Subject: Re: [Mgs] won't start

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 15:11:30 +0100

If it started OK after sitting 7 months, runs fine, but won't start after a 
short switch-off, I don't really see it being fuel, although a year in the 
tank is a long time especially considering what I hear about American fuels.

Ether is likely to mask all sorts of problems - fuel and ignition.  It may 
well make it start more easily, but it's just covering up a fault (or 
faults) that should be diagnosed and fixed properly.

Running the float chambers dry (disconnect the pump and run the engine till 
it conks out) then hook up a temporary container with fresh fuel to gravity 
feed the carbs (single feed to both carbs as normal with HIFs I presume) 
will eliminate the fuel.

But I'd also be checking the spark and seeing if the plugs are wet or smell 
strongly of fuel after cranking for a while with no start.  manual choke I 
presume, are you using that when trying to restart?

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> .. How can I check to see if it is bad gas? 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Monte Jane Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:28:56 -0500

OK, no ether:). The car won't start now, so running the carbs dry is a no
go. I'll check the plugs after cranking. It has a manual choke that I
always use, winter and summer (briefly), when starting cold.

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 9:11 AM, PaulHunt73 <[email-masked]>wrote:

> If it started OK after sitting 7 months, runs fine, but won't start after
> a short switch-off, I don't really see it being fuel, although a year in
> the tank is a long time especially considering what I hear about American
> fuels.
>
> Running the float chambers dry (disconnect the pump and run the engine
> till it conks out) then hook up a temporary container with fresh fuel to
> gravity feed the carbs (single feed to both carbs as normal with HIFs I
> presume) will eliminate the fuel.
>
> But I'd also be checking the spark and seeing if the plugs are wet or
> smell strongly of fuel after cranking for a while with no start.  manual
> choke I presume, are you using that when trying to restart?
>
> PaulH.
>

[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 23:04:40 -0500

Check and see if the points are opening all the way, then pull a piece 
of clean white paper, double folded,  through them to eliminate dirt, 
etc.  Lube the rubbing block while you're in there. Then make sure you 
have a good spark. Remember, most carb problems are in the ignition.

CR

[email-masked]