Subject: [Shop-talk] Ignition switch

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 18:59:06 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 01/08/2013 18:56:25, Serialize complete at 01/08/2013 18:56:25

OK, if you remember, I was asking how to disable the key "beeping" for a 
2004 GMC Envoy.

Well, I was installing a new radio, and started digging into the dash. 
Before I knew it, I had the entire steering column apart.  So, I got to 
thinking, there is a switch in the ignition to tell the computer when the 
key is in it.  If I cut that wire, it should fix that beep for good.

The only problem is, I can't figure out all the wires coming out of it.

Can anyone either point me to an exploded view of this key switch (or if 
you can send me a PDF if you have an electronic image of it.)

Or if you know which wire I need to cut, that would be great!

TIA for any assistance.

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Peter Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 19:47:19 -0500

That was a problem I solved in my 2005 Subaru Outback by finding the source
of the beep, drilling into the box that contained the sounder and applying
a bit of RTV to the open side of the sounder so it is much quieter.

-Peter

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 6:59 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 21:29:13 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 01/08/2013 21:29:27, Serialize complete at 01/08/2013 21:29:27

I thought about that, but this GMC uses the radio speakers for the chime. 
It also is every other chime (lights, door open, etc) which I still 
wanted.

Here is what I did.  I disconnected the battery and rang out all the wires 
on the key.  There were two wires by themselves that has no connectivity 
without the key and a closed circuit with the key in the switch.  BINGO. I 
cut one of the wires and all is well!

Eric P

Peter Murray <[email-masked]> 
Sent by: [email-masked]
01/08/2013 19:36

To
Shop-Talk List <[email-masked]>
cc

Subject
Re: [Shop-talk] Ignition switch

That was a problem I solved in my 2005 Subaru Outback by finding the 
source
of the beep, drilling into the box that contained the sounder and applying
a bit of RTV to the open side of the sounder so it is much quieter.

-Peter

> "

[email-masked]