Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] CadiLumina

From: David Hillman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 13:23:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 9 May 2013, Matt wrote:
> http://columbusga.craigslist.org/ctd/3784519887.html I bet it was built in a
> shop....

    Would it not actually be a Luminadillac?

--
  David Hillman
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 13:41:12 -0500

*Crazy Bob's Body Shop????*

On 9 May 2013 12:19, Matt <[email-masked]> wrote:

>   *I bet it was built in a
> shop*....
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2013 19:12:05 -0400

>   http://columbusga.craigslist.org/ctd/3784519887.html I bet it was built in a

Wow! Atrocious, but I gotta give it to him for creativity!

-w

[email-masked]

---

From: "Jim Franklin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 14:55:40 -0400

I have about 1/2 acre of foot-high grass that I just want short, not
pristine. Got a quote of $385 to cut it. Once. I have a Honda rider mower
that is dog slow and fills the bags in 10 feet.

I'd like to get one of those stand-on mowers I see the pros using that
really scoot, and either mulch or drive it towards the center/edge, but I
have no idea what to search for. Any ideas/experiences?

thanks,
jim

[email-masked]

---

From: Scott <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 15:10:06 -0400

Yeah, pay them.

I have had literally your same experience. What you really want is a 
brush hog, or a chain mower attached to a tractor that you see highway 
road crews using. Any normal mower just can't handle too-tall grass, 
especially when you start going over cut grass on top of uncut grass. 
You either need an open deck, a very powerful engine, and a non-blade 
'blade' (a chain), or you need time and patience and a big raking object.

I have two acres that is perpetually in the same condition you describe. 
I couldn't even find someone to cut it, and when I did, I was offended 
at the quotes.

After dealing with it, I suggest you pay them, or else make friends with 
some of the guys on the road crew.

On 5/29/2013 2:55 PM, Jim Franklin wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "John Niolon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 14:27:01 -0500

jim,

they are called 'walk-behinds... and the little sulky is an accessory... 
here's a link

http://www.gravely.com/en-us/walk-behind-mowers/Pro-Walk-Hydro-Drive/Pages/default.aspx

jphn
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jim Franklin" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 1:55 PM
Subject: [Shop-talk] Stand-on mowers?

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 16:28:10 -0400

> http://www.gravely.com/en-us/walk-behind-mowers/Pro-Walk-Hydro-Drive/Pages/default.aspx

I used to have an old David Bradley 2-wheel tractor with a sickle bar
mower, whih would be good for that task, as well as satisfying one's
needs for tinkering on old machinery.

Tractor:  http://www.w-t-p.com/2005/D03-7937.jpg

Mower:  http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/maOwxo9R2-PZsUrtEHoL8kQ.jpg

You might be able to find something like that cheap, if you're so
inclined.  Otherwise, get someone to bush hog it twice a year.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

[email-masked]

---

From: Nick Brearley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 21:37:01 +0100

> have no idea what to search for. Any ideas/experiences?

Jim,

This machine could be what you are looking for:

http://www.scag.com/vride.html

Might be overkill for 1/2 an acre but I can't imagine why that should 
put you off...

Another option is a flail mower, if you are cutting irregularly I've 
found that these deal with the mowings better than a rotary deck. Ferris 
make one:

http://www.ferrisindustries.com/eu/en/walk-behind-mowers/Comfort-control-dd-fm/

Not a stand on but half an acre of mowing only means about 1 1/4 miles 
of walking.

Both makers are well thought of in the business.

Nick Brearley

[email-masked]

---

From: "John Niolon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 15:50:21 -0500

spent lots of summers letting a DB 2 wheeler drag me thru hi grass... 
changing out sickle bar teeth... running from yellow jackets... and all with 
no helmet or harness... how did we live through it !!!   That would work 
better than a "MOWER"....   it just cut the weeds then lay them 
down...easier to rake or "windrow" to clean up...

good memory, thanks Jeff

john
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jeff Scarbrough" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:28 PM
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Stand-on mowers?

[email-masked]

---

From: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 16:08:42 -0500

*I guess I'm a cheap patient person but I deal with 100 x 200 foot lot (1/2
acre) when it gets out of hand and 2 feet high just by raising the cutting
height to the top and grinding around in low gear taking a half swath when
it's REALLY heavy.  Use the chute instead of the bag and throw the cut
material to the outside.  After a few days of drying* * time, go back over
to shred the clippings.  I use a LawnBoy 12 hp rider with a single blade.
Takes about an hour and I use the cup holder for a Bud.*
*Tony*

[email-masked]

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 00:11:37 +0200

>> they are called 'walk-behinds... and the little sulky is an accessory...
http://www.gravely.com/en-us/walk-behind-mowers/Pro-Walk-Hydro-Drive/Pages/de
fault.aspx
> inclined.  Otherwise, get someone to bush hog it twice a year.

