Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] wiring question

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 11:37:01 -0700

> I want to wire in an aftermarket horn on my Jeep. The wires that came 
> with the swith are 16 gauge. The Fuse link I bought to wire into this 
> set up is a thicker gauge.
> 
> Is this ok?

Not really.  The fusible link will not protect the wire.  Either use larger
wire or a smaller link.

-- Randall  
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 15:20:01 -0400

Not a dumb question at all. Neither of us bothered to look it up on the 
'net, but right off, I'd say 16 ga is too light. Wire gauge requirements 
are based on current, not voltage and I'd guess 12 or 14 ga would be 
appropriate. Low voltage systems are less efficient at transferring 
energy, and to drive the same power into a device at only 13-ish volts, 
you need proportionately more current and havier gauge wire than what 
you'd use in your home at 120V. That's why power company mains are 
cranked up to thousands or hundreds of thousands of volts for the long 
haul, then knocked down with a local transformer.

OTOH, you're presumably not gonna use it that often, and then only for a 
couple seconds at a time max, so you can probably get a way with the 
light gauge stuff. Wouldn't do it for a constant draw, like lights however.

-Wayne

On 8/19/2012 2:11 PM, Tim wrote:
> since electrickery is my most weak point I figure I should ask this
> really dumb question:
>

[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 15:36:30 -0400

> set up is a thicker gauge.

An ordinary horn appears to draw about 5-6 Amps.  In my experience,
the physical size of the fusible link won't compare to the physical
size of the normal wiring.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]