Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] slow disposal drain

From: "Jack Brooks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 11:19:02 -0700

I'd give Hot water a go if you think the problem is in the connector pipe
and it might be a fatty build up.  Pour in a large container of hot water,
while the hot water is running.  I wouldn't run the disposal at this time,
you want to give the hot water plenty of time to clear out the buildup.  The
idea is to overwhem the pipe with water and scour it clean.  Conversely, you
might just move the fat further down the pipe, which might not be a good
thing.  

I've also run ice cubes down mine when it slowed.  The cubes clean the heck
out of the inside of the disposal.  Citrus rinds clean really well too.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tim
Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:11 AM
To: Shop Talk
Subject: [Shop-talk] slow disposal drain

I have a garbage disposal that drains slow unless you run it. While I am 
pretty sure I know what is causing it (build up in the pipe), I am 
hoping that I don't have to pull the drain pipe to clean it out....

So, that being said, does anyone know if there is something I can run 
down the drain that will clear out that build up? Regular drain cleaners 
have not worked....

Thanks!
tim
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Benjamin Zwissler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 16:17:23 -0400

I use the bacterial cleaners.  It won't work immediately but will keep it
clean indefinitely.  It comes as a dry powder that you mix with warm water
and pour down the drain.  The bacteria eats the bio materials, including
soap scum.  I had a slow drain on my washer that was difficult to keep
clear.  The bacterial cleaner has kept it clean for years.  If you  put
something down it that kills the bacteria you may to add them again.

Ben......

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Jack Brooks <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Jack Brooks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 14:22:21 -0700

Yes, I agree 100% on the bugs Ben!  I use them and should have discussed
them here too.  

With the slow drain, I just felt it was good to start with getting it
flowing better, as the bacteria are great for the long haul, but will take
some time to clear out the current mess.

  _____  

From: Benjamin Zwissler [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2013 1:17 PM
To: Jack Brooks
Cc: Shop Talk
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] slow disposal drain

Ben......

-----Original Message-----

Thanks!
tim

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
<http://www.team.net/forums%0d%0aUnsubscribe/Manage> 

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
<http://www.team.net/forums%0d%0aUnsubscribe/Manage> 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 16:16:20 -0700

Tim - I had a disposer where the drain hose got clogged.  I also had a 
case where the trap under the sink was very restricted with gunk. I'd 
try a sink full of hot water first as was already recommended then if 
that didn't work, go under the sink and check the drain pipe that is 
easy to get access.

When I moved into my current house, I had to replace about 30 feet of 
cast iron drain pipe.  It was clogged almost solid, but rotted through 
at the bottom.  The plumber replacing the pipe (home warranty from the 
seller) said this is why he loves drain cleaners. Rather than just 
running a snake, he gets to charge a day or two of labor and put in new 
pipe.  I don't know how true that is with other types of pipe, but I 
minimize my use of drain cleaner.

Brian

On 4/14/2013 10:11 AM, Tim wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 19:32:00 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Elton E. (Tony) Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 April 2013 18:51
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] slow disposal drain
To: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Cc: Tim <[email-masked]>, Shop Talk <[email-masked]>

My wife, desperate to clear a disposal drain before company arrived,
plugged both sides of the sink, ran the disposal side full of hot water and
then unplugged that side and turned on the disposal . . the pumping action
of the disposer and the weight of the full sink of water cleared the
drain.  We've tried it since;  it always works for simple  clogs but one
wants to hold the non-disposer plug in place while the disposer runs or it
might flow up in the sink.

On 14 April 2013 18:16, Brian Kemp <[email-masked]> wrote:

> case where the trap under the sink was very restricted with gunk. I'd try a
> sink full of hot water first as was already recommended then if that didn't
> work, go under the sink and check the drain pipe that is easy to get access.
>
> When I moved into my current house, I had to replace about 30 feet of cast
> iron drain pipe.  It was clogged almost solid, but rotted through at the
> bottom.  The plumber replacing the pipe (home warranty from the seller)
> said this is why he loves drain cleaners. Rather than just running a snake,
> he gets to charge a day or two of labor and put in new pipe.  I don't know
> how true that is with other types of pipe, but I minimize my use of drain
> cleaner.
>
> Brian
>
>
>> ______________________________**_________________
>>
>> [email-masked]
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
>> options/shop-talk/bk13@**earthlink.net<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]>
>>
> ______________________________**_________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/shop-talk/eltonclark@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]>

[email-masked]

---

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 09:29:44 -0400

There is the old "run ice through the disposer" trick that's great for 
knocking rust and grime off the inside of the grind chamber. I've had 
really good results with Drano or Liquid Plumber foaming drain cleaners 
for drains & traps, but I don't know if I'd want to run it through a 
disposer (and they recommend against it.)

PVC pipes & traps are dirt cheap, and Insinkerator makes a kick ass 
disposer. Installed their "Evo Compact" with the stainless steel chamber 
a couple years ago for $200; just avoid the el-cheapo "Badger" series.

Brian wrote:
 > The plumber replacing the pipe ... said this is why he loves drain
 > cleaners. Rather than just running a snake, he gets to charge a day
 > or two of labor and put in new pipe.

I saw this as a kid back in the 70s. Mom used to regularly use cleaner 
in the kitchen sink, which the chemical companies of the day advocated. 
Started leaking one day. The cleaner had totally eaten away the copper 
or brass pipe & trap from the inside out, and all that was left was a 
shell of chrome, about the thickness of heavy aluminum foil! PVC OTOH is 
pretty inert to alkaline & acid cleaners and doubt it would suffer.

-Wayne

[email-masked]

---

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 09:39:11 -0400

> of the disposer and the weight of the full sink of water cleared the

My place was built around 2001, and has these "air admittance valves" 
(check valves, basically) rather that vent stacks on the drains.

Filled the disposer & sink full of water to test for leaks, and found 
the disposer has strong enough pumping action that water was going UP 
the pipe and spraying out all over the cabinet under the sink! Yuck. 
Supposed to only allow air IN, nothing out!

-w

[email-masked]

---

From: "Karl Vacek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 07:58:21 -0500

Based on the good experiences reported here, I decided to try "bugs" in our
upstairs bathroom.  The tub drain runs a long way to the stack, and
sometimes gets slow.  Bleach always fixes it, but a permanent fix sounds
better.

I went to Menard's and saw many kinds of enzymatic septic system cleaners,
but nothing that said it was intended for interior plumbing.  Same thing, or
is there another product that I need to look for?

Thanks!
Karl

[email-masked]