Subject: Re: [Mgs] Adding oil to steering rack while I have the radiator out

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 23:48:33 -0400

On my Magnette and MGA, when I have the car on jack stands I can push 
on the tires and move the rack from full left to full right and back 
again with relative ease.  When I do this, I can hear the fluid run 
from one side to the other.  I am therefore quite certain that the 
oil is getting everywhere and not just sitting in the bottom of the 
gaiter.  This tells me that there is enough oil in there and I have 
no reason to mess around with trying to add more.  I think that after 
the initial fill, the oil should not go anywhere.  If it does, 
something is leaking, with the gaiters being the prime suspects.

-Steve Trovato
[email-masked]

At 08:07 PM 6/29/2013, Max Heim wrote:
>Yes, but it's very slow. With the front wheels off the ground, you drip a
>little in, turn the wheel, drip some more, turn some more... You are
>basically lubing every tooth in the rack individually.
>
>However, at least you are lubing the rack. With the other method, injecting
>oil into the gaiters, there is no guarantee it willl ever wind up in the
>rack -- certainly not in the center of the rack. For all you know it may
>just slosh around in the bottom of the gaiter indefinitely.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 23:16:30 -0500 (CDT)

As long as we're talking steering parts, anyone know if the present
available rubber gaiters are from the usual suspects are long
lasting?  My 27 y.o. gaiters are starting to show signs of
cracking.  I know some rubber parts have been suspect in the past.

BTW, I fill the rack through the damper openings and the
grease(actually oil) fitting by removing the fitting.  It's slow but
it works.

Thanks,

Dave W.

[email-masked]

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 01:33:52 -0400

I don't know what kind of car you have, but on this list I figure if 
it isn't specified, it's probably an MGB.  If it is, I believe the 
gaiters are available from NAPA and other "mainstream" sources.  If 
you have a TD, you can ignore this response.  And don't expect your 
average counter guy to know  what gaiters are.  Just ask for steering 
rack boots.

-Steve Trovato
[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 08:09:51 -0500 (CDT)

Oops, my bad.  1959 MGA.

Thanks,

Dave W.

> you have a TD, you can
ignore this response.  And don't expect your
> average counter guy
to know  what gaiters are.  Just ask for steering

[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 08:21:03 -0500

Yep; that's the additional job the gaiters do other than just holding 
the oil in.  The gaiters pump the oil from side to side via one gaiter 
collapsing while the other is elongating as the wheels are turned from 
side to side.

CR
On 6/29/2013 10:48 PM, Steven Trovato wrote:
> from one side to the other.  I am therefore quite certain that the oil 
> is getting everywhere and not just sitting in the bottom of the 
> gaiter.  This tells me that there is enough oil in there and I have no 
> reason to mess around with trying to add more.  I think that after the 
> initial fill, the oil should not go anywhere.  If it does, something 
> is leaking, with the gaiters being the prime suspects.
>
> -Steve Trovato
> [email-masked]

[email-masked]