Subject: [Shop-talk] Shower pans?

From: Scott <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 21:30:16 -0400

So the garage shower, as it turns out, is shot. It's a one-piece 
fiberglass unit and the floor of it has disintegrated.

I'd like to replace it with a Tileredi/Kerdi/prefab whatever pan and 
then tile the walls.

The problem is that the old unit appears to be about 34" x 34". It's 34 
inches from the surface of the drywall to the edge of the curb of the 
shower unit, and 34.5" wide from drywall surface to drywall surface in 
the alcove the unit is framed in.

I don't think I can fit the same kind of unit through the bathroom door, 
and I want the durability of tile, so I don't want to replace the 
pre-fab unit with another pre-fab unit. But I can't seem to find a pan 
that looks like it will fit in the framed space. Should I be taking off 
the thickness of the drywall? That'd probably make it about 35.5" wide 
by 34.5" deep, though I have another three or four inches further I 
could go into the bathroom, so it could be deeper.

The pans I'm looking at are $600, which is more than I want to risk on 
something that might not fit. I can order a nominal 36" x 36" unit--are 
these things like 2x4s and the 36" unit will fit? Or should I plan to 
notch studs, or...?

And suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

Scott
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive