Subject: [Shop-talk] Garage Sound system

From: "Bob Nogueira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 13:23:21 -0500 with any abuse report

In my garage I have a PC computer with my music and a internet connection. On
the other side of the garage (30 feet)  is the FM stereo amp.  For several
reasons I can not have the amp and PC close together. I have been using a
Bluetooth to get the  computer audio output to the amp.

The Bluetooth has been a real pain so I would now like to hardwire the
computers audio output to the amps  aux input.

My Question is what gauge wire will I need to cover the  30 b40 ft. between
the computer and amp?

Bob
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 18:38:55 +0000

> My Question is what gauge wire will I need to cover the  30 b40 ft.
between

If you use the speaker output from the PC, and a "line in" connection on the
amp, then almost anything will do.  Even 24 AWG will only add about 2 ohms DC
resistance, which is negligible compared to the ~10k ohm "line in".  And the
low output impedance should keep it from picking up any hum or coupling from
other wires.  (Assuming you aren't looking for concert hall realism here, just
background noise while you work <g>)

If hum or noise pickup does prove to be a problem, either re-route the wire or
use something shielded.

-- Randall

[email-masked]