Subject: [Shop-talk] Tool cabinets

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 12:42:12 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 03/02/2013 12:43:29, Serialize complete at 03/02/2013 12:43:29

OK, I'm thinking about upgrading my current shops work bench.

The area is my 'main' work surface.  Currently, I have a bunch of metal 
cabinets that came out of a hospital's ER room. They are study, but they 
don't hold alot of weight in the drawers.

So I was going to upgrade.

What I'm looking for is something like this...

>http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200581343_200581343<

But without the wheels, and no lip on the top (so I can put a wood counter 
top over it.), oh yeah, and about a 1/3rd of the price!

I can't find anything anywhere like this.  This is for a stationary 
cabinet.  Ideally I will have two of them, side by side.

I found a cheap one on sale...

>http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200582752_200582752<

But it doesn't look that sturdy.  Nor does it allow me to put them end to 
end (unless I cut the top down.)

So, does anyone know of a source to check for these?  Am I crazy for not 
needing a rolling toll cabinet?

TIA.

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 20:13:00 GMT

I will second Jeff's tip about Craigslist if you have the time.Another option
is there are likely some liquidation places in the NE.I recently saw a few
pieces on the Atlanta Craigslist that were listed by an industrial liquidator
in the SE and they seemed to have a large supply of used Vidmar cabinets at
attractive prices.That would probably be best for you - find a couple of
Vidmars at a good price used. Matt

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tool cabinets
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 14:34:24 -0500

> needing a rolling toll cabinet?

Here's a supplier of exactly what you want:
http://www.modulinecabinets.com/garage-drawer2.html

A few minutes on that site, and you'll feel a lot better about the
price of your rolling cabinet.

No, you aren't crazy for not needing wheels.  I spent 5 years as a
professional mechanic, and used the wheels sometimes; mainly because
time was money - literally.  Why take time to step for a tool when you
could just reach.  Of course, 90% of what I did was repetitive, so
there wasn't much contemplation required.

As a hobbyist mechanic, though, it's a different thing.  For most
folks, you are doing something you don't do very often, so it pays to
slow down a bit and ponder your next step, next process, next tool.
Also gives you a chance to swing by the chilly bin on your way from
car to toolbox.  And time isn't nearly as much of an issue when you
are doing something you enjoy....since I quit the life of the
schmieraffe and brought my tools home, I've used the wheels maybe
three times in 20 years, only when I rearranged the shop.

I'd look at pawn shops for used toolboxes, talk to the guy on the tool
truck if you can catch him, and study Craigslist in your area.  Be
patient, and a bargain will come to you eventually.  Most likely,
though, just after you bought that $1500 rolling box.

Curious about the ER cabinets - I've got some old metal laboratory
furniture, and it's pretty stout.  A lot better than the kitchen
cabinets I just bought down at the big box.  I'd be finding a way to
re-use what I already had, if it's possible...

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]