Subject: [Shop-talk] keyboard help

From: "John Niolon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 16:41:19 -0500

my work involves a lot of excel work and similar data being copy and pasted
from one sheet to another...  my old keyboard had programmable keys and I use
a left handed mouse.  I programmed two unused keys on the right side with
<ctrl> c and <ctrl> v.  I'd highlight the date with the mouse in my left
hand... hit the reprogrammed copy key...switch sheets and hit the paste key...
slick, fast and easy..

new keyboard is a microsoft wireless and while it does have a 'program'
function..., it will only move keys around and not let you actually input keys
to program to that key.  None of the programs I've found on line allow  the
user to type in control functions and map it to a key...

anyone have any suggestions ???   years ago I had a Gateway computer with a
keyboard utility that actually recorded keystrokes to a key similar to a macro
I guess...

I'm not a macro writer and don't want to be... I just want to put <ctrl> c and
<ctrl> v on some keys and get on with my life...  it's cumbersome for a left
handed person to enter those combos with their right hand...

help ???

tia
john

I'm sarcastic... what's your superpower ?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: "John Niolon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 17:51:01 -0500

thanks Shannah,,,

strangest thing... I played with the Microsoft keyboard mapper under control 
panel for over an hour this a.m. and couldn't make the changes stick... it 
would show as reprogrammed, but when I went to excel... no new 
reprogramming.... this time it worked, must be the super moon.

so now the "lower volume" key is <ctrl> c and 'raise volume' is <ctrl> v
so now the "lower volume" key is <ctrl> c and 'raise volume' is <ctrl> v
so now the "lower volume" key is <ctrl> c and 'raise volume' is <ctrl> v
so now the "lower volume" key is <ctrl> c and 'raise volume' is <ctrl> v

see ???   thanks for your magical control of my keyboard... it's gonna make 
my life ssooo much easier now

john
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Shannah Miller" <[email-masked]>
To: "John Niolon" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2012 5:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] keyboard help

A keyboard with a Synaptics touchpad in it will allow you to use 
programmable
touch zones for that sort of thing.

Alternately, this article from Microsoft support seems to apply:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/237179

although I wouldn't be surprised if this only works with Microsoft
branded keyboards.

Shannah

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 2:41 PM, John Niolon <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Todd Walke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 16:01:04 -0700

I use a Gateway AnyKey keyboard.  It has the macro feature 
built-in to the keyboard.  The macro feature allows you to program any key 
with any combination of characters you wish.  It uses the PS2 interface 
plug, not USB.  It has worked on every computer I've built and OS's up to 
WinXP.
         I love it so much I've kept it since it came on a Gateway computer 
I bought back in '91 or so.  I also like it because it has a pretty good 
feel to the keys.  Many new el-cheapo keyboards have crappy feel and are 
difficult to type on.  If you want a beautiful keyboard for typing, an IBM 
Model M has the best key feel of any keyboard ever made.

         Anykey keyboards were manufactured by MaxiSwitch for Gateway.  My 
part number is 2189014.  Google keywords: AnyKey, Maxiswitch or Gateway 
2189014, there are some out there for sale.

         As a warning, there are similar looking Gateway keyboards, the 
distinguishing feature of an AnyKey keyboard is a row of 4 keys in the 
upper right labeled Program Macro, Suspend Macro, Repeat Rate and Remap.

         Here is one on eBay:

<http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261015353866>

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 275,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       340,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a new 
home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 19:13:14 -0400

You can add registry entries to remap any key to a different keycode.
I have added one to my PC to disable the caps lock key, which I hit
accidentally
far more often than deliberately.

Hopefully there is some simple app that will accomplish that more easily
than researching the correct
keywords and codes you need to do it manually.  In any case, you certainly
don't need
a special keyboard.

Doug

[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 17:11:38 -0700

John - You could do it all with the mouse and skip the keyboard.  Right 
click the cell to select it and bring up the mouse menu.  Mouse over 
copy and left click.  Go to the new cell, right click and select paste 
from the mouse menu.  Since this is for Excel, you can also hit the 
enter key to paste.  This works in Excel 2010.  Other programs may 
require you to highlight the text or data first with the left mouse 
button before you can copy, but with a full cell in Excel, you can skip 
that step.  I think you will find that faster than crtl-c/v.

