Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air hose reel opinions

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 17:37:14 GMT

I have the same manual one as Mark and it works fine.If not the same as the
retractable it is a clone - may have come from Homier vice HF but it is cheap
chinese.They both work fine for what I need. My only concession is I have a
few ball valves in the shop that allow me to control/isolate legs.  I
generally turn the compressor and main ball valve offtill I need to do work
because there are small leaks and I don't want the compressor to cycle several
times a day forever. MB

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Mark Andy <[email-masked]>

I wasn't going to suggest it since the OP had a bad experience, but I have
this reel:

http://www.harborfreight.com/100-ft-steel-air-hose-reel-46342.html

I also have this one in the trailer:

http://www.harborfreight.com/50-ft-retractable-air-water-hose-reel-with-3-8-e
ighth-inch-hose-93897.html

Its fine.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: "David C." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 19:43:19 -0700

I have 3 of the generic HF retractable reels in my shop.  They've been 
there for several years with no problems other than one of them 
springing a leak on the hose that connects the reel to the main air 
line.  Mine don't get daily use, but they seem to be holding up fine for 
weekend and summer use.

Like Matt, I normally keep the ball valve on the tank discharge closed 
unless I'm actually using the air for something, as there are enough 
tiny leaks in various QD and other fittings that the compressor would 
cycle about once an hour otherwise.  (For the record, I have a 60 gallon 
two cylinder (NOT two stage) 5 HP vertical model from Home Depot and it 
has worked great for five or six years, even with my HF blast cabinet.)

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 00:15:43 -0400

Here's a tip:  After a few years, the last few feet of my reel's air hose
stared getting beat up.  So I swapped the hose end-for-end on the reel.
The beat-up end moved to the inside of the reel, where nothing ever happens
to it, and the end that gets handled became fresh.  You have to do this
carefully, to avoid losing the correct spring tension when the hose is off
the reel.

Doug

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:43 PM, David C. <[email-masked]> wrote:

> there for several years with no problems other than one of them springing a
> leak on the hose that connects the reel to the main air line.  Mine don't
> get daily use, but they seem to be holding up fine for weekend and summer
> use.
>
> unless I'm actually using the air for something, as there are enough tiny
> leaks in various QD and other fittings that the compressor would cycle
> about once an hour otherwise.  (For the record, I have a 60 gallon two
> cylinder (NOT two stage) 5 HP vertical model from Home Depot and it has
> worked great for five or six years, even with my HF blast cabinet.)

[email-masked]