Subject: [Mgs] mgb connecting rods

From: Windows Live Team <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 22:05:29 +0000 FILETIME=[0D0F5D60:01CE9C5F]

Hi.   I'm going to build a hot street engine for MGBGT.  I have a new set of
pistons that fit a 1965 to 1970. My question is which connecting rod is better
the earlier diaginal split one or the later horizonal spit one, and can I use
the later 18V rods with these pistons.   Thanks in advance.      Lorne Fritz
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 17:11:53 -0500

This is a good question.  When I built the engine in my B, I used HC 
pistons and the diagonal split rods in a 18V block, with the '67 stock 
cam profile.  If I was putting together a hot street engine, I'd check 
the weight of the two kinds of rods and go with the lighter ones.

CR

[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 16:05:24 -0700

I would expect them to weigh the same, unless the crank changed as well. And
then they would need to be matched to the correct crank.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149
If you're near Menlo Park, CA,
it's the primer red one with chrome wires

[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 18:43:00 -0500

Hmmm,

   Maybe you should research the subject.

CR
On 8/19/2013 6:05 PM, Max Heim wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 17:08:08 -0700

Ha, I'm not the one building the engine. But it's just a fact that the
rotating assembly needs to be balanced. If you take weight off the
piston/wristpin/rod assembly, you have to balance that by taking weight off
the crankshaft counterweights. Unless you want to just pile weights on the
external balancer and let the crank whip around viciously.

So my guess, given the innate conservatism of the works engineers, would be
that the internal components stayed the same weight throughout the
production run. But, I haven't looked it up.

So my advice to Lorne would be the same as yours -- research these parts
thoroughly to ensure one isn't putting together an unworkable hybrid.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

[email-masked]