Subject: [Mgs] Repairing the wood

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 18:38:36 -0500

Hello Friends,

I found a few minutes this evening so I started the hole-filling process.

If you read my earlier post, you may remember that some PO (before
Bill) installed a new interior, perhaps two in the 60 years since it
left England.  In those cases the POs did not pull the tacks from
earlier work but rather, they just drove tacks between them.  I pulled
them all.

This evening I began driving glue and toothpicks into the tack holes.
In many cases, two toothpicks were required to infill the hole!  I did
not get too far along in the process because bending over the tub
makes my old back ache.  I also did not repair the screw holes or glue
the small splits at a couple of screw holes.  But I will.

Here are a couple of pictures of the repairs, just started.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130421_175804.jpg

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130421_175825.jpg

You might notice in that last picture that the wood is pretty chewed
up down at the end, not far from the door opening.  I'll infill that
area with plastic wood, or Bondo, or glue and sawdust, or something.
Anyway, the goal will be to rebuild the corner, just to support the
metal.

Tomorrow, with the glue cured, I'll clip the toothpicks off with wire
cutters and sand the repairs smooth.  I'll then move along the tub
continuing the repairs.

-rick
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]