Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Another wandering off-topic.....GPS

From: Paul Parkanzky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 14:10:13 -0500

Our Nuvi (I'm not sure which model) has a traffic receiver and can be set to
avoid traffic.  Invaluable if you travel in places plagued by gridlock.

-Paul

On Dec 12, 2012, at 1:02 PM, "Gerald Brazil" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> I have a Garmin Nuvi 255w and it does one annoying thing that I haven't
> figured out how to beat. I hope the crowd intelligence of this group can
> help. Let me give you a recent example...
>
>
> We were traveling northbound on I 65 headed toward Nashville, TN. Our
> destination for the evening was White House, TN, about 15 miles north of
> Nashville. I had my settings set to "fastest time". As we got near
Nashville
> toward the end of evening rush the "Lady-in-the Box" routed me through a
> very busy downtown Nashville with 2 or 3 expressway changes. It would have
> been a lot easier on my nerves to just stay on I 65 and skirt around
> Nashville and wind up where I wanted. I think if I had been set on
"shortest
> distance" I would have probably got the same result but I am not sure. Is
> there any other way to avoid downtown congestion?
>
> Is the only solution."buy a more expensive GPS?"
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: John Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 11:15:02 -0800

> avoid traffic.  Invaluable if you travel in places plagued by gridlock.

GPS signals alone will not help you with traffic congestion.

Google Maps on my HTC (Android) has 'layers' that will permit you to add 
traffic color-coding, gas-station locations, etc. to the map display. 
It's proven fairly accurate in my experience.

This of course relies on a data connection, not just GPS satellites.

John.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Karl Vacek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 13:44:08 -0600

Google traffic is vastly more useful than the alleged traffic that I get in
my Garmin Nuvi 3590.  The traffic reports in the Nuvi are (in my
observation, in Chicago) at most 25% accurate when they warn of traffic.
Accuracy is far less than that when considering actual  traffic jams that it
does not report.

Google traffic, OTOH, seems to be at least 75% accurate both ways - there is
usually traffic when it reports it, and it usually reports actual traffic I
find.  Speed of reporting seems good too - I've found new traffic jams on
roads previously clear, and watched to see when the jam appears on the
traffic map.  Maybe 5-10 minutes the couple of times I've seen that happen.

Also - with lots of touchscreen pushing you can view the traffic along your
route on the Garmin, but then you need to return to your map to use it.
Google traffic on my Android phone is there all the time if I want it - just
turn the traffic layer on.  Can't do that on the Garmin.  I wish Garmin
would just buy Google's traffic.

I really wonder how Garmin got to be the "standard" for GPS units.  Based on
my use of my new 3590 LMT (their top automotive unit) and an older C60
hiking unit I received as a gift and used in the car occasionally for a few
years, Garmin is a disappointment.  Clumsy to use, poor manuals, and just
not reliable.  If I ever decide to buy a dedicated aircraft GPS, I'll buy
any other brand than a Garmin.

Karl

[email-masked]

---

From: Scott <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 16:34:43 -0500

I can't help with the Nuvi--I have one, but I used it for a few days 
before I decided Google Maps on my phone was infinitely better.

Like John says, there's a 'traffic' layer. I resolutely ignored it for 
at least a year, not trusting it, until it tried to route me off an 
interstate once and I ignored it (stupid computer). I spent four hours 
at a dead stop on the interstate while a co-worker who followed its 
instructions (he didn't know there was an interstate there...really) had 
almost no delay. I follow its advice on routing now, or at least check 
the traffic 'layer'.

Other than that, I do like Phil said and just use it as a map. I do that 
for the very same reason mentioned in the original post--I was trying to 
go through Nashville once and it took me through the city on the 
interstate when I wanted to go around. I couldn't ever figure out how to 
make it do that, and I didn't see an 'avoid cities' option, so I just 
use Google Maps on my phone like I'd have used a paper map years ago. 
Except with traffic congestion noted. Nashville and...I'm trying to 
remember the other city--Richmond, maybe?--are particularly awful for 
that. I want to just go around them, Google wants me to drive through them.