You can also move the mouse to your right hand.  I'm right handed, but 
on two of my work computers, I use a left mouse because I use a lot of 
keypad entry.   With a right mouse, I'd have to constantly move my right 
hand between the keypad and the mouse.  With the left mouse, I can move 
the mouse and enter numbers without extra hand movement.    Try it for a 
few days to get used to it.  After a while, you don't notice a difference.

Brian

On 5/6/2012 2:41 PM, John Niolon wrote:
> <ctrl>  c and<ctrl>  v.  I'd highlight the date with the mouse in my left
> I'm not a macro writer and don't want to be... I just want to put<ctrl>  c and
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 18:13:07 -0700

> keywords and codes

Here's one that looks interesting:
http://goo.gl/U4Vx1

Some more:
http://goo.gl/YmyXl

And even more, including some that allow macros to be easily attached to
certain keys:
http://goo.gl/iZJDb

-- Randall  

[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 21:20:40 -0400

> far more often than deliberately.

I'd be interested in learning how to do that.  Neanderthal that I am,
I just pried the "Caps Lock" key off the keyboard and put it in a
drawer.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mike Sinclair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 21:19:12 -0700

I also am right-handed, but use the mouse with my left hand for the same 
reason.  I taught myself to "ten-key" using the number pad, and after a 
short time, it is second nature.  There is even a second Enter key at the 
number pad.  I'm so used to doing it this way, that it is now difficult to 
use the mouse with the right hand.  I recommend it.

Mike

>
> You can also move the mouse to your right hand.  I'm right handed, but on 
> two of my work computers, I use a left mouse because I use a lot of keypad 
> entry.   With a right mouse, I'd have to constantly move my right hand 
> between the keypad and the mouse.  With the left mouse, I can move the 
> mouse and enter numbers without extra hand movement.    Try it for a few 
> days to get used to it.  After a while, you don't notice a difference.
>
> Brian 

[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 07:13:33 -0400

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 8:11 PM, Brian Kemp <[email-masked]> wrote:
> between the keypad and the mouse.

With a USB mouse, you can have more than one connected.  Switch back
and forth, depending on the task.

When you're in the shop, you can have a clean mouse and a greasy mouse...

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 07:36:38 -0700

A second mouse is also a fun practical joke in the office if you have 
computers near each other.  Slowly move the second mouse and watch the 
confusion on the user.   If you can see the screen, randomly open 
desktop icons.  I imagine the current wireless mice make this even easier.

Brian

On 5/7/2012 4:13 AM, Jeff Scarbrough wrote:
> On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 8:11 PM, Brian Kemp<[email-masked]>  wrote:

[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 12:22:18 -0700

> and forth, depending on the task.

Maybe it depends on version of Windoze, or version of mouse.  But when I
tried to connect both a USB mouse and my USB trackball, it didn't work.

FWIW, I'm right handed, but use the mouse left handed to reduce the load on
my right hand.  I was getting pain that I suspected was related to carpal
tunnel syndrome, and it slowly got better after switching the mouse to the
left.  I pound buttons for a living though, I doubt a more casual user would
have a problem.

-- Randall 

[email-masked]

---

From: "John Niolon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 17:17:06 -0500

thanks guys for all the suggestions... all of the commercial (read $$$) 
software I found would let you swap one key for another and several totally 
ignored the 'extra' keys.  I wanted to just remap two of the extras to 
copy/paste.   I finally got the microsoft keyboard software to work and it's 
been working properly all day...

didn't want to get into macro or script writing... wanted something quick 
and dirty and got it....

thanks for the help..  now if some of you would like to come on over and 
help with this mountain of paperwork... I can give you the address to 
mapquest...

thanks
John

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'shop-talk'" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2012 8:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] keyboard help

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "David C." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 19:00:29 -0700

I dunno.  I'm right handed but I have been mousing left handed for over 
15 years.  If I go back to a right handed mouse for any length of time I 
get tendinitis in my right hand/wrist pretty soon.  It drives my 
coworkers and the IS people nuts.

[email-masked]