Subject: [Shop-talk] 12x16 storage shed, where to put door?

From: cornerexit <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 10:14:51 -0700

I'm building a 12x16 storage shed on skids on some undeveloped property to
store miscellaneous tools and such in while I develop the homesite and
shopsite on the property. May end up using it to store an atv at some point
also. This will be the only structure on the property for some time and will
probably need to pull double duty as a small workshop (mostly just a small
work bench) as well as for storage. There will be no power to the shed
initially. May try and outfit it with some solar lighting but the property
is mostly forest so I don't know how that will work. There will be generator
power on site.

As the site is developed I suspect the shed will transition to more of a
lawn and garden type shed for a riding lawnmower and related gardening
items, etc. 

I purchased some $17 plans which are pretty compressive and include a
complete materials list. It has 8' walls (I'm pretty tall and hate hitting
my head) a gable roof with the peak running along the 16' dimension. The
skids also run along the 16' dimension. 

The door (double door with 6' width) can be installed along the 12'
dimension or the 16' dimension.

I'm leaning towards putting the door along the 16' dimension as it may mean
easier access to items in the shed. I'm a bit worried that a door along the
12' dimension would result in difficult to access items that are buried in
the 16' deep shed. Also, the open doors on the 12' side might allow more
natural light into the shed.

Where would you put the door?

Thanks

Wayne
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: "John Niolon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 12:39:23 -0500

if you're building from scratch... I'd put the wide door in the 12' end. (6' 
minimum -- 8' better).. that way you can drive in the atv or zero turn and 
park it..   THEN put an additional walk door (36" or 48") in the long wall 
so you have access to the entire shed from the side while the mower/atv is 
parked... no climbing or tripping or hunting...   couldn't cost much more 
than a set of hinges and some locking mechanism...

I'd also place it and  paint it to blend in with the surroundings to make it 
less noticeable and put some secure cross  bars (2) on the inside of the 
doors if possible...well... one door will have to be barred from the outside 
won't it ? :-)  It's amazing how much work someone will put into stealing 
things.  No windows or if you do add bars there also...

regular passage locks are a waste... and give up easily to a large pair of 
channel locks or a pipe wrench... might as well leave it open...1/2" x 3 or 
4" flat bar secured in saddles made from the same material  ... heavy non 
exposed hardware (weld the mounting bolts to the back of the saddles and 
mount them thru the long side of the studs... and serious locks  with some 
cut proof covers (lock inside a tube)... and that won't be enough to stop a 
determined thief with battery operated tools.

just some ideas
john
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "cornerexit" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 12:14 PM
Subject: [Shop-talk] 12x16 storage shed, where to put door?

> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]