Subject: [Shop-talk] Smart Level advice needed

From: "Karl Vacek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:46:31 -0600

I'm going to buy a smart level - probably the M-D SmartTool.  I have the
need for rigging my plane, and of course I've wanted one for years.  I
considered the Stabila too, but didn't see any advantage other than twice
the warrantee at twice the price.  I believe M-D was the first one to
manufacture these, at least 20 years ago.

Once upon a time they were sold with an interchangeable module, so you could
buy the electronics once and move the module from a 2' level to a 4' level,
or just use the bare module.  For whatever reason, they aren't
interchangeable any more.  You now have to buy a bare module, or a 2' or 4'
level with the module permanently mounted.

I think I should buy the 2' one, which I see as more convenient and the
right size for most of what I do.  It will fit directly into many places
where a 4' level is just too long (door headers, window sills and tops,
etc.).  The length shouldn't diminish the accuracy any - the modules are all
the same.  I figure that if I really need a 4' smart level, I can hold the
2' one on my 4' bubble level, using the shorter one for its accuracy and the
longer one for its length.  But I hesitate - because if some is good (a 2'
level), then more is better (a 4' level)    ;-)

Seriously, do some of you guys who use this stuff every day have any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Karl

PS - in case anyone ever considers buying the much-less-expensive 24"
electronic level from Sears - don't.  It's just not repeatable.  I can
measure my granite countertops and get different readings in the same spot
moments apart.  Just lift one end and set it back down again, and it may
well read different by a couple of tenths of a degree or more.  The joy of a
low sale price was rapidly diminished by the POS nature of the product.

Assault is a behavior, not a device.

64,999,997 firearm owners killed no one yesterday.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 19:04:15 -0500

---- Karl Vacek <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> Just lift one end and set it back down again, and it may
> well read different by a couple of tenths of a degree or more.  

Sounds defective to me, my 3' bubble level is better than that. (0.2 degrees over 4 feet is more than 1/8")   Take it back.

Sorry, can't help with the smart level.  Around here, even if it is dead nuts today, there'll likely be an earthquake next week and it won't be any more.  I probably use the 8" torpedo level as much as the 3 footer, though.

Randall

[email-masked]

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 19:45:24 -0500

Randall

[email-masked]

---

From: Todd Walke <[email-masked]> localhost.pops.p.blarg.net
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 22:43:17 -0800

I bought my SmartTool level years ago with a camber gauge 
frame.  A couple of years ago I bought a 24" level for it - it was called 
an "extender rail".  Can't remember where I got it.

These guys show the 48" version.  On page 4 they show a combo pack - 
module, 24" and 48" rails:
<http://www.lascolaser.com/show_products.php?cat=Tools%20and%20Accessories&sub_cat=Smart%20Level&sort=&page=1>

Search on this site for "smarttool rail", they show both lengths:
http://www.aircraft-tool.com

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 276,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       384,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a new 
home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]