Subject: Re: [Mgs] choke problem update with video

From: Larry Colen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2026 18:24:12 -0700

I can't see if the cams engage with the throttle adjustment screws and 
open up the throttle.
If not, they need to be adjusted.

I also can't see if activating the choke is dropping the jets.

Those are things that you could check by just manually moving the choke 
lever that's connected to the cable and seeing what else moves.

On 2026-03-24 18:09, dave northrup wrote:
> Check out this video:
> https://youtube.com/shorts/qw1SC_rSEdQ?feature=share [1]
> 
> Wife pulled out the choke while I was filming.  So the choke cable is
> not the problem
> 
> Clearly it's the next step in the choke process.  What should I be
> adjusting now?
> 
> Thanks so much!!!
> 
> Disclaimer:  18GB-U-H 24109  engine in an MGA.  That engine came with
> a weber; I put these carbs on.
> 
> I am having trouble - when I pull the choke knob it does not change
> the choke mechanism.  What am I doing wrong?
> 
> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://youtube.com/shorts/qw1SC_rSEdQ?feature=share
> _______________________________________________
> 
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> 
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs 
> http://autox.team.net/archive
> 
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

-- 
Larry Colen  [email-masked] http://red4est.com/lrc
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2026 19:32:03 -0700

--===============3155698905310285776==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_28EA4B62-76D4-4D4C-9360-E0493C194EBD"

--Apple-Mail=_28EA4B62-76D4-4D4C-9360-E0493C194EBD
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

You know, the MG service manual describes the whole process=E2=80=A6=20

Or you could check Barney=E2=80=99s site for tips.

--
Max Heim
'66 MGB

> On Mar 24, 2026, at 6:09=E2=80=AFPM, dave northrup <[email-masked]> =
wrote:
>=20
> Check out this video:  =
https://youtube.com/shorts/qw1SC_rSEdQ?feature=3Dshare
> =20
> Wife pulled out the choke while I was filming.  So the choke cable is =
not the problem
> =20
> Clearly it=E2=80=99s the next step in the choke process.  What should =
I be adjusting now?
> =20
> Thanks so much!!!
> =20
> =20
> Disclaimer:  18GB-U-H 24109  engine in an MGA.  That engine came with =
> =20
> I am having trouble =E2=80=93 when I pull the choke knob it does not =
change the choke mechanism.  What am I doing wrong?
>=20
>=20
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs =
>=20
> Unsubscribe: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--Apple-Mail=_28EA4B62-76D4-4D4C-9360-E0493C194EBD
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"overflow-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;">You know, the =
MG service manual describes the whole =
process=E2=80=A6&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>Or you could check Barney=E2=80=99=
s site for tips.</div><div><br id=3D"lineBreakAtBeginningOfMessage"><div>
--<br>Max Heim<br>'66 MGB

</div>

<div><br><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div>On Mar 24, 2026, at 6:09=E2=80=AFP=
M, dave northrup &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div><meta charset=3D"UTF-8"><div =
class=3D"WordSection1" style=3D"page: WordSection1; caret-color: rgb(0, =
0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;"><div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; =
font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;"><span style=3D"font-size: =
11pt;">Check out this video:&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"https://youtube.com/shorts/qw1SC_rSEdQ?feature=3Dshare" =
target=3D"_blank" style=3D"color: rgb(5, 99, 193); text-decoration: =
underline;">https://youtube.com/shorts/qw1SC_rSEdQ?feature=3Dshare</a><o:p=
></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; =
font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;"><span style=3D"font-size: =
11pt;"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; =
font-size: 12pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;"><span =
style=3D"font-size: 11pt;">Wife pulled out the choke while I was =
filming.&nbsp; So the choke cable is not the =
problem<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: =
12pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;"><span style=3D"font-size: =
11pt;"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; =
font-size: 12pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;"><span =
style=3D"font-size: 11pt;">Clearly it=E2=80=99s the next step in the =
choke process.&nbsp; What should I be adjusting =
now?<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; =
font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;"><span style=3D"font-size: =
11pt;"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; =
font-size: 12pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;"><span =
style=3D"font-size: 11pt;">Thanks so much!!!<o:p></o:p></span></div><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;"><span style=3D"font-size: =
11pt;"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; =
font-size: 12pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;"><span =
style=3D"font-size: 11pt;"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></div><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;"><span style=3D"font-size: 11pt;">Disclaimer:&nbsp; 18GB-U-H =
24109&nbsp; engine in an MGA.&nbsp; That engine came with a weber; I put =
these carbs on.<o:p></o:p></span></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in; =
font-size: 12pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;"><span =
style=3D"font-size: 11pt;"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></div><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Calibri, =
sans-serif;"><span style=3D"font-size: 11pt;">I am having trouble =E2=80=93=
 when I pull the choke knob it does not change the choke =
mechanism.&nbsp; What am I doing =
wrong?<o:p></o:p></span></div></div><span =
id=3D"cid:03633885-80F9-4BCC-836E-0935CCDCD49B">&lt;20260322_202703.jpg&gt=
;</span><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; =
font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: =
none; float: none; display: inline =
!important;">_______________________________________________</span><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;"><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;"><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: rgb(5, 99, 193); =
text-decoration: underline; font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: =
0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;">[email-masked]</a><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;"><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline =
!important;">Donate:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" style=3D"color: rgb(5, 99, =
193); text-decoration: underline; font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: =
0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br style=3D"caret-color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;"><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline =
!important;">Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.75</span><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;"><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;"><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: =
13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;">Archive:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs" style=3D"color: rgb(5, 99, =
193); text-decoration: underline; font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: =
0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a><span style=3D"caret-color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;"><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" style=3D"color: rgb(5, 99, 193); =
text-decoration: underline; font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; =
letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: =
0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, =
0, 0); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;"><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;"><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline =
!important;">Unsubscribe:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]" =
style=3D"color: rgb(5, 99, 193); text-decoration: underline; =
font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a></div>=
</blockquote></div><br></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_28EA4B62-76D4-4D4C-9360-E0493C194EBD--

