Subject: Re: [Mgs] [Mg-t] Distributor

From: Rick Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2014 11:11:32 -0600

So true!B 

Its an interesting dichotomy that electronics are getting more compact but smart phones are getting bigger! Then again, B what used to be a communication device is now an entertainment system for millennials.

-------- Original message --------
From: Barrie Robinson <[email-masked]> 
Date: 01/01/2014  11:02 AM  (GMT-06:00) 
To: Dave <[email-masked]>,MG List <[email-masked]> 
Subject: Re: [Mgs] [Mg-t] Distributor 
 
Just as a comparison !B  In the 70's I sold Queen's University 
(|Canada) a string of 8 disc drives and controller which needed an 
air conditioned raised floor, each the size of a modern day washing 
machine, at around $2,500 per month on a 48 month contract.B  Total 
storage was about 30 Mbytes.B B  I just bought 32Gbytes for $32 cash !!

At 05:06 PM 31/12/2013 -0600, Dave wrote:
>Charlie Brown's best friend.B  is he on TV tonite?
>
>-----Original Message----- From: FrankK Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 
>2013 1:58 PM To: Dave ; MG List Subject: Re: [Mgs] [Mg-t] Distributor
>Isn't that Charley Brown's dog?
>-----Original Message----- From: Dave Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 
>2013 12:20 PM To: [email-masked] Subject: Re: [Mgs] [Mg-t] Distributor
>very well said.B  let's get together on this!B  who knows linux?
>
>-----Original Message----- From: [email-masked] Sent: Tuesday, 
>December 31, 2013 1:50 AM To: [email-masked] Subject: Re: [Mgs] 
>[Mg-t] Distributor
>I'm not convinced that the advent of black box solid state 
>electronics will mark the end of the classic car era. Sure, the 
>custom, manufacturer correct parts will become NLA, and these type 
>of electronics are basically unserviceable once they go.
>But consider just how much computing power you can get today in a 
>form factor the size of, say, a phone, and compare that to what was 
>possible even five years ago.
>It's not too far fetched to start to create a programmable 
>aftermarket 'universal car computer'. All you would need to 
>fabricate are the proper wiring connectors for your specific car. 
>The computer would have programmable software modules for any 
>automotive system that might be computer controlled (from ignition 
>to entertainment, and everything in between), and you would update 
>it with the software profile of your specific car.
>Ideally, it would be open source and highly configurable, so that 
>not only could you precisely match the specs of the original 
>computer, but you could also customize as well - modify engine 
>controls to better match a no-longer-stock engine, for example.
>
>Even the really complex electronics of, say, a Hybrid Lexus, are 
>just sensors and software in the end. Getting the manufacturers on 
>board would help in creating the software profile for specific cars, 
>but it wouldn't truly be necessary.
>If the software was reasonably well designed, a basic understanding 
>of the required functions should be enough to backwards engineer the 
>programming for any given model. And of course, you only have to do 
>each model once. Once somebody has figured it out, sharing the 
>programming is as easy as downloading a file from the internet.
>
>There will probably be a cottage industry of software mods as well, 
>like the 'go-faster' chips you can buy in the magazines, only far 
>more sophisticated and customizable.
>
>Hmm, I think I may have just found my million-dollar-idea...
>_______________________________________________
>
>[email-masked]
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Suggested annual donationB  $12.75
>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

Regards,
Barrie

Barrie Robinson
MGB GT V8 in concours condition
Aston Martin DB 2/4 MkII under restoration
www.AMFClub.com
www.britcot.com
www.vectisgroup.ca
[email-masked]
Barrie, Ontario
705-721-9060 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]