Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Non-skid replacement for hardwood floor strip?

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 10:41:05 -0700

Jim - Look at something like this from the Home Depot web site:
I searched for "non-skid".  It sounds exactly what you want and the 
first two five star reviews are the same stair application.

www.homedepot.com/p/t/203002764?catalogId=10053

Seal-Krete 3.2 oz. Clear Grip - Anti-Skid Additive
Model # 402002
Internet # 203002764
$8.88 /EA-Each

SEAL-KRETE Clear Grip is a durable, micronized polymeric aggregate 
developed for use as an anti-skid additive to floor paint or sealers. 
Because it's a lightweight plastic grit, Clear Grip remains suspended 
longer. It adds a slight texture to the finish without changing colors. 
It has excellent resistance to chemicals and detergents and helps extend 
paint life. Clear Grip can be used in water-based, solvent-based alkyd, 
urethane or epoxy coatings.

  -   Mix with paint or sealers to as a measure of safety to slippery 
steps, stairs and walkways
  -   Will not soften under normal heat exposure
-    Dries clear in sealers
-    Chemical and solvent resistant

 From the reviews:

We have hardwood stairs in our house and we've had a few close calls 
when walking on them wearing socks. I lightly sanded the stairs, mixed 
some Clear Grip into a quart of urathane clear coat and painted it on. 
The stairs are much safer now and they look the same as they did before.

----

We needed to refinish our wooden stairs in our home. I had seen this 
product used on one of those many re-do your house shows, so we thought 
we would give it a try. We added the recommended amount to the clear 
polyurethane we used for the top of the steps. It mixed in very easily - 
and after it was good and dry, YEAH, NO LONGER SLIPPERY!! You cannot 
tell it is there unless you look closely. We HIGHLY recommend this 
product to anyone that worries about sliping on the stairs.

Brian

On 4/13/2013 8:23 AM, Jim Franklin wrote:
> I just put down some prefinished hardwood in my upstairs hallway, and I was
> slipping all over the place in socks. The piece that will go between the
> nosing at the top of the stairs and the rest of the flooring isn't quite a
> full width piece, so I've left it out until I get the nosing, but I'm thinking
> of putting in a non-skid thing as a last resort if I start sliding. Of course
> it has to look nice :-)
>
> I was thinking of a piece of perforated hardwood, but all I'm finding are
> soundproofing materials. It needs to be 3/4" thick like the flooring. I don't
> have a drill press so DIY 250 holes is not an option...
>
> Any thoughts? Actually something that incorporated the nosing too would be
> nice, so it isn't slippery. The rest of the stairs will have a carpet runner.
>
> thanks,
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Karl Vacek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 14:08:37 -0500

What about a strip of smooth rubber flooring, or rubber threshold?
Installation options could range from a full rubber nosing to rabbeting a
strip of rubber (flat or perhaps arched up like a threshold) into the wood
nosing.

Karl

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Franklin
Subject: [Shop-talk] Non-skid replacement for hardwood floor strip?

I just put down some prefinished hardwood in my upstairs hallway, and I was
slipping all over the place in socks. The piece that will go between the
nosing at the top of the stairs and the rest of the flooring isn't quite a
full width piece, so I've left it out until I get the nosing, but I'm
thinking of putting in a non-skid thing as a last resort if I start sliding.
Of course it has to look nice :-)

I was thinking of a piece of perforated hardwood, but all I'm finding are
soundproofing materials. It needs to be 3/4" thick like the flooring. I
don't have a drill press so DIY 250 holes is not an option...

Any thoughts? Actually something that incorporated the nosing too would be
nice, so it isn't slippery. The rest of the stairs will have a carpet
runner.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]