Subject: [Shop-talk] License plate photos

From: Jim and Kathy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 17:50:30 -0500

My daughter recently bought her first new car, which she is understandably
proud of.  She just got her new plates, which are an indication of her new KY
residency, something she is also proud of and posted a photo of the plate on
Facebook.  I frequently see license plates blurred out in online photos and
wonder if I should be concerned about the photo.  Does anyone here know what
the concern is about showing plate numbers online?
Thanks.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 20:17:26 -0400

I agree about the paranoia, but just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!

Your daughter has likely posted all sorts of information on the web, like whether she lives alone and when she (or her roommate) will be gone to the movies.  The license plate just gives a potential attacker or burglar a link between the on-line personality and the woman getting in that car over there.  

Nothing to worry about.

-- Randall

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 22:29:52 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 10/26/2012 22:29:22, Serialize complete at 10/26/2012 22:29:22

Mike, I respectfully disagree.  The difference between your car photos and 
his daughter's photos are that there aren't predators that sit at home and 
try to stalk old men.

I would never put a photo with a LP on the web.  It's way too easy to 
remove or blur the LP and there is no reason to show it.  And I surely 
wouldn't let me daughter (or any woman I cared about) do it either.

BTW, I work for the NJ State Police as a senior Intel analyst, so I'm in 
the biz and see these kind of problems from time to time.

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 

Mike Rambour <[email-masked]> 
Sent by: [email-masked]
10/26/2012 18:55

To
[email-masked]
cc

Subject
Re: [Shop-talk] License plate photos

  Its just paranoia...that is all.

  The paranoid say that some one could get information from the license 
number when they see the car on the web...maybe true...but what about 
seeing the car drive down the road when your plate is in full display ?

   I post all my cars on the web and they all have their license numbers 
on the pictures.  Many pictures are even on my website from which you 
can find my address.  Its all about how paranoid you (or your daughter) 
is.

     mike

[email-masked]