Subject: Re: [Mgs] steering wheel quest

From: Mark via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 08:52:55 -0500

--===============5446941661521263276==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <p><tt>I have used Lecarra before and had good luck. Their hubs and
        horn pushes are interchangeable with Motolita.  They are located
        in Tennessee so you can actually talk to them.</tt></p>
    <table style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; letter-spacing:
      normal; orphans: auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none;
      widows: 1; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"
      border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
      <tbody>
        <tr>
          <td><br>
          </td>
          <td><br>
          </td>
        </tr>
      </tbody>
    </table>
    <p><tt><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.lecarra.com/">http://www.lecarra.com/</a>  </tt><br>
    </p>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 5/6/2016 10:09 AM, David Councill
      via Mgs wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
      cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 14 (filtered
        medium)">
      <style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal">I have been restoring a 1964 MGB (my
          non-winter daily driver). It needed a steering wheel when I
          brought it back to life several years ago after it sat in the
          previous owner’s garage for about 30 years. So I purchased the
          original style (banjo) steering wheel since I have never had
          one in my many years of MG ownership plus I try to keep the
          cars fairly original. What I did not realize is how big they
          are in diameter plus I liked the feel of the smaller loaner
          steering wheel I had been using that belonged to my son.
          Having several MGBs, I determined my preferred steering wheel
          diameter to be 14”-15”, leaning more to 14” (13” being too
          small).<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">So now I have been watching for steering
          wheels, preferably wood. Although I have looked at the modern
          Moto-Lita and other variants, I found a used steering wheel on
          Ebay, Styla brand, but it has a few defects, comes with the
          entire column, and would cost about the same as a new
          Moto-Lita for the whole thing. So now I have been focusing on
          a period correct after-market wood steering wheel (14-15”) as
          the preferred option. But I can’t seem to find much
          information on vintage steering wheels. There is the Les
          Leston brand but I haven’t seen any for sale the past few
          months. The Styla brand looks good if I can find one at a
          decent price. I have now located a “Superior Performance”
          steering wheel that has promise but the boss is plain (no
          logo) and the seller is not sure it has the correct boss – and
          that could be a problem since I cannot tell what kind of boss
          might work if I had to replace it.<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">So I’ll ask the list what any of you might
          now of 1960s wood steering wheels used on the MGB and any
          sources of such to help in my search.<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">David Councill<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">64 MGB<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">67 MGBGT<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">72 MGB<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>
Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--===============5446941661521263276==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============5446941661521263276==--

---

From: "W. David Houser via Mgs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 17:10:50 -0400

--===============8692849991113889987==

--Apple-Mail=_CE53ED8F-265E-4D5D-B5CD-8AFF06CBC2B7
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

Listers and David,=20
I love the =E2=80=9CPersona"l steering wheel that came with my 67 BGT =
Special Edition!
14=E2=80=9D in diameter, a nice light wood color, 3 holed aluminum =
spokes and the car is easy to park with it.
Keep your eyes out for one=E2=80=A6
Cheers,
Dave Houser
Brooksville, FL
=20
> On May 6, 2016, at 11:09 AM, David Councill via Mgs =
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>=20
> I have been restoring a 1964 MGB (my non-winter daily driver). It =
needed a steering wheel when I brought it back to life several years ago =
after it sat in the previous owner=E2=80=99s garage for about 30 years. =
So I purchased the original style (banjo) steering wheel since I have =
never had one in my many years of MG ownership plus I try to keep the =
cars fairly original. What I did not realize is how big they are in =
diameter plus I liked the feel of the smaller loaner steering wheel I =
had been using that belonged to my son. Having several MGBs, I =
determined my preferred steering wheel diameter to be 14=E2=80=9D-15=E2=80=
=9D, leaning more to 14=E2=80=9D (13=E2=80=9D being too small).
> =20
> So now I have been watching for steering wheels, preferably wood. =
Although I have looked at the modern Moto-Lita and other variants, I =
found a used steering wheel on Ebay, Styla brand, but it has a few =
defects, comes with the entire column, and would cost about the same as =
a new Moto-Lita for the whole thing. So now I have been focusing on a =
period correct after-market wood steering wheel (14-15=E2=80=9D) as the =
preferred option. But I can=E2=80=99t seem to find much information on =
vintage steering wheels. There is the Les Leston brand but I haven=E2=80=99=
t seen any for sale the past few months. The Styla brand looks good if I =
can find one at a decent price. I have now located a =E2=80=9CSuperior =
Performance=E2=80=9D steering wheel that has promise but the boss is =
plain (no logo) and the seller is not sure it has the correct boss =E2=80=93=
 and that could be a problem since I cannot tell what kind of boss might =
work if I had to replace it.
> =20
> So I=E2=80=99ll ask the list what any of you might now of 1960s wood =
steering wheels used on the MGB and any sources of such to help in my =
search.
> =20
> David Councill
> 64 MGB
> 67 MGBGT
> 72 MGB
> =20
>=20
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html =
<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive <http://www.team.net/archive>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums <http://www.team.net/forums>
> Unsubscribe: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked] =
<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]>

