Subject: [Mgs] Refinishing Armstrong dampers

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 12:14:19 -0500

Hello Friends,

Today I refinished the left-rear damper and ran it through its full
extent of travel, compression and rebound.  It moved smoothly with
more resistance in compression - as designed.  Once the paint has
cured for another day, I'll open the filler port and check/top-up the
fluid.  I also checked the 'silent-blocks' on the link, or whatever,
and verified that they were viable.

Here's the 'essence of nasty' during cleaning and degreasing.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130611_075008.jpg

Once clean and free of grease, I decided that the aluminum finish was
just too stained to look nice - so I sprayed it with 'Cast Coat
Aluminum' engine paint.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130611_075021.jpg

I then painted the arm and link black and mounted it to the frame.
The new bolts I used are about 20mm too long.  I'll change them out
for the correct length bolts once I get back to the hardware store.
Here are a series of pictures, mostly virtual duplicates.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130611_114349.jpg

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130611_114355.jpg

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130611_114408.jpg

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130611_114410.jpg

The right-hand damper is on the workbench with most of the crud
scraped off.  I haven't started with the degreaser.  I got hot, dirty
and hungry. :-P  Perhaps I can finish the cleanup and also install it
today.  I also need to clean and spray the right-rear handbrake cable
with clear-coat, just as I did for the left hand side.

With best regards,

-rick
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Don <[email-masked]> mail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 11:25:42 -0700

Rick,
My experience has been that if an old lever action shock is covered 
with oily greasy stuff, it is leaking and that is why it is 
dirty.  If it isn't leaking, it should be pretty much clean.  Just my 
tupence of MG experience.  Perhaps others can chime in on this, but 
from what I have seen, the shocks will generally be clean if the 
seals are still sealing.
Don

[email-masked]