Subject: [Shop-talk] Locking Hinge?

From: David Hillman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 21:13:08 -0400 (EDT)

I have a shop project ( <-content ) I want to build, but I need a pair 
of hinges for it.  It seems like I should be able to find something 
similar and repurpose it, since my requirements are not overly-specific, 
but I can't.  I may not be looking in the right places.

    I need to join two elements, let's say 1" square steel tubes, although 
that's negotiable, end-to-end, like the bones of a human arm ( pretending 
the radius and ulna are one bone, for the moment ).  The key is, when 
extended, I need it to lock automatically ( manual release is fine ).  I 
think I could build it, if necessary, but first, can I buy something like 
this?  Doesn't need to be massively strong, say, 200 pounds load would be 
very safe.  90* bend would be nice, but anything more than 45* could 
probably be made to work.

    McMaster and other typical sources don't seem to have anything, but 
again, I might be missing it.

    Thanks for any brain storms you might have.

--
  David Hillman
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: "Lee Hart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 21:40:39 -0700

David Hillman:
> I have a shop project ( <-content ) I want to build, but I
need a pair of hinges for it.
> It seems like I should be able to find something similar
and repurpose it, since my
> requirements are not overly-specific, but I can't.  I may
not be looking in the right places.

> I need to join two elements, let's say 1" square steel
tubes, although that's negotiable,
> end-to-end, like the bones of a human arm ( pretending the
radius and ulna are one
> bone, for the moment ).  The key is, when extended, I need
it to lock automatically
> ( manual release is fine ).  I think I could build it, if
necessary, but first, can I buy
> something like this?

Something like the locking hinges in a folding ladder?

<http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GQ8WS8>

Depending on the value of your time it may make sense to buy
one (perhaps used on a Craigslist or ebay) and cut it up.

Lee

[email-masked]

---

From: David Hillman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 02:27:51 -0400 (EDT)

> one (perhaps used on a Craigslist or ebay) and cut it up.

    You know, that might work.  And I have one of those ladders, already, 
although I do use it from time to time.

    Thanks.

[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 07:45:53 -0700

David - If you want it to just stop at the open 180 degree level, you 
could use a piece of bar stock on one side and angle iron on the other. 
Round the end of the bar stock and have the pivot at the end. Put the 
pivot a couple inches back on the angle iron. When flat, the bar will 
hit the edge of the angle and stop. You could also do this with nested 
square tubes. Just cut off one side from the larger one a few inches back.

You could make it lock by adding a sleeve with a spring that slides over 
the joint.

Brian

On 5/16/2012 6:13 PM, David Hillman wrote:
> similar and repurpose it, since my requirements are not 
> overly-specific, but I can't. I may not be looking in the right places.
>
> that's negotiable, end-to-end, like the bones of a human arm ( 
> pretending the radius and ulna are one bone, for the moment ). The key 
> is, when extended, I need it to lock automatically ( manual release is 
> fine ). I think I could build it, if necessary, but first, can I buy 
> something like this? Doesn't need to be massively strong, say, 200 
> pounds load would be very safe. 90* bend would be nice, but anything 
> more than 45* could probably be made to work.
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]