Subject: [Shop-talk] OT hep with ants PLEASE

From: Tim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 18:20:24 -0400 (EDT)

I have half a dozen or more ant 'hills' in my back yard; a yard that is 
only about 75x100 feet at best. They are about a half inch and black. I 
may have seen a white spot on the back end of one of the colony's 
inhabitants. Are these carpenter ants? I don't get them in my house.

How can I get rid of these damn things? I have taken "Seven" ant poison, 
mixed a few gallons, stuck a shovel into the middle of this one hill 
(more than twice over the years) and exposed the middle of the colony 
and dumped the contents of the bucket into the heart of the nest. This 
hill is still thriving years later after doing this a few times over the 
past few years.

I know you have to kill the queen to kill the nest but what the heck can 
I do?

thanks!
tim
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: "Gerald Brazil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 20:06:40 -0400

What about a smoke bomb like you use for moles?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 17:12:34 -0700

Tim - I have had best luck with ant baits.  Which ones depend on the 
specific ants, so you may have to try several.  The ants come out and 
get the poison on them then take it back to the nest.  It takes a few 
days to a week to work, but it eventually get there when you find the 
right one.  Set the bait right next to one of their paths.  I like the 
clear baits so you can see it gets ants and see when it is empty.  If a 
bait empties and you still have ants, add another bait.

The ants at my previous house liked the Zep or Enforcer baits that had a 
peanut butter like substance in the middle.  The ants I had at my 
current house liked the Hot Shot Liquid from Home Depot, Store SKU # 
959786.  The nice thing about the clear containers is that you can see 
they are working.

If you have them in the house around where small kids go, use Windex.  
It kills quick and keeps them away for a few days.

Brian

On 5/13/2012 3:20 PM, Tim wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 19:14:38 -0500

A fella on another forum once posted:

*"Take your acceytlene welding torch and adjust the flame for a good medium
neutral flame and mark the valve positions.  *
*Extinguish the flame and turn on the gases to the proper marks and stick
the tip down the ant hole and let it flow several minutes . . . arrange the
hoses so you can light the torch and drag it back over the ant hole to
ignite the gas you've injected.  Stand 'way back.  Donno if it really kills
queen, larvae and everything but it sure is fun!"*
**
*Remember that it was SOME OTHER GUY who made the suggestion.*
**
*Tony*
**
**
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 18:51:57 -0600

I'll say that folks don't need to flag postings that are not about cars
as off topic.  We cover a LOT of ground on this list.  The combined
knowledge of the subscribers is pretty impressive.  I may even be
posting about my old Craftsman electric lawn mower soon, it kissed
the turf today.

Sorry I can't help with the ants, though.  I can help with Team.Net,
updated

http://www.team.net/status.html

mjb.

[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 19:02:33 -0700

For those so inclined to blow up their yard, see
http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-care.com/gopher-blaster.html

If I didn't live is a high fire danger area and have the septic tank in 
the middle of the infestation, I'd really be tempted.

Brian

[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 19:18:24 -0700

> Tim - I have had best luck with ant baits. 

Ditto.

> The ants at my previous house liked the Zep or Enforcer baits 

Mine too.  They won't touch anything else.  None of the local stores carry
them, but Amazon does
http://goo.gl/nd8su

As noted, the secret is that it doesn't kill them right away.  That means
they carry it back to the nest and feed the queen.  By the time it starts to
work, she has already ingested a lethal dose.

But I only put down baits indoors or next to the house.  I don't mind if
they stay in the yard, just don't want them inside the house.

-- Randall  

[email-masked]

---

From: Wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 22:48:02 -0400

> may have seen a white spot on the back end of one of the colony's

If they're that bad, call an exterminator. There are probably a lot more 
than what you can see! When I lived in Ohio, the bugs (like summer 
mosquitoes) were just annoying. 11 years now in North Caroline on 
heavily wooded land, they're BAD if you don't put down some heavy duty 
stuff to whack them!

The exterminators around here typically want you to sign up for an 
annual contract or plan for four applications a year. I pay $250/annual 
for it. Most common is an insecticide "Talstar" they is sprayed up the 
exterior foundation and walls, and 10 or so feet out into the yard. You 
can buy and apply it yourself, unlike some more heavily regulated 
chemicals. The local Southern States Store has it for $35/qt or you can 
order from Amazon. But as pricey as it is, I'm willing to pay to let 
someone else handle the toxic stuff!

It's been highly effective at keeping spiders, ants, gnats, etc out of 
the house and substantially reducing them outside.

-Wayne

[email-masked]