Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] converting a propane heater to nat gas

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 23:36:56 -0500

On 12/17/2012 9:00 PM, John Niolon wrote:
> I have a Comfort Glow 26k btu wall mount radiant heater ( that has legs and is
> .. Checking with the mfg, they say NO CONVERSION  on this heater.  Not one to be

Really?! I thought that was a DESA brand, and they went belly up a few 
years ago. Pretty sure they made the gas (LP) logs in my place. Maybe 
someone bought out the brand names -- oh well, not important.

There is usually some kinda brass orifice that meters the gas flow that 
can be swapped out. LP runs like 2 or 3 PSI, and natural gas about 0.25 
or 0.5, IIRC. (May be WAY off there, but the pressures are a bunch 
different.) I'd google the part or model number and see if you can find 
anyone selling parts for it. Sears.com and AppliancePartPros.com are my 
first go-to sites for parts. There's a good chance the manufacturer 
originally sold conversion parts for it, and you can still buy them. May 
even be some carry over or interchangeability between brands.

Don't know of any other way to reliably convert. Unless you had some 
good specs and a way to precisely machine new orifice(s) for it (not 
totally unthinkable for this crowd.)

> Anybody see how this can blow up in my face ???

Uuhhmm... yeah. Pretty readily and literally!

-w
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Jim Marton Jr <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 23:53:31 -0500 ZX853FP2HF2|October 8, 2012) at 12/17/2012 21:53:51

I've converted a Big Easy oil less fryer and a patio heater from LP to
natural gas.  Not that hard.  Other than connecting to just gas line, all
you have to do is figure out what size to drill out the orifice.  You will
need a set of number drills.

Jim

From:	Wayne <[email-masked]>
To:	[email-masked], [email-masked],
Date:	12/17/2012 11:38 PM
Subject:	Re: [Shop-talk] converting a propane heater to nat gas
Sent by:	[email-masked]

-w

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of graycol.gif]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Scott <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 00:40:46 -0500

A long time ago a neighbor converted the permanently-installed grill on 
his porch from LP to N.G. Himself. The house didn't go boom so I assume 
he did it okay. Everything I've ever heard is that it's just a jet 
swap--our grill came with two screw-in 'regulators' (jets, I 
assume)--depending on which fuel you used, you put in the appropriate 
one. But having said that...

> Anybody see how this can blow up in my face ???

That's probably the idea I'd be afraid of. This'd be one of those things 
I'd be dead-nuts certain about before I did it. I'm sure if you couldn't 
buy the part you could have one machined up...but the consequences if it 
was wrong plus the cost and hassle of having that part machined...  I'd 
probably just shop for a new heater.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 03:28:53 -0600

Can it be done ... I assume so ...

http://www.joppaglass.com/burner/lowp_chrt.html

http://www.masterdist.net/glowarm/infraredheaters/index.html

As other have suggested "should it be done" is the real question.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/gas-kitchen-appliances-dryers-bbqs/408085-drilling-orifice-convert-propane-gas-natural-gas.html

http://www.carlsgrilltalk.com/contents/index.php?view=article&catid=4&id=2%3Alp-to-natural-gas-conversion&format=pdf&option=com_content&Itemid=16

-----Original Message----- 
From: John Niolon
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2012 8:00 PM
To: shop-talk
Subject: [Shop-talk] converting a propane heater to nat gas

I have a Comfort Glow 26k btu wall mount radiant heater ( that has legs and 
is
now free standing)  that I use at Christmas to warm my deck during 
gatherings.
The deck is screened and wrapped in poly and with the heater it will stay
around 65-70 inside at 35-40 outside... good enough for the smokers and the
folks that are tired of the crowd.

Every year I drag it to the deck with a couple tanks of propane  and every
year I drag it back in storage... 40 bucks lighter for the propane.  As I 
set
up this year I finally realized that I had an unlimited supply of nat gas 10
feet away at the gas grill...  I'm about to become a convert !

Checking with the mfg, they say NO CONVERSION  on this heater.  Not one to 
be
dissuaded by technical knowledge, common sense and other hokum, I'm on a 
quest
to convert...

Anyone got any ideas ???  I haven't taken it apart yet... it has five blocks
that are lit as the control knob is turned up (low, med, high... 1 block,3
block, 5 block respectively)  I would think a orifice change (if it's
removable) and maybe a gas valve (if it has one).   Anybody see how this can
blow up in my face ???

I'm open to all conversations... I'm not the best gas guru, but I can make a
leak free joint !

thanks
John

What every man worth his salt should know how to do.....

Sweep a woman off her feet, ...motivate a peer
Make a wish come true - for someone else,
keep a promise... change a tire... calm a fear
make a child giggle...tell a ghost story
write a love letter, ask for directions
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]