Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shower pans?

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 20:12:42 -0700

Scott - I don't know anything about them, but saw
http://www.markeindustries.com/
in a magazine.  They appear to have a nice website with a variety of 
information.

I pay attention to this because I too have a shower that needs work.  
It's tile and I could see light from the bathroom in the crawlspace 
below at the floor/wall junction.  Two years ago I fixed it with a thick 
bead of silicone bathroom caulk and last month it was still dry 
underneath, but I know it needs a more permanent solution, so I've been 
watching the products.

I've been considering their shower system like
http://www.schluter.com/8_4_kerdi_shower_kit.aspx

They have a nice installation handbook at 
http://www.schluter.com/media/ShowerHandbook.pdf

Brian

On 10/25/2012 6:30 PM, Scott wrote:
> So the garage shower, as it turns out, is shot. It's a one-piece 
> fiberglass unit and the floor of it has disintegrated.
>
> I'd like to replace it with a Tileredi/Kerdi/prefab whatever pan and 
> then tile the walls.
>
> The problem is that the old unit appears to be about 34" x 34". It's 
> 34 inches from the surface of the drywall to the edge of the curb of 
> the shower unit, and 34.5" wide from drywall surface to drywall 
> surface in the alcove the unit is framed in.
>
> I don't think I can fit the same kind of unit through the bathroom 
> door, and I want the durability of tile, so I don't want to replace 
> the pre-fab unit with another pre-fab unit. But I can't seem to find a 
> pan that looks like it will fit in the framed space. Should I be 
> taking off the thickness of the drywall? That'd probably make it about 
> 35.5" wide by 34.5" deep, though I have another three or four inches 
> further I could go into the bathroom, so it could be deeper.
>
> The pans I'm looking at are $600, which is more than I want to risk on 
> something that might not fit. I can order a nominal 36" x 36" 
> unit--are these things like 2x4s and the 36" unit will fit? Or should 
> I plan to notch studs, or...?
>
> And suggestions are appreciated, thanks.
>
> Scott
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bob Nogueira <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 18:34:44 -0500

I've done several showers over the years. Last couple I used the Kerdi system
and you could never get me to go any other way.  I will say that it looks a
bit scary the way they do corners but it sure does work well.   You can also
do the shower in any shape or size.  If you are withIn a few inches of a
standard shower you can use their foam underpaid which gives you the correct
slope.
Check out
  http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php
Ive gotten lots of good advise from the forum and he is very knowledgable of
the Kerdi system.

Bob

Sent from my iPad

information.
>
> I pay attention to this because I too have a shower that needs work.  It's
tile and I could see light from the bathroom in the crawlspace below at the
floor/wall junction.  Two years ago I fixed it with a thick bead of silicone
bathroom caulk and last month it was still dry underneath, but I know it needs
a more permanent solution, so I've been watching the products.
>> So the garage shower, as it turns out, is shot. It's a one-piece fiberglass
unit and the floor of it has disintegrated.
>>
>> I'd like to replace it with a Tileredi/Kerdi/prefab whatever pan and then
tile the walls.
>>
>> The problem is that the old unit appears to be about 34" x 34". It's 34
inches from the surface of the drywall to the edge of the curb of the shower
unit, and 34.5" wide from drywall surface to drywall surface in the alcove the
unit is framed in.
>>
>> I don't think I can fit the same kind of unit through the bathroom door,
and I want the durability of tile, so I don't want to replace the pre-fab unit
with another pre-fab unit. But I can't seem to find a pan that looks like it
will fit in the framed space. Should I be taking off the thickness of the
drywall? That'd probably make it about 35.5" wide by 34.5" deep, though I have
another three or four inches further I could go into the bathroom, so it could
be deeper.
>> The pans I'm looking at are $600, which is more than I want to risk on
something that might not fit. I can order a nominal 36" x 36" unit--are these
things like 2x4s and the 36" unit will fit? Or should I plan to notch studs,
or...?
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]