Subject: [Shop-talk] Best paint for concrete block

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 14:46:59 -0400

Hi Guys,

My Dad bought a new house recently, with 2 car garage / shop / basement on the lower level.

He wants to paint the concrete block walls for better lighting (reflectivity) and aesthetics. One wall is below grade, but has no signs of any moisture seepage in its 20 years, and the other is above (walk out.)

What's the best kind of paint to use? I am NOT a fan of the "DryLok" stuff, and moisture isn't an issue anyway. Is something like a plain semi-gloss latex a good choice?

-Wayne
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 15:11:42 -0400

I'd love to know, too.  I have some concrete block walls in my garage I'd
love to paint.
I often see painted concrete block walls in schools and other institutional
buildings
where the paint is in perfect shape even after many years.  It always seems
to
be a tough old-school oil-based paint.

Doug

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Wayne <[email-masked]> wrote:

> He wants to paint the concrete block walls for better lighting
> (reflectivity) and aesthetics. One wall is below grade, but has no signs of
> any moisture seepage in its 20 years, and the other is above (walk out.)
>
> What's the best kind of paint to use? I am NOT a fan of the "DryLok"
> stuff, and moisture isn't an issue anyway. Is something like a plain
> semi-gloss latex a good choice?
>
> -Wayne
> ______________________________**_________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/shop-talk/doug@**dougbraun.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]>

[email-masked]

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 15:14:52 -0500

On May 24, 2012, at 1:46 PM, Wayne <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
>
> What's the best kind of paint to use? I am NOT a fan of the "DryLok" stuff,
and moisture isn't an issue anyway. Is something like a plain semi-gloss latex
a good choice?

No.  It's not. After you've thoroughly washed the walls and allowed to dry,
use a primer specially designed for concrete. Then you paint. Best results
will come from using a tip coat that matches the primer.  Pay attention to the
directions, some systems want you to wait between coats.

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 17:29:36 -0400

About 12  years ago I painted the exterior of my concrete block buildings 
with HD Bear exterior latex paint.  I did prime it with a primer for 
concrete block first (I don't know the brand or name, it was recommended 
by the guy at HD.)

I applied 1 coat of primer, and 2 coats of paint with a paint sprayer.  It 
still looks good today.

I would imagine that no matter what paint you go with, make sure you clean 
AND PRIME the block first.  That would be the most productive way to do 
it.

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 

Wayne <[email-masked]> 
Sent by: [email-masked]
05/24/2012 14:42

To
Shop Talk List <[email-masked]>
cc

Subject
[Shop-talk] Best paint for concrete block

Hi Guys,

My Dad bought a new house recently, with 2 car garage / shop / basement on 
the lower level.

He wants to paint the concrete block walls for better lighting 
(reflectivity) and aesthetics. One wall is below grade, but has no signs 
of any moisture seepage in its 20 years, and the other is above (walk 
out.)

-Wayne

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]