Subject: [Mgs] TD work starts again

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 10:21:19 -0500

Hi Friends,

I did a little cleaning today plus the first bit of reassembly.

First up was installing the flex hose for the rear brakes.  The hose
didn't come with the copper sealing washer nor did it include the nut
and lockwasher for the upstream end.  Therefore, I used a new Cu
washer and refinished the old nut and lockwasher.  Here's how it looks
now.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130603_092218.jpg

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130603_092224.jpg

And that's as far as I could go.  The new hard lines are due to arrive
tomorrow.  They are supplied simply coiled and therefore, have to
shape them to the application.  Fortunately, I have a tubing bending
tool.

With that tiny bit of work complete, I cleaned and sprayed the left
rear spring mounts and shackles  plus the battery bracket.  Here they
are with the paint drying.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130603_095000e.jpg

You may have noticed that one of the shackle pins is still in the
shackle.  Its stuck.  I could muscle it out but its just easier to
clean it up in situ.  No big deal and no buggered threads!  Also
arriving tomorrow will be all the rubber bits needed to reassemble the
rear springs.  With new rubber bushings in hand, I'll also be able to
reassemble the whole left rear corner.

While the suspension paint was drying I removed the manifolds.  I had
removed the carbs and exhaust earlier.  The inlet manifold sits dirty
on the workbench but the exhaust manifold has been restored.  Here's
how it looked right after removal and before cleaning with wire
brushes.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130603_074142.jpg

I don't have the equipment to spray aluminum vapor at home (or
anywhere) so I used high heat paint.  Once clean of surface rust and
degreased, I sprayed it with high-heat manifold paint, using flat
aluminum color.  Here's hot it looks now.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130603_080448.jpg

The manifold clamps were also aluminum coated so I painted them with
the same manifold paint.  Forgot to take a picture.  Attachment nuts
are black.

Happy Monday!

-rick
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]