--===============3155698905310285776==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3155698905310285776==--

---

From: Paul Hunt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2026 08:35:36 +0000

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============3256368999101116284==
 boundary="------------Nlk3xw0aAtXNzLUwPwrIF3tv"
Content-Language: en-GB

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------Nlk3xw0aAtXNzLUwPwrIF3tv
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

The choke cable lever and fast idle cams aren't moving far enough.  
Barely half of the cam is passing the fast idle screw whereas virtually 
the whole of the arc should, and it's not moving the jet lever down at all.

You probably need to move the inner down through its trunnion clamp to 
get more movement of the lever.  How far can you pull the dash control?  
Mine is a good 1 3/8".

You may need to alter the position of the choke lever on the shaft.  
When you have full travel pull it half-way and it should make a 
right-angle with the line of the cable.  If it's too low it can make the 
start of the pull hard and if it's too high you may not get enough travel.

See here https://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/choke.htm#adjust2 for pictures of 
the lever at zero and max choke, and of the fast idle cam and jet lever 
with no choke, just at the start of enrichment, and full enrichment.

PaulH.

On 25/03/2026 01:09, dave northrup wrote:
>
> Check out this video: https://youtube.com/shorts/qw1SC_rSEdQ?feature=share
>
> Clearly it’s the next step in the choke process.  What should I be 
> adjusting now?
>
> Thanks so much!!!
>
> Disclaimer: 18GB-U-H 24109  engine in an MGA.  That engine came with a 
> weber; I put these carbs on.
>
> I am having trouble – when I pull the choke knob it does not change 
> Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs  http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
--------------Nlk3xw0aAtXNzLUwPwrIF3tv
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>The choke cable lever and fast idle cams aren't moving far
      enough.  Barely half of the cam is passing the fast idle screw
      whereas virtually the whole of the arc should, and it's not moving
      the jet lever down at all.</p>
    <p>You probably need to move the inner down through its trunnion
      clamp to get more movement of the lever.  How far can you pull the
      dash control?  Mine is a good 1 3/8".</p>
    <p>You may need to alter the position of the choke lever on the
      shaft.  When you have full travel pull it half-way and it should
      make a right-angle with the line of the cable.  If it's too low it
      can make the start of the pull hard and if it's too high you may
      not get enough travel.</p>
    <p>See here <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/choke.htm#adjust2">https://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/choke.htm#adjust2</a> for
      pictures of the lever at zero and max choke, and of the fast idle
      cam and jet lever with no choke, just at the start of enrichment,
      and full enrichment.</p>
    <p>PaulH.<br>
    </p>
    On 25/03/2026 01:09, dave northrup wrote:<br>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <meta name="Generator"
        content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)">
      <style>@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}@font-face
	{font-family:Aptos;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-ligatures:standardcontextual;}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	mso-ligatures:none;}div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}</style>
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt">Check out
            this video:  <a
href="https://youtube.com/shorts/qw1SC_rSEdQ?feature=share"
              target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
              class="moz-txt-link-freetext">
              https://youtube.com/shorts/qw1SC_rSEdQ?feature=share</a><o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt">Wife pulled
            out the choke while I was filming.  So the choke cable is
            not the problem<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt">Clearly it’s
            the next step in the choke process.  What should I be
            adjusting now?<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt">Thanks so
            much!!!<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt">Disclaimer: 
            18GB-U-H 24109  engine in an MGA.  That engine came with a
            weber; I put these carbs on.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt">I am having
            trouble – when I pull the choke knob it does not change the
            choke mechanism.  What am I doing wrong?
            <o:p></o:p></span></p>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------Nlk3xw0aAtXNzLUwPwrIF3tv--

--===============3256368999101116284==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3256368999101116284==--