Subject: [Shop-talk] Covering sand textured ceiling?

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 21:17:50 -0500

My whole house has a sand texture ceiling- not a sprayed on coating like
popcorn, but 1/4" - 3/8" thick plaster type stuff with very coarse grit sand
on the surface. Impossible to scrape off. Also impossible to match when you
patch a hole of which I have many. So i need to cover it. Laying drywall over
it is easiest but I'd need to do a lot, plus the light holes. So I'm looking
into covering it.

Tried tonight with watered down mud and it should go in 2-3 coats. but I also
thought using actual plaster might work, and in one coat. Will plaster adhere
to this stuff? Doesn't seem to be painted and I only need 1/4" max. Or should
I just use more drywall mud? I'm decent with the technique so it won't take
forever, but I only want to do it once.

thanks,
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Tim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 09:35:29 -0500 (EST)

I have basically the same situation here on all the walls and ceilings.
In one room I had to remove a bunch of B=bx 6b tongue and groove (cabin
type) pine boards that were on two walls in one room. I used dry wall
mud to cover all the walls (and the holes that were caused when pulling
out the dozens and dozens of 4" finishing nails used to hold these
boards.)

Long story short, the dry wall mud worked but was very time consuming, I
did four walls approx. 18-20b long and it took probably half a five
gallon bucket. Then there is sanding and painting.

All other replies to the list please folks. Thanks! tim

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 8:17 PM, Jim Franklin wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]