Subject: [Mgs] Got the shag carpet ripped out of the trunk...

From: Andrew Lundgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 13:57:46 -0600

Now what to do about the hardened old nasty glue residue?

I would like to get the glue remnants off the paint w/o damaging the 
paint.  Is there any hope in that?  I have 2 teenage boys that get to 
drive this car and can supply plenty of elbow grease!

If not, I guess I could pick up a black trunk carpet kit, but I would 
rather just go bare metal at this point...

--
Andrew
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 13:31:07 -0700

on 6/3/13 12:57 PM, Andrew Lundgren at [email-masked] wrote:

> paint.  Is there any hope in that?

Oog, not much. Probably hard enough to find a solvent that will remove the
glue without requiring hazmat gear. Paint would likely be collateral damage.

> I have 2 teenage boys that get to

The carpet idea would be a lot less work. I wouldn't glue it down,
however...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149
If you're near Menlo Park, CA,
it's the primer red one with chrome wires
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Barney Gaylord <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 22:59:48 -0500

Andrew, --

Try Goof-Off, which will likely work, but may require a fair amount 
of the stuff at a premium price to do a large area.

If you don't mind messing with the stuff, I have found that gasoline 
makes a pretty good solvent for carpet adhesive.  Let it soak, scrape 
gently with a putty knife, finish by rubbing with wire wool.  If you 
have enough elbow grease it gets there eventually.  Apply all 
admonitinos, advice and safety precautions for working with flamable 
solvents.  I did this one successfully: 
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/restore/pics2/3468.jpg

If youi don't klike gasoline, then mineral spirits may work, just 
slower, more time consuming (lots of time).  Try a spritz od WD-40 
(which is mostly mineral spirits).

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguuer.com

At 01:57 PM 6/3/2013 -0600, Andrew Lundgren wrote:
>paint.  Is there any hope in that?  I have 2 teenage boys that get 
>to drive this car and can supply plenty of elbow grease!
>....

[email-masked]

---

From: Duvall Video Productions <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 14:12:21 -0500

[email-masked]