Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Massachusetts "Right to Repair" Ballot Initiative

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 07:42:57 -0800

> I just noticed this, which apparently passed overwhelmingly:

It's interesting, but I can't see that it changes anything, much.  They are
allowed to charge "fair market value" for the information, which could
easily be a lot more than I'd be willing to pay (eg $50,000 per year is
pretty reasonable if you are selling 100 cars a month); and information
pertaining to alarm systems or "trade secrets" is expressly excluded.
Anything they haven't already published could likely be considered a "trade
secret".

How many independent shops, let alone individual owners even drop $500 on a
set of manufacturer service manuals? 

And I'm guessing that the EPA will balk at the idea of letting any car owner
know how to dirty up their exhaust, meaning it will be overturned fairly
easily.  Interstate commerce and all that.

-- Randall  
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 07:46:53 -0600

[email-masked]