Subject: [Mgs] MGB Servo sticking?

From: Thompson Allan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 23:03:26 +0100

Hi there,

Wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to what may be the cause of the
brake servo on my 1977 MGB appearing to come on late and stick.

When I press the brake pedal and the car slows to a stop, the servo appears
to become 'active' taking some pressure off the brake pedal and 'clamping'
the brakes on for a brief period.

Has anyone experience of this phenomenon?

regards
Allan
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 08:17:33 +0100

Not uncommon.  The air valve on the remote servo sticks which prevents the 
vacuum on one side of the diaphragm from filling, and that keeps pressure on 
the fluid downstream of the servo.  My roadster has done it for years 
intermittently, in hot weather, usually a tap of the brake pedal releases 
it.  But a pal's was so severe while away touring we had to disconnect the 
vacuum hose from the servo and plug it with a spare spark plug.

Some say lubricating the air valve with silicone grease fixes it, others 
point to the installation instructions for the after-market Lockheed servo 
that shows the servo fitted with the air-valve pointing downwards instead of 
upwards as the factory fitted it, yet more say the air valve needs to be 
removed and it's cylinder polished with fine wet and dry.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 

[email-masked]