Subject: [Mgs] SU fuel pump availability

From: "Peter Schauss" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 22:34:54 -0400

I tried to order a new fuel pump for my MGB from Moss and found that both
the standard and the electronic versions are on indefinite backorder.
People at British Car Specialists told me that Burlen has suspended
production of these pumps because of failures caused by ethanol in the
gasoline.  BCS is shipping me a German-built replacement for the SU.  I will
let you all know how it works out.

Peter Schauss
1980 MGB 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 20:31:55 -0700

Thanks for this info. I was just thinking of ordering a solid state since I
have had issues with the current unit (a mashup of an oldie and a Moss
points replacement). The new points unit was so poorly constructed I swapped
in the parts from the ancient unit, but now I understandably don't have an
immense amount of faith in it.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149
If you're near Menlo Park, CA,
it's the primer red one with chrome wires
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 09:44:56 -0700

Yep, that's it. It was probably 5 years ago when I bought it. I ran it for a
while, but it was not even as reliable as the old unit, which had almost
left me stranded late at night in the middle of nowhere (coast range btwn
Leggett and Westport CA).

on 8/7/13 12:30 AM, Barney Gaylord at [email-masked] wrote:

> Max,
> 
> DId the bad new erplacement points look something like this:
> http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/faulty/ft037.htm
> 
> This is a five year old problem that may be still hanging around.
> 
> Barney
> 
> 
> At 08:31 PM 8/6/2013 -0700, Max Heim wrote:
>> .... I was just thinking of ordering a solid state since I
>>> ....

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 10:24:03 -0700

That's good to know. But have you looked at the points, though?

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

on 8/7/13 9:58 AM, Tom Daughdrill at [email-masked] wrote:

> I recently got a points type pump from Seven Enterprises with no delay.
> 
> Sent from my iPhone
> 
> On Aug 7, 2013, at 11:54 AM, "Max Heim" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

[email-masked]

---

From: Glenn Schnittke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 12:16:01 -0700

As for the hundreds of thousands out there now, I'd have to say that 
"most" of them are probably fine in terms of ethanol compatibility and 
the older the better. When I got the '67 redcar ten or twelve years ago, 
it had what appeared to be the original on it. When it died it didn't 
leak - the points just gave out. I had four more in the binand it was 
easier to swap out than rebuild, so I took one from the XJ6 stash and 
threw it in. It's been running fine every day for the past two or three 
years, no prob with ethanol. The two in the XJ don't show any trouble 
other than me not finding a suitable groundand they were new eight years 
ago.

However, we've had a fair amount of customers that have had them 
replaced over the past few yearsthey have been problems, so my guess is 
that at some point Burlen changed materials in the wrong direction. I'm 
glad they're addressing the problem - it's not like classic cars aren't 
their prime market or anything like that. <;^)

Regarding compatibility between cars, Id have to say that it's more a 
matter of plumbing and mounting than anything else.

Glenn

On 8/8/2013 11:00 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 10:56:06 +0100
> From: "PaulHunt73"<[email-masked]>
> To: "Peter Schauss"<[email-masked]>,<[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: [Mgs] SU fuel pump availability
> Message-ID: <303D7BDB4CA54EC6B22CB0106366D5A6@paul>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
> 	reply-type=original
>
> It's a bit garbled but the response I got from Burlen is that they have
> supplied 200+ back orders this week and will have cleared them by the end of
> August.  This is following a coil problem last year as well as with
> diaphragms and ethanol more recently, the latter using a new material now.
> Doesn't bode well for the hundreds of thousands of existing pumps out there!
>
> PaulH.

[email-masked]