Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Covering sand textured ceiling?

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 11:11:40 -0500

I grew up in a 1917 vintage house with plaster over wood lath. Have lots 
of experience patching plaster cracks, and I've spread a little drywall 
mud over the years. It's been years ago (1980s) but I think it's still 
relevant to current materials: plaster cures (crystallizes) and expands, 
like cement; mud dries and shrinks. Mud is NOT good in large layers or 
cracks.

We had a kitchen ceiling cave in from a water leak above. Dad's initial 
thought was rip it all out and drywall the ceiling. But we were still 
able to find a guy that was an expert plasterer. He laid a couple coats 
on it, didn't have to do much if any sanding, and it was ready to prime 
& paint. I don't remember exact details (been 25 or so years ago) buy I 
think he used something like tile backer-board or metal lath to replace 
the water damaged stuff, and laid a skim coat over the whole thing.

If you can still find a plasterer, I'd try them. Heard there's been some 
resurgence in the trade. Some high end houses go for a full skim coat of 
plaster over drywall, instead of just mud joints that dang near always show.

-w

On 12/21/2012 9:35 AM, Tim wrote:
>> My whole house has a sand texture ceiling- not a sprayed on coating
>> like
>> popcorn, but 1/4" - 3/8" thick plaster type stuff with very coarse
>> grit sand
>> on the surface. Impossible to scrape off. Also impossible to match
>> when you
>> patch a hole of which I have many. So i need to cover it. Laying
>> drywall over
>> it is easiest but I'd need to do a lot, plus the light holes. So I'm
>> looking
>> into covering it.
>>
>> Tried tonight with watered down mud and it should go in 2-3 coats. but
>> I also
>> thought using actual plaster might work, and in one coat. Will plaster
>> adhere
>> to this stuff? Doesn't seem to be painted and I only need 1/4" max. Or
>> should
>> I just use more drywall mud? I'm decent with the technique so it won't
>> take
>> forever, but I only want to do it once.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 12:43:04 -0600

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Wayne <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I grew up in a 1917 vintage house with plaster over wood lath. Have lots of
> experience patching plaster cracks, and I've spread a little drywall mud
> over the years. It's been years ago (1980s) but I think it's still relevant
> to current materials: plaster cures (crystallizes) and expands, like cement;
> mud dries and shrinks. Mud is NOT good in large layers or cracks.
>
> thought was rip it all out and drywall the ceiling. But we were still able
> to find a guy that was an expert plasterer. He laid a couple coats on it,
> didn't have to do much if any sanding, and it was ready to prime & paint. I
> don't remember exact details (been 25 or so years ago) buy I think he used
> something like tile backer-board or metal lath to replace the water damaged
> stuff, and laid a skim coat over the whole thing.
>

There are sheet goods (like drywall, but with a different coat, and
maybe a different core) available for plastering, they're called 'blue
board' (which is no doubts someone's trademark).  They hang like
drywall, and then get a skim goat of plaster.  Metal lath still gets
used, but I think just for repair work, anyone doing a big area uses
the board stuff.

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

-- 
David Scheidt
[email-masked]

[email-masked]