Subject: [Mgs] road side repair fun

From: Paul Root <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 11:04:53 -0500

This morning, it was raining, but with 4 cars and 4 drivers and 4 places to be
at the same time; I drove the MG.

As I'm turning into the on ramp for the Freeway about a mile and a half from
home, the accellerator pedal goes to the floor.

I pulled to the side, and popped the hood. The throttle cable snapped at the
linkage. I figure there is enough leeway to hook it back up, and the throttle
might be a little high.

So I start working on that, and the highway patrol comes. So I told him that
the throttle cable snapped.'

 'What's that?' Just a mechanical cable. I can fix it.
 'How long will it take?'   Just 5 minutes I'd say.
 'Ok, I'll wait in the car to give you more visibility."  Ok thanks.

So I hooked it up, seems fine. I go tell him that I'm ready to go.

I start up, and 'idle' is 4500. Joy. I can't back out, so I have to get on the
Freeway and go up 3 miles and then come back home on the side roads.
The Freeway is bumper to bumper, 20-50 mph. So I get to speed, and turn off
the ignition, push in the clutch and coast. Turn it back on as traffic speeds
up, etc.

I thought about pulling into a parking lot, and adjusting the throttle shafts
but figured I could make the 4 miles home.

Back roads back home goes fine, all it well. And I can work from home today.
Not what I was planning, but should be fine.

I've found a good thick bicycle brake cable, that looks new. I should be able
to use it. Otherwise, I can take the wife's car to work and  Quality Coaches
tomorrow.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]