Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Firewood handling system

From: Paul Parkanzky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 12:00:04 -0500

Very nice.

My father in law used to sell a lot of firewood and we built racks out of
recycled hardwood packing material that the construction company would get
with steel deliveries.  We made them hold a half cord and would put roofs
on them to protect the wood from the elements a bit.  At first, we used
some canvas that we were repurposing, but that didn't hold up for more than
a couple of seasons so we switched to corrugated steel roofing (also
reclaimed).  At the height of things he probably had 30-40 half-cord racks.

You're right, it makes handling wood much easier.  We'd put an empty rack
at the out-feed of the splitter, fill it up and use the uniloader or
tractor to move it to a clearing out in the woods.  When the wood was
seasoned, we could move it into isles in a clearing at the front of the
property so that customers could drive their truck down the isle, pick a
rack and load up.

He doesn't sell much wood at all anymore and now he just cuts/splits six or
eight cord a season to keep up with heating the house, shop and his
daughter's house on the property.  We still split right onto the racks, and
when he's ready to use it he can move it right to the Woodmaster.  I can't
imagine just stacking split firewood out in the woods somewhere and having
to haul it in to use it a little at a time.

-Paul

On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 11:18 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Merry Christmas to all my friends here on this list.
>
> A while ago I came up with an idea for handling firewood that I wanted to
> share with you guys.  I wrote it up as an Instructable.
>
> I just entered it into a Redneck contest, so be sure to log in and vote
> for me!  Also, I'd love to hear your comments or upgrades!
>
> Here is the link...
>
> >
> http://www.instructables.com/id/The-ULTIMATE-REDNECK-FIREWOOD-EASY-HANDLING-SYSTEM/
> <
>
> Here is a tinyurl link to it...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/bqdl47h
>
> Enjoy!
>
>
> Eric P
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
> being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph
> Waldo Emerson
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Dave C <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 14:30:51 -0800

That's a great idea, but if I had access to that many pallets, I would 
probably burn them.

I just use the tractor bucket.

[email-masked]