Subject: Re: [NOBBC] The End of Car Culture

From: NOBBC <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 09:03:19 -0700

No doubt, really, but from what I've read and witnessed, the effects are 
more in the urban areas where there is alternative transportation, or 
where the jobs allow work from home. I think technology advancement away 
from internal combustion has had a huge effect as well, and it's 
inevitable. How many young people have ever seen a 35mm slide or 
listened to a 33-1/3 LP (or even seen one)?

Good news is there is still a bug in our human brains that likes 
mechanical things, and another that likes old things. Which is why more 
of us need to respond to Mitch Utsey about bringing our cars over to his 
school. Ahem. Nothing but crickets so far...

On 10/24/2013 10:16 PM, Don wrote:
> This article was reprinted in the November Abingdon Rough Rider
> Review.  Check it out in the NY Times where it originally
> appeared.  Looks like young people are not so enamored with
> automobiles as we were.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Mitch Utsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 11:25:41 -0700

I can attest to the number of kids who are still aspiring gear-heads.

The cars in the 80's were hard to "hot rod", but the current crop are
easily modded. There is plenty of room for physical modification, and the
electronics are making it easy to increase performance AND efficiency.

This generation's hot rods won't look like ours, but they are there.

And I'm doing my best to break them of the desire to put those abominable
"Camber Kits" on their Japanese cars that kick the tires out at 45
degrees....

-Mitch

ps, most of my students are learning about 8-tracks. I'll be bringing in my
system from the house to the school shop, because it isn't are REAL shop
without an 8-track player............

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 9:03 AM, NOBBC <[email-masked]> wrote:

> more in the urban areas where there is alternative transportation, or where
> the jobs allow work from home. I think technology advancement away from
> internal combustion has had a huge effect as well, and it's inevitable. How
> many young people have ever seen a 35mm slide or listened to a 33-1/3 LP
> (or even seen one)?
>
> mechanical things, and another that likes old things. Which is why more of
> us need to respond to Mitch Utsey about bringing our cars over to his
> ______________________________**_________________
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/nobbc/mitch.utsey@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/nobbc/[email-masked]>