Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Plasma cutting eye protection

From: steve hochschild <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 12:14:50 -0600

I use my Miller Elite auto-darkening helmet dialed back to about a 5, 
myself.  I also have a grade 5 face shield I use sometimes.  What grade 
are your goggles?  I bet they are two...

I use a soapstone marker, but more helpfully, I hung a very bright 
halogen (Harbor Freight) work light over the table where I am cutting.  
It helps a lot by eliminating some of the contrast and glare between the 
point source of the nozzle and the surface of the piece.

On 1/6/2013 11:47 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> OK, I've been using my autodarkening welding helmet for my plasma cutting
> since I got the cutter.  It works OK, but I can't see any lines that I
> make to great cuts.
>
> So I watched a video on line and the guy was only using sunglasses.  So I
> got a see of 100% UV protection sunglasses eye protection (not consumer
> glasses, but actual eye goggles.)  They were even in the welding section.
>
> Now when I use them for plasma cutting, I can see great.  The only
> problem, my eyes seem to feel like they are getting a little "snow
> blinded' when I'm done cutting.
>
> So my questions are...
>
> What should I be using for plasma cutting?
> Can I still use the glasses without any ill effects?
> Is there a better way to mark the pieces to be cut so I can see them with
> my welding helmet?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eric P
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
> being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph
> Waldo Emerson
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 15:29:44 -0500

> blinded' when I'm done cutting.

If you're noticing effects, or have that gritty / itchy eye thing, then 
you're DEFINITELY doing damage, and are very correct to be seeking 
better protection. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you. A 
friend & I did welding classes at the local community college a few 
years ago, and he went crazy with it, and now has a Miller Dynasty MIG / 
TIG box and plasma cutter in his garage now. You can get helmets and 
glasses / goggles with different darkness ratings. Our school supplies 
list spec'ed both with suggested numbers, but I don't recall what they 
were. I'd hit your local welding supply shop and see what they have or 
suggest.

The friend I mentioned is a rather large guy, and spent a few hours on a 
welding project -- with some belly hanging out from under his shirt. And 
ended up with a nasty sunburn "belt" around him from the UV exposure. 
You DON'T want that hitting your eyeballs!

-wc

[email-masked]

---

From: John Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 12:54:00 -0800

> point source of the nozzle and the surface of the piece.

Yep.  Two or three of 'em if possible.

For me having enough light on the work is the difference between a good 
weld or cut and a messy, wandering disaster.

John.

[email-masked]

---

From: David Hillman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 01:00:07 -0500 (EST)

> since I got the cutter.  It works OK, but I can't see any lines that I

    What is the "autodarkening helmet", specifically?  I think you need a 
higher quality one.  That doesn't necessarily need to be really expensive. 
I use a Speedglas 9002X and, while I rarely plasma cut by hand since I got 
my CNC table, I didn't have much trouble seeing when I did.  I also setup 
guides, straight-edges or whatnot, which make following lines a lot 
easier.

    The difference between what you can see with a high-quality hood, 
versus a cheap one is alarming.  I had a low-end Jackson-made
hood previously, and thought it was fine... until I got a Speedglas.
Now I can see the arc, and the details of the adjacent puddle, and work 
piece, while tigging for example.  Immediately made my welds better when I 
switched hoods.  I kicked myself for wasting time with the low-end one.

    With very rare exceptions, if your body hurts after doing something, 
that means stop doing it ;)

--
  David Hillman

[email-masked]