Subject: Re: [Mgs] [Mg-t] Distributor - off-topic disk storage

From: "Hans Duinhoven" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 11:34:25 +0100

Expensive disk Barry!
I just bought 500 GB disk space for +/- $ 55 and this only as it is a small
format.
Bigger format external disk storage is +/- $ 70 for 1 TB of storage space.

And yes in the seventies prices for storage were immense.
Funny thing - we spent our holidays in London and we visited the Science
Museum.
Saw a Data General Nova 820 mini computer equipped with a 2.5 MB (!) Diablo
33 disk drive.
This system was exhibited as the DG system was the controlling system of the
world's first X-Ray brain- and bodyscanner.
I worked with these DG Nova systems in the seventies - I left DG in 1987.

Cheers,
Hans

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Namens
Barrie Robinson
Verzonden: woensdag 1 januari 2014 18:03
Aan: Dave; MG List
Onderwerp: Re: [Mgs] [Mg-t] Distributor

Just as a comparison !  In the 70's I sold Queen's University
(|Canada) a string of 8 disc drives and controller which needed an air
conditioned raised floor, each the size of a modern day washing machine, at
around $2,500 per month on a 48 month contract.  Total 
storage was about 30 Mbytes.   I just bought 32Gbytes for $32 cash !!

At 05:06 PM 31/12/2013 -0600, Dave wrote:
>Charlie Brown's best friend.  is he on TV tonite?
>
>-----Original Message----- From: FrankK Sent: Tuesday, December 31,
>2013 1:58 PM To: Dave ; MG List Subject: Re: [Mgs] [Mg-t] Distributor 
>Isn't that Charley Brown's dog?
>-----Original Message----- From: Dave Sent: Tuesday, December 31,
>2013 12:20 PM To: [email-masked] Subject: Re: [Mgs] [Mg-t] 
>Distributor very well said.  let's get together on this!  who knows linux?
>
>-----Original Message----- From: [email-masked] Sent: Tuesday, 
>December 31, 2013 1:50 AM To: [email-masked] Subject: Re: [Mgs] 
>[Mg-t] Distributor I'm not convinced that the advent of black box solid 
>state electronics will mark the end of the classic car era. Sure, the 
>custom, manufacturer correct parts will become NLA, and these type of 
>electronics are basically unserviceable once they go.
>But consider just how much computing power you can get today in a form 
>factor the size of, say, a phone, and compare that to what was possible 
>even five years ago.
>It's not too far fetched to start to create a programmable aftermarket 
>'universal car computer'. All you would need to fabricate are the 
>proper wiring connectors for your specific car.
>The computer would have programmable software modules for any 
>automotive system that might be computer controlled (from ignition to 
>entertainment, and everything in between), and you would update it with 
>the software profile of your specific car.
>Ideally, it would be open source and highly configurable, so that not 
>only could you precisely match the specs of the original computer, but 
>you could also customize as well - modify engine controls to better 
>match a no-longer-stock engine, for example.
>
>Even the really complex electronics of, say, a Hybrid Lexus, are just 
>sensors and software in the end. Getting the manufacturers on board 
>would help in creating the software profile for specific cars, but it 
>wouldn't truly be necessary.
>If the software was reasonably well designed, a basic understanding of 
>the required functions should be enough to backwards engineer the 
>programming for any given model. And of course, you only have to do 
>each model once. Once somebody has figured it out, sharing the 
>programming is as easy as downloading a file from the internet.
>
>There will probably be a cottage industry of software mods as well, 
>like the 'go-faster' chips you can buy in the magazines, only far more 
>sophisticated and customizable.
>
>Hmm, I think I may have just found my million-dollar-idea...
>_______________________________________________
>
>[email-masked]
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html Suggested annual donation  
>$12.75
>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

Regards,
Barrie

Barrie Robinson
MGB GT V8 in concours condition
Aston Martin DB 2/4 MkII under restoration www.AMFClub.com www.britcot.com
www.vectisgroup.ca [email-masked] Barrie, Ontario
705-721-9060
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---
Dit e-mailbericht bevat geen virussen en malware omdat avast! Antivirus-bescherming actief is.
http://www.avast.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]