Subject: Re: [Mgs] Hi Torque Starter

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 14:37:30 +0100

There can be modern geared starters, and what are described as 'hi torque' 
starters which are not geared but by use of more modern techniques still 
offer an improvement over the original starter.  Geared tend to be double 
the price of the standard starter, hi-torque not much more than normal

I'd expect both types to come with a solenoid, indeed with the geared type 
the solenoid is usually the part that is in line with the pinion, and 
actually larger than the motor, but you will have to look at the starter you 
have to see.

With the geared type it is all down to the adapter plate on the front of the 
motor assembly as to whether it will fit the MGB or not.  Some of these come 
with a captive bolt as the motor position obstructs it, others are 
orientated such that both bolts can be removed and inserted as normal.  The 
most important thing to check is how the adapter plate has been attached to 
the motor assembly.  I tried one several years ago and it was just attached 
with a couple of self-tappers and super-glue, and came adrift in a couple of 
days.

The number of teeth on the pinion is supposed to be important, the original 
inertia starter on the MGB (and all MGC) had 9 teeth, MGB pre-engaged had 10 
teeth.

Most solenoids only have the solenoid operate terminal, and don't have the 
coil boost terminal that rubber bumper standard starters originally had.  A 
few might have this extra terminal.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 

> Still researching my starting issues and believe I have narrowed it down 
> to
> the starter or its solenoid. I have a new hi torque starter in my spares 
> and
> would like to know if anyone has installed one. Is it a straight swap? Any
> wiring changes required? Does it have its own solenoid? Any advice will be
> greatly appreciated. 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Steve Shoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 23:11:30 -0400

I installed one on my 1980 B a few years ago, because the post on my solenoid
had broken.  It was a pretty easy swap, and it included its own solenoid.

--Steve

>
> I have a new hi torque starter in my spares and
> wiring changes required? Does it have its own solenoid?

[email-masked]