On 12/12/2012 2:15 PM, John Miller wrote:
> Google Maps on my HTC (Android) has 'layers' that will permit you to 
> add traffic color-coding, gas-station locations, etc. to the map 
> display. It's proven fairly accurate in my experience.
>

[email-masked]

---

From: Battmain <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 14:59:53 -0800 (PST)

----- Original Message -----

> From: Karl Vacek <[email-masked]>
> To:
[email-masked]
> Cc: 
> Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:44 PM
>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Another wandering off-topic.....GPS
(snip)
 If I
ever decide to buy a dedicated aircraft GPS, I'll buy
> any other brand than a
Garmin.
(snip)
In terms of aircraft GPS, the competition is pretty good
right now. Based on my experience, the Aviation Garmin units are more
intuitive than the other manufacturers in doing everything. Flight Plans,
moving maps, deviations, etc. I've been impressed with some of the stuff
coming out though. Each manufacturer trying to one up the other. 

I've never
warmed up to any of the car units, because of the lack of detail when zoomed
out. I went from a computer based mapping with GPS to my phone and have pretty
much used that since. The maps and traffic are more accurate in my experience
since the Google maps are in the 'cloud' as opposed to being loaded in a local
file. I may move to an Android phone next year to replace my 5 year old
smartphone, but haven't decided yet. Waiting on the Samsung S4 to be released.
A new phone is a want not a need. :)

B

[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 16:08:24 -0800

Gerald - Lots of us share your annoyance with Garmin.  I have a Nuvi 
(265 I think).   I always try and look at a map first.  I also use 
fastest time setting, but for me, it thinks Pacific Coast Highway 
through Long Beach, CA with traffic lights and congestion is faster than 
driving a little bit further on the freeway at 75mph (non-peak traffic).

I think the issue is that it ignores red light stoppage time and assumes 
you will travel the speed limit unless there is a traffic delay.

I've also noticed that Garmin traffic tends to lag behind reality. When 
I'm going home at the tail end of traffic, I tend to ignore Garmin's 
warnings about congestion ahead, but pay more attention when traffic 
starts to back up.

Before leaving work, I normally check traffic on Google Maps as Los 
Angeles traffic is a mess, but I have yet to move to a smart phone, so 
Ms. Nuvi still keeps me company.

If I could make another reprogramming suggestion to the GPS 
manufactures, I'd also have then say "you missed the turn.  Make a 
U-turn now."  Instead, it tries to route me on a collection of streets 
to drive around the block.

Brian

On 12/12/2012 10:02 AM, Gerald Brazil wrote:
> Nashville. I had my settings set to "fastest time". As we got near Nashville
> Nashville and wind up where I wanted. I think if I had been set on "shortest
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Scott <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 19:14:41 -0500

Maybe a dozen years ago, I had a GPS unit do just that--it got stuck in 
a 'loop' when I missed an interstate exit. It had me exit at the next 
ramp, get back on the interstate going the opposite direction, then off 
at the next exit and head back in the original direction. It is a 
testament to my intelligence that I only followed its directions for two 
loops before I decided to ignore it (on the third loop). I read after 
that that early GPS systems were prone to that sort of thing.

[email-masked]

---

From: Jimmie Mayfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 21:22:07 -0500

> there any other way to avoid downtown congestion?

My nuvi 1490 will do the same thing when set to "fastest time".  

Example: As I approach my destination in Lexington KY from I-75S, the nuvi will 
tell me to exit the interstate early and take 6-7 miles of curvy 2-lane country 
roads featuring stop signs, a blind curve and the occasional horse trailer.  
Garmin's route easily adds 15 minutes onto the trip versus simply staying on 
the interstate at 70mph for another 4 exits (maybe 10 miles).  And that's 
assuming the weather is good.  

Granted, Garmin's route is prettier but I didn't tell Garmin to choose 
the prettiest route...
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Nogueira <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 22:04:20 -0600

I've solved the issue of routing through the middle of town two ways,  I'll
set a waypoint on the loop, or I'll simply remember to take the loop and let
the old girl b*t*h at me until I have shown her who is boss and she changes
the route to how I want to go.

Bob
( note: the "she" is  the Garmin voice NOT my wife.) Whee saved that one in
the nick of time! )

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 12, 2012, at 1:44 PM, "Karl Vacek" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]