Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] HVLP Paint Guns

From: "Eric J Russell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 16:59:16 -0500 a=wXb-r_mCx7gA:10 a=P2oOn6vrs4wA:10 a=8nJEP1OIZ-IA:10 a=S2wpYzp2RsyRkoRNwqcm1Q==:17 a=C_IRinGWAAAA:8 a=aQS4T1oIxkgLXa4IdgIA:9 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10 a=si9q_4b84H0A:10 a=S2wpYzp2RsyRkoRNwqcm1Q==:117 reip=0.000, cl=1, cld=1, fgs=0

Is there a technical school local to you? They often have adult/evening 
classes whereby you can get access to things like a spray booth and 
pro-quality equipment.

Even if you still want to do the painting in your backyard you might be able 
to try out some different models of equipment to see how they compare to 
your eL-Cheapo HF unit.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Bob Spidell" <[email-masked]>

> My question: Is it worth investing in a top quality gun and, if so, which 
> brand (DeVilbiss, Iwata, etc.).
> We're backyard painters, so we know we'll never get booth quality, but, is 
> a better gun worth an extra $300 or so? 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 18:25:53 -0500

I have painted (with single-stage AU) a couple of cars over the last 2-3
years, using the classic purple HF gun for primer and some topcoat, and a
DeVilbiss Finish Line gun for most topcoats.  My impression is that
technique is more important than the choice of gun (unless you are trying
to use a terrible gun).  One criteria for pros is the speed of painting.
For hobby use that is not so relevant.

In my experience, the most common error is not turning the paint flow up
high enough, or moving too fast for the paint flow you have set.  This will
guarantee orange-peel.  The second biggest issue is not using a consistent
pattern, which may give ou orange-peel or runs at edges or corners, where
you didn't use the right moves.  If all you painted were medium-size flat
rectangles, it would be easy to get even coverage...

Doug

>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Spidell" <[email-masked]>
>
>> We're backyard painters, so we know we'll never get booth quality, but,
>> is a better gun worth an extra $300 or so?

[email-masked]