Subject: [Shop-talk] Non-skid replacement for hardwood floor strip?

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 11:23:53 -0400

I just put down some prefinished hardwood in my upstairs hallway, and I was
slipping all over the place in socks. The piece that will go between the
nosing at the top of the stairs and the rest of the flooring isn't quite a
full width piece, so I've left it out until I get the nosing, but I'm thinking
of putting in a non-skid thing as a last resort if I start sliding. Of course
it has to look nice :-)

I was thinking of a piece of perforated hardwood, but all I'm finding are
soundproofing materials. It needs to be 3/4" thick like the flooring. I don't
have a drill press so DIY 250 holes is not an option...

Any thoughts? Actually something that incorporated the nosing too would be
nice, so it isn't slippery. The rest of the stairs will have a carpet runner.

thanks,
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 15:43:50 GMT

How about a coat of clear poly with some grit in it?   MB

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
To: shop-talk List <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Non-skid replacement for hardwood floor strip?
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 11:23:53 -0400

full width piece, so I've left it out until I get the nosing, but I'm
thinking

thanks,

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 11:31:37 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 04/13/2013 11:31:48, Serialize complete at 04/13/2013 11:31:48

Just a thought, and it may not be close to what you are looking for...

Today, on tractor forums they were talking about putting a *LIGHT* dusting 
of sand between spray paint coats to make surfaces slip-prof.

Maybe a light dusting of sand in a clear top coat will work for your needs 
on whatever material you decide to use.

Just a thought.

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 

I just put down some prefinished hardwood in my upstairs hallway, and I 
was
slipping all over the place in socks. The piece that will go between the
nosing at the top of the stairs and the rest of the flooring isn't quite a
full width piece, so I've left it out until I get the nosing, but I'm 
thinking
of putting in a non-skid thing as a last resort if I start sliding. Of 
course
it has to look nice :-)

I was thinking of a piece of perforated hardwood, but all I'm finding are
soundproofing materials. It needs to be 3/4" thick like the flooring. I 
don't
have a drill press so DIY 250 holes is not an option...

Any thoughts? Actually something that incorporated the nosing too would be
nice, so it isn't slippery. The rest of the stairs will have a carpet 
runner.

thanks,

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 12:18:02 -0400

Coupla people wrote:

> How about a coat of clear poly with some grit in it?

I have no idea what super space age finish is on there now and don't really
want to mess with it. Plus, if I'm going to make something stand out such as a
different finish, I don't want it to look like I'm trying to get it to match
and failing, and I think gritty poly would look like that. I'd rather it
looked purposeful.

A cribbage board would be awesome but not at the top of the stairs :-)
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]