Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cutting up fiberglass

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 10:01:41 -0400

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 9:42 AM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Ok, I have a 23' sailboat that I need to get rid of.  Here are my
> options...
>
> If I cut it, can I use a chainsaw without damaging the saw (I'm not that
> concerned about the blade, I'll just use an old one.)
>
> If I wet the boat as I'm cutting, will this damage the saw?

I'd be worried about my lungs.  I imagine there'd be lots of fibrous
dust.  Bad for you and your tool.

What about busting it with a hammer into smaller pieces?  Maybe an air
chisel and wide-blade implement?

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 10:11:05 -0400

On Apr 26, 2013, at 9:42 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
>
> I've tried in the past to use a recip saw, but it took forever.  What
> about a carbide tip cir-saw or dia grinder?

I cut up a shower with a sawzall and demolition blade. It went quickly enough
that I could hold my breath. Boat may be made from something completely
different though.

Are you near a vo-tech school or sailing club/school? A donation could be
useful for either.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Ronnie Day <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 09:15:14 -0500

If you're going to cut it up, I'd use a recip saw with a medium blade, and
wear a mask and saftey glasses like Jeff suggested.

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage <http://www.team.net/forumsUnsubscribe/Manage>:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Matt Wehland <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 10:21:20 -0500

How big is the keel and is it lead?

Lead is worth money, don't put it in the dumpster.

If you want leads on selling the lead let me know.

Matt

On 4/26/2013 8:42 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> 1-Sell it complete for maybe a $100-$200 (trailer included.)(Note, the
> boat needs work.)
> 2-Part it out and sell the components, then get rid of the hull.  (I'm
> estimating about $700-$1200 worth of parts)
> 3-Donate it complete
>
> I was opting for #2.  If I go that route, I have to cut up the boat.  It's
> a single skin (no insulation or foam) hull.  I have a 2yd dumpster that I
> could put pieces in each week.
>
> Any advice?
> Eric P
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
> being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph
> Waldo Emerson
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
Matt Wehland
(815) 295-4533

[email-masked]

---

From: Neil Sherry <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 19:34:30 +0100

My Thoughts. Don't do it!
By all means strip and sell the fittings. But then with the hull:

    List it on ebay - for $5 - someone might take it away and save you
    the trouble of cutting it up! Or even keep it!
    It could be used in a playground for kids to climb over, turned
    upside down as a shed/playhouse, maybe a college could use it for
    structural testing analysis. It could be sunk in the ground as a
    pond, filled with soil and planted with flowers/vegetables (think
    jumbo window box - maybe at the side of the road outside your
    property). Or the front 8 ft could be cut off and stood up to form a
    sheltered seat - like this
    http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3187/2845782678_53ab5c3efb_z.jpg?zz=1

If you get really desperate, maybe break it up with a machine 
(backhoe/bulldozer etc) rather than cutting might work

On 26/04/2013 14:42, [email-masked] wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: old dirtbeard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 11:49:10 -0700 (PDT)

Strip it and leave the hull by the side of the road with a "free" sign.  I think 
it would disappear...

best,

doug

----- Original Message ----
From: Neil Sherry <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Fri, April 26, 2013 11:34:45 AM
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cutting up fiberglass

On 26/04/2013 14:42, [email-masked] wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 15:16:32 -0400

> Strip it and leave the hull by the side of the road with a "free" sign.  I think

Better yet, with a sign that says "ForSale: $100".  Then somebody is
sure to take it in the dark of night...
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Shannah Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 12:29:13 -0700

At the risk of being overly pedantic, if you do decide to cut
it up yourself, I would recommend using a respirator, and
not just a mask.

I used a mask with fiberglass, and still wound up with some
lung damage from it.

Shannah

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Dave C <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 21:04:28 -0700

I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help, but I do have a story.

Some time ago, probably around 25 or so years ago, my youngest brother 
dragged an old sailboat (18 feet or so) and trailer out to my dad's 
acreage on the outskirts of League City, Tx, about 20 miles south of 
Houston.  I  understand he bought it for the trailer, and had grandiose 
ideas of selling the boat (if I know my brother).  The boat never did 
sell, and my dad kept bugging him to get rid of it. One day he showed up 
with a can of gas.  He borrowed my dad's chain saw and cut the boat up 
into pieces, and then set fire to them in the pasture (my brother tends 
to be somewhat ......impulsive).  I understand it was a relatively large 
and smoky fire.  In due course a representative from the local fire 
department stopped by, and his only comment was "most people wait until 
after dark to do things like that", and then left.

My brother is still alive, although still impulsive and (maybe a little 
more than) somewhat nuts.  I have no information on the fate of the 
chainsaw.

On 4/26/2013 6:42 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]