Subject: [Mgs] German replacement for an SU fuel pump

From: Peter Schauss <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 12:56:40 -0400

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post about the problems I was having
finding a replacement SU fuel pump.  The German pump which I bought from
British Car Specialists turned out to be made by Hardi.

Installation was straightforward except that the body of the pump, where it
goes through the large rubber grommet in forward bulkhead between the rear
axle and the trunk, was a bit smaller than the SU.  I had to add a couple
of rubber strips to make it fit tightly.  In addition, I had to make a
short jumper to ground the negative terminal because it is on the
end of the pump which sits in the trunk instead of on the pump body and the
existing ground  wire, which is underneath the car would not reach.

The pump came with adapters in the intake and output ports with the the
proper threads to connect to the existing pipe/hose fittings.  It did not
come with the gaskets or o-rings for these fittings, so I had to cut a
couple of gaskets to fit.

The pump seems to work pretty much like the old one except that the
thumping noise while it fills up the float bowls is not as loud.

Peter Schauss
1980 MGB
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]