Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Welding auto-darkening helmet

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 16:31:30 -0400

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 4:06 PM, PJ McGarvey <[email-masked]> wrote:
> So I just want to be safe here, is there anything I can/should do to test this
> out so I know it will work when I spark up the welder?

Mine will darken when pointed at the sun...

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Karl Vacek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 15:52:24 -0500

Typically these shields default to dark if there's no power, though I don't
know about the Hazard Fraught models.

One other consideration is that even though they may not darken for some
reason, there's supposed to be adequate UV protection even in the "light"
condition.  It may not be comfortable to view welding through a light lens,
but it's not supposed to be harmful, so testing shouldn't be particularly
hazardous.

And, like Jeff, mine (an old Sellstrom that uses AAA battteries) darkens in
sunlight when it's on and has good batteries.

Karl

-----Original Message-----
From: PJ McGarvey
Subject: [Shop-talk] Welding auto-darkening helmet

My Harbor Freight MIG welder and welding helmet have been on the shelf for a
few years gathering dust.  I might have an excuse to use both of them soon.
I took a peak at the helmet thinking maybe the batteries might need
replacing, but it doesn't appear to use any.. So it looks like it uses a
panel of some kind to detect the light from the arc and flips on and darkens
the shield.  I took a look at it and all seems to be in order.  I remember
using it with good success before.

So I just want to be safe here, is there anything I can/should do to test
this out so I know it will work when I spark up the welder?  It didn't seem
to respond much to normal flashlight light...  My retinas thank you. -PJ 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 17:03:26 -0400

Mine, also a battery powered model, darkens in sunlight and even when 
just looking directly at a light bulb.  Another interesting thing, I 
can darken mine with a TV remote control.

-Steve Trovato
[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 17:09:28 -0400

Look at the sun through the helmet, and rapidly wave your hand in front of
the sensor.
That should definitely make it darken.

Doug

[email-masked]

---

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 17:18:41 -0500

I have a 10 year old Hobart helmet that does not have batteries either. 
After sitting for a long time. when I started welding, the window didn't 
darken. I left it sitting facing the sun for a couple hours, after which 
it worked fine. You might want to give that a try.

Peace,
Pat
Thusly spake PJ McGarvey
> few years gathering dust.  I might have an excuse to use both of them soon.  I
> took a peak at the helmet thinking maybe the batteries might need replacing,
> but it doesn't appear to use any.. So it looks like it uses a panel of some
> kind to detect the light from the arc and flips on and darkens the shield.  I
> took a look at it and all seems to be in order.  I remember using it with good
> success before.
>
> out so I know it will work when I spark up the welder?  It didn't seem to
> respond much to normal flashlight light...  My retinas thank you. -PJ
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>
>

Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems (512) 797-7501 Voice & Text 5026 FM 2001 
[email-masked] Lockhart, TX 78644-4443 www.hornesystemstx.com -- 
We support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 18:43:03 -0400

> Mine will darken when pointed at the sun...

Having said that, there may be some tiny batteries somewhere...  Page
7 of this document
http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/46000-46999/46092.pdf states
that my helmet has 3V lithium cells for backup, that typically last 6
years and don't need to be changed.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 16:51:59 -0700

Does this mean when the batteries do wear out after six years you just throw 
everything away?  What a crazy marketing environment we live in!

Mike

[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 20:21:22 -0400

> everything away?  What a crazy marketing environment we live in!

I'm pretty sure you can replace the batteries.  Maybe they expect
you'll wear out the helmet before then...
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Jack Brooks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 19:28:10 -0700

I think I've already gone in deep enough to be pretty sure that you can
replace the batteries.

Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jeff Scarbrough
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2012 5:21 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Welding auto-darkening helmet

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Dave C <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 19:45:30 -0700

When you figure out how, please let us know.  I have a couple of them at 
school.

One way I test the helmet is to strike a flint striker in front of it.  
That usually causes it to darken.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Jack Brooks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 20:14:40 -0700

Dave,

On my helmet, which is a HF helmet, I found the batteries.  The very bottom
of the electrical assembly has a small raised tab on the right side. This is
on the lowest portion of the electrical assembly, facing directly back at
your face. Pushing this left and lifting reveals two AAA batteries.  it is
basically a snap on access panel.

This may be easier if you remove the two thumbscrews holding the entire
electrical assembly in place, just as you would do if you were going to
change out the clear glass on the outside of the helmet and them pull the
assembly out of the helmet entirely. 

Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave C [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2012 7:46 PM
To: Jack Brooks
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Welding auto-darkening helmet

[email-masked]

---

From: PJ McGarvey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 20:18:00 -0400

Not sure why it wasn't working so well before, but I did clean up the lens a
bit and a bright 75 watt bulb seems to confirm it works OK.  I'll assume
batteries are OK for the time being.
Now to see if the welder is fraught with hazard..

Thanks

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 20:14:40 -0700
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]