Subject: [Mgs] Adding oil to steering rack while I have the radiator out

From: Simon Matthews <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 16:59:55 -0700

Can I add oil to the steering rack via the cover (where the steering column
connects into the rack) that is easy to access while I have the radiator
out?

Simon
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 00:04:50 GMT

Yes.  Clean it well, then lift off the cover plate, any shims, and pick out
the spring and damper plunger.
  One third pint is the amount for first filling, according to the manual.
Bob

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Simon Matthews <[email-masked]>
To: MGS <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Mgs] Adding oil to steering rack while I have the radiator out
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 16:59:55 -0700

Simon

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 17:07:10 -0700

Yes, but it's very slow. With the front wheels off the ground, you drip a
little in, turn the wheel, drip some more, turn some more... You are
basically lubing every tooth in the rack individually.

However, at least you are lubing the rack. With the other method, injecting
oil into the gaiters, there is no guarantee it willl ever wind up in the
rack -- certainly not in the center of the rack. For all you know it may
just slosh around in the bottom of the gaiter indefinitely.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149
If you're near Menlo Park, CA,
it's the primer red one with chrome wires

[email-masked]