Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Headlight housing hazing

From: Mark Andy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 14:10:04 -0400 (EDT)

Howdy,

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012, [email-masked] wrote:
> Talking about the headlight housing, how do you fix the hazing that 
> happens on them?
>
> I've tried to use toothpaste, but it didn't work that well.  Any other 
> ideas?  I see lots of kits to do it, but I wonder which one is best, or 
> if there is a better homemade solution (maybe I did the toothpaste 
> wrong.)

I've used a 3M (?? I think it was) kit from the autoparts store.  Seemed 
to work really well on my motorhome's fairly cloudy headlights and its 
lasted.  If I had to do it again, I'd do the same thing (i.e. go to parts 
store, look at kits, pick whichever one caught my eye the most).

Mark
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Peter J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 14:16:44 -0400

On 9/11/2012 1:52 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> ideas?  I see lots of kits to do it, but I wonder which one is best, or if
> there is a better homemade solution (maybe I did the toothpaste wrong.)

I've used polishing compound (like rubbing compound) it improves it but 
may not be as good as commercial products which coat the lens. I'd only 
us it on old lens.  I also used ceramic stove cleaner on windshields to 
clean them with great success.  This would probably work on headlamps also.

Peter T.

[email-masked]

---

From: PJ McGarvey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 14:21:20 -0400

Eric the Car Guy (one of my new favorite YouTube channels) has a video on this
I watched awhile back.  Offers some tips, though I can't say he or I can
recommend the best kit out there.  Somewhat entertaining watching in any
case.
http://youtu.be/iRl8hGhKth8

-PJ

> Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 14:16:44 -0400
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Headlight housing hazing
>
if
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Ronnie Day <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 14:45:39 -0500

I worked on the headlights on our '05 Accord this weekend. I've used a
couple of the commercial kits and I think the Meguiar's Heavy Duty kits is
the best in my experience. It includes both 1000 and 3000 grit disks and a
comfortable to use disk holder, along with a liquid polish and a sealer.
There's also a soft cotton buffing disk for use with a drill that's about 3
inches across so it works well on all sizes and shapes of headlights.

I expect the sealer helps maintain the clarity longer than you might get
with just sanding and polishing. Our commute in through farm country and
there's often a lot of "junk" in the air. In fact a year or so ago our '95
Odyssey started overheating for no apparent reason, Turned out that over
several years the space between the AC condenser and rad had become full of
this stuff floating around in the air. I'm sure it's somewhat abrasive on
the headlights at 75 plus, too. Interesting to note that the headlights on
the Odyssey are cast from harder plastic than the Accord. They're held up
well but were also much improved after using the Maguier's kit on them, as
were the headlights on our '93 GMC PU.

I've noticed when driving our "new" '02 Suburban that the headlights leave
much to be desired, but it looks like the outfit that was mentioned here on
the list that was offering high output headlights is no longer in business.
I'll dig around on Jeg's, LMC Truck and some of the Chev/GMC truck forums
to see what I can find. I also want to improve the horn on the Sub. The OE
unit sounds like it's from a pedal car!

Ron

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 1:21 PM, PJ McGarvey <[email-masked]>wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]