few bikes.  The Motul I had been using made the exhaust smell 
nasty and other competitors complained.

You'll still smell like exhaust but you won't mind so much.

Eric

[email-masked]

---

From: "Jack Brooks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 19:42:10 -0700

+1 on Redline synthetic two stroke oil.  It's all I use.

Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Eric Murray
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2013 7:29 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] I feel . . . wrong

Eric

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2013 07:53:43 -0400

>> equipment (I also used it in my trials motorcycles).

Another good alternative that may be a little cheaper: Yamaha's 2 stroke 
oil, "YamaLube" comes in "2S" for machines with oil injection pumps, and 
"2R" for pre-mix with gas. Started using it when I got my bike, and then 
tried it in the little power equipment, and was very pleased at the 
improvement. It's around $7 - $9/qt at bike shops that are Yamaha 
dealers, or mail order.

-Wayne

[email-masked]

---

From: Eric Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 13:02:22 -0700

On 05/03/2013 04:53 AM, Wayne wrote:
>
> Another good alternative that may be a little cheaper: Yamaha's 2 
> stroke oil, "YamaLube" comes in "2S" for machines with oil injection 
> pumps, and "2R" for pre-mix with gas. Started using it when I got my 
> bike, and then tried it in the little power equipment, and was very 
> pleased at the improvement. It's around $7 - $9/qt at bike shops that 
> are Yamaha dealers, or mail order.

Yamalube is good stuff.  All their chemicals are.  I used to use their 
case sealant on my british motorcycles
which have especially poor case mating surfaces.  My Triumph didn't leak 
after I was done rebuilding it with Yamabond #4 and #5.

But the Redline oil will make the exhaust smell better.

Eric.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Jack Brooks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 19:18:22 -0700

If you really want the nice 2-stroke smell use castor oil.  We use it in our
RC Nitro engines and every once in a while, like when we are heading for a
classic cruise night, I'll dump a pint into my 1960 Triumph TR3's gas tank.
Makes that vintage car smell even better.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2013 1:02 PM

Eric.

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 13:44:29 -0400

> But the Redline oil will make the exhaust smell better.

HuhHuh, I don't know if the YamaLube makes it "better". I can say its 
smell is slightly noticable it in the exhaust, but it doesn't make my 
hair and clothes REEK of burned oil like the typical junk sold for power 
equipment. And it's under $10/qt vs > $15/qt for RedLine. And it's a lot 
easier to find on a local store's shelves vs RedLine.

I am a huge RedLine fan tho -- run it in my transmissions, just dumped 
2qts in the Lexus' rear diff last weekend, and use the "Lightweight 
Shockproof" in the bike's rear drive case.

-Wayne

[email-masked]