Subject: Re: [Mgs] Starting Issues

From: "Hans Duinhoven" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 12:17:59 +0200

Hi Frank,

Long time since my last visit.
I expect the pump has nothing to do with the starting problem.
Did you look at the starter solenoid high current connections?
On my GT the screw thread was worn on the starter solenoid, so the nut did
not firmly keep all wiring sockets tight to the solenoid.
At this point also the battery wire is connected.
For low current electrics the connection would work, but high starter
solenoid & motor current makes a high tension loss over just a little
resistance already.
I replaced the solenoid and it works fine.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Hans
71 BGT

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Mgs [mailto:[email-masked]] Namens FrankK
Verzonden: donderdag 12 juni 2014 18:54
Aan: MG List
Onderwerp: [Mgs] Starting Issues

Recently replaced the water pump on my MGB LE (1980).  It started and drove
perfectly after that. This morning it would not start and I get a click that
sounds like it is emanating from the ignition relay which was new since I
replaced it last week. The battery is fully charged and all the battery
connections are secure. There are no blown fuses and I am at a total loss as
to where to look next.  Any suggestions from others who may have experienced
similar issues or who might have a clue will be greatly appreciated.
FrankKrajewski
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---
Dit e-mailbericht bevat geen virussen en malware omdat avast! Antivirus-bescherming actief is.
http://www.avast.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 08:51:26 +0100

You will have to track the voltage through the circuit from the key via the 
relay to the starter solenoid.  There are no fuses involved in cranking or 
running the engine.

Do you have an ignition warning light?  If so does that dim right down when 
you get the click?  If so then either battery, solenoid, or engine earth 
strap connections are bad.

If that stays bright then as well as the relay making a click as it operate 
the solenoid makes a clonk.  Normally you can't hear them as the solenoid 
drowns out the relay and the motor drowns out the solenoid.  So first 
determine whether it is the relay or the solenoid you can hear.  They are 
quite different but if you haven't heard them before, particularly being on 
the 'wrong' side of the car (I presume) when you turn the key, they could be 
confused.  Have someone turn the key while you listen and feel from the 
relay (on the inner wing by the fusebox) side.

If you can hear the solenoid clonk then either it's contacts are bad, or the 
motor itself has failed in some way.

If it's the relay and not the solenoid then test the four connections on the 
relay while the key is turned to crank.  You should have 12v on the 
white/red, brown and brown/white and 0v on the black.

If you have that then the problem lies with the solenoid or the connections 
to it.  Test the connections at the solenoid for voltage.  If you have 12v 
getting onto the solenoid spade from the white/brown then the solenoid is 
bad.

If you have 12v on the brown but not the brown/white then the relay is bad.

If you don't have 12v on the brown then the connection back towards the 
solenoid is bad, but if the previous tests are good that is unlikely.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> replaced it last week. 

[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 10:45:26 -0500

Do the headlights dim when you try to start it?

CR
On 6/12/2014 11:54 AM, FrankK wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 13:33:54 -0500

Did I get tossed in the bit-bucket again?

CR

[email-masked]

---

From: Simon Matthews <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 13:20:58 -0700

Not as far as I can tell.

Simon

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 11:33 AM, Charley & Peggy Robinson
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Charles Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 15:34:48 -0500

It seems to be part-way up.  I get message but my posts get bounced.  
Trying again.

Charles Hill

[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 18:22:34 -0500

I got the bounce post last week.  What it meant was that the server's 
posts to me were bouncing.  I sent  a post to Mark, saying I was still 
here.  Looks like Mark has it under control.  We oughta each send him a 
sawbuck for his efforts.

CR

[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 18:27:29 -0500

You're coming through.  I just sent Mark $20.  Did it with Paypal.

CR

[email-masked]

---

From: "W. David Houser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 19:32:23 -0400

So did I. Good work, Charley.
Let's all get behind Mark for his efforts. He has done great work for us all
for many years!
Dave Houser

On Jun 30, 2014, at 7:27 PM, Charley & Peggy Robinson wrote:

>> It seems to be part-way up.  I get message but my posts get bounced. Trying
again.
>> Charles Hill
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Stephen West-Fisher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 19:45:37 -0400

Nope, everybody else did :-)

Steve

--
Stephen West-Fisher
N4IK

-----Original Message-----
From: Mgs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Charley & Peggy
Robinson
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2014 2:34 PM
To: MG List
Subject: [Mgs] List Up?

CR

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 18:36:54 -0600

Yes, at the moment the list is working for a lot of folks, still getting DMARC bounces for some.
What fun.

Also the archives at http://www.team.net/archive should be searchable again, but there are big chunks
of it missing. I'm working on getting it updated as best as possible.

The forums were never really used much, not sure if I'll put much effort in bringing those
back to life.

And thanks to those of you who appreciate the effort and make use of the donate link.

mjb.

[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 20:00:04 -0500

Good!  OK guys, pony up; shux it's only a case of Sam Adams. :-)

CR
On 6/30/2014 6:32 PM, W. David Houser wrote:
> Let's all get behind Mark for his efforts. He has done great work for us all for many years!
> Dave Houser
>
>
>>> It seems to be part-way up.  I get message but my posts get bounced. Trying again.
>>>
>>> Charles Hill
>> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]