Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] alt or battery?

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 20:48:19 -0400

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Tim <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Battery was showing over 13 volts when car was running when she got
> home.

It should read the same at the alternator.  The proper way to test is
to fully charge the battery (disconnected from the car), and then load
test it.  You could also fully charge it and turn the headlights on,
then try to start the car.  Do this while measuring the voltage at the
battery terminals.  Less than 10V, plan on a new battery.  Most of the
big chain FLAPS will test your battery and alternator when they sell
you a new one - but the key is fully charged.  If the battery is run
down, it's not a fair test.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 20:22:49 -0700

> home. I could not get a reading off the alt as the 
> connections are all 
> covered.

Over 13 volts but won't start likely means a bad battery.  Could be bad
connection or bad starter, but the battery is most likely IMO.

If they have O'Reillys in your area and can limp it over there, they will
test both battery and alternator for free.  My experience has been that they
are honest about the test, and don't try to pressure you into buying from
them even if the test shows a problem (unlike some of the other stores
around here).

Pick up some battery clamps while you're there.

-- Randall  

[email-masked]