Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Extension cord gauge per load and distance

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:30:41 -0400

Ehow can be a rather dubious source of information.
That formula looks reasonable, but the example in the description suggests
using 11 gauge wire, which does not really exist.

Assuming he has a 120-volt generator and a 120-volt load,  he should get a
12-gauge
cord for a large load, or a long run.  14 gauge is OK for smaller stuff, or
even 16 gauge
for little things like electronics.

Doug

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Ian McFetridge
<[email-masked]>wrote:

> Quick question.  Has anyone created an Excel spreadsheet to calculate
> extension cord gauge requirements?
>
> A friend of mine asked what size extension cords to get for his generator
> and I of course I said "it depends."  Not being an electrician or an EE, I
> pointed him to the formulas on eHow and showed him how to create a
> spreadsheet (attached) that would calculate what extension cord gauge is
> needed.
> http://www.ehow.com/how_7812266_calculate-needed-make-extension-cord.html
>
> Before he goes out and buys extension cords based on what the spreadsheet
> says, I told him to hold-off until I could at least ask some other people
> to double-check the spreadsheet theory and answers.  If you have a moment,
> let me know what you think of the spreadsheet results.  Also, would be
> interested in knowing if there is a better spreadsheet/calculator for this.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ian
>
> [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/vnd]
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Battmain <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:33:50 -0700 (PDT)

It depends on what he's going to run from the generator. As a reference, the
small compressor I have will run the first time and pump up to the shutoff.
Anything else after that it suffers. Starts, Stops before the shutoff. I was
using 50ft of 14 guage. It works fine when plugged directly into the outlet or
using a heavier gauge extension. At first I thought it was overheating and put
a fan on it, and it helped slightly but it kept having the start issue until I
plugged in directly to the outlet. That same extension has issues running a
14" fan from a small inverter too, but it runs lower demand items with no
problems. Similar findings as the compressor. Works fine when plugged directly
into the inverter. The 12g extension is pricey, but if needed, get it. 
Regards,
B

>________________________________
> From: Ian McFetridge
<[email-masked]>
>To: Shop Talk <[email-masked]> 
>Sent:
Monday, August 13, 2012 10:28 AM
>Subject: [Shop-talk] Extension cord gauge
per load and distance
>A friend of
mine asked what size extension cords to get for his generator
>and I of course
I said "it depends."  Not being an electrician or an EE, I
>pointed him to the
formulas on eHow and showed him how to create a
>spreadsheet (attached) that
would calculate what extension cord gauge is
>to
double-check the spreadsheet theory and answers.  If you have a moment,
>let
me know what you think of the spreadsheet results.  Also, would be
>interested
in knowing if there is a better spreadsheet/calculator for this.
>Thanks in
advance,
>[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/vnd]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Ian McFetridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 08:10:49 -0400

Thanks guys.  I reminded my friend not to go into a store and ask for an
AWG 11 cord.  haha
And I also reminded him to use the surge/startup amperage listed on some
appliances rather than just the steady-state load.  Finally, I pointed out
that he wouldn't have to worry about this if he had an electrician connect
his generator to his panel...he said he is too cheap, we'll see how he
feels about buying all of those extension cords!

- Ian

[email-masked]