Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] Bed questions

From: GALE GORMAN <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 10:32:08 -0600

On Feb 2, 2013, at 10:22 AM, James Wolford <[email-masked]> wrote:

I have questions about my 1957 short stepside pickup bed.  I have seen photos
of some trucks that do not have the 6 off set bolt washesr which hold the bed
to the frame.  I am wondering if anybody on the list has done this and how
they achieved it.  Is it possible to bolt the cross members to the frame so
that when the wood then lies over it and then once the wood is bolted down it
is all held in place?

Thanks,

Jim

------ snip ------
I'm just wondering why you'd want to do that. I bought a '54 and the PO used 2" square tubing instead of the hat section crossmembers. The wood was tongue and groove with no metal strips.

I prefer the original look and not just for the look. I use my trucks and the original setup holds up for years.

Gale Gorman
Houston
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: K Ohlgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 12:02:48 -0500

james; i did that on my bed. i bolted the bed x-members to the frame and
routed out clearance for the bolt heads in the back of my bed wood. the
rear bed sill still bolts to the frame and the 60 1/4'' bolts still hold
the bed secure to the frame. my bed wood is trex plastic wood for decks.
since they only manufacture one width i have one extra board and bed strip.
photobucket.com/albums/nn255/_ogre/bedwood<http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn255/_ogre/Mobile%20Uploads/?action=view&current=1018001424.jpg>

On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 11:22 AM, James Wolford <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/oletrucks/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Bruce Edgerton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 12:16:31 -0500

That's a great idea about using Trex! Hadn't considered it before, but as I
still have to build-up an entire new box and fenders for my '49 1/2 ton, I
should consider that idea.  Sure beats having the wood rot over time in New
England!

Bruce

> since they only manufacture one width i have one extra board and bed strip.
photobucket.com/albums/nn255/_ogre/bedwood<http://s306.photobucket.com/albums
/nn255/_ogre/Mobile%20Uploads/?action=view&current=1018001424.jpg>
>> that when the wood then lies over it and then once the wood is bolted down
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/oletrucks/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Bill Hanlon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 11:22:25 -0600

That's how I did my long bed 57 Jim.  And it held up through a rollover.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of James Wolford
Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2013 10:22 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Oletrucks] Bed questions

I have questions about my 1957 short stepside pickup bed.  I have seen
photos of some trucks that do not have the 6 off set bolt washesr which hold
the bed to the frame.  I am wondering if anybody on the list has done this
and how they achieved it.  Is it possible to bolt the cross members to the
frame so that when the wood then lies over it and then once the wood is
bolted down it is all held in place?

Thanks,

Jim

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/oletrucks/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]