Subject: [Mgs] steering wheel quest

From: David Councill via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 08:09:43 -0700

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============1360628045433365566==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0073_01D1A76E.A755BC30"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0073_01D1A76E.A755BC30
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I have been restoring a 1964 MGB (my non-winter daily driver). It needed a
steering wheel when I brought it back to life several years ago after it sat
in the previous owner's garage for about 30 years. So I purchased the
original style (banjo) steering wheel since I have never had one in my many
years of MG ownership plus I try to keep the cars fairly original. What I
did not realize is how big they are in diameter plus I liked the feel of the
smaller loaner steering wheel I had been using that belonged to my son.
Having several MGBs, I determined my preferred steering wheel diameter to be
14"-15", leaning more to 14" (13" being too small).

So now I have been watching for steering wheels, preferably wood. Although I
have looked at the modern Moto-Lita and other variants, I found a used
steering wheel on Ebay, Styla brand, but it has a few defects, comes with
the entire column, and would cost about the same as a new Moto-Lita for the
whole thing. So now I have been focusing on a period correct after-market
wood steering wheel (14-15") as the preferred option. But I can't seem to
find much information on vintage steering wheels. There is the Les Leston
brand but I haven't seen any for sale the past few months. The Styla brand
looks good if I can find one at a decent price. I have now located a
"Superior Performance" steering wheel that has promise but the boss is plain
(no logo) and the seller is not sure it has the correct boss - and that
could be a problem since I cannot tell what kind of boss might work if I had
to replace it.

So I'll ask the list what any of you might now of 1960s wood steering wheels
used on the MGB and any sources of such to help in my search.

David Councill

64 MGB

67 MGBGT

72 MGB

------=_NextPart_000_0073_01D1A76E.A755BC30
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>I have =
been restoring a 1964 MGB (my non-winter daily driver). It needed a =
steering wheel when I brought it back to life several years ago after it =
sat in the previous owner&#8217;s garage for about 30 years. So I =
purchased the original style (banjo) steering wheel since I have never =
had one in my many years of MG ownership plus I try to keep the cars =
fairly original. What I did not realize is how big they are in diameter =
plus I liked the feel of the smaller loaner steering wheel I had been =
using that belonged to my son. Having several MGBs, I determined my =
preferred steering wheel diameter to be 14&#8221;-15&#8221;, leaning =
more to 14&#8221; (13&#8221; being too small).<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>So now I =
have been watching for steering wheels, preferably wood. Although I have =
looked at the modern Moto-Lita and other variants, I found a used =
steering wheel on Ebay, Styla brand, but it has a few defects, comes =
with the entire column, and would cost about the same as a new Moto-Lita =
for the whole thing. So now I have been focusing on a period correct =
after-market wood steering wheel (14-15&#8221;) as the preferred option. =
But I can&#8217;t seem to find much information on vintage steering =
wheels. There is the Les Leston brand but I haven&#8217;t seen any for =
sale the past few months. The Styla brand looks good if I can find one =
at a decent price. I have now located a &#8220;Superior =
Performance&#8221; steering wheel that has promise but the boss is plain =
(no logo) and the seller is not sure it has the correct boss &#8211; and =
that could be a problem since I cannot tell what kind of boss might work =
if I had to replace it.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>So =
I&#8217;ll ask the list what any of you might now of 1960s wood steering =
wheels used on the MGB and any sources of such to help in my =
search.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>David Councill<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>64 =
MGB<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>67 MGBGT<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>72 MGB<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0073_01D1A76E.A755BC30--

--===============1360628045433365566==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============1360628045433365566==--

---

From: Eric J Russell via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 22:41:04 -0400

----- Original Message ----- 

> So now I have been watching for steering wheels, preferably wood.

What is the reason for not buying one of the alternate steering wheels that 
Moss lists?
http://www.mossmotors.com/Browse/PlateMenuProducts.aspx?WebCatalogID=8&PlateTypeID=1&SubcomponentID=118&ComponentID=16

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

[email-masked]

---

From: Phil Bacon via Mgs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 16:05:35 GMT

--===============2556060153202770439==

----__JWM__J3bde0504.7bbf2d02S.38bc40dbM
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

David.......if you like the looks of the banjo steering wheel, consider =
using an early MG Midget wheel.  It has two chrome spokes on the  radial=
s instead of three, is an inch or so smaller in diameter, and is virtual=
ly indistinguishable from the original.  I did this on my 67 GT and no o=
ne notices the difference.  The boss matches but you'll need to do some =
shop mods on the original horn push button to make it work as well as cr=
eate a threaded allen bolt hole to fasten it to the wheel.  Moss has the=
m, but be sure to get the early one...the later midget wheel boss won't =
fit.  Phil Bacon67 MGBGT72 TR6       =

