Subject: [Mgs] Alternator? problems

From: Simon Matthews <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 20:42:58 -0700

We have a '71 MGB which is having charging problems, I think. The ignition
(red) light on the dashboard only goes out (well, it goes very dim) when
cruising on the freeway.

Is there anything other than the alternator that I should be looking at?
The battery seems to be holding its charge (and I just put in a new battery
due to a misunderstanding).

The alternator appears to have 5 terminals, but only 3 connected. It looks
like the picture in this pdf file:
http://www.mossmotors.com/graphics/products/PDF/130-100.pdf

The Moss replacement describes connecting only 2 terminals (see this note:
http://www.mossmotors.com/graphics/products/PDF/540-280.pdf) , so I am a
little confused about what I have. It looks like 2 of the terminals are
both connected with heavy gauge brown wire, so it would not be unreasonable
to assume a PO has made a redundant connection.

If it is the alternator, should I just replace the whole thing or is there
a likelihood that the diode pack or brushes have failed? As I mentioned, it
does appear that we are getting some current out of it -- unless there is
some other mechanism that could cause the ignition light to be on?

Simon
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]