Subject: [Shop-talk] Oil, again

From: Dave C <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 22:21:39 -0700

My wife and I are considering our third Subaru Forester.  We have a 2000 
with 147K miles which is my daily commuter, and my wife has a 2008.  We 
are considering getting a '13 model to replace my 2000. In talking with 
my inde Subaru mechanic (Subaru only, all former dealer mechanics) I 
found the new engine is a DOHC, chain driven cam, shim under bucket 
engine.  So far, no big deal.  I have been riding motorcycle engines 
with that technology for years, although if the valves ever do need an 
adjustment it's going to be ugly. However, apparently Subaru specs 0W-20 
full synthetic oil for the engine.  I was in the local chain auto parts 
store today picking up a couple of H4s and four five liter jugs of 
generic 10w30 that I use in just about everything and I saw that the 
ONLY 0w20 oil was Mobil 1 green cap, and it's REALLY spendy.

We really like our Subarus.  We live in rural Washington and live down 
about 2 miles of steep,  semi-paved former logging road that gets snow 
in the winter some years, and the Subarus are all that keep us mobile.  
Do ya'll think this is anything to worry about? 0w20 just doesn't sound 
right...
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive