Subject: [Shop-talk] Easier EE question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 14:14:53 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 05/06/2013 14:14:57, Serialize complete at 05/06/2013 14:14:57

OK, Since I'm out of luck for my other EE question, let me try an easier 
one.  Note, not much shop content, but it does allow me to use tools, and 
it makes the SO happy.

Anyway, I got a tanning bad for the SO.  She only uses it to relax her 
muscles since her car accident.  But here is the problem...

The machine worked fine for a while (I got it used*)  But now, when she 
starts it up, it trips the breaker.  I called the company and the breaker 
size (and wiring) I ran was for the correct size (I think it was a 10% 
over max rating.)

And since the machine worked fine for a while, what could be causing the 
extra current draw?  (and more importantly, how do I find it?)

Do I just try another breaker first?  is there a way to measure it? 
Thanks.

*= I got this unit used from someone who had it.  They got rid of it 
because it 'sparked and made  a loud noise.'  When I got it home, turns 
out that one of the connectors had shorted.  I fixed the connector and 
have been using it since.

Thanks again

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 22:11:16 +0000

> extra current draw?  (and more importantly, how do I find it?)

Just a thought; could something else have gotten connected to the circuit in the meantime?

> have been using it since.

Given that history, I'd be going through the bed looking for more problems like another short or a bad ballast.

Randall

[email-masked]