Subject: [NOBBC] '58 Jag XK-150 Repair Question

From: Bill Badstubner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 22:26:53 -0700

Have any of you fellow XK owners in the club had to replace the rubber
coupling that connects the upper and lower portions of the steering column
on your car?

On my car, this looks like the original rubber component now hardened,
badly checked and with a significant crack partway down the long axis of
the coupling. I have a new replacement coupling sourced from XK's Unlimited
but not a clue as to the correct procedure for making the replacement. Does
the entire column have to come out of the car, or can I simply disconnect
the lower column at its connection (u-joint) to the steering rack to
release the tension on the coupling and install the relacement with the
upper column still on the car?

There is more than the usual amount of play in the steering, making me
reluctant to drive the car. If it needs to go to a shop for this fix it
will probably have to get there on a trailer.

Thanks for any advice.

Bill Badstubner
Santa Rosa
'53 MG-TD
'58 Jaguar XK-150 FHC

Why would anyone own an old British sports car? Because the car needs you.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Robin Jackson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 15:35:22 -0700

Brad - that's a job I've not done but*  *did find the following, which may
be of some help:
http://jag2jag.com/forum/topics/the-otto-mueller-xk-150-rrr

There is a section with pictures on steering column restoration. It looks
to me like the entire column should be removed and repaired as necessary
while you are doing the coupling replacement. If you like, I could take a
look to give my 2 cents worth!. Best,Rob

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 10:26 PM, Bill Badstubner
<[email-masked]>wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/nobbc/[email-masked]