Subject: [Mgs] Tuesday's work...

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 17:14:41 -0500

Hello Friends,

It was a long, fun day.  Today I worked on gauges, switches and
instruments.  Here are a few pictures to photo-document the work.

First is a picture of the the speedometer, just as it came out of the dash.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1062.jpg

Now I'm going to do a bait-n-switch and show pictures of the tach
being restored first.  I just didn't have a 'before' of the tach.

Here's how the back end of the instrument looks.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1059.JPG

First step was to remove the clock and clean its face.  Notice that
the minute hand shows rust.  Both hands will be cleaned and painted
before reassembly.  Also, notice how much the dial has faded over the
past 60 years!

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1061.JPG

I cleaned the works with a uber-fine brush and degreaser, then added a
tiny bit of clock oil.  I then attached power but no joy.  I switched
the power supply to show current and it registered zero.  Looks like
the coil is open.  Or...I'm no watchmaker!

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1060.JPG

Here's a look at the tack after refurbishing, sitting next to the
untouched speedo.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1065.JPG

And before anyone goes ballistic, yes I did paint the trim ring medium
brown.  It was rusted and I don't have
60-year-faded-metallic-aqua-paint on the shelf!  I thought about using
black, white, silver, or left un-refinished and rusty.  I then decided
to paint the trim ring the same color that the instrument panel will
be!  Some day the right paint might become available and I can correct
this 'error'.  Until then, at least it will look intentional.

Here's a look at both instruments, ready to re-install.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1066.JPG

You might have noticed that the two instruments' faces are slightly
different color.  They are both labeled '53' and probably just
represent the variability coming from the manufacturer.

Moving on to other work, here's a look at the starter-pull, nicely
refinished.  Note the pitting on the chrome.  This is as good as I
could make it.  The Bakelite knob has a coat of (Krylon) clear gloss
acrylic, giving it that deep brown, new Bakelite appearance.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1069.JPG

Here is a picture of the rest of the afternoon's work.  The ignition
and lighting switch knob was refinished with acrylic, just like
described above.  The chrome was polished and is now ready for the
inner portion of the chrome to be painted, leaving the chrome ring.
The Ammeter was also refurbished but it really just needed cleaning
and the chrome polished.  Finally, the horn-push is shown.  It is
reassembled with incorrect screws but they are holding everything
together.  I'll replace the screws before installation.

And finally, here are a couple of yet-to-do projects!  Not pictured
are the remaining switches and knobs.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1070.JPG

And that's it.  At the end of the day, the results may seem pretty
small, but the amount of work to get this far is huge.

With best regards,

-rick
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Dan DiBiase <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 06:44:52 -0700 (PDT)

Looking good, Rick..... man, I wish I was retired!!!

Dan D
'76 B
'65 B
Central NJ USA

________________________________
 From: Richard Lindsay
<[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Neil
Shannon <[email-masked]>; Rui Gigante <[email-masked]> 
Sent:
Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:14 PM
Subject: [Mgs] Tuesday's work...
 
Hello
Friends,

First is a
picture of the the speedometer, just as it came out of the dash.
http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1062.jpg

Now I'm going to do a bait-n-switch
and show pictures of the tach
being restored first.  I just didn't have a
'before' of the tach.

First step was to remove the clock and
clean its face.  Notice that
the minute hand shows rust.  Both hands will be
cleaned and painted
before reassembly.  Also, notice how much the dial has
faded over the
past 60 years!

I
cleaned the works with a uber-fine brush and degreaser, then added a
tiny bit
of clock oil.  I then attached power but no joy.  I switched
the power supply
to show current and it registered zero.  Looks like
the coil is open. 
Or...I'm no watchmaker!

Here's a look
at the tack after refurbishing, sitting next to the
untouched speedo.
http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1065.JPG

And before anyone goes ballistic, yes
I did paint the trim ring medium
brown.  It was rusted and I don't have
60-year-faded-metallic-aqua-paint on the shelf!  I thought about using
black,
white, silver, or left un-refinished and rusty.  I then decided
to paint the
trim ring the same color that the instrument panel will
be!  Some day the
right paint might become available and I can correct
this 'error'.  Until
then, at least it will look intentional.

Here's a look at both instruments,
ready to re-install.

You might have
noticed that the two instruments' faces are slightly
different color.  They
are both labeled '53' and probably just
represent the variability coming from
the manufacturer.

Moving on to other work, here's a look at the starter-pull,
nicely
refinished.  Note the pitting on the chrome.  This is as good as I
could make it.  The Bakelite knob has a coat of (Krylon) clear gloss
acrylic,
giving it that deep brown, new Bakelite appearance.
http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1069.JPG

Here is a picture of the rest of the
afternoon's work.  The ignition
and lighting switch knob was refinished with
acrylic, just like
described above.  The chrome was polished and is now ready
for the
inner portion of the chrome to be painted, leaving the chrome ring.
The Ammeter was also refurbished but it really just needed cleaning
and the
chrome polished.  Finally, the horn-push is shown.  It is
reassembled with
incorrect screws but they are holding everything
together.  I'll replace the
screws before installation.

And finally, here are a couple of yet-to-do
projects!  Not pictured
are the remaining switches and knobs.
http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1070.JPG

And that's it.  At the end of the day,
the results may seem pretty
small, but the amount of work to get this far is
huge.

With best regards,

-rick

[email-masked]
Donate:
Archive:
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]