Subject: [Shop-talk] Paint Booth/Glove Box

From: Tom Shirley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 20:32:30 -0500

I've recently reentered the hobby of building model cars and with age comes
the desire for greater detail and a higher level of finish. With that in
mind I've been thinking about an idea to make a glove box serve as a spray
booth.

Back in the late 60s I worked at one of the nuclear weapons plants in Oak
Ridge, TN. Working in the lab, I spent my fair share of time working in a
glove box. If you're not familiar with it, it's a closed environment where
you can work on all sorts of nasty materials without contaminating the
surrounding area or yourself. Your arms fit into rubber gloves that are
attached and sealed. Here's something from Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glovebox

I'm thinking, why can't the same theory work for an enclosed spray booth.
I've drawn up some plans and instead of using the bulky gloves that come on
most cabinets, I would use a piece of tire inner tube, maybe off a big
truck or something. What I have in mind is cutting out something like a 10"
circle and attaching it to the cabinet with some sort of home made flange.
Lids off 1 gallon paint cans might work. The center of each 10" cut out
would have a small hole about the size of my forearm.

I've got a couple of questions. Should it be a down draft, up draft, side
draft or back draft booth? Also, I wonder how much flow I'll need to keep
the paint overspray from building up and obscuring vision? I typically
spray at low pressures like 15-20 psi.

Tom Shirley
www.sceniccitymiatas.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive