Subject: [Shop-talk] Replacing a duct

From: Tim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 11:54:26 -0500 (EST)

Hi all.

We have a craftsman home, approx 110 years old. When HVAC was added at
some point, all they did was use the wall stud pockets (for lack of a
better term) as duct work. At one point an interior, non-load bearing
wall was taken down to make one big living room. The wall contained the
bductingb for what is now the upstairs bathroom. When the wall was
pulled down, they filled in the wall and ceiling gaps with planks of oak
in an attempt to match the rest of the wood work. (an epic eye sore
fail!!)

What I want to do is use the existing feed for this bathroom from the
basement and run 3b duct up the wall and across the ceiling where wall
used to be and into the existing vent in the bathroom, then patch with
either plaster or drywall (this latter most likely).

The one spot that might make this a no go is pictured in the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82293958@N06/8394587221/in/photostream

Part of the marked areas is the main support beam. However, the one
marked is a seam so I assume not part of the main support. But above
that is support beam. It does not look to me that I would have to remove
much of the support beam to make room for the aluminum duct and can even
flatten the duct to require less room. I could add layers of OSB or
plywood to reinforce the area I cut into if necessarybfor this
reinforcement process Ibd appreciate guidance as well.

Right now we have (obviously) no air to the upstairs bathroom so
anything I can get would be an improvement.

Love this list!
Thanks!!
tim
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Tim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 12:16:21 -0500 (EST)

Hey Tony. Yea, I understand what you are talking about. I did think of 
doing some sort of small bumpout (I forget the actual term) as a last 
resort. I could then install crown molding to hide it if i could get the 
wife to go for it.
thanks!

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Tony Vaccaro wrote:

> this wont go to the list as I am using an email address not associated 
> with the list.
>
> I would just have the duct go up along side the beam, building out the 
> wall. What difference does it make if you have a triangular area there 
> to accommodate the duct.  I would look like part of the wall and not 
> be noticed.
>
> Dont know if you get what I mean. but best that I can describe it.
>
>
>
> Anthony R Vaccaro
>
> American Micro Inc
>
> 716-689-9100 (Store)
>
> 716-861-1412 (Cell)
>
> ________________________________________
> From: [email-masked] 
> [[email-masked]] on behalf of Tim 
> [[email-masked]]
> Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2013 11:54 AM
> To: Shop Talk
> Subject: [Shop-talk] Replacing a duct
>
> Hi all.
>
> b?ductingb? for what is now the upstairs bathroom. When the wall was
> basement and run 3b? duct up the wall and across the ceiling where 
> wall
> plywood to reinforce the area I cut into if necessaryb?for this
> reinforcement process Ib?d appreciate guidance as well.
>

[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 09:42:33 -0800

Tim - I'd be hesitant to cut the board you marked as a seam or any 
structure at all.  Load standards today are not the same as when the 
house was built and lumber is not as strong.  I did a cantilever balcony 
replacement last summer and the structural engineer I had do the plans 
for me said the 2x8 joists from when my house was built in 1957 are 
twice as strong as a current 2x8.  I ended up having to use engineered 
joists to meet my space restrictions.  My point here is that I wouldn't 
mess with any structure without more of an analysis by someone that can 
actually examine your situation.

Have you considered bumping it down like an exposed beam?  You could 
make it from 1x trim to match the rest of the wood trim.

Another option is to use two 45 degree turns and then frame that 
exposure as a gusset or brace.  You could add another one on the other 
side of the room to match.

Good luck.

Brian

On 1/19/2013 8:54 AM, Tim wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 11:07:09 -0700

>> this wont go to the list as I am using an email address not 
>> associated with the list.

One can subscribe additional addresses to a list, and set the delivery 
option to no mail.
That way you only get messages sent to one account, but you can post 
from several.

mjb.

[email-masked]