Subject: [Shop-talk] Non-Ferrous miter saw blade?

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 17:33:51 -0700

I'm doing a railing project and was looking for a Non-Ferrous blade for 
my 10" miter saw, but Lowes and Home Depot don't appear to have them in 
the stores.  I want it for the weekend, so don't want to have to order 
online.  I only have six cuts to make in a powder coated extruded 
aluminum top rail if all is good, so also don't want to spend a bunch.

What is special about about a blade to make it good for non-ferrous 
metals like aluminum?  Since I only have a few cuts, can I get a clean 
edge from a cheap regular 10" blade?  Are more teeth better? Four of the 
cuts will be mitered corners, so I want them to be clean.  This will not 
be long term production, so durability is not a concern.

I was considering going to look at Harbor Freight.  They have the two 
blades below that may be at my local store.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-40-tooth-carbide-tipped-circular-saw-blade-with-titanium-nitride-coating-93893.html

or

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-40-tooth-m2-high-speed-steel-tipped-saw-blade-529.html

I also have an abrasive metal cutting blade I used on 3/16" steel, but 
assume that will not give me a clean cut.

I have a little extra length in the top rail segments, so will make a 
test cut first.

Thanks for any recommendations,

Brian
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive