Subject: [Shop-talk] OT building question

From: Rich White <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 21:08:43 -0500 FILETIME=[8AFD5C00:01CD8BD4]

I know this isn't shop related, but Mark seems OK if we stray a little... My
wife and I own a two story, four unit apartment building.

It is currently stucco over lath.  Due to years of neglect the stucco and lath
are
pulling free of the framing and we have been told everything will need to
come
off.

We want to keep the "look" of the building.  I found two types of vertical
siding and what seems to be an updated version of stucco.Does anyone have any
experance any of these
products?http://www.jameshardiecommercial.com/index-all.shtmlhttp://www.certa
inteed.com/http://www.dryvit.com/systems.asp?country_id=1
Rich White Central, IL USA
'63 TR3B TCF###L
That ain't a scrap pile, that is my car!
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 21:56:37 -0700

Rich,

I'm using the residential Hardie Soffit product right now under my 
balcony instead of stucco.  In my case, it is much lighter, cheaper, and 
a do it myself product.  I have the 12" x 12' Cedarmill and like it.

With the sheets of vertical siding on the Hardie Commercial site, you 
will have seams, so need to plan how you cover them.  If you have 
imperfections in the building, they will also stand out more with a 
uniform product like the siding.  A skilled stucco person can make a bad 
wall look good, so that may be a consideration.  You also need to line 
the edges of the vertical siding sheets on studs, which might be 
wasteful depending on your framing.  This wouldn't be an issue with 
horizontal siding.  Stucco doesn't care about uneven stud locations.

The commercial product you are looking at is 5/16" thick vs. the 1/4" 
residential soffit product I'm using, but I'd be concerned about 
durability/damage at a rental location that may be abused.  If a stucco 
wall takes a baseball hit or gets bumped by a car, I think there is less 
chance that anyone will know compared to the Hardie siding.  Hopefully 
someone else on the list can speak to the durability of the specific 
products you are looking at.  One option might be to use the siding on 
the upper level and stucco on the lower level.  That way, you could run 
the sheets vertical and not have any horizontal seams.  You might even 
be able to get higher rent if the place looks architecturally interesting.

The fiber cement product is brittle and needs to be carried on edge.  I 
snapped the first piece I tried to put up.  I then used a long strip of 
plywood to support the pieces as I lifted them into position.  This 
probably will not be a problem with siding, especially if two people are 
doing the install.

They say you need to buy a special blade if you use a circular saw, but 
I use an old fast framing blade.  It makes lots of dust.  I did wear a 
respirator and safety glasses and recommend anyone sawing fiber cement 
product do the same.  I used a diamond blade in my jig saw for neat 
rounded cuts around electrical boxes.

I ordered the primed, but not painted product.  It paints nice, but 
takes two coats of Behr Masonry/brick/stucco paint to cover it nicely.  
The first coat really soaked in, so I think the claims about the paint 
lasting are true.

Call around if you have an option with multiple dealers.  I had very 
different prices and delivery times.  It turns out, the cheapest could 
also have it is stock in two days vs. a week and 30 percent more for the 
first place I called.

Brian

On 9/5/2012 7:08 PM, Rich White wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]