Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Bio diesel question.

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 18:48:59 GMT

>From what I understand about "greasecars" that simply burn old fryer oil; you
get them up and running with the normal diesel fuel system and have a means of
warming the grease via engine heat, then you can switch over to the warmed
grease.  Then a few miles from your destination, you switch back to the diesel
to purge the grease from the system before shutting down. I would be concerned
about just dumping vegetable oil into my heating oil tank as I doubt it would
mix. But if you try it, let us know how it works out! I heard a story that a
fellow gear head once worked for Johnson and Johnson and occasionally ran his
diesel car on baby oil...
Matt

---------- Original Message ----------
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Bio diesel question.
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 12:39:49 -0400

I guess my question is, will I hurt anything if I drain (filtered) used
cooking oil into my heat oil tank?

This is mostly for a 'clean' way to dispose of the oil, and if I save a
few pennies (and don't hurt the burner) that's a bonus.

So it is sounding like this is a possible way to go then, correct?

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph
Waldo Emerson

[email-masked]
05/13/2012 12:14
Please respond to
[email-masked]

To
<[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
cc

Subject
Re: [Shop-talk] Bio diesel question.

BioDiesel is not simply burning used cooking oil - it is processed into
a form usable in a conventional diesel engine. The process of
converting used cooking oil into BioDiesel makes it cost more than
conventional diesel. It is probably a Good Thing environmentally but
not from a strictly economical viewpoint. I believe there are ways to
convert a diesel engine to run on used cooking oil but that wasn't your
question...

I would assume that you could 'dispose' of a few gallons of used
cooking oil by diluting it in a few hundred gallons of fuel oil. But it
doesn't seem like that was your question either...

What was your question...?

Oh - saving some money. I doubt that a few gallons of used cooking oil
in your home heating system is going to save any money unless it is
very expensive to otherwise dispose of it.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

Quoting [email-masked]:
> I know lots of people burn used cooking oil in diesel vehicles.
>
> And since my oil heat is basically diesel fuel, my question is...
>
> Can I burn used cooking oil in my home heating oil tank?  If so, what do
I
> need to do with first?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: Paul Parkanzky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 16:45:26 -0400

I used to work for a company that made baby oil and would occasionally run my
diesel car (a '00 TDI Jetta) on "scrap."  Baby oil is almost pure light
mineral oil with a trace of perfume and/or a bit of vitamin or aloe.  As a
matter of fact, I we took a ~1500 mile drive for a vacation on nothing but
baby oil that I'd saved up for the trip (Just to see if I could).  No ill
effects on the car.  I sold it to a friend and it's still going strong at
>300,000 miles.

-Paul

On May 13, 2012, at 6:48 PM, "Matt" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I heard a story that a

[email-masked]