Subject: [Shop-talk] Bio diesel question.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 22:14:50 -0400

I know lots of people burn used cooking oil in diesel vehicles.

And since my oil heat is basically diesel fuel, my question is...

Can I burn used cooking oil in my home heating oil tank?  If so, what do I 
need to do with first?

For some background, I have two 360 gal tanks, and I'm only talking about 
maybe a gallon of used cooking oil per month or two.

Also, I have my unit serviced every year.

Thanks. (anything I can do to save some money is helpful!)

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 13:49:42 -0400

> I guess my question is, will I hurt anything if I drain (filtered) used
> cooking oil into my heat oil tank?
>
> This is mostly for a 'clean' way to dispose of the oil, and if I save a
> few pennies (and don't hurt the burner) that's a bonus. 

I *assume* it won't hurt - in the same way adding a couple of gallons 
of most anything that'll sort of burn into a few hundred gallons of 
fuel oil 'won't hurt'. But I'm not sure why you'd bother. Why not give 
it to someone who does make BioDiesel or drives a vehicle converted to 
burn cooking oil?

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

[email-masked]