Subject: [Shop-talk] Ultrasonic leak detector?

From: Dave C <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:18:44 -0700

I recently moved my compressor out of the shop and into the tractor shed 
and ran about 30 feet of piping to connect to the new location.  All the 
piping is 3/4" copper, sweated with soft solder. I now have a slow leak 
somewhere, enough that the compressor will cycle every half hour or so.  
I'm pretty sure the leak is in the new piping because it didn't leak 
down that fast before.  Right now I have a valve where the line comes 
through the wall from the shed to the shop and I keep that closed most 
of the time, but I would like to find the leak.  I can't hear anything, 
but that isn't surprising because my hearing is nothing like it used to 
be.  I'd rather not climb around on a ten foot step ladder with a bottle 
of soap solution, either.  So, the question is, does anyone know if you 
can rent ultrasonic leak detectors?  The cheapest ones to buy are around 
$300, and I'd rather not buy one for a one-time job, since I don't do 
HVAC work.

Thanks
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Skip Albright <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 22:46:56 -0400

maybe try  a smoke generator like they used for vacuum leaks on cars?

Skip

At 10:18 PM 8/15/2012, you wrote:
>I'm pretty sure the leak is in the new piping because it didn't leak down 
>that fast before.  Right now I have a valve where the line comes through 
>the wall from the shed to the shop and I keep that closed most of the 
>time, but I would like to find the leak.  I can't hear anything, but that 
>isn't surprising because my hearing is nothing like it used to be.  I'd 
>rather not climb around on a ten foot step ladder with a bottle of soap 
>solution, either.  So, the question is, does anyone know if you can rent 
>ultrasonic leak detectors?  The cheapest ones to buy are around $300, and 
>I'd rather not buy one for a one-time job, since I don't do HVAC work.
>
>Thanks
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Suggested annual donation  $12.96
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]