Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dishwashers in the garage

From: "Eric J Russell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 10:50:59 -0400 a=Q5aTZ3LnKxEA:10 a=P2oOn6vrs4wA:10 a=8nJEP1OIZ-IA:10 a=S2wpYzp2RsyRkoRNwqcm1Q==:17 a=UIIELtIdiwTTfNgjI_EA:9 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10 a=S2wpYzp2RsyRkoRNwqcm1Q==:117 reip=0.000, cl=1, cld=1, fgs=0

> This weekend, I installed a dishwasher in my shop.

Years ago I read that NASA needed a way to clean electronic circuit boards 
and found that ordinary dishwasher powders in a household dishwasher was the 
most effective and efficient.

I doubt there are any engine parts that would be harmed by a dishwasher & 
soap. Ferrous metals will rust if not quickly dried & painted of course. 
Also be aware that most dishwashers have a heating element under the bottom 
rack. Don't let plastic parts come in contact with the heating element as 
they would likely melt.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Bob Kegel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 19:50:02 -0700 s=q20121106; t=1369795807; bh=8FwAICfu4MvKeQ/f6yPBLFets38/YOXxSJKUtCL6iGI=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Reply-To:From:To:Subject:Date: MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=V/0nIvW5RRjoHDSsG8pCXderlILKaQ7TGbMlghJ2K4xyUFMUmq9M5rh+U7o8IZR5g ELq9+O0bwoQkKv5FC8kYbWt1kGVgztvJy1CNMS8fpIT0hq8LkhV23cgDxN7VgKdwQf ln2fpIthq+ER3aw8r0XOAbo2E5hNWkAsAIKKIWARw2zuENqLmEHBc13CizLylW8Q0k lzFY9DnAtEY5H9C1rey6csdVc27sFqEn9JOnZGOSBQMmtsOH19DY9kZENkCy/bR5w4 4LgIV3Z9VlbVtMlBiJFLtVINEMroZOYMSqBGjN78iXolqicw0k1dasjiRhbwPbjluH qg95weWNnchuQ==

Good move!

I've used the kitchen dishwasher for car parts when the wife was out of town 
with good results. Aluminum and steel parts came out clean and there was no 
tell-tale residue in the machine.  Dishwashing detergent works well on oil 
and grease. I add a couple tablespoons to the regular detergent when washing 
my coveralls and shop rags.

Bob K 

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 23:17:14 -0400

You can also use your kitchen oven's self-cleaning cycle for filthy
castings like transmission housings and engine blocks...

Doug

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 10:50 PM, Bob Kegel <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Good move!
>
> I've used the kitchen dishwasher for car parts when the wife was out of
> town with good results. Aluminum and steel parts came out clean and there
> was no tell-tale residue in the machine.  Dishwashing detergent works well
> on oil and grease. I add a couple tablespoons to the regular detergent when
> washing my coveralls and shop rags.

[email-masked]

---

From: Todd Walke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 20:24:43 -0700

Bob wrote:

>town with good results.

         Whether it's the dishwasher or oven - make sure to remove them 
before she gets home.

         Otherwise you'll get this:
<http://s845.photobucket.com/user/Daman3/media/79%20Westy/004b-9.jpg.html>

         No need to see the expression on her face, all men will know THAT 
look...

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 276,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       405,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a new 
home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 09:34:54 -0400

On 5/28/2013 7:34 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> First, will normal dishwasher soap hurt engine parts, bare metals, etc?
> Next, is there a soap that I should use that will not hurt the dishwasher?
> Finally, are there things that should NOT go in there?

I've found them to be really good at cleaning plastic car parts over the 
years. The Ex insisted on eating fast food breakfast & what not on her 
long commute and would trash a car interior. Routine was 4 bolts - pull 
driver's seat, dismantle center console & part of dash, throw in 
dishwasher. Vacuum up crud (SUPER easy and more thorough with nothing in 
the way -- easily worth time of disassembly) while the D.W. is running. 
Also ran a lot of under hood plastic parts like covers, intake parts, etc.

Haven't done many metal parts. But I suspect any heavy oil or grease 
would gack up a D.W. in a hurry.

And the BIG thing to avoid -- do NOT use any kind of foamy detergents!!! 
Regular dish soap or Simple Green will foam like mad and make a hellish 
mess of foam you can't hardly get rid of!

-w

[email-masked]