Subject: [Shop-talk] Transferring trailers across states.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 21:22:38 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 04/29/2013 21:22:40, Serialize complete at 04/29/2013 21:22:40

OK, I've got a quick question.  I'm in NJ and I have a trailer for 
sailboat that a guy in NC wants to buy.

NJ only requires a "bill of Sale" for trailer registration, but he says 
that NC requires a title.

Any idea how to go about this?  I'm trying to sell a project sailboat and 
he seems interested. 

BTW, here is a shameless link to the ebay listing of the project sailboat 
in case anyone else wants to increase their time required in the shop 
(obshop content!)  8>)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/79-23-Aquarius-Sailboat-with-dual-axle-trailer-documents-and-clean-titles-/271198705272?_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&forcev4exp=true 
<

It's old, ugly, rough, and dirty...  But then again, so am I.  8>0

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 22:37:56 -0400

I would say he should go to this site:

http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/title/vehicles/

and scroll down to the "trailers" section, where it says:

"Trailers are registered the same way as a car.  Visit the Titles 
Section for the steps involved in registering a vehicle.  Individuals 
coming from a state that does not title and register trailers would 
need to contact us."

They have a link, phone number and email info there.  I don't think 
this is a situation they haven't dealt with before.

-Steve Trovato
[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 19:31:51 +0000

---- Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]> wrote: 

> Like the other replies said, they've done this before.  You might have
> to be persistent in finding someone familiar with the process, but it
> can be done.

Sometimes you have to be very persistent.  Not the same problem, but when I wanted to register my 56 Triumph TR3 using plates that had been assigned to it in 1963; I wound up having to print out the relevant section of the vehicle code and show it to the clerk and her supervisor at the DMV.  Even then they refused to approve my application on the spot, but they did agree to send it to state headquarters in Sacramento, who approved it a few weeks later.

Randall

[email-masked]