Subject: [Mgs] testing a generator from a 62 mga

From: "Clayton Kirkwood" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 15:23:05 -0800

My generator light came on the other day. Got out the voltage meter and
tested across the two connectors as well as one to ground. Nada. So I took
the geny out and found that the two slide connectors were heavily corroded.
My question is: is there a way to check a generator without reinstalling
after scraping the connectors clean? It is a pain in the rear to get in and
out as you know. 

Thanks,

Clayton

"We live in the greatest nation in the history of the world," he pleaded. "I
hope you'll join with me as we try to change it." Barrie Obama
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Eugene Balinski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 19:50:27 -0500

Bring it to any auto parts jobber (Advanced Auto Parts,
etc.)   They will test it for free.

Gene 
80 B

On Sat, 4 Jan 2014 15:23:05 -0800
 "Clayton Kirkwood" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Web mail provided by NuNet, Inc. The Premier National provider.
http://www.nni.com/
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 09:37:28 -0000

You need to spin it from a variable speed source while the F and D terminals 
are connected together.  Monitor the voltage between those terminals and the 
body, and don't let it go above 20v.  If it can get to 20v then it probably 
is OK, usually if the stator or rotor circuits are faulty it won't get 
anywhere near that.  It should reach 20v before the engine it is attached to 
is spinning at 1000rpm, which is why it is better to test it on the engine, 
if you don't have somewhere handy that can do a proper voltage and current 
test.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 

[email-masked]