Subject: Re: [Mgs] SU fuel pump availability

From: Barney Gaylord <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 02:30:07 -0500

Max,

DId the bad new erplacement points look something like this:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/faulty/ft037.htm

This is a five year old problem that may be still hanging around.

Barney

At 08:31 PM 8/6/2013 -0700, Max Heim wrote:
>.... I was just thinking of ordering a solid state since I
>have had issues with the current unit (a mashup of an oldie and a Moss
>points replacement). The new points unit was so poorly constructed I swapped
>in the parts from the ancient unit, but now I understandably don't have an
>immense amount of faith in it.

>on 8/6/13 7:34 PM, Peter Schauss at [email-masked] wrote:
>
> > I tried to order a new fuel pump for my MGB from Moss and found that both
> > the standard and the electronic versions are on indefinite backorder.
> > ....
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "gordies garage" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 07:36:01 -0400 s=q20121106; t=1375875383; bh=w0oIwXkWSVVdVCiBg8JBwMpjsnD4+IqnfRaix9iTQLk=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Reply-To:From:To:Subject:Date: MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=AI/gWZDCTqEv+tG0dQuKWL5heLj/nufEdQmhkEiPEwRxFt+A7RtPrEunJeyXJPz0r ZJltRGdhZXrTI8ZrUTNUgn39fi62je2WnLkDcqiZ83K05jLt3C+zItMY0JbZ4e2a5s VbLqfzjBCrB5g6Qp4+4O5QvGaIGYK9ZYEeJ4ee/VdK8RjIvWwNZtI+kyW703OOHAe9 APzAlXIClcuPbULOrxbINhAdMnEoe5bLP94km4gt85qG82xwKBB+X4N9UWGjaSya6u Em7mvhSwP4QU82EFz4xuJLv4FybvmtYzcklBjiIVSLq/VKD+BCTB4EA66hEAO6RzDE MERIM7UTnaYSw==

Here's a link to several fuel pump rebuilders. 
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/links.html
 I would personally recommend the first on the list, Tom Ball, 330-666-2642 
or 330-867-9800 (no website or email).

Gordie Bird
'62 MGA

--------------------------------------------------
From: "Peter Schauss" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 10:34 PM
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Mgs] SU fuel pump availability

> People at British Car Specialists told me that Burlen has suspended
> production of these pumps because of failures caused by ethanol in the
> gasoline.  BCS is shipping me a German-built replacement for the SU.  I 
> will
> let you all know how it works out.
>
> Peter Schauss
> 1980 MGB
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked] 

[email-masked]

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 13:41:18 -0400

I agree with Gordie.  There are guys out there who rebuild fuel 
pumps, and what you end up with is as good as new.  If you do replace 
your pump and your old one was a genuine SU, don't throw it 
away.  The guys who do the rebuilding are usually looking for cores 
and they will give you a few bucks for it.  As for Burlen, I find it 
hard to believe that they can't come up with a pump that can deal 
with ethanol.  The carbs have to deal with ethanol too.  If they 
can't deal with modern fuel, they will have to discontinue almost 
everything they sell!

-Steve Trovato
[email-masked]

At 07:36 AM 8/7/2013, gordies garage wrote:
>I would personally recommend the first on the list, Tom Ball, 
>330-666-2642 or 330-867-9800 (no website or email).
>
>Gordie Bird
>'62 MGA

[email-masked]

---

From: Andrew Lundgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 12:11:08 -0600

On my '70 I still have my original SU pump.  It is bolted right where it 
was when it quit working 17 years ago and I bypassed it.

The one on the '78 is in the oil pan still...

On 08/07/2013 11:41 AM, Steven Trovato wrote:
> I agree with Gordie.  There are guys out there who rebuild fuel pumps, 
> and what you end up with is as good as new. If you do replace your 
> pump and your old one was a genuine SU, don't throw it away.  The guys 
> who do the rebuilding are usually looking for cores and they will give 
> you a few bucks for it.  As for Burlen, I find it hard to believe that 
> they can't come up with a pump that can deal with ethanol.  The carbs 
> have to deal with ethanol too.  If they can't deal with modern fuel, 
> they will have to discontinue almost everything they sell!
>
> -Steve Trovato
> [email-masked]
>
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 15:33:25 -0500

All,

Just for info, a midget pump can be used for a stock MGB engine. Soon 
after I bought my present B I discovered that a PO had substituted a 
Midget pump into the car in order to provide clearance for a standard  
group 24 battery.

CR

[email-masked]

---

From: Don <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 14:06:20 -0700

[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 10:56:06 +0100

It's a bit garbled but the response I got from Burlen is that they have 
supplied 200+ back orders this week and will have cleared them by the end of 
August.  This is following a coil problem last year as well as with 
diaphragms and ethanol more recently, the latter using a new material now. 
Doesn't bode well for the hundreds of thousands of existing pumps out there!

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 

[email-masked]