Subject: [Shop-talk] Cutting up fiberglass

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 09:42:35 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 04/26/2013 09:42:38, Serialize complete at 04/26/2013 09:42:38

Ok, I have a 23' sailboat that I need to get rid of.  Here are my 
options...

1-Sell it complete for maybe a $100-$200 (trailer included.)(Note, the 
boat needs work.)
2-Part it out and sell the components, then get rid of the hull.  (I'm 
estimating about $700-$1200 worth of parts)
3-Donate it complete

I was opting for #2.  If I go that route, I have to cut up the boat.  It's 
a single skin (no insulation or foam) hull.  I have a 2yd dumpster that I 
could put pieces in each week.

If I cut it, can I use a chainsaw without damaging the saw (I'm not that 
concerned about the blade, I'll just use an old one.) 

If I wet the boat as I'm cutting, will this damage the saw?

I've tried in the past to use a recip saw, but it took forever.  What 
about a carbide tip cir-saw or dia grinder?

Any advice?

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive