Subject: [Shop-talk] Repairing a Concrete Step

From: Jim Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 20:02:02 -0500 FILETIME=[8FF5ED20:01CD88A6]

So, besides the broken railing, the corner of the step by that railing is
broken.  (Which may explain the broken railing: someone may have put too much
weight on it and broken both the railing and the step.) It is still attached
to the rest of the step, but the crack goes all the way around (creating a
kind of pyramid shape) and I assume a good hammer blow will knock it off.  I
also want to fix that after I am finished repairing the railing.  I have never
done concrete repair before, but it doesn't look too difficult.  I do think I
would need some way to make sure the patch stays attached to the rest of the
step.  I spent some time looking at the Quickrete products at Home Depot today
and see they have several different bonding agents that are designed to help.
I was also thinking about doing something like putting a couple of lag bolts
into the base, perhaps with lead anchors, sizing them so they would be
completely encased in the new concrete.  Then build a wood form around the
area and pour in new concrete.

Would that work?  Is there a better way to do it?

Thanks.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive