Subject: [Shop-talk] Chasing down an auto wiring issue

From: Scott <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 22:30:45 -0400

Okay, it's in the shop, and you guys are probably better at this than 
anyone else...

My CTS daily driver has 'parking' lights in the headlight housing (I 
don't know what else to call them--little white lights in the corner of 
the housing...'marker' lights, maybe?).  The driver's light is out. It's 
not the bulb. The other lights in the housing work fine, as does the 
passenger side marker light.

I have no idea how to go about chasing this down. Short of disassembling 
the car and examining or replacing the wire...I got nothing.

Any help?

Thanks.

Scott
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 23:19:24 -0400

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:30 PM, Scott <[email-masked]> wrote:
>  The driver's light is out. It's not the bulb. The other lights in the
> housing work fine, as does the passenger side marker light.
>
> Any help?

I don't know anything either, but I would guess that the cluster has a
plug attached to it.  I'd make sure there's power to the plug.  If so,
then you pull the cluster out and trace the wiring/circuit
board/whatever moves electrons around the board to see what's wrong.

How old is this vehicle?   You have tested the lamp, and/or replaced
it with a known good lamp?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Battmain <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 20:35:33 -0700 (PDT)

Usually a bad bulb, grounding or wire issue. Normally the fuses cover both
sides, and not a single side. Occasionally you have to break out the owners
manual and head for the fuse description section. If you depend on the little
diagram on the fusebox, you may spend hours thinking you replaced the
'correct' fuse when in fact you did not. BTDT. Also using a known good bulb is
a good suggestion. Never assume.

Brian

>________________________________
>
From: Scott <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 10:30 PM
>Subject: [Shop-talk] Chasing down
an auto wiring issue
> 
>Okay, it's in the shop, and you guys are probably
better at this than anyone else...
>
>My CTS daily driver has 'parking' lights
in the headlight housing (I don't know what else to call them--little white
lights in the corner of the housing...'marker' lights, maybe?).  The driver's
light is out. It's not the bulb. The other lights in the housing work fine, as
does the passenger side marker light.
>
>I have no idea how to go about
chasing this down. Short of disassembling the car and examining or replacing
the wire...I got nothing.
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Suggested annual donation  $12.96
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]