Subject: [Shop-talk] Sanding cylinders on drill press

From: "Lee Daniels" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 15:55:05 -0600

I have a "mini" Craftsman drill press that's useful for relatively small
projects. I've had it for several years and use it occasionally. It came with
several "cylinders" for sanding, but I have no idea what these are really good
for. I tossed them up on the shelf when I set up the press and they've been
there ever since. I came across them again to day when cleaning up. See a
photo here:
  http://www.automate-it.com/photos/0sanding.jpg
I assume there's a use for which they're ideally suited - what would that be?

thanks,
 Lee
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Paul Parkanzky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 17:05:39 -0500

I inherited boxes of those of all different lengths and diameters from my
father.  He used them any time he had to smooth the edges on small pieces
when he did woodworking.  For instance, to finish up wooden shelf brackets
or similar.

-Paul

[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 15:58:23 -0800

Lee - they are great for sanding curved edges that you cut with a jig, 
band, or scroll saw.  Take a piece of thick plywood or a 1x and cut a 
hole about 1/2" bigger than the sanding bit you are using and clamp it 
to the drill press table.  Raise the table so the edge of the bit is 
below the board with the hole and sand away.  Start at low speed, 
especially with the larger sanding bits.  Use the biggest bit that fits 
the curve for the smoothest results.

Brian
On 2/16/2013 1:55 PM, Lee Daniels wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 22:40:36 -0500

Or rotate the table way off to one side, so the drum can project a bit
below the table.

Doug

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Brian Kemp <[email-masked]> wrote:

>   Take a piece of thick plywood or a 1x and cut a hole about 1/2" bigger
> than the sanding bit you are using and clamp it to the drill press table.
>  Raise the table so the edge of the bit is below the board with the hole
> and sand away.

[email-masked]