Subject: [Shop-talk] DC to DC PS/charger

From: Ronnie Day <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 16:30:37 -0500

Just bought a Dell 17 inch laptop and have been looking for DC power
supply/charger for it. The output of the AC supply is just over 19 volts DC
@ almost 7 amps. I realize I could use an inverter and just plug the AC
supply in to it, but that's a bulky kluge, IMO. Both the Accord and the
Suburban have good sized console bins that I could stick the circuitry in
and leave the output pigtail hanging out.

I've be doing some online research, but haven't found any straight forward
answers yet.

Ron
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 10:00:09 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 08/20/2012 10:00:16, Serialize complete at 08/20/2012 10:00:16

Have you thought about hacking apart an old UPS?  Just supply the old 
battery terminals with the 12v dc from your vehicle and you'll have 120v 
AC out.
You need to make sure you have heavy enough gauge wire and that the UPS 
can supply the needed amps.  But it can work and old UPS with bad 
batteries can be had for free.  (Oh, you can sell the used batteries to 
most scrap yards.)

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]