Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Separating copper

From: "Karl Vacek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 08:18:08 -0500

Having been disappointed in every rust penetrant I've ever tried, and never
really believing that any of them actually loosened anything, I just heard
of something else from someone similarly frustrated.

Corrosion X is a product sold for internal corrosion protection of vehicles
and structures.  Really popular for spraying inside aluminum aircraft, into
all the hidden panels, etc. where there's no way to clean or inspect short
of rivet removal and rebuilding.  It's not AFAIK sold as a penetrant for
part removal.  However...

This guy had two really rusty Curtiss OX-5 (used in the WWI Jenny, Waco 10,
etc.) engines he'd just bought.  I mentioned that successful disassembly
looked really iffy, and he immediately smiled and said that where previously
he'd anticipate spending months struggling with disassembly, he didn't
expect to spend more than a few hours on each one after an hour or two with
Corrosion X.  The engines have lots of steel and aluminum parts, with some
brass and copper as well.

He's not a Corrosion-X dealer - he makes custom embroidered shirts, jackets,
caps, etc. to support his antique airplane habit.  In fact, he didn't even
specify which formulation to use - they have several.

Karl

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 06:06
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Shop-talk] Separating copper

Quick question, I have an antique split bamboo fishing rod that is
*suppose* to separate in the middle.  The problem is that they are stuck
solid.

I've tried WD40, and some other lubricants with no luck.  Heat really isn't
an option. 

So, any ideas?  I need to be careful, because I don't want to destroy or
damage the rod.  (I believe the metal tips are either copper)

Thanks.

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph Waldo
Emerson _______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Gerald Brazil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 10:18:17 -0400

I have two ideas.....one serious and one "myth busters".....

Try Kroil....the very best stuff I have found for dealing with anything
metal....

The second....Coca Cola.......people use it for everything else.....might
just work.  ;-)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 7:06 AM

Thanks.

Eric P

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mark Endicott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 11:57:44 -0500 a=Gg370gbHjb0A:10 a=zZKT3jqqOw0A:10 a=8nJEP1OIZ-IA:10 a=R5gpiK+HJ/bna/IrAbEdxw==:17 a=jU28zLRMCjwTw7UZJVoA:9 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10 a=R5gpiK+HJ/bna/IrAbEdxw==:117 reip=0.000, cl=1, cld=1, fgs=0

How about freezing the joint to shrink it then heating the outside piece 
quickly with a small jewelers torch to try to expand the outer collar while 
the inner is still cold?  Eric, you probably have some liquid nitrogen 
available don't you?  Maybe the expansion and contraction would break it 
loose.

Mark
Nashville

[email-masked]

---

From: steve hochschild <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 12:01:44 -0500

In my experience, this doesn't really work for copper -- it transfers 
heat so quickly the delta between the inner and outer only lasts for a 
nanosecond, too fast for expansion to expand.

On 9/11/2012 11:57 AM, Mark Endicott wrote:
> How about freezing the joint to shrink it then heating the outside 
> piece quickly with a small jewelers torch to try to expand the outer 
> collar while the inner is still cold?  Eric, you probably have some 
> liquid nitrogen available don't you?  Maybe the expansion and 
> contraction would break it loose.
>
> Mark
> Nashville

[email-masked]

---

From: Dave C <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 19:17:30 -0700

I'm sold on CorrosionX too.  It's pretty much the only spray stuff in a 
can I buy any more, although I was pretty happy with Kroil, too.

On 9/11/2012 6:18 AM, Karl Vacek wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]