Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shop Vac

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 19:53:35 -0500

On 11/9/2012 7:31 PM, Doug Braun wrote:
> I am growing weary of my 12-year old, fairly cheap Sears shop vac.  It's
> starting to fall apart.
> Can anybody recommend a good replacement (or ones to avoid)?

I think there are really only two major manufacturers. Actual "Shop Vac" 
brand, which most people say is lousy. And Ridgid, which sells under 
their own name (@ Home Depot & elsewhere) and also appears to make 
Sears'. There are some esoteric brands with absurdly high (multi-hundred 
dollar) price tags, but you'd have to be an every day finish carpenter 
or similar to justify them.

I have a Ridgid 12gal one from H.D. that's worked well for 4+ years. The 
local H.D. has it (well, pretty much the same one) on holiday sale right 
now for $70 (same I paid years ago) AND it comes with more accessories 
than I got for the price (floor brush & squeegee nozzles). I can't say 
it's quiet, but it is improved -- a lot less shrill or high-pitched than 
the older Sears I had.

I like mine to be easy to move around, so I don't like the huge tank 
models. Who needs 20+ gallons liquid capacity? That's what a pump is 
for! Unfortunately, the mini-sized ones don't have all that much 
suction. The Ridgid is a good in between size for me.

-W
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Arvid Jedlicka <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 18:55:38 -0600

I got one of these a while ago to supplement the bigger vacs that never seem
to be where I and the dirt are. I find it handy to store and easy to grab,
plug in and use plus it seems to be quite powerful for the size.

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-Vacuum-Cleaners-Floor-Care-Wet-Dry-Vacuum
s/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbv79/R-203235053/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1
&storeId=10051#.UJ2kamt5mSM

On Nov 9, 2012, at 6:31 PM, Doug Braun <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm not looking for some giant fancy thing, but one that is not a hassle to
> use, not too noisy, and will
> not fall apart.  I tend to do a lot of little 30-second vacuuming jobs,
> mostly with a hand brush as
> opposed to a floor wand/brush.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 16:59:08 -0800

Doug - Both Lowes and Home Depot typically have a shop vac or two as a 
black Friday special for a very low price.  I picked up a Ridgid one to 
replace my failing 15 year old ShopVac screamer.  It had a larger 
diameter hose which makes for fewer clogs.  It also is easy to switch 
from suck to blow which either cleans out the hose or helps clean up the 
work area.

Lowes has part of their stuff out - was$89, will be $39.
http://www.theblackfriday.com/ads/lowes/lowes-black-friday-ad1.shtml.

Brian

On 11/9/2012 4:31 PM, Doug Braun wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mullen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 22:18:38 -0500

On the subject of shop vacs, many years ago, I bought the handiest accessory
for my nearly 30-year-old Craftsman vac.  It is a new hose - a hose that is
about 15-20 feet long.  Makes it extremely handy for most tasks, as you do
not have to move the vac around very much, if at all.

It is also one of the large diameter hoses (what? 2 inches instead of the
normal 1 1/2 inch hose?)

Tim Mullen

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 23:02:45 -0500

This long-hose model from Sears looks interesting:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-remote-control-wall-mount-5.0-peak-hp/p-00916825000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

It has a wall-mounting bracket, and at the end of the hose there is a
remote control switch, so
you can turn it on and off where you are working, instead of having to walk
back to the main unit.

Doug

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM, Mullen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 23:24:12 -0500

> http://www.sears.com/craftsman-remote-control-wall-mount-5.0-peak-hp/p-00916825000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

Wow, 5HP @ 120V. That takes around 32 amps. Didn't they ban BS HP 
claims, or get sued over them a few years ago???

-w

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 07:42:58 -0500

On Nov 9, 2012, at 11:24 PM, Wayne wrote:

>
> Wow, 5HP @ 120V. That takes around 32 amps. Didn't they ban BS HP claims, or
get sued over them a few years ago???

That's 5hp potential in the unburned fuel at the electrical plant :-)

I have a large Rigid (ahem) and a 1gal ShopVac. Both have been for for years
although both are quite loud. The 1 gal sounds right for your application
though it's torquey enough to spin itself if you don't hold it.

Quiet costs. WAP makes a nice one.

You could always locate the vacuum remotely like  central vacuum system but
that's fancy...
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Paul Parkanzky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 08:00:19 -0500

A lot of my 'online car buddies' have these:

http://www.bissell.com/garage-pro-wet-dry-vacuum/

And they're very well reviewed on the forums.  They all bought them
extremely cheap through a friend that works at Bissell.  I missed out on
the deal and I'm kicking myself for it.

-Paul P.

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 11:02 PM, Doug Braun <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 08:21:45 -0600

That is the ILS electric motor rating system used primarily for shop vacuums 
and air compressors. ILS -- If Lightning Strikes ---

-----Original Message----- 
From: Wayne
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2012 10:24 PM
To: Shop Talk List
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shop Vac

-w 

[email-masked]