Subject: [Shop-talk] Safety Wire Drill Guide

From: Jim Juhas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2013 14:53:39 -0500

I have one of these:

http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=MT002

and I have been unable to successfully drill the proper hole into a bolt 
head or nut using this.  I keep breaking the tip of the drill so I lose 
the cutting edge of the drill before I can get it to make a hole.  Have 
any of you been able to make this work?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 12:13:28 -0800

> and I have been unable to successfully drill the proper hole 
> into a bolt head or nut using this.  I keep breaking the tip 
> of the drill so I lose the cutting edge of the drill before I 
> can get it to make a hole.  Have any of you been able to make 
> this work?

I don't have one, but have you tried first grinding a small flat across the
corner of the bolt head, where the hole will go?

-- Randall 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 11:02:58 -0800

> Not sure if there's any secret here.  I've drilled a dozen 
> 1/8" safety wire holes in Grade 8 bolts before using a single 
> cobalt bit in a drill press, and without the tool you linked 
> to -

But did you start on the corner of the bolt head?  That's what the linked-to
tool is designed to do; and it has a guide right next to the bolt head to
hold the drill on-center to the corner.  Seems to me that even a cobalt bit
is going to grab the corner of the bolt head and bind or break; unless you
grind a small flat for the bit to start into.

-- Randall 

[email-masked]