Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGB vent window opener

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 08:55:41 +0100

The spring *should* be enough to hold the vent open.  There is a brass tube 
on the pivot pin and this should be above the 1/4-light frame, i.e. in the 
vent seal.  Under the 1/4-light frame i.e. in the door cavity there should 
be a washer, then the spring, then another washer, then the nut.  Tightening 
the nut compresses the spring and should squeeze the 1/4-light frame between 
the brass tube and the washer above the spring, and this friction should be 
enough to hold the vent open.  If some of these parts are missing or worn 
out it should be easy enough to remove the vent by undoing the nut under the 
spring, and checking/replacing parts.  However if the brass tube has worn 
through the vent frame you will have to lift the vent seal and probably put 
a washer above as well.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> ... I have the springed screw in the door as
> tight as I dare tighten it, but speed closes it down. 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Barrie Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 08:56:16 -0400

David,

I have been toying with the same idea..  It seems that all one needs 
is a hook to the moveable vent and the other end a hook to the 
chromed divider/channel upright.  I was going to take a photo but I 
have lost my small Canon Powershot camera and I cannot buy a new one 
- No cameras (except expensive SLRs) these days seem to have a 
sighting viewer just an LCD which are pretty useless (although the 
peasants like them).

At 06:39 PM 01/08/2013 -0400, W. David Houser wrote:
>Listers,
>I'm always looking for ways to improve or modify the ways things work on my
>MG's: a TD, MGA Coupe and MGB-GT.
>For the TD, I made an aluminum storage box that fits under the TD storage area
>plywood to hold additional spares for the Circuit of Britain, an L shaped
>bracket to hold open the coupe vent window to maximize the airflow into the
>car and now I want to do the same for the BGT. The BGT doesn't have a screw on
>the door capping but there is a metal channel to which something can be placed
>to hold the vent window full open. I have the springed screw in the door as
>tight as I dare tighten it, but speed closes it down. My question: Has anyone
>thought of a way to do this or have I got to figure it out?
>Cheers,
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

Regards,
Barrie

Barrie Robinson
MGB GT V8 in concours condition
Aston Martin DB 2/4 MkII under restoration
www.AMFClub.com
www.britcot.com
www.vectisgroup.ca
[email-masked]
Barrie, Ontario
705-721-9060 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]