Subject: [Mgs] right-rear spring + brake plumbing

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 14:10:09 -0500

Hi Friends,

Been back in the garage.  I have a 3-week hiatus coming up in about 9
days so I have found a natural stopping point; Everything on the
frame, suspension and brakes, to be finished from the hoop back.
Easily achievable, leaving time for another commitment.

A day or two ago, I cleaned and refinished all the right-rear spring
mounting hardware.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1316.JPG

All the rubber bits are in hand too so I had no excuse to not attack
the spring.  What a dirty pain - but worth it.

While waiting for the primer to dry on the spring leaves, I fitted the
shackle bushings.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1317.JPG

Partially reassembled, I primered and painted the spring.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1319.JPG

Here's just a quick picture of the spring going back together,
complete with new rubber pads.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130610_130104.jpg

Once assembled, the spring was mounted on the front bushing and the
rear shackle.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130610_134230.jpg

As with the left hand side, the nuts are not yet tight, awaiting full loading.

A little earlier in the day, and while spring primer and/or paint was
drying, I installed the 4-way block and the new brake line from the
4-way to the rear flex hose.  Here's how it looks after careful
'shaping'.  Again, this is Cu-Al alloy tubing, as supplied by Moss.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130610_134242.jpg

Here's a closer look at the aft end of the line.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130610_134247.jpg

A kinda-ugly bend bend appears in this picture but it is just the
angle of the photograph.  Actually, its three bends; a dog-leg out
from the frame rail and then, a bend to align with the flex line
fitting.  The bolt holding the clamp is one of the new grade #8 bolts
for the dampers.

Here's a look at the forward end at the 4-way.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130610_134256.jpg

That too is a complex bend; one away from the frame rail and the other
to align with the 4-way.

And here's a last picture of that corner.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130610_134316.jpg

I'll post pictures of the right-rear spring mount this evening.  The
spring is mounted but the axle is not yet attached.  Once that work is
done, I can shape and install the right-rear brake line.  That's
actually pretty fun work.  Its a little artistic, getting the bends
clean and neat with everything fitting properly...

-rick, in steamy hot Houston
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]