Subject: [Mgs] carb leaks that shouldn't be happening

From: Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 21:22:19 -0700

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============1249207511619423123==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0081_01D1FB28.F07925B0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0081_01D1FB28.F07925B0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

My 62mga is having drinking problems. I put new fiber seals on I my carbs
and they are leaking. I dare not tighten any further as they are obviously
brass vs aluminum. Any suggestions? Should I soak the fibers in oil? 

------=_NextPart_000_0081_01D1FB28.F07925B0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>My 62mga is having drinking problems. I put new fiber =
seals on I my carbs and they are leaking. I dare not tighten any further =
as they are obviously brass vs aluminum. Any suggestions? Should I soak =
the fibers in oil? <o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0081_01D1FB28.F07925B0--

--===============1249207511619423123==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============1249207511619423123==--

---

From: Allen Hess via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 18:12:26 -0400

--===============7542975952391078651==

--Apple-Mail=_FFF90303-F8ED-4E36-A127-FDF86481F0CD
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=windows-1252

Going along with what Barney said, repeated tightening can pull the =
thread proud of the surface. Don=92t know if that would happen in this =
case but it does occur for example with oil pan to block, aluminum =
transmission case, etc. So be sure the mating surfaces are flat.

On Aug 22, 2016, at 2:00 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Seal washers on the carb fuel feed banjo fittings should be fiber =
washers.  The banjo fittings are polarized, counterbored on one side and =
flat on the other side.  Flat side must go toward the float cover while =
counterbored side goes under the bolt head.

--Apple-Mail=_FFF90303-F8ED-4E36-A127-FDF86481F0CD
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=windows-1252

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html =
charset=3Dwindows-1252"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;">Going =
along with what Barney said, repeated tightening can pull the thread =
proud of the surface. Don=92t know if that would happen in this case but =
it does occur for example with oil pan to block, aluminum transmission =
case, etc. So be sure the mating surfaces are flat.<div><br><div><div>On =
Aug 22, 2016, at 2:00 PM, <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;">Seal washers on the carb fuel feed =
banjo fittings should be fiber washers.&nbsp; The banjo fittings are =
polarized, counterbored on one side and flat on the other side.&nbsp; =
Flat side must go toward the float cover while counterbored side goes =
under the bolt head.</span><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;"></blockquote></div><br></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_FFF90303-F8ED-4E36-A127-FDF86481F0CD--

--===============7542975952391078651==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7542975952391078651==--