Subject: [Mgs] fuel pump problems, need help

From: Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 14:27:03 -0700

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============3944737716624103211==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0028_01D1E100.7515FD40"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01D1E100.7515FD40
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hi,

62 MGA, fuel won't pump. I disassembled my pump and checked the diaphragm,
the rubber looked really good, I replaced the cork seal for what looks like
the overflow tank, this is not the original kind of pump with the
unscrew-able filter. The filter is inside the well for the intake seal and
it was perfectly clean as there is an inline filter. The cork seal was old
and had a break along where the tightening screw goes in but around the
perimeter it was good. I created a new on by oiling a new piece of cork to
make it moist and more pliant.

I found that the diaphragm needs to be screwed in enough so that the
contacts can be enabled by the magnet, too loose a diaphragm and the pump
won't pump especially by the time the voltage goes all the way through the
wiring.

As it is pumping, it provides too little vacuum when felt by finger test and
clearly not enough to suck gas. I believe my i/o seals are set up
incorrectly and intact. I have no way to know if my gaps and diaphragm as
adjusted correctly as I don't have the indicated test equipment. In
addition, the manual is for a different pump.

I would think as long as the piston is going up and down I should at least
get a stronger vacuum. What do I do? What is wrong?

Tia,

Clayton

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01D1E100.7515FD40
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Hi,<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>62 MGA, fuel =
won&#8217;t pump. I disassembled my pump and checked the diaphragm, the =
rubber looked really good, I replaced the cork seal for what looks like =
the overflow tank, this is not the original kind of pump with the =
unscrew-able filter. The filter is inside the well for the intake seal =
and it was perfectly clean as there is an inline filter. The cork seal =
was old and had a break along where the tightening screw goes in but =
around the perimeter it was good. I created a new on by oiling a new =
piece of cork to make it moist and more pliant.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I found that =
the diaphragm needs to be screwed in enough so that the contacts can be =
enabled by the magnet, too loose a diaphragm and the pump won&#8217;t =
pump especially by the time the voltage goes all the way through the =
wiring.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>As it is pumping, it provides too little vacuum when =
felt by finger test and clearly not enough to suck gas. I believe my i/o =
seals are set up incorrectly and intact. I have no way to know if my =
gaps and diaphragm as adjusted correctly as I don&#8217;t have the =
indicated test equipment. In addition, the manual is for a different =
pump.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>I would think as long as the piston is going up and =
down I should at least get a stronger vacuum.  What do I do? What is =
wrong?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Tia,<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Clayton<i><o:p></o:p></i></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0028_01D1E100.7515FD40--

--===============3944737716624103211==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============3944737716624103211==--

---

From: mgbob--- via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 11:46:33 GMT

--===============1057931043695746028==

----__JWM__J3a4b253b.1e3750a9S.516fd83aM
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

  There is no need to prime the SU pump.   Switch it on. If it thumps, i=
t pumps.    However, it does not pull very hard (most pumps push better =
than pull), and any air leaks between pump and fuel tank will allow the =
pump to pull only air.Bob
---------- Original Message ----------
From: Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs <[email-masked]>
To: "'Eric J Russell'" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] fuel pump problems, need help
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 10:13:28 -0700

How does one go about priming the pump?

crk

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Eric J Russell [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 1:27 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Mgs] fuel pump problems, need help
> =

> > 62 MGA, fuel won't pump. I disassembled my pump and checked the
> > diaphragm, the rubber looked really good, I replaced the cork seal f=
or
> > what looks like the overflow tank, this is not the original kind of
> > pump with the unscrew-able filter. >
> =

> > I would think as long as the piston is going up and down I should at=

> > least get a stronger vacuum. What do I do? What is wrong?
> =

> I am not sure what type of fuel pump you are describing. Can you post =
a
link to
> a photo?
> =

> SU pumps don't suck very well. The fuel pump in the MGA is mounted fai=
rly
low
> so it doesn't have to draw fuel up. Once primed all it needs to do is =
push
fuel up
> to the carbs.
> =

