Subject: Re: [Mgs] H2O Pulley

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 09:38:31 +0100

Can't help on the pulley, except to say that doing a trial fit of the fan 
belt will tell you which way round it goes, as with two different sizes the 
wrong one, when it is in line with the crank and alternator pulleys, will 
either be too short or too long.  But I was under the impression that all 
the pulleys were one-piece, regardless of how many 'slots' they had.

The pump should have a flange with perhaps eight tapped holes on the face, 
four at one distance from the centre and four at another.  I've just changed 
my water pump and the pulley simply fits over the flange such that you can 
see the four appropriate (probably the outer ones) holes are visible through 
the pulley holes, I just positioned the flange with one of the holes at the 
top, then fitted the pulley over it also with one of the holes at the top. 
If you don't get it exact it should be close enough to get a small probe 
through both holes to line them up for the bolts.  My pulley say on the 
flange quite happily, while I offered-up the fan with bolts, locktabs, 
washers, spaces, and rubber grommets (for metal fans).  If your is supposed 
to be multi-part then you may have to fit the pulley over the fan bolts and 
get the alignment of the top bolt with a top hole as close as possible as 
you bring the fan etc. to the flange. If you have a long-nosed pump i.e. a 
deep pulley it might be tricky getting fingers in the back to hold the pump 
still while you turn the fan etc. to find the holes.  If your pump has a 
drain hole underneath you might be able to press a soft drift up through 
there to hold the shaft while you do it.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> In replacing the water pump on my 1980 MGB LE I discovered the pulley 
> consists
> of three parts: a large and a small pulley and a ring.  In my haste I 
> forgot
> the correct order. Any of you with a RBB can do me a huge favor by looking 
> at
> the configuration on your car and let me know the correct orientation. 
> Does
> the smaller pulley go on the inside closer to the engine?  Secondly, is 
> there
> some simple method for lining up the 4  bolt holes thru the pulley so they
> properly align with the holes on the water pump 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Richard Ewald <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 20:00:23 -0700

An easy way to get pulleys on the water pump flange is to take a spare bolt of
the correct size and thread and chop the head off. Screw it into one of the
correct holes and then thread the pulley etc onto the flange. Start the other
bolts then unscrew the stud and install the 4th bolt.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 7, 2014, at 1:38, "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
belt will tell you which way round it goes, as with two different sizes the
wrong one, when it is in line with the crank and alternator pulleys, will
either be too short or too long.  But I was under the impression that all the
pulleys were one-piece, regardless of how many 'slots' they had.
four at one distance from the centre and four at another.  I've just changed
my water pump and the pulley simply fits over the flange such that you can see
the four appropriate (probably the outer ones) holes are visible through the
pulley holes, I just positioned the flange with one of the holes at the top,
then fitted the pulley over it also with one of the holes at the top. If you
don't get it exact it should be close enough to get a small probe through both
holes to line them up for the bolts.  My pulley say on the flange quite
happily, while I offered-up the fan with bolts, locktabs, washers, spaces, and
rubber grommets (for metal fans).  If your is supposed to be multi-part then
you may have to fit the pulley over the fan bolts and get the alignment of the
top bolt with a top hole as close as possible as you bring the fan etc. to the
flange. If you have a long-nosed pump i.e. a deep pulley it might be tricky
getting fingers in the back to hold the pump still while you turn the fan etc.
to find the holes.  If your pump has a drain hole underneath you might be able
to press a soft drift up through there to hold the shaft while you do it.
consists
forgot
at
Does
there
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]