I saw a whole bunch of some thing very similar in south Serbia last week, some
pulling impressively large trailers loaded with hay. My wife's great uncle
uses one to mow his hay fields.

> Corrosion Acres, Ga.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Dave C <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 19:09:23 -0700

I don't think "sickle bar" and "cheap" are allowed to be in the same 
sentence.  At least, I have never seen any kind of sickle bar I would 
actually want to use for anything near what I would be willing to pay 
for it.

To the O.P., one thing to consider would be to rent a DR Mower. Yes, 
it's walk behind, but it'll knock the grass down.  Or find a neighbor 
with a tractor and brush hog.

On 5/29/2013 1:28 PM, Jeff Scarbrough wrote:
> Tractor:http://www.w-t-p.com/2005/D03-7937.jpg
>
> Mower:http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/maOwxo9R2-PZsUrtEHoL8kQ.jpg

[email-masked]

---

From: Scott <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 22:19:43 -0400

I just re-read the "half-acre" part. For half an acre, do what Dave says 
and rent the DR/brush hog. Half an acre is nothing to knock out with one 
of those.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Karl Vacek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 22:12:09 -0500

Jim,
Not sure that it's the machine for the job, but the commonly-seen brand of
standing mower around here (Chicago area) is Wright Stander.  It might not
be distributed very widely, but I really don't know - only that I see them
pretty much every day all summer.
Karl

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Franklin
<snip>

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 12:04:07 -0400

Perhaps something simpler would work for the original poster's task:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzdjOkLQw1s

Doug

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 11:12 PM, Karl Vacek <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 12:05:59 -0400

This also puts it in perspective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfIHiBB6xE

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 12:04 PM, Doug Braun <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Unsubscribe/Manage <http://www.team.net/forumsUnsubscribe/Manage>:

[email-masked]

---

From: Battmain <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 10:21:01 -0700 (PDT)

One may note there are no inch or two inch thick saplings in any of the
videos.  

I dug a bit but didn't find any.   :)     May be able to change my
mind, but
power tools even with their issues, will win over hard labor any
day. 

(I must be getting old. <bg>) 

Brian

----- Original Message -----
From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
> To: Shop-Talk
<[email-masked]>
> Cc: 
> Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 12:04 PM
>
>(snip)

[email-masked]

---

From: Paul Parkanzky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 14:12:49 -0400

Some of my friends invoke John Henry sometimes.  I remind them that he died at
the end and the machine kept going.

-Paul

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 14:34:04 -0400

You mean something like this?

http://www.latef.org/images/BobMachete.JPG

Doug

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 16:18:56 -0400

You, uh, haven't met me :-)

Let's say I more represent the animal that'd graze on that grass than either
of the contestants.

However, I did find a landscaping company that will do it for $50/cut. They
wanted $100 to do the first cut but my girlfriend wanted to play with the
rider mower and did about half before it got dark.

Thanks for all your responses. A friend does have a 46" commercial mower she'd
sell me but I'd need to buy the sulky. Not sure what that entails but once the
heat breaks here in MA I'll venture outside and see what she has.

jim

[email-masked]

---

From: Battmain <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 15:22:00 -0700 (PDT)

Haha. Where I'm originally from, they still cut grass that way today. :)  
The motorized things are a luxury there.  I've never been able to get my own
machete that sharp. I need to find someone who knows the art. Even my uncle's
machete, I inherited when he passed, is sharp enough to cut paper. I remember
him sitting there filing away on the edges.

Brian 

----- Original Message
-----
> Cc: 
> Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 2:34 PM
>
> On Fri, May 31,
2013 at 1:21 PM, Battmain <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>  One may note
there are no inch or two inch thick saplings in any of the
>>  mind,
but
day.
To: Shop-Talk
[email-masked]
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 17:40:03 -0500

This girlfriend who mows half your yard while you natter about buying a
mower; does she have a sister?

[email-masked]

---

From: Rand E <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 15:59:19 -0700 (PDT)

Someone like this? 

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd133/randey90/mowing_zps08982219.jpg

Randy

________________________________
From: Elton E. (Tony) Clark <[email-masked]>
To: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>; Shop Talk List 
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Fri, May 31, 2013 5:44:06 PM
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Stand-on mowers?

[email-masked]