Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Safety Wire Drill Guide

From: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 14:39:19 -0600

For me, carbide bits cure most drlll problems, cobalt is next best.  Tap
fluid or cutting fluid helps.  Is it a realy hard bolt?
Tony
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: PJ McGarvey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 12:30:23 -0500

Not sure if there's any secret here.  I've drilled a dozen 1/8" safety wire
holes in Grade 8 bolts before using a single cobalt bit in a drill press, and
without the tool you linked to - just some vice grips on the bolt head to hold
it straight.  Make sure the bit is sharp, and if it's not some work with a
grinder or diamond file to touch up the cutting edges works to keep it cutting
w/out overheating which is probably going to trash the whole bit or break it.
Go slow (probably slower than you think) and use oil (wd40 seems to work ok)
and take breaks to let the bit cool.
-PJ
> Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 14:39:19 -0600
> From: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Safety Wire Drill Guide
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 08:27:39 -0600

Based on the single review on Amazon it seems like even if you do get it to 
drill a hole it may be "useless".

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-Pliers-Guide-Block-Universal/dp/B005SUVTDY/ref=pd_sbs_indust_5

and from this video ... 26 seconds into the video ... the holes do look 
"interesting" ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X0sIbucjko

-----Original Message----- 
From: Jim Juhas
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:53 PM
To: Shop Talk List ; [email-masked]
Subject: [Shop-talk] Safety Wire Drill Guide

I have one of these:

http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=MT002

and I have been unable to successfully drill the proper hole into a bolt
head or nut using this.  I keep breaking the tip of the drill so I lose
the cutting edge of the drill before I can get it to make a hole.  Have
any of you been able to make this work?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]