Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] schumacher SE4022 battery charger

From: Battmain <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 19:55:35 -0700 (PDT)

A little googling on the model number shows the rectifiers may be blown. Based
on my experiences with other chargers with a similar issue, the rectifier
issue may have some merit. Seems you can purchase just the parts with a bit of
digging.   www.digikey.com has a good cross reference even if they surcharge
for being under minimum order. 

Regards,
Brian
>________________________________
> From: Dan Fest <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked] 
>Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:04 PM
>Subject: [Shop-talk] schumacher SE4022 battery charger
> 
>I have a fairly
new schumacher SE4022 battery charger.  It's a good quality
>one for trucks,
etc.  We were using it the other day and it was working fine.
>While in use,
we heard a click and it stopped working.  Is anyone familar with
>these ??
Does it have a circuit breaker of fuse ???? I'd like to try to fix it
>since
it cost almost $350 last year.
>thanks,
>Dan
>_______________________________________________
>
>[email-masked]
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Suggested annual donation  $12.96
>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: David Hillman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 12:47:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012, Dan Fest wrote:
> I have a fairly new schumacher SE4022 battery charger.  It's a good quality
> one for trucks, etc.  We were using it the other day and it was working fine.
> While in use, we heard a click and it stopped working.  Is anyone 
> familar with these ?? Does it have a circuit breaker of fuse ???? I'd 
> like to try to fix it since it cost almost $350 last year.

    I have a different model Schumacher charger with the same problem. 
Last year it just stopped working.  I thought the same thing you are 
thinking, but when I disassembled it, I found no such easy fixes.  No 
blown fuses.  I did find a loose connection, but that wasn't the problem.

    I never did fix it, and bought a replacement ( since my original lasted 
many years ) instead.  Haven't quite brought myself to throw out or 
recycle the broken yet, since it doesn't look like 'junk' yet ;)

    Good luck.

--
  David Hillman

[email-masked]

---

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 12:50:01 -0500

I has a Schumacher charger about 15 years ago that worked fine until it 
blew the diodes. A call too the manufacturer got me a free set of 
rectifiers, I just had to pay shipping. You might see what they say.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake David Hillman, On 8/30/2012 11:47 AM:
>    I never did fix it, and bought a replacement ( since my original 
> lasted many years ) instead.  Haven't quite brought myself to throw 
> out or recycle the broken yet, since it doesn't look like 'junk' yet ;)
>
>    Good luck.
>
> -- 
>  David Hillman
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>
>

-- 
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice		5026 FM 2001
[email-masked]	Lockhart, TX 78644-4443
www.hornesystemstx.com
-- We support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 14:33:51 -0400

I have a relatively little model of theirs. 2 / 10 / 60amp @ 12V. Got it 
at AdvanceAuto, but I'e seen the identical one with different paint 
elsewhere. Took a look "under the hood" years ago. No much to 'em. I'd 
agree with the part about the rectifiers. It's either gonna have a 
decent sized 4 terminal bridge rectifier, or discrete diodes, pretty 
close to the transformer. If you have a meter and know some basic 
electronics, you can test it pretty easily. Diodes can likely be 
replaced with 1N40xx series parts. And bridges are pretty standard. When 
in doubt, go for higher current rating. Available from Digi-Key, Mouser, 
Newark, or even Radio Shanty.

If it's further into the regulation or controls, that's more than I 
remember.

-Wayne

On 8/30/2012 1:50 PM, Pat Horne wrote:
>> lasted many years ) instead. Haven't quite brought myself to throw out
>> or recycle the broken yet, since it doesn't look like 'junk' yet ;)
>>
>> Good luck.
>>
>> --
>> David Hillman

[email-masked]

---

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 15:35:09 -0400

Oh, c**p. Pat corrected me, thx. I haven't bought any in a few years. 
But my recollection was the trailing 2 numbers were the amperage rating. 
eg: 1n4005 = 5amp, but it's actually tied to the voltage. Oh well. 
Digi-Key's search will get you onto the right thing.
   -Wayne

On 8/30/2012 2:48 PM, Pat Horne wrote:

> Wayne,
> 1n40xx are only rated at 1 amp, so they will be too small for this
> application. You will need diodes or a bridge rated at the minimum, the
> current output of the highest output current of the charger. They will
> also need to be on a heat sink or bolted to the chassis of the charger.
>
> Peace,
> Pat

[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 21:58:02 -0700

>     I have a different model Schumacher charger with the same 

FWIW, I have a smaller Schumacher charger (2/10/50 IIRC) that was given to
me after it died.  Its problem turned out to be diodes (as I think someone
already suggested).  I grabbed a diode plate out of an old dead alternator
and mounted that in place of the original diodes.

I've had to replace a few other items (circuit breaker and battery clips, it
really needs a new AC line cord); but 20 years later those old alternator
diodes are still doing the job.

-- Randall  

[email-masked]