Subject: [Shop-talk] Extension cord gauge per load and distance

From: Ian McFetridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:28:09 -0400

Quick question.  Has anyone created an Excel spreadsheet to calculate
extension cord gauge requirements?

A friend of mine asked what size extension cords to get for his generator
and I of course I said "it depends."  Not being an electrician or an EE, I
pointed him to the formulas on eHow and showed him how to create a
spreadsheet (attached) that would calculate what extension cord gauge is
needed.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7812266_calculate-needed-make-extension-cord.html

Before he goes out and buys extension cords based on what the spreadsheet
says, I told him to hold-off until I could at least ask some other people
to double-check the spreadsheet theory and answers.  If you have a moment,
let me know what you think of the spreadsheet results.  Also, would be
interested in knowing if there is a better spreadsheet/calculator for this.

Thanks in advance,
Ian

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/vnd]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Tim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 08:27:36 -0400 (EDT)

Heavy duty extension cords are pretty pricey. I had my compressor (240 
hard wired) connected to the panel in my garage and it cost under $100. 
I am guessing he will pay close to that for a heavy duty cord....

50 ft 10 gauge over $85....

http://www.gemplers.com/product/181891/50-ft-10-gauge-Heavy-duty-Extension-Cables?sku=181891&src=25SEPLA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=181891&gclid=CNrr9uqO57ECFcVAMgod9l4A9Q

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 7:10 AM, Ian McFetridge wrote:

> Thanks guys.  I reminded my friend not to go into a store and ask for 
> an
> AWG 11 cord.  haha
> And I also reminded him to use the surge/startup amperage listed on 
> some
> appliances rather than just the steady-state load.  Finally, I pointed 
> out
> that he wouldn't have to worry about this if he had an electrician 
> connect
> his generator to his panel...he said he is too cheap, we'll see how he
> feels about buying all of those extension cords!
>
> - Ian
>
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Ian McFetridge
> <[email-masked]>wrote:
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 18:08:19 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 08/14/2012 18:07:24, Serialize complete at 08/14/2012 18:07:24

Just tell him to back feed the panel and make sure he shuts off the main 
before starting the genny.

This way, he only needs one heavy cable (and it can be as short as 
possible) and he has his whole house wired properly.

Note:  This is against every code I know, but it is safe if you are 
mindful of what you are doing.

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 

[email-masked]