Subject: [Shop-talk] Helicoil in aluminum

From: Bob Nogueira <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 18:32:34 -0600

I'm about to install a helicoil in an aluminum block.   The tap calls for
drilling a 21/64" hole.  Since it is aluminum should I drill the hole just a
tad smaller?  If so how much?

Thanks Bob Nogueira

(" Mr Gaskell, how much is a tad?".  --  " more than a smidgen and less than a
bit")
     ----The Patio Garage.  1963
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 19:57:43 -0800

> drilling a 21/64" hole.  Since it is aluminum should I drill 
> the hole just a tad smaller?  If so how much?

I don't think it matters much.  The tap seems to ream the hole out if it is
undersize.  I've even been known not to drill, if the hole is completely
skinned out (and the base metal is soft).

-- Randall 

[email-masked]