Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] Rear end swap for a 53 Chevy Truck 3100

From: Mike J <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 16:17:59 -0600

Seventeen years ago I installed an '84 Pontiac Parisienne rear in my '48 
3100. Even though the donor was a "big" car, the rear was too narrow. 
Easy fix, just use spacers or custom back-space wheels. I now have a '68 
Cutlass "12-bolt cover, 10-bolt carrier" rear in the truck. It's a 2.56 
rear, which is too tall for my 700-R4 with "normal" diameter tires, 
except my +.030 455 has enough torque to pull it. Here's the rub, both 
rears were a pain to prepare for installation because of the suspension 
brackets. Also they are 4.75" BC, which was great for me, but you might 
want 6-bolt wheels. For you I suggest a 4WD S-10/15 rear. Remember to 
use spacers or get custom wheels made.
Mike Jensen

On 10.07.2014 13:27, Rodney Brown wrote:
> I plan to swap the original closed drive rear end to a more modern one.  I have read a lot and can't decide which is the easiest and most simple one to go with. My original is 62 ".  Ford?, Chevy? which one and what has to be done with the one I use to make it work?<a href="https://overview.mail.yahoo.com?.src=iOS"><br/><br/>Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad</a>
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/oletrucks/[email-masked]

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Robert Swanson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 16:32:28 -0700

Mike,
	What a coincidence!  I have a 55 Chev Cameo, and in 1968, I swapped the
engine, transmission, and rear end into the truck from a 1960 Pontiac
Parisienne.  ( for our southern friends, just think Chevy with a Pontiac
nameplate).  I solved the width problem by using chrome reversed wheels,
but I was still left with the problem of six stud on the front and 5 on
the rear.  I solved the problem by finding the drums and backing plates
off the front of a 54 Chev car, and converted everything to 5 bolt.
	I am not crazy about spacers.  I have used them, and with ordinary
highway driving, I ended up losing a wheel because of broken studs.  The
only way I would go this route, would be to have the hubs drilled for
larger wheel bolts.
	I know they are getting expensive, but an older Ford 9" will fit
without the requirement to change the width.   The newer 9 inch rearends
are more plentiful, but they will need to be narrowed.
This will give the flexibility of putting in whatever ratio your heart
desires.
	For completeness, I am now running a 454 big block, TH400, Hon-o_drive
overdrive, and a Blazer rearend with 3.73 gears.  I am going to
re-install a stock 1/2 ton rear end, just because I have one and it is
close to the same ration.  To solve the reliability problem, I will not
be mounting fat tires back on the truck.
Bob
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Steve Andereggen Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 13:11:30 -0700

To All,
I used a rear end out of a Chevy S-10 ZR-2 and is the correct width so no 
spacers or wheels needed. Just relocate the spring hangers. It also has disc 
brakes and limited slip differential. Just make sure it is a ZR-2 and you 
are set.

Steve A.

-----Original Message----- 
From: Mike J
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2014 3:17 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] Rear end swap for a 53 Chevy Truck 3100

On 10.07.2014 13:27, Rodney Brown wrote:
> I plan to swap the original closed drive rear end to a more modern one.  I 
> have read a lot and can't decide which is the easiest and most simple one 
> to go with. My original is 62 ".  Ford?, Chevy? which one and what has to 
> be done with the one I use to make it work?<a 
> href="https://overview.mail.yahoo.com?.src=iOS"><br/><br/>Sent from Yahoo 
> Mail for iPad</a>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/oletrucks/[email-masked]

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus 
protection is active.
http://www.avast.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/oletrucks/[email-masked] 

---

[email-masked]