> Eric Russell
> Mebane, NC

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

----__JWM__J3a4b253b.1e3750a9S.516fd83aM
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<html><div><br>&nbsp; There is no need to prime the SU pump.&nbsp;</div>=
<div>&nbsp; Switch it on. If it thumps, it pumps. &nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp=
; However, it does not pull very hard (most pumps push better than pull)=
, and any air leaks between pump and fuel tank will allow the pump to pu=
ll only air.</div><div>Bob</div><div><br>---------- Original Message ---=
-------<br>From: Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>=
To: "'Eric J Russell'" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;, &lt;[email-masked].=
net&gt;<br>Subject: Re: [Mgs] fuel pump problems, need help<br>Date: Thu=
, 21 Jul 2016 10:13:28 -0700<br><br>How does one go about priming the pu=
mp?<br><br>crk<br><br>&gt; -----Original Message-----<br>&gt; From: Eric=
 J Russell [mailto:[email-masked]]<br>&gt; Sent: Tuesday, July 19,=
 2016 1:27 PM<br>&gt; To: [email-masked]<br>&gt; Cc: crk@godblessthe=
.us<br>&gt; Subject: Re: [Mgs] fuel pump problems, need help<br>&gt; <br=
>&gt; &gt; 62 MGA, fuel won't pump. I disassembled my pump and checked t=
he<br>&gt; &gt; diaphragm, the rubber looked really good, I replaced the=
 cork seal for<br>&gt; &gt; what looks like the overflow tank, this is n=
ot the original kind of<br>&gt; &gt; pump with the unscrew-able filter. =
&gt;<br>&gt; <br>&gt; &gt; I would think as long as the piston is going =
up and down I should at<br>&gt; &gt; least get a stronger vacuum. What d=
o I do? What is wrong?<br>&gt; <br>&gt; I am not sure what type of fuel =
pump you are describing. Can you post a<br>link to<br>&gt; a photo?<br>&=
gt; <br>&gt; SU pumps don't suck very well. The fuel pump in the MGA is =
mounted fairly<br>low<br>&gt; so it doesn't have to draw fuel up. Once p=
rimed all it needs to do is push<br>fuel up<br>&gt; to the carbs.<br>&gt=
; <br>&gt; Eric Russell<br>&gt; Mebane, NC<br><br><br>__________________=
_____________________________<br><br>[email-masked]<br>Donate: http:=
//www.team.net/donate.html<br>Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.75<br>=
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<br>Forums: http://www.team.net/foru=
ms<br>Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/mgbob@juno.=
com</p></html>

----__JWM__J3a4b253b.1e3750a9S.516fd83aM--

--===============1057931043695746028==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1057931043695746028==--

---

From: Clayton Kirkwood via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 10:20:48 -0700

--===============7517737642501373213==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_034A_01D1E8B9.BA010D80"
Content-Language: en-us

------=_NextPart_000_034A_01D1E8B9.BA010D80
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Thanks Paul et al. Don't know on the response q's other than technically,
you should receive two, one through mgs and the other directly to you. I've
sucked and blown and I think there may be a leak on the pull. The diaphragm
looks good and is pliable, but I don't know compared to a new one. There
doesn't appear to be any cracks. I suspect some of the sealing is old and
leaky. I have decent push, just sucky suck.

C

From: PaulHunt73 [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2016 1:16 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mgs] fuel pump problems, need help

According to the WSM the pump should be capable of lifting fuel a couple of
feet, and pumping it up a couple of feet more, i.e. far more than required
on the cars.  Should prime in 10 to 15 secs.

There can also be faults with (or incorrect reassembly of) the one-way
valves in the pump that will also prevent it supplying fuel.

Incidentally, how come I only get second response, and not the first or the
original post?  Happens from time to time.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 

  There is no need to prime the SU pump. 

  Switch it on. If it thumps, it pumps.  

  However, it does not pull very hard (most pumps push better than pull),
and any air leaks between pump and fuel tank will allow the pump to pull
only air.

------=_NextPart_000_034A_01D1E8B9.BA010D80
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.msonormal0, li.msonormal0, div.msonormal0
	{mso-style-name:msonormal;
	mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0in;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body bgcolor=3Dwhite =
lang=3DEN-US link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>Thanks Paul =
et al. Don&#8217;t know on the response q&#8217;s other than =
technically, you should receive two, one through mgs and the other =
directly to you. I&#8217;ve sucked and blown and I think there may be a =
leak on the pull. The diaphragm looks good and is pliable, but I =
don&#8217;t know compared to a new one. There doesn&#8217;t appear to be =
any cracks. I suspect some of the sealing is old and leaky. I have =
decent push, just sucky suck.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>C<o:p></o:p><=
/span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</=
o:p></span></p><div style=3D'border:none;border-left:solid blue =
1.5pt;padding:0in 0in 0in 4.0pt'><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>From:</span><=
/b><span style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'> =
PaulHunt73 [mailto:[email-masked]] <br><b>Sent:</b> =
Thursday, July 28, 2016 1:16 AM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]; =
[email-masked]<br><b>Cc:</b> [email-masked]; =
[email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [Mgs] fuel pump problems, =
need help<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>According to the WSM =
the pump should be capable of lifting fuel a couple of feet, and pumping =
it up a couple of feet more, i.e. far more than required on the =
cars.&nbsp; Should prime in 10 to 15 =
secs.<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>There can also be =
faults with&nbsp;(or incorrect reassembly of)&nbsp;the one-way valves in =
the pump that will also prevent it supplying =
fuel.</span><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Incidentally, how =
come I only get second response, and not the first or the original =
post?&nbsp; Happens from time to =
time.</span><o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>PaulH.</span><o:p></o:p></p></div><blockquote =
style=3D'border:none;border-left:solid black 1.5pt;padding:0in 0in 0in =
4.0pt;margin-left:3.75pt;margin-top:5.0pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:=
5.0pt'><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>----- Original =
Message ----- <o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><br>&nbsp; There is no need to prime the SU =
pump.&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp; Switch =
it on. If it thumps, it pumps. &nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp; However, it does not pull very hard (most pumps =
push better than pull), and any air leaks between pump and fuel tank =
will allow the pump to pull only air.<o:p></o:p></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p></div></blockquote></div></div></b=
ody></html>
------=_NextPart_000_034A_01D1E8B9.BA010D80--

--===============7517737642501373213==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7517737642501373213==--