Subject: [Shop-talk] Tell me about transponder keys

From: Dave C <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 12:54:14 -0700

I just got a 2013 Subaru Forester.  It apparently uses transponder 
keys.  It looks like the days of having a cheap copy cut to keep in my 
wallet are over.  So what's the deal with transponder keys?  Can Ace 
Hardware clone them?  What's the deal about only being able to "program" 
a maximum of four keys for the car (as per the manual)? Can I make an 
unlimited number of clones?   Why is everything such a PITA these days? 
    (I feel a rant coming on....)

FWIW this car DOES NOT have remote start, although of course it does 
have remote door lock fobs.

Thanks
Dave
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 05:06:52 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 03/18/2013 05:06:17, Serialize complete at 03/18/2013 05:06:17

Dave writes...

>I hadn't thought of that; good idea.
>
>
>On 3/17/2013 5:28 PM, Pat Horne wrote:
>> I would use the same type of brass key  if I were the outdoors type 
>> and didn't want to hike or run with the chance of loosing the 
>> transponder key in my pocket. Just lock the transponder key inside the 
>> car (hidden) and use the cheap key to open the door. 

Not to hijack this thread or anything, but this is why I installed the 
true 'keyless' entry into my truck.  Instead of using any key or fob to 
get into the car, I can just lock the key (with the transponder) in the 
car.  Then when I need to get in, I just type in the code to the keypad. 
It's perfect for this.

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]