Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] OT hep with ants PLEASE

From: Tim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 12:33:21 -0400 (EDT)

Guess I may have misunderstood mark's post. I assumed he was getting 
complaints, off list, about OT posts.

Back to my issue....

I have tried baits. The peanut butter based one I used was drawing bugs 
of all sorts including one beatle that got it's head stuck in the trap 
and there it died. I will look for the other types/brands suggested.

Cream of wheat? OK, I have enough hills to deal with, I will test this 
method on one of them.

As for the torch suggestion, I have one hill that is thriving around and 
under my fire pit so not sure how effective fire would be. But, I will 
say this, IF I resort to this method, it won't be with a torch, I would 
pour gas and then be able to stand back and light a "fuse". Hell, I have 
enough hills, I will gas one as well.

I was told boiling water works. Any one ever heard of this method?

I am also tempter to dig one out, into my wheel barrow, until I find the 
heart of the nest and then the queen. I could then use the torch to kill 
the little bastards as they swarm out of the piles in the wheel 
barrow.....bwaahahaahahaahahaah fire fire!

Thanks everyone!
tim

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 7:51 PM, Mark J Bradakis wrote:

> I'll say that folks don't need to flag postings that are not about 
> cars
> as off topic.  We cover a LOT of ground on this list.  The combined
> knowledge of the subscribers is pretty impressive.  I may even be
> posting about my old Craftsman electric lawn mower soon, it kissed
> the turf today.
>
> Sorry I can't help with the ants, though.  I can help with Team.Net,
> updated
>
> http://www.team.net/status.html
>
>
> mjb.
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: Shannah Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 10:51:45 -0700

BBQ at Tim's house!

OK, I'll come clean: I suggested the Cream of Wheat because it has
actually worked for me.  I have no idea what the mechanism is, but
pouring a box of dry Cream of Wheat on an anthill was amazingly
effective.  I did one application, and it reduced the number of ants by
about 90%.  I can only imagine what more than one application would
do.

Shannah

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Tim <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I have tried baits. The peanut butter based one I used was drawing bugs of
> all sorts including one beatle that got it's head stuck in the trap and
> there it died. I will look for the other types/brands suggested.
>
> under my fire pit so not sure how effective fire would be. But, I will say
> this, IF I resort to this method, it won't be with a torch, I would pour
gas
> and then be able to stand back and light a "fuse". Hell, I have enough
> hills, I will gas one as well.
>
the
> little bastards as they swarm out of the piles in the wheel
>> I'll say that folks don't need to flag postings that are not about cars
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Karl Vacek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 13:22:54 -0500

Might be an old wives' tale, but it seems to work for us.  Our area is
incredibly sandy - 18+ inches of black top soil on at least 12 feet of sand,
and the ants love it - they come into the house every few months through
floor slab cracks in hidden areas.  We put corn meal out and they do indeed
disappear in a few days.  The story is that ants eat corn meal but can't
digest it, and eventually die from lack of nutrition.

Seems to work for us, though it's not all that fast and mainly kills the
ones who eat it - don't know how much they carry back to the nest before
they die.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "gordies garage" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 19:34:15 -0400

I have used Maxforce ant gel before with good success.  Just recently, I had 
several rather large anthills in the front yard.  I happened to have some 
leftover carpenter ant gel in a syringe that is injected through drywall 
next to studs.  I simply dripped some of the gel where they couldn't miss 
it.  A week later, all the ant hills are gone, at least for now.  I know 
they will be back, but even my stale, 2 yr old gel took out a couple of very 
large colonies.
Available many places including 
here...http://www.pestproductsonline.com/products/Maxforce_Ant_Killer_Bait_Gel_4_30_gm_tubes-81-0.html

HTH

Gordie

--------------------------------------------------
From: "Tim" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2012 12:33 PM
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] OT hep with ants PLEASE

> gas and then be able to stand back and light a "fuse". Hell, I have enough 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Paul Parkanzky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 21:13:30 -0400

I'm a big believer in Terro ant killer.  Anytime we have ants I put a couple
of caps full out and they're all gone in a few days.

-Paul

several rather large anthills in the front yard.  I happened to have some
leftover carpenter ant gel in a syringe that is injected through drywall next
to studs.  I simply dripped some of the gel where they couldn't miss it.  A
week later, all the ant hills are gone, at least for now.  I know they will be
back, but even my stale, 2 yr old gel took out a couple of very large
colonies.
> Available many places including
here...http://www.pestproductsonline.com/products/Maxforce_Ant_Killer_Bait_Ge
l_4_30_gm_tubes-81-0.html
>> I have tried baits. The peanut butter based one I used was drawing bugs of
all sorts including one beatle that got it's head stuck in the trap and there
it died. I will look for the other types/brands suggested.
method on one of them.
under my fire pit so not sure how effective fire would be. But, I will say
this, IF I resort to this method, it won't be with a torch, I would pour gas
and then be able to stand back and light a "fuse". Hell, I have enough hills,
I will gas one as well.
>> I am also tempter to dig one out, into my wheel barrow, until I find the
heart of the nest and then the queen. I could then use the torch to kill the
little bastards as they swarm out of the piles in the wheel
barrow.....bwaahahaahahaahahaah fire fire!
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Eric J Russell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 21:51:18 -0400

Cement? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLHAdwxLD-I 

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]