Subject: [Mgs] Parking/turn light

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 19:01:38 -0500

A month or so ago I ran into a overzealous, IMO, safety inspector who 
wanted to fail my '69 MGB because the parking lamp on the right front 
didn't work although the turn signal lamp did.  When I told him it had 
been that way for years and didn't matter, he said, "If it's on there it 
has to work."  So I told him to show me in the TX state regs.  He 
couldn't, because it's not on his pass/fail check list, which I knew.  
So, he reluctantly issued the safety sticker.

So, last week Peg 'n I were taking a MGB back-road ride when the upper 
radiator hose sprung a leak.   Topped it back up and got home alright.  
I have spare radiator hoses in the car so I changed both of them the 
next day,  including the heater hoses.   So then I needed to replace the 
spare radiator hoses.   Having in mind the hassle with the safety 
inspector, I figured to order the hoses and the hardware to repair the 
park/turn lamp fixture.  Then the mail-order fun began!

I've been chasing my tail on line trying to buy a park & turn backplate, 
with the bulb sockets & wires, for my '69 B.  Moss & LBC don't list the 
backplate separately; nor does the catalog show the backplate as part of 
the whole assembly that they sell.  VB shows the backplate separately 
but can't tell me if it is complete with the bulb sockets and wiring.  
RF, forget it.

Anyone renewed this part of the car?  Bought these parts and can tell me 
what came in the box?

Ed?  Kelvin?  Halp!!

CR
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 11:37:44 +0100

My UK ones came complete with wires and all the bits necessary to make 
contact with the centre pins, even though all these plus the rear 
grommet/seal are removable.  The sockets i.e. the parts that the body of the 
bulb contacts are crimped or pressed or whatever to be part of the 
backplate.  The backplate comes complete with lenses, rim and internal seal, 
although these latter parts are available separately.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lucas-L677-Side-Indicator-Lamp-MGB-Roadster-Aston-Martin-Spitfire-BHA4966-/190853252636?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c6fbd861c 
This one even includes the body seal.

I don't think much of a supplier that doesn't know something like this or 
wouldn't go and look.  But then I suppose they would rather sit at their 
computer screen doing what you do if you order online.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 

[email-masked]