Subject: [Mgs] MGs in the big city

From: "Councill, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 20:30:33 +0000

I had been planning on sending a variation of this email out as I had a
question on MG daily driving in the big city. Due to several reasons, I
decided to look for a new job in the Northwest Pacific (USA) in the
Portland/Seattle region. I applied for a few jobs but one of my nagging
concerns was driving. I have 3 MGs and a Land Rover that I drive. Yet during
my many trips to Seattle and Portland, I have never seen any LBCs on the road,
except when car shows are being held. Does anyone use their MGs as daily
drivers in these or other big cities? I did apply for a position at Portland
State University but they indicate that they discourage commuters, preferring
employees to use public transportation.

However, my question may be somewhat moot now, except for curiosity. During my
job search, I came upon a job in eastern Washington at Washington State
University. Not quite the area I was originally looking at (as its about 250
miles to the east) but it looked interesting and the job was at a much larger
university than the one I currently work at (Montana State University). So I
applied and checked the place out. A large university (20.000+ students) in a
rural community - rolling wheat field terrain with lots of small towns. Just
got the job offer today so I am excited with the move. I just have to make
sure I find a place in one of the surrounding towns and I will have a nice
work 10 mile plus commute on two lane highways with lots of curves. It is
going to be great driving. Anyone one else in the area
(Spokane-Pullman-Moscow)?

David Councill
64 B
67 BGT
72 B
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 14:30:22 -0700

I would have said that Portland & Seattle had a fairly thriving LBC
community, but still, you have to consider... out of a million people, how
many of them are driving their LBCs on a given day, and happen to cross your
path? For a more rigorous sampling, stake out a vantage point near 5 or 84
during commute hours.

Here in the Bay Area I see one maybe every couple of weeks, but I don't get
out much (I might only drive 4 times in two weeks). But when I do drive into
SF or Oakland, I'm just as likely to use the MGB as anything else. I don't
see any downside (other than rain -- this is a larger factor in the NW --
it's a factor for me because my top seals leak and I have summer tires) --
it gets great mileage, is nimble in traffic, and is easy to park. Of course,
mine already has an urban-industrial patina -- some people might be
concerned about vandalism or parking scrapes.

Anyway, I believe we have at least one other Pullman resident on the list.
Aaron, I think?

Should be lots of nice drives in the area, up the hills or down the gorge.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149
If you're near Menlo Park, CA,
it's the primer red one with chrome wires

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149
If you're near Menlo Park, CA,
it's the primer red one with chrome wires
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Aaron Whiteman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 16:24:07 -0700

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 4, 2013, at 1:30 PM, "Councill, David" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Just

David, first congratulations on the job. Go Cougs!

As for your question, there's at least me (Pullman), and while I haven't seen
much this year, in the past I've always seen 1-2 MGs and discos around town.
I think the student with the classic mini is gone, unfortunately.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]