Subject: [Shop-talk] engine code web site

From: Tim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 14:06:20 -0500 (EST)

HI all.

My 96 S10 (2WD 4.3V6) has the SES light on. I borrowed my friend's code 
reader and got P0000. What do you all use for a web site that deciphers 
these codes?

I have done some searching but not found a really good web site I like 
nor have I found one that shows this particular code.

Thanks!
tim
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 12:54:04 -0700

P0000 ?  Are you sure?  My S10 manual doesn't have any code like that 
listed.

mjb.

[email-masked]

---

From: Tim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 18:54:56 -0500 (EST)

"SES" is Service Engine Soon to answer one question.

Based on the replies, I guess it is time to get my own reader.

Thanks all.
tim

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Tim wrote:

> HI all.
>
> My 96 S10 (2WD 4.3V6) has the SES light on. I borrowed my friend's 
> code reader and got P0000. What do you all use for a web site that 
> deciphers these codes?
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 00:18:23 GMT

I found a useful .pdf that has all the GM codes at:
http://www.edgeproducts.com/product_images/customer_support_article-pdf-40.pd
f

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Tim <[email-masked]>
To: Shop Talk <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Shop-talk] engine code web site
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 14:06:20 -0500 (EST)

HI all.

Thanks!
tim

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 19:59:17 -0500

On 11/5/2012 7:18 PM, Matt wrote:
> http://www.edgeproducts.com/product_images/customer_support_article-pdf-40.pdf

Nice reference! Thanks, Matt.

If you look at the coding structure explained there, any of the codes 
with a zero in the 2nd position (thousands digit) are standard across 
all manufacturers and cars, so it's not just a GM reference. Not every 
car is able to monitor every one of those, but a given code means the 
same thing on any car it pops up on. OBD-II also standardized the 
nomenclature for all the parts & controls. Seemed kinda draconian when 
it came out nearly 20 years ago, but in retrospect, it's a good idea and 
actually makes it easier for DIYers and small time shops to work on 
modern vehicles (vs having to have a manufacturer specific reader for 
each one.)

-Wayne

[email-masked]

---

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 20:00:30 -0500

I googled "obd code p0000" and got 7 million hits. Appears to indicate 
"no problems, no codes stored."

I bought this little $20 scanner and it does all the basic stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan-MS300-Diagnostic-Vehicles/dp/B001LHVOVK

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0KZ-0002-00002

Used it on Mom's 2003 BMW 5' and a friend's 2007 Nissan Sentra. It will 
read out the standardized "basic" set of mandated codes, clear the 
codes, and reset the MIL. It was able the reset the BMW's "service soon" 
light (tune up indicator) but wouldn't reset the "change oil" light. 
Also does not do the fancy stuff like auto-trans, ABS, air-bags etc; you 
gotta spend a bunch more to get all that!

-Wayne

[email-masked]

---

From: Tim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 07:33:43 -0500 (EST)

bI found a useful .pdf that has all the GM codes atb&b
This is great, thanks!

bWhat part of the world are you located in?b
Near Madison, WI. Why?

bI bought this little $20 scannerb&b
Can I assume it will read GM codes?

bYou gotta spend a bunch more to get all that!b
Am hoping to not have to spend too much but will in order to get one
that will do what I need it too.

Thanks all!
tim

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Tim wrote:

>> I have done some searching but not found a really good web site I
>> like nor have I found one that shows this particular code.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> tim

[email-masked]