Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] premade drawer box

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 12:48:13 -0700

David - If you want someone to make them, a local cabinetry place can 
probably do it.  If you can do basic woodworking, some prefinished 
drawer sides may make it easier to do yourself.

As an example see
http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Finished-Drawer-Side-CAPITOL-LUMBER/dp/B0027A5VOQ
(just took a quick look for "drawer sides")

Local plywood/lumber suppliers may stock them.  The sides are all precut 
for height and the plywood bottom, so all you need to do is make some 
cuts, attach the corners, and cut a bottom.  You will also need slides 
of course.

Brian

On 9/2/2012 11:18 AM, David Scheidt wrote:
> Our kitchen cabinets have a drawer missing.  There's a front for it,
> there's nothing blocking the space, and there's no reason not to have
> one.  (paricularly since the opening is 24" wide, and the other
> drawers are all narrow.)  I'd like to buy a box, install it , and
> attach the existing front to it.  Anyone have suggestions on where to
> get such a thing?  None of the local big box places do.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 14:56:06 -0500

David,

If you have access to a miter saw, or are good with a circular saw, you 
can make your own drawer box from material that Rockler sells 
(http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=204&site=ROCKLER) All you need 
to do is make the sides, front and back of the drawer box using this 
product, then cut a bottom out of 1/4" plywood, glue and screw/nail it 
together and put guides on. Rockler also had the guides.

When you make the box, the front and back should be lapped by the sides 
for strength. Most side-mounted guides require 1/4" clearance to the 
opening on each side of the box (1/2" narrower than the opening).

If you need more information, please ask me.

Peace,
Pat.

-- 
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice		5026 FM 2001
[email-masked]	Lockhart, TX 78644-4443
www.hornesystemstx.com
-- We support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2012 18:58:21 -0700

> can make your own drawer box from material that Rockler sells 

Or make your own from clear hardwood, available at the big box place.  Last
time I borrowed time on a friend's table saw to cut the dado (multiple
passes with a standard blade since neither of us had a dado blade), but you
could make do with a circular saw and some guide boards clamped to the board
you are working on.  I've also done it with a router.

For a drawer that wide, you might also want a stiffening rib or two across
the bottom.\

-- Randall  

[email-masked]

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2012 21:30:55 -0500

On Sep 2, 2012, at 2:56 PM, Pat Horne <[email-masked]> wrote:

> David,
>
> If you have access to a miter saw, or are good with a circular saw, you can
make your own drawer box from material that Rockler sells

I know how to make a drawer. Ive made a bunch. I have no interest in doing
that.

I know, from experience, that a local cabinet maker is going to br not
interested, quote a ridiculously high price, or farm it out.

Drawer boxes are something that is widely outsourced, as it is tooling
intensive, and no one cares about them. If youve got the cnc equipment, and
make them all day, you can sell them for what a job shop has in materials. I
was hoping someone had dealt with someone who was willing to deal with a
customer who only needs one.

> (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=204&site=ROCKLER) All you need to
do is make the sides, front and back of the drawer box using this product,
then cut a bottom out of 1/4" plywood, glue and screw/nail it together and put
guides on. Rockler also had the guides.
>
> When you make the box, the front and back should be lapped by the sides for
strength. Most side-mounted guides require 1/4" clearance to the opening on
each side of the box (1/2" narrower than the opening).
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]