--Apple-Mail=_CE53ED8F-265E-4D5D-B5CD-8AFF06CBC2B7
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;" =
class=3D"">Listers and David,&nbsp;<div class=3D"">I love the =
=E2=80=9CPersona"l steering wheel that came with my 67 BGT Special =
Edition!<div class=3D"">14=E2=80=9D in diameter, a nice light wood =
color, 3 holed aluminum spokes and the car is easy to park with =
it.</div><div class=3D"">Keep your eyes out for one=E2=80=A6</div><div =
class=3D"">Cheers,</div><div class=3D"">Dave Houser</div><div =
class=3D"">Brooksville, FL</div><div class=3D"">&nbsp;<br =
class=3D""><div><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div class=3D"">On =
May 6, 2016, at 11:09 AM, David Councill via Mgs &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><div =
class=3D"WordSection1" style=3D"page: WordSection1; font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 20px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><div style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D"">I have =
been restoring a 1964 MGB (my non-winter daily driver). It needed a =
steering wheel when I brought it back to life several years ago after it =
sat in the previous owner=E2=80=99s garage for about 30 years. So I =
purchased the original style (banjo) steering wheel since I have never =
had one in my many years of MG ownership plus I try to keep the cars =
fairly original. What I did not realize is how big they are in diameter =
plus I liked the feel of the smaller loaner steering wheel I had been =
using that belonged to my son. Having several MGBs, I determined my =
preferred steering wheel diameter to be 14=E2=80=9D-15=E2=80=9D, leaning =
more to 14=E2=80=9D (13=E2=80=9D being too small).<o:p =
class=3D""></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D""><o:p =
class=3D"">&nbsp;</o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D"">So now I =
have been watching for steering wheels, preferably wood. Although I have =
looked at the modern Moto-Lita and other variants, I found a used =
steering wheel on Ebay, Styla brand, but it has a few defects, comes =
with the entire column, and would cost about the same as a new Moto-Lita =
for the whole thing. So now I have been focusing on a period correct =
after-market wood steering wheel (14-15=E2=80=9D) as the preferred =
option. But I can=E2=80=99t seem to find much information on vintage =
steering wheels. There is the Les Leston brand but I haven=E2=80=99t =
seen any for sale the past few months. The Styla brand looks good if I =
can find one at a decent price. I have now located a =E2=80=9CSuperior =
Performance=E2=80=9D steering wheel that has promise but the boss is =
plain (no logo) and the seller is not sure it has the correct boss =E2=80=93=
 and that could be a problem since I cannot tell what kind of boss might =
work if I had to replace it.<o:p class=3D""></o:p></div><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: =
Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D""><o:p class=3D"">&nbsp;</o:p></div><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: =
Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D"">So I=E2=80=99ll ask the list what any =
of you might now of 1960s wood steering wheels used on the MGB and any =
sources of such to help in my search.<o:p class=3D""></o:p></div><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: =
Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D""><o:p class=3D"">&nbsp;</o:p></div><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: =
Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D"">David Councill<o:p =
class=3D""></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D"">64 =
MGB<o:p class=3D""></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D"">67 =
MGBGT<o:p class=3D""></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D"">72 =
MGB<o:p class=3D""></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D""><o:p =
class=3D"">&nbsp;</o:p></div></div><span style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 20px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: inline =
!important;" =
class=3D"">_______________________________________________</span><br =
style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 20px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D""><br style=3D"font-family:=
 Helvetica; font-size: 20px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D""><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"color: purple; =
text-decoration: underline; font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 20px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 20px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;" class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 20px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Donate:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" style=3D"color: purple; =
text-decoration: underline; font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 20px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 20px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 20px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: inline =
!important;" class=3D"">Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.75</span><br =
style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 20px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D""><span =
style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 20px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: inline =
!important;" class=3D"">Archive:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" style=3D"color: purple; =
text-decoration: underline; font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 20px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 20px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 20px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: inline =
!important;" class=3D"">Forums:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" style=3D"color: purple; =
text-decoration: underline; font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 20px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 20px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 20px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: inline =
!important;" class=3D"">Unsubscribe:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]=
" style=3D"color: purple; text-decoration: underline; font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 20px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked].=
com</a></div></blockquote></div><br class=3D""></div></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_CE53ED8F-265E-4D5D-B5CD-8AFF06CBC2B7--

--===============8692849991113889987==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8692849991113889987==--