Subject: Re: [Mgs] Wood eye?!

From: Barrie Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 15:46:59 -0400

Rick,

I have been through an Austin Healey, MGB GT V8 and now a 1957 Aston 
Martin so I am well versed in an explosion of parts !   I have a 
garage full of bits, a workshop in the house with 8 big Rubbermaid 
cupboards, workbench with peg board back.............all with parts 
!  Despite my experience with the first two cars I still did not take 
enough photos and not enough "general" ones.   Thank god for digital 
cameras - I spent a fortune on photos for the AH.  I also did not do 
enough hand drawn diagrams.  Incidently, the Aston is far far more 
complicated than the MGB and takes a lot of room.  For instance, on 
the MGB the front torsion bar (ant-sway bar) is a bare rod held to 
the chassis with two rubber sleeved brackets.   The Aston torsion bar 
has a three piece cast aluminium assembly each with 12 bolts to hold 
them together, 4 (that's four) ball and needle bearings, splined high 
grade steel torsion bar,  and it is filled with oil !!  That alone 
takes an acre of ground :-).

At 07:45 AM 07/04/2013 -0500, you wrote:
>Morning Friends,B
>
>B The garage/shop is a mess. B The guy who wrote, "A disassembled 
>car takes up three times the space of an assembled one." really 
>understood the process! B Actually, I've been quite good at keeping 
>my tools clean and organized but I have to admit, the workbenches 
>are now covered with little piles of screws and brackets. B Its time 
>for a cleanup and sorting bits into labeled ZipLoc baggies.
>
>With the benches cleared and clean I can get back to repairing wood. 
>B I have one corner on the glovebox door left to repair and a number 
>of places on the inner facia board to re-cement. B Delaminating 
>plywood layers, just as on the door. B There's also a big crack, 
>split really, on the lower edge where oversized wood screws were 
>used to reattach the under-dash trim panel. B That split too will be 
>glued back together. B Pictures to follow once I get my lazy butt up 
>and going this morning.B
>
>I started on the floorboards yesterday, taking the seats out and 
>vacuuming years of dirt, decaying carpet bits and mouse nest debris 
>away. B Of course, a couple of the seat rail bolts twisted off but 
>that's okay. They will be replaced anyway. B I then decided that I 
>had had enough for the day and didn't want to wallow around on the 
>garage floor fighting rusted floorboard nuts and bolts. B And that's 
>probably why I left the garage a mess. B Well, that and Nancy's 
>reminder that I said I'd help with the spring cleaning. :-o
>
>Retirement is really busy! B I may have to go back to work just to slow down!
>
>-rick
>Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII - the rectangle with rounded 
>corners, just like a BlackBerry.
>_______________________________________________
>
>[email-masked]
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

Regards

Barrie
[email-masked]
705-721-9060 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]