---------- Original Message ----------
From: David Councill via Mgs <[email-masked]> <

I have been restoring a 1964 MGB (my non-winter daily driver). It needed=
 a steering wheel when I brought it back to life several years ago after=
 it sat in the previous owner&rsquo;s garage for about 30 years. So I pu=
rchased the original style (banjo) steering wheel since I have never had=
 one in my many years of MG ownership plus I try to keep the cars fairly=
 original. What I did not realize is how big they are in diameter plus I=
 liked the feel of the smaller loaner steering wheel I had been using th=
at belonged to my son. Having several MGBs, I determined my preferred st=
eering wheel diameter to be 14&rdquo;-15&rdquo;, leaning more to 14&rdqu=
o; (13&rdquo; being too small).
 =

=2E The Styla brand looks good if I can find one at a decent price. I ha=
ve now located a &ldquo;Superior Performance&rdquo; steering wheel that =
has promise but the boss is plain (no logo) and the seller is not sure i=
t has the correct boss &ndash; and that could be a problem since I canno=
t tell what kind of boss might work if I had to replace it.
 =

David Councill64 MGB
67 MGBGT
72 MGB
 =

____________________________________________________________
Scribol.com
20 Female Celebrities Who Are Totally Different in Real Life
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/572f640b7dd69640b7108st03vuc
----__JWM__J3bde0504.7bbf2d02S.38bc40dbM
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<html><div>David.......if you like the looks of the banjo steering wheel=
, consider using an <span style=3D"text-decoration: underline;">early MG=
 Midget wheel.</span>&nbsp; It has two chrome spokes on the&nbsp; radial=
s instead of three, is an inch or so smaller in diameter, and is virtual=
ly indistinguishable from the original.&nbsp; I did this on my 67 GT and=
 no one notices the difference.&nbsp; The boss matches but you'll need t=
o do some shop mods on the original horn push button to make it work as =
well as create a threaded allen bolt hole to fasten it to the wheel.&nbs=
p; Moss has them, but be sure to get the early one...the later midget wh=
eel boss won't fit.&nbsp; </div>
<div>Phil Bacon</div>
<div>67 MGBGT</div>
<div>72 TR6&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; <br><br>---------- Original Messag=
e ----------<br>From: David Councill via Mgs &lt;[email-masked]&gt; =
&lt;<br><br></p>
<!-- [if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" ></o:shapedefaults>
</xml><![endif]--><!-- [if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" ></o:idmap>
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
<div class=3D"WordSection1">
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">I have been restoring a 1964 MGB (my non-winter d=
aily driver). It needed a steering wheel when I brought it back to life =
several years ago after it sat in the previous owner&rsquo;s garage for =
about 30 years. So I purchased the original style (banjo) steering wheel=
 since I have never had one in my many years of MG ownership plus I try =
to keep the cars fairly original. What I did not realize is how big they=
 are in diameter plus I liked the feel of the smaller loaner steering wh=
eel I had been using that belonged to my son. Having several MGBs, I det=
ermined my preferred steering wheel diameter to be 14&rdquo;-15&rdquo;, =
leaning more to 14&rdquo; (13&rdquo; being too small).</p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">. The Styla brand looks good if I can find one at=
 a decent price. I have now located a &ldquo;Superior Performance&rdquo;=
 steering wheel that has promise but the boss is plain (no logo) and the=
 seller is not sure it has the correct boss &ndash; and that could be a =
problem since I cannot tell what kind of boss might work if I had to rep=
lace it.</p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p>
David Councill
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">64 MGB</p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">67 MGBGT</p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">72 MGB</p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p>
</div></html>

<br><br><font SIZE=3D"2" color=3D"#000000">_____________________________=
_______________________________</font><br><a style=3D"TEXT-DECORATION: n=
one" href=3D"http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3132/572f640b7dd69640b7=
108st03vuc" target=3D_blank><font face=3D"Arial"><font color=3D"#004080"=
 size=3D"3"><b>Scribol.com</b></font><br><font color=3D"#000000" size=3D=
"2">20 Female Celebrities Who Are Totally Different in Real Life<br></a>=
<a style=3D"COLOR: #000000" href=3D"http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL=
3132/572f640b7dd69640b7108st03vuc" target=3D_blank>http://thirdpartyoffe=
rs.juno.com/TGL3132/572f640b7dd69640b7108st03vuc</a></font></font>
----__JWM__J3bde0504.7bbf2d02S.38bc40dbM--

--===============2556060153202770439==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2556060153202770439==--