Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] clone HDD

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 17:40:28 -0700

> Probably another fix could be to just install a second HDD 
> and move all the picture, video and music files that are 
> eating up space on the C drive.

If you have the drive bay & port, that is definitely the route I would
recommend.  Huge new hard drives are really cheap these days, and you can
just set it up as D: and start using it.  No need to copy the existing files
if you don't want to (unless you need more room for optimizing, etc).  And
working across different disc spindles can help speed up some operations.

I'm up to H: on this machine <g>

Maybe some drive makers offer cloning software now that will work across
different disk types, but they sure didn't use to.  We used to use a product
called Symantec Ghost a lot; it worked very well across different disc
types.  But Windoze still sometimes had problems with the new drive,
especially if the interface type was different (eg replacing parallel IDE
with SATA or whatever).

-- Randall 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive