Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] At the risk of bringing up something shop-related...

From: Dave C <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 22:11:22 -0800

Nice work; now we need to see the Shopbot in action.  I've been thinking 
about getting one for several years.

The Logan should be a nice lathe; I had a 9" model that I used for a 
number of years before I sold it for a 12" Grizzly.  Did you get the QC 
with it too?

On 1/29/2013 9:35 PM, John Miller wrote:
> ...having access to a Shopbot CNC router can be dangerous to one's 
> sanity.
>
> First the (7yo) daughter suggests that, well, she'd like to do 
> sleepovers but that really means she needs more room and a bunk bed 
> might be a good idea.  Mommy agrees so Daddy's sent off to make sawdust:
>
> http://www.milleredp.com/~jem/image/misc/bunkbed.jpg
>
> Along the way, Daddy concludes that since he's already fallen off the 
> deep end building a five-drawer chest he may as well do some cabinets 
> to fill the grubbily underutilized space under his workbench:
>
> http://www.milleredp.com/~jem/image/misc/shopcabs.jpg
>
> And, the old saying goes that things happen in threes, at least over 
> the last week free stuff happened that way, first was a Systech 
> network serial-port server from a friend cleaning out his shelves, 
> then came the '86 Celica (turns out to need a fuel pump, so not truly 
> free...) and today I picked up a clean but quite old 10x36 Logan lathe 
> from a fellow local Lion who, after a couple hours of chat about his 
> past career, turned out to have been (as nearly as I can peg it) my 
> older (now-deceased) brother's junior high school metal shop teacher 
> nearly fifty years ago.
>
> John.
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Shannah Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 22:19:12 -0800

I love the bunk bed: that looks really nice!

I can think of several projects I'd love to do
on one of those.

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 9:35 PM, John Miller <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ...having access to a Shopbot CNC router can be dangerous to one's sanity.
>
> First the (7yo) daughter suggests that, well, she'd like to do sleepovers
> but that really means she needs more room and a bunk bed might be a good
> idea.  Mommy agrees so Daddy's sent off to make sawdust:
>
> http://www.milleredp.com/~jem/**image/misc/bunkbed.jpg<http://www.milleredp.com/~jem/image/misc/bunkbed.jpg>
>
> Along the way, Daddy concludes that since he's already fallen off the deep
> end building a five-drawer chest he may as well do some cabinets to fill
> the grubbily underutilized space under his workbench:
>
> http://www.milleredp.com/~jem/**image/misc/shopcabs.jpg<http://www.milleredp.com/~jem/image/misc/shopcabs.jpg>
>
> And, the old saying goes that things happen in threes, at least over the
> last week free stuff happened that way, first was a Systech network
> serial-port server from a friend cleaning out his shelves, then came the
> '86 Celica (turns out to need a fuel pump, so not truly free...) and today
> I picked up a clean but quite old 10x36 Logan lathe from a fellow local
> Lion who, after a couple hours of chat about his past career, turned out to
> have been (as nearly as I can peg it) my older (now-deceased) brother's
> junior high school metal shop teacher nearly fifty years ago.
>
> John.
> ______________________________**_________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**options/shop-talk/**
> [email-masked]<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]>

[email-masked]

---

From: nick brearley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 08:30:20 +0000

Dave C wrote:
> Nice work; now we need to see the Shopbot in action.  I've been 
> thinking about getting one for several years.
>
> number of years before I sold it for a 12" Grizzly.  Did you get the 
> QC with it too?

I could learn to live with a setup like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMvy1WIiqMI

Particularly like the joint welding at 0:17.

Nick Brearley

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark Andy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:06:01 -0500

Howdy,

Wow!  Great message.  Impressed with the bunkbed in particular.  that
looks really well done.

And you've got some kickass friends there... My free deals aren't
anywhere near as good.  :-)

Mark

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 12:35 AM, John Miller <[email-masked]> wrote:
> end building a five-drawer chest he may as well do some cabinets to fill the
> grubbily underutilized space under his workbench:
>
> serial-port server from a friend cleaning out his shelves, then came the '86
> Celica (turns out to need a fuel pump, so not truly free...) and today I
> picked up a clean but quite old 10x36 Logan lathe from a fellow local Lion
> who, after a couple hours of chat about his past career, turned out to have
> been (as nearly as I can peg it) my older (now-deceased) brother's junior
> high school metal shop teacher nearly fifty years ago.
>
> John.
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: John Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:11:27 -0800

> I can think of several projects I'd love to do

This was the first time I'd ever done anything like that, it's mostly 
3/4in plywood routed out on the Shopbot at Techshop in Menlo Park, glued 
and screwed together.

As with any such first-project, I made some mistakes in all of this, the 
drawers came out just a little too wide and I had to break out the 
router and notch the bottoms of the sides for track clearance.  I got 
some of the mounting holes in the bed frames in the wrong places, so if 
you look around the edges of the mattress from underneath you see a 
couple unused holes.  And the finish could have come out a little 
smoother, really what it probably needed was going over the last coat 
with 2000-grit which I didn't do.

Daughter got the full-extension Blum tracks ($24 a set) but Daddy's shop 
cabinets had to make do with the simpler 3/4-extension Blum side-mounts 
($5 a set).

I decided the upper side rail wasn't quite tall enough (industry 
standards say minimum 5in above the mattress and that's what I've got 
but it just doesn't feel like enough to me) and it needs another 
hand-hold for the ladder, so I made another upper rail to fit inside the 
existing one that'll extend the rail up another 2.5in and add a handle 
at the ladder end.  And the steps in the plywood are just fine for the 
7yo gymnast but Mommy and Daddy's feet are too tender so I've cut a set 
of smile-shaped pieces to add to the ladder to widen the steps.  This is 
all sitting in the garage waiting for me to sand and finish it.

If anyone wants the drawings I'll put the DXFs up, but you assume all 
risks for doing anything with using them...

Once you figure out how to lay out rabbets and dadoes with the right 
depths for the material you're using then the whole world becomes a 
cabinet box, in addition to the shop cabinets (it's really nice to stick 
a 1/16in drill bit in the Shopbot and have it run around and punch all 
18-24 drawer-track mounting holes in EXACTLY the right places) a 7'6" 
practice balance beam for the daughter ends up being a very long, 
narrow, shallow cabinet box wrapped in EPDM foam from McMaster-Carr and 
a ten-year-old marine vinyl leftover dragged out of the attic.

Then there's the 8-cell storage cubby for daughter's homework which 
doesn't come out any cheaper to do yourself than buying something from 
Ikea but at least you can size it to fit exactly where you want it.

Was moving my rearend collection (the assembled ones consisting of a 
Toyota T-code 6.7, a Mustang II Ford 8in and a '64 Galaxie Ford 9in, 
plus a 9in Versailles housing) around to be able to get the trailer out 
to drag home the lathe and the Eureka! bulb went on, so I now have a 
cutfile for a side piece for an axle-storage rack, one sheet of 3/4in 
BCX, two 8ft studs, and some paint and they'll be up and out of the way.

John.

[email-masked]