Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Inexpensive framing nailer/compressor

From: Ronnie Day <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 15:00:13 -0600

Keep an eye on the Home Depot and Lowes ads. We got a couple of refurbed
Ridgids from HD several years ago for around $170 each, IIRC. It was going
to cost us more than the total to rent one locally over two weekends and
the week in between.

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Jim Stone <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I would like to buy a framing nailer.  I don t want to spend a lot as this
> is
> not something I will use often, but after recently borrowing one I realize
> how
> nice they are when needed.  I would like to keep the total costs under $200
> and I am weighing my options.  Does anyone here have any recommendations?
>  I
> could certainly buy new at HF and keep within my budget, but would want to
> know that someone else had bought one and found it ok.
> Thanks.
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage <http://www.team.net/forumsUnsubscribe/Manage>:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 19:31:21 -0800

I have a couple year old HF framing nailer and it works ok.  I also have 
a box of HF nails of the maximum gauge that the gun can use. The nails 
are kind of thin compared to a 10 penny nail and I've had a few curve 
due to the grain of the 2x lumber.

Last summer I had a contractor help me rebuild a 45' long cantilevered 
balcony and used his Rigid nailer.  For an engineered sheer panel, we 
needed to shoot 10 penny nails ($75 a box) that my HF nailer couldn't 
hold.  His gun shot every nail perfect with consistent results.  Mine 
didn't.  While the HF  nailer didn't have any jams, head depth was very 
inconsistent.  There was also a noticeable difference in ergonomics.   
The Rigid nailer felt more comfortable, better balanced, and easier to 
use.  His gun also shot my cheap nails for blocking, though he did 
comment on their flexibility.

When I used my nailer for a balance beam for my gymnast daughter, the 
nailer worked fine.  I had a lamination of trimmed framing lumber that I 
glued and clamped then filled with nails so I could move on to the next 
piece, so all nails were straight in and not at an edge.  Only one bent 
enough to come out the side, so that went well.

This is definetly a case of you get what you pay for.  I spent about $70 
when I got mine after the sale price and a 20% off coupon.  I think he 
said his was $250.  Doing it over, I'd probable look a little higher if 
I was going to use it a bunch.

I also caution you to watch out for nailers that use clipped head nails 
instead of full head nails.  Some building departments don't allow 
clipped head nails.  Hopefully I have the wording right here. Instead of 
a full round head, part of the head is missing, I would assume to allow 
the nails to be closer together.

Brian

On 2/26/2013 12:30 PM, Jim Stone wrote:
> I would like to buy a framing nailer.  I dont want to spend a lot as this is
> not something I will use often, but after recently borrowing one I realize how
> and I am weighing my options.  Does anyone here have any recommendations?  I
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Dave C <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 19:54:52 -0800

I got a little twin tank compressor from Harbor Freight which seems to 
work ok.  For a nailer, I got a used Hitachi NR83A2 from a pawn shop; 
they had a bunch of them and I got the best looking one. That's the only 
nailer I ever seem to see the guys on framing crews use and they seem 
totally bulletproof.  It's also easy to get parts and nails for them.

On 2/26/2013 12:30 PM, Jim Stone wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 07:26:29 -0600

Thanks guys.  I have a bit of time, so I will keep my eyes open (and maybe
stop by a pawn shop or two) and try to find something better than HF and keep
that as a fallback if I run out of time.

> Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 19:54:52 -0800
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Inexpensive framing nailer/compressor
>
how
I
> > Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]