Subject: [Shop-talk] True "keyless" entry add on

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 20:01:18 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 01/03/2013 20:00:19, Serialize complete at 01/03/2013 20:00:19

OK, I bought a new (to me) GMC Envoy XUV.  It's a very versatile truck and 
I'm really digging it. 

I've spent a few days adding my "touches" to it, but there is one thing 
that eludes me, and I was hoping if maybe a car guy here would have the 
answer.

My old Ford explorer had a true "keyless" entry system.  This means that 
it had a number pad on the door and you could unlock the door by putting 
the code in.

Does anyone know if an aftermarket system like this exists?  When I do my 
searches, I only come up with systems that use a remote transmitter to 
open the door.

Here is my thinking, it shouldn't be hard to make this add on.  If you 
have a key pad that has constant power, all it would need is a relay to 
the electric door lock wires.

OR, could I get a system out of a Ford in the junk yard and add it myself?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Todd Walke <[email-masked]> mail.megageek.com> localhost.drteeth.p.blarg.net
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 19:28:00 -0800

Found this.  Saw the system listed for around $170.  I assume 
you'd have to cut an opening in the door for the keypad.
         Other thing that would concern me is that in most newer vehicles 
many systems communicate electronically via CANBUS and any add-on would 
have to not upset the computers.  On my TDI, for example, the door lock 
unit has several micro switches that report on the state of the lock and 
handle position and transmit that info to the car.  This info is used to 
activate/set off the alarm, turn on interior lights, etc.  I'd want to be 
darn sure that this sort of item will work in your specific vehicle before 
shelling out the dough.

http://www.keyless.com/vehiclekeyless.htm

Pricing from here:
<http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS&Product_Code=AKE-5>

         This is clever, the "keypad" is behind the windshield so no 
cutting.  Don't know what company makes the system they install or if it 
can be done by a DIY'er.
http://www.enormis.net/products/product?id=56&category_id=6

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 275,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       382,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a new 
home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]