Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Trailer Deck Replacement

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 15:32:43 -0400

Interesting. Have a friend with similar trailer he uses to haul a small 
Kubota tractor on, suffering deck rot. Had not thought to use the 
composite stuff. First guess is, it's not quite as strong, but I could 
be way off. And there are many brands and formulations of composite. 
Curious to hear if anyone has solid info.
   -Wayne

On 8/13/2012 2:49 PM, John Innis wrote:
> Ok team, here is the situation.  The wood deck on my car hauler trailer is
> getting a little old.  I also have a house deck that needs to be replaced.
> The two projects got me thinking.  Could I use composite maintenance free
> product for both?  I have never seen anyone do this on a trailer, but it
> should work right?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 15:02:33 -0500

*Consider the weight, some of the composite is very heavy compared to wood.
*
On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Wayne <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Kubota tractor on, suffering deck rot. Had not thought to use the composite
> stuff. First guess is, it's not quite as strong, but I could be way off.
> And there are many brands and formulations of composite. Curious to hear if
> anyone has solid info.
>   -Wayne
>
>
>  ______________________________**_________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/shop-talk/eltonclark@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]>

[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 16:40:49 -0400

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Wayne <[email-masked]> wrote:
> First guess is, it's not quite as strong, but I could be way off.

Some years ago, we built a playground out of plastic framing and
composite decking.  The framing, which seemed to be made from old
grocery bags or something similar, has all been replaced due to
sagging.  The decking is all still good.  But it wouldn't hold a car
on 24" centers.

If you got plastic 2x lumber and put it on edge, maybe -- but not
laying flat...in short, I wouldn't waste my time.

And I'm told that composite decking retains heat a lot longer.  Dunno
if that's a myth or not.  Might be worth checking out before you build
a deck in a sunny spot.

Jeff Scarbrough
Synthetic Acres, Ga.

[email-masked]

---

From: Ronnie Day <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 15:54:11 -0500

Some years ago we bought a 5 x 12 utility trailer decked with ordinary 2 x
12s. We painted the top of the 2 x with quality exterior paint but after
two or three years sitting out with a slight tongue high angle which caused
water to drain to the back and soak the raw end grain, it was rotted out.

We replaced the original wood with treated 2 x 12 cut to length and painted
on all 6 sides thoroughly before putting them down with about 3/8 space
between them. I cut off the flat plate holding wood in the angle iron along
the back edge and drilled several holes in the corner of the angle to
minimize water sitting in there. Don't remember the total cost but it
wasn't too bad.

No problems at all since then.

FWIW,
Ron

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Elton E. (Tony) Clark <[email-masked]
> wrote:

> composite
> > options/shop-talk/eltonclark@**gmail.com<
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Dave C <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 19:55:41 -0700

In addition to the weight, composite material sags quite a bit more than 
wood.  When I had my Timber Tech deck built the joists were put on 12" 
centers.

On 8/13/2012 1:02 PM, Elton E. (Tony) Clark wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]