Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Sticky brake

From: Rand E <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 15:10:22 -0800 (PST)

Replace the brake cable.  The cable gets water inside then it freezes  and won't 
let the brake disengage.  This seems to have been an issue  with all generations 
of MR2. 

Randy

________________________________
From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Mon, February 11, 2013 5:06:15 PM
Subject: [Shop-talk] Sticky brake

I have a 2003 Toyota spyder that has a driver's side rear brake that 
freezes close in cold weather.

The pads are fine and the cable isn't binding.  What can I do to fix it? 

Thanks.

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Battmain <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 17:36:51 -0800 (PST)

X2.  I recall this being an issue when I was active on the MR2 list. The list
is still running as far as I know. I believe the issue was the rubber boot
that let water in, and that water freezes when everything cools down.

List
info here:

http://www.mr2.com/mailman/listinfo/mr2_mr2.com

B
> From: Rand E <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]; [email-masked] 
>Sent: Monday, February 11,
2013 6:10 PM
>Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Sticky brake
> 
>Replace the brake
cable.  The cable gets water inside then it freezes  and won't 
>let the brake
disengage.  This seems to have been an issue  with all generations 
>(snip)

[email-masked]

---

From: David Hillman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 22:43:13 -0500 (EST)

> that let water in, and that water freezes when everything cools down.

    That List is very low traffic these days.  You'll have better luck on 
mr2oc.com.

    All eight MR2s that I've owned have had a frozen handbrake cable at 
some point... except, of course, my current ice racer which has been 
practically encased in ice, but never had that problem.

    But I thought Eric said the cable wasn't the problem on his Spyder?

--
  David Hillman

[email-masked]