Subject: [Mgs] Moss headlamp relay kit

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 18:55:00 -0700

I installed this kit today. It didn't seem to take too long. The total time
I spent included a bunch of unrelated items that felt I had to deal with
(the offside horn bracket was loose, the grill braces were not all secured
with the same type of screw, and so forth).

I mounted it on the front of the radiator bulkhead, just above the oil
cooler hoses. This was just about as far from the headlight wiring junctions
as the provided wiring allowed. I actually wanted it on the inside of the
bulkhead (less conspicuous), but the runs were too short. I used an existing
hole (one of a pair). The relay pack seemed secure with one screw and I
didn't want to drill (too many unused holes already).

>From this position the wiring runs could follow the existing harness. I
actually ran them through the existing cable loops under the bonnet latch
crosspiece, so it's all one bundle. In the other direction, I ran the
relatively short ground wire to a coil bracket mounting screw (body ground),
and the hot wire followed the (much modified) harness to the firewall
(tucked into the existing bundle), then down to the big stud on the starter.
I trimmed off about 3 or 4 feet of excess red wire -- I don't know where
they thought I might go with it. OTOH I would have appreciated a longer
ground wire so I could reach an engine ground.

Flicking on the switch (engine off, broad daylight in the carport), the
headlights seemed less yellow, at least. I'm eager to test it after dark,
but that's kind of a long wait at this time of year.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149
If you're near Menlo Park, CA,
it's the primer red one with chrome wires
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]