Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] My truck rides like a rough riding truck

From: GALE GORMAN <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 12:53:35 -0500

I wouldn't bet on the '74 weighing much more.

There are more expensive and MUCH BETTER ways to lower the front than
shortening the coil spring.

The '74 springs changed from the factory depending on the engine ordered. I
would shop for weaker springs first and then get shocks to match.

I have a '54 and I will keep my solid axle and just upgrade the steering ball
joints.

Gale Gorman
Houstpn

On Sep 27, 2013, at 12:11 PM, James Hays <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hello Strangers - sure like to draw on your previous experiences.

Driving - primed 55-1st PU - 350/4L60E with 74 Chev PU IFS narrowed 1.6'' &
lowering 2'' shorter new coil springs with newly made rear stock leaf
springs with 2 less leafs - softened with 2'' reduced height ( all
suspension pivot points F & R replaced ) . New F & R Monroe shocks of 74
Chev P U design.

Have less than a couple hundred miles on it but it really rides rough -
bouncing - only once - at every little bump. Thinking now the 74 Chev P U
must weigh a 1000# more than the 55 - could the shocks be from a too heavy
of a vehicle?

Everyday vehicle is a Yukon XL w / 150,000 - hoping I'm not expecting too
much. With this rough, bouncy ride would a person think of shocks first or
check with the people who furnished the springs? Know there is no comparison
of vehicle designs but hope I can improve my hobby truck some allowing a
Arizona Route 66 cruse next spring after paint.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated,

Jim - 55-1st / 5 Window - LT-1 / 4L60E
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/oletrucks/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: K Ohlgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 22:53:37 -0400

i suspect the 55 and 74 have a lot of weight difference up front.
easy way to check the shocks is to remove them, drive it and decide.
or load 500 lbs in the front of the bed and take it out for a spin.

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 1:11 PM, James Hays <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/oletrucks/[email-masked]

[email-masked]