Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tool cabinets

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 14:34:24 -0500

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 12:42 PM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> So, does anyone know of a source to check for these?  Am I crazy for not
> needing a rolling toll cabinet?

Here's a supplier of exactly what you want:
http://www.modulinecabinets.com/garage-drawer2.html

A few minutes on that site, and you'll feel a lot better about the
price of your rolling cabinet.

No, you aren't crazy for not needing wheels.  I spent 5 years as a
professional mechanic, and used the wheels sometimes; mainly because
time was money - literally.  Why take time to step for a tool when you
could just reach.  Of course, 90% of what I did was repetitive, so
there wasn't much contemplation required.

As a hobbyist mechanic, though, it's a different thing.  For most
folks, you are doing something you don't do very often, so it pays to
slow down a bit and ponder your next step, next process, next tool.
Also gives you a chance to swing by the chilly bin on your way from
car to toolbox.  And time isn't nearly as much of an issue when you
are doing something you enjoy....since I quit the life of the
schmieraffe and brought my tools home, I've used the wheels maybe
three times in 20 years, only when I rearranged the shop.

I'd look at pawn shops for used toolboxes, talk to the guy on the tool
truck if you can catch him, and study Craigslist in your area.  Be
patient, and a bargain will come to you eventually.  Most likely,
though, just after you bought that $1500 rolling box.

Curious about the ER cabinets - I've got some old metal laboratory
furniture, and it's pretty stout.  A lot better than the kitchen
cabinets I just bought down at the big box.  I'd be finding a way to
re-use what I already had, if it's possible...

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Scott <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2013 17:25:16 -0500

I agree completely with Jeff, with an even more anti-wheel sentiment. I 
also worked as a mechanic, and the only time I've ever used the wheels 
was to roll the box into the shop when I started and out when I quit.

Likewise, I agree with the home mechanic sentiment too. I find the trips 
to the box for a new tool give me time to think about what I'm about to 
destructively disassemble next. And if it's something for which I really 
want to have 'x' set of tools with me, I far prefer a tray or small 
rolling cart to keep them on. The box itself it a huge pain in to 
actually move. So much so that I'll be doing away with the wheels 
entirely on the next box. It'll be easier to place without the wheels.

Scott

On 3/2/2013 2:34 PM, Jeff Scarbrough wrote:
> http://www.modulinecabinets.com/garage-drawer2.html A few minutes on 
> that site, and you'll feel a lot better about the price of your 
> rolling cabinet. No, you aren't crazy for not needing wheels. I spent 
> 5 years as a professional mechanic, and used the wheels sometimes; 
> mainly because time was money - literally. Why take time to step for a 
> tool when you could just reach. Of course, 90% of what I did was 
> repetitive, so there wasn't much contemplation required. As a hobbyist 
> mechanic, though, it's a different thing. For most folks, you are 
> doing something you don't do very often, so it pays to slow down a bit 
> and ponder your next step, next process, next tool. Also gives you a 
> chance to swing by the chilly bin on your way from car to toolbox. And 
> time isn't nearly as much of an issue when you are doing something you 
> enjoy....since I quit the life of the schmieraffe and brought my tools 
> home, I've used the wheels maybe three times in 20 years, only when I 
> rearranged the shop. I'd look at pawn shops for used toolboxes, talk 
> to the guy on the tool truck if you can catch him, and study 
> Craigslist in your area. Be patient, and a bargain will come to you 
> eventually. Most likely, though, just after you bought that $1500 
> rolling box. Curious about the ER cabinets - I've got some old metal 
> laboratory furniture, and it's pretty stout. A lot better than the 
> kitchen cabinets I just bought down at the big box. I'd be finding a 
> way to re-use what I already had, if it's possible... 

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2013 16:07:36 -0700

Rolling big tool boxes around rarely happens.  More likely a service
cart will do the trick as a handy, on the spot place to keep the tools
currently in use and the parts, spray cans, etc.

mjb.

[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 18:52:54 -0500

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 6:07 PM, Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]> wrote:
> More likely a service
> currently in use

Betraying my Northern European car roots, I've always wanted one of these:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16982

The guy who taught me to be a VW mechanic in my first job had one, and
it was the best compromise for mobility and storage that you could
want.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]