Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Exterior nighttime surveillance cameras?

From: "Gerald Brazil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 07:03:38 -0400

Any kid who will beat on your mailbox with a ball bat will attack your
motion-sensor camera with equal vigor....
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Battmain <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 15:31:12 -0700 (PDT)

The lower end Foscam IP cameras have been getting good reviews on Amazon. I
might end up with a few by the end of the year. I did one of the q-see
surveillance systems for my aunt's business. I discovered in the process that
the consumer grade DVR's record a really small CIF format real time video.
Small enough to be relatively useless. It will do D1 format at a slower frame
rate, but I'd rather have real time video at a higher resolution. I will most
likely get another DVR system for me before I get the IP camera, but one that
does D1 format on all channels at real time. It seems the 'elite' series of
the q-see brand does this, at higher cost of course. For best resolution, the
higher end IP camera's are the way to go, but you're gonna' pay if you go that
route and it uses a LOT of hard drive space. Comparison: 500gb hard drive with
4 CIF format and 4 D1 format camera is full in 20 days.  2TB with a few higher
end 1080p cameras will probably be
 just as long before the hard drive is full. Check youtube for some
outstanding video of those cameras.  The motion sensing for me has been
relatively useless, no matter how I adjust the sensitivity.  I get lots of
flying things and moving sun shadows. You could also test the X-10 stuff to
see if it will work for you. It didn't for me and got returned, but seems to
be working for some people. 

Regards,
Brian
>________________________________
> From: Jim Franklin
<[email-masked]>
>To: shop-talk List <[email-masked]>
>Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:36 PM
>Subject: [Shop-talk] Exterior nighttime
surveillance cameras?
> 
>I'm interested in recording any movement such as
kids driving by my mailbox
>with a baseball bat I mean seeing what wildlife
comes through my yard at
>night. Ideally it would be motion sensor activated
but with a very short
>delay, and quick recovery from headlights. Anything you
use and like?
>(snip)

[email-masked]

---

From: "gordies garage" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 19:34:36 -0400

Just do what I did, place a small mailbox inside a large mailbox and fill 
the space between with concrete.  Placed on a 4" x 6"  post, sunk in 
concrete, I've had one hit in the last 25 yrs.  I heard the "Oww, sh*t" in 
the middle of the night from that one.
Nobody has bothered to even try since.

Gordie

--------------------------------------------------
From: "Jim Franklin" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:36 PM
To: "shop-talk List" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Exterior nighttime surveillance cameras?

> I'm interested in recording any movement such as kids driving by my 
> mailbox
> with a baseball bat I mean seeing what wildlife comes through my yard at
> night. Ideally it would be motion sensor activated but with a very short
> delay, and quick recovery from headlights. Anything you use and like?
>
> thanks,
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 19:35:20 -0500

*We had a customer; fed up with having his mailbox run over by jacked up
pickup trucks, brought us a 12 foot piece of oil field drill stem to weld
 on a  mail box mount plate . . . he was gonna "wood-grain" the pipe" we
don't know the rest of the story but I have this visual image of a 4WD
Chevy impaled like a Popsicle on a stick.*
*Tony
*
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: PJ McGarvey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 21:31:39 -0400

The Foscams on Amazon are not genuine and will not get you any warranty or
support from Foscam.  Foscam.us run deals all the time for discounts on their
cameras.  I have two of them, an outdoor and an indoor.  The outdoor one
recently stopped working after a couple years of service, I've not yet
determined what the issue is... They are cheap and pretty good for the price,
however the weather might've gotten to mine despite it being mounted under an
eave - the inside of it showed no water damage when disassembled...   The
indoor one has pan and tilt as well, and I can control it all from an app on
my Android phone.
It can be finicky to configure, but the cameras take pretty good night vision
video, you can adjust brightness and contrast to help the picture.  If you
play with lens sizes you can get a wide or narrow focused view.  No zoom on
either indoor or outdoor models.  One advantage I use on the indoor camera is
that it will detect motion and can email you pictures it takes when it detects
motion, I use it sometimes when I'm away.  Can also upload pics to an FTP
site.  With some extra software you can "DVR" the video as well though I never
tried.  same for the outdoor however expect to get alot of "false positives".
Now thinking of getting an indoor camera for the inside of my garage to really
catch anyone who manages to get in, and to keep it out of the elements.
-PJ
> might end up with a few by the end of the year.

[email-masked]

---

From: Rand E <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 21:44:06 -0700 (PDT)

I had a neighbor that was tired of people running over his mailbox.  Somewhere
he got a crankshaft from a tractor.  Seems like it was a 10- or 12-cylinder
inline.  He sunk that in concrete as the post.  One night someone tried to run
his mailbox down again. They ended up being hauled of on a towtruck and the
mailbox was still standing. 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 12:22:22 -0500

Jim, Check out www.supercircuits.com, they have good and inexpensive 
cameras and recorders. They have some stand alone cameras with built-in 
recorders. They also have higher price cameras they call "license plate" 
cameras which are very low light cameras and some dynamic compression to 
block out the headlights.

I have installed 4 of their 16 channel systems  using their CD33WHR-2 
cameras 
(http://www.supercircuits.com/Security-Cameras/Dome-Security-Cameras/CD33WHR-2) 
both indoors and out. They are not the best cameras, but do the job in 
restaurants. For the license plate use, I've used their PLPC101 
(http://www.supercircuits.com/Security-Cameras/Fixed-Security-Cameras/PCLP101), 
which does not have IR illumination, but is very low light level.

They also have some packaged devices that don't look like cameras, such 
as their CVEBBD system 
(http://www.supercircuits.com/Hidden-Cameras/Fixed-Covert-Cameras/CVTEBBD) 
They may be able to customize a recorder for you.

My contact is Mindi Parsons at 1=-800-335-9777. She knows her stuff.Give 
her a call if you like, even if you don't buy from them. You can tell 
her I sent you.

These can be purchased directly, or I can order them for you if you 
decide to go with this company.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Jim Franklin, On 7/31/2012 8:36 PM:
> I'm interested in recording any movement such as kids driving by my mailbox
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>
>

-- 
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice		5026 FM 2001
[email-masked]	Lockhart, TX 78644-4443
www.hornesystemstx.com
-- We support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]