Subject: [Shop-talk] oil

From: "Mike Sinclair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 13:05:48 -0700

My ancient small air compressor has a plug to check the oil.  I haven't used
it a lot lately, and decided to check the oil level, which is fine,
but.........seems to me I used to have a small container of "compressor oil"
for refilling, but of course, can't find it.  Is this a special oil, or would
any "motor oil" of the proper weight do?

Mike
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 14:23:21 -0600

I am fairly sure that it is just 30 weight non-detergent motor oil.

I better check the level in my compressor this afternoon.

On another note, while working on one problem I accidently caused
another, as anyone who  tried to get to the forums, the mailman admin
page, the donate link or whatever during the last 12 hours or so would 
know.

The server is now responding, though the problems I was working on are 
still
unresolved.  I'd rather be at The Mitty!

mjb.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Jack Brooks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 16:06:45 -0700

On my compressor it was simply motor oil.  I inquired about using Mobil 1
and they were OK with it.  I broke it in on Dino juice, the switched over to
synthetic, so I'm 99% sure your manufacturer would be OK with motor oil.
Call the manufacturer if you are concerned.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mike Sinclair
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2012 1:06 PM
To: Shop Talk
Subject: [Shop-talk] oil

for refilling, but of course, can't find it.  Is this a special oil, or
would

Mike

[email-masked]
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 19:48:27 -0400

The manual for my full-size compressor says to use "SAE-30 API CG/CD Heavy
Duty" oil.
The manual for a little compressor I have says the same, but also
"non-detergent".

I have always used that type of oil from Pep Boys, etc., never special
compressor oil.

Doug

[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 18:46:06 -0700

> The manual for a little compressor I have says the same, but also

That's curious.  I was under the impression that API standards CD and CG
required detergents.

Anyway, my full-size compressor says to use "CE or better" but then warns
that "multi-viscosity oils will shorten compressor life".

A little poking around on IR's web site reveals that they are so proud of
their synthetic compressor oil that they double the warranty on the
compressor if you use it.

http://tinyurl.com/7b6lfjn

-- Randall  

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 17:02:13 -0400

I once read some compressor manual that said to avoid multi-viscosity or
detergent oils (one or the other, but I forget which) because they would
cause carbon deposits to build up on the reed valves.  That sounded a bit
odd to me, since there is no combustion happening...

Doug

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]