Subject: [Shop-talk] Question on car rental

From: Nick Brearley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2012 14:31:40 +0000

Sorry for the OT but I'd be very grateful for any input on this one.

Been planning a West Coast trip next February. Looking for car rental 
rates National kept on coming up significantly cheaper (~40%), even 
after allowing for unlimited mileage, one way dropoff and various 
insurance gotchas. If anyone has any experience or advice about dealing 
with National I'd be very interested to hear it. Looking at consumer 
websites gives the usual spread from perfect to terrible.

Tenuous Shoptalk link, the car will probably be used for transporting 
sundry bits which will be used in my shop back across the pond.

Thanks

Nick Brearley
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 16:39:56 -0500

If you are picking up the car at an airport, and you are able to sign
up for the company's "elite" membership (for example Avis Preferred or
National Emerald Club), definitely do it (I believe it is free).  Then
you can go directly to your car instead of having to wait in line at a
counter to fill out a bunch of paperwork.  And these days, a lot the
rental companies let their elite customers select any available car in
the correct price class: just walk down the line of parked cars, and
choose the one that catches your fancy.

The major companies tend to be quick and easy, especially at airports.
 It's the low-budget operations that tend to be a pain, especially
about minor damage.  I rent 4-5 times a year from Hertz or Avis, and I
can't ever remember having a problem with damage, etc.

BTW: before starting on a long trip in the car, double check that your
contract says you have unlimited mileage.  Once I got a car in SF to
drive to and return in LA, and the contract said something like 25
cents per mile.  I all I had to do was call them and they immediately
changed the rate plan.

Doug

[email-masked]

---

From: Nick Brearley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2012 23:38:50 +0000

On 02/12/2012 21:39, Doug Braun wrote:
> National Emerald Club), definitely do it (I believe it is free).

Thanks for the Emerald Club pointer Doug. I'll keep an eye open for that.

And thanks to all who replied so promptly. If any of you look to make 
the trip over this side I hope I can be equally helpful.

FWIW we'll go with National but make sure the camera is on hand to 
record anything that could be contentious in the future.

Nick Brearley

[email-masked]