Subject: [Shop-talk] I feel . . . wrong

From: "Mark Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 21:03:17 -0700

Ok.  So my Echo string trimmer was acting up.  Seemed like a fuel problem;
it would start but not run well, stall out, and needed the throttle and
choke played with to keep it going.  So I bought fresh gas and went to get a
carb rebuild kit for it.  The guy also recommended a new fuel filter so I
got that as well.  Put in fresh gas (the old was probably only 2 months or
so but figured it couldn't hurt....) and the filter, gave it a shot and no
change.  OK, it needs a rebuild.  I got too busy so I put it off.  Then my
wife let me know that I would be feeding the mini-donks and horse if she
couldn't get to the shed through the weeds and so to be sure it got done I
bought a cheesy little electric B&D string trimmer and (here's the really
bad part): it was great.  No futzing, weighed way less than the gas trimmer,
less buzzy, didn't stink, the string feed is totally automatic and actually
worked (no more need to cut pieces and change it all the damn time.  Oh
yeah, and it starts without having to think about it.  
But But But I have turned my back on a tool with an engine in place of one
with a dinky little electric motor and a cord.  Convince me I need to fix
the Echo and use a real tool.   

Help,
Mark Miller
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 19:46:07 +0000

> the Echo and use a real tool.   

Sorry, Mark.  I'm as big a fan of Our Lady of Internal Combustion as anyone, but if electric meets your needs better, I'd say go for it.

My experience was that the electric trimmer just didn't have what it takes to slash through weeds too thick to walk through (or even see over), so I rebuilt the carb on my old Homelite without a rebuild kit (gaskets cut from construction paper, etc.).  But if it had done the job (and I didn't have to drag a cord up a nearly vertical hill), I would have kept using the little electric.  It was still handy for trimming around the flower beds and so on.

Randall

[email-masked]

---

From: Dave C <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 19:02:22 -0700

I keep my big old bicycle handled Stihl around for murdering brush and 
high weeks (and the occasional banana slug) but after getting two light 
duty gas string trimmers that my wife couldn't start, I got her a 
plug-in Stihl that she's thrilled with.  This was after the old yellow 
single line Weed Eater she inherited from her dad finally bit the dust.

Now if she would just put the damn extension cord away....

On 4/30/2013 12:46 PM, Randall wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]