Subject: [Mgs] TD body, door experiment

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 18:36:03 -0500

Hello Friends,

Today was a play-with-grand-baby-day, except for a couple of hours
this afternoon.  In that free time, I removed the driver's door and
began the process of stripping paint.  Yea, this work is WAY premature
but please consider it an exploratory experiment.  Here are a few
pictures;

Starting off, here's a look inside of the driver's door.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1146.JPG

As you can see, the latch mechanism has been removed.  Here's a little
closer look at that end of the door.  You can see that the timbers are
in good shape.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1147.JPG

Over at the hinge-end, you can see there's a little more surface rust,
but nothing hatefull or beyond what a wire brushing and a coat of
POR15 can't handle.  Same is true of the body and hinge attachment.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1148.JPG

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1149.JPG

The 'stop' is in good shape as are the hinges.  They're adequately
tight yielding no door sag.

I removed the bolts securing the door to the hinges.  That was a tough
one!  The bolts are rusted nastily and will have to be replaced.  Moss
sells a kit of all screws and bolts to redo the doors.

I took the door to the workbench and began stripping paint.  Aircraft
Stripper was used.  Here's how it looks.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1177.JPG

You can see the places where the surface rust has eaten into the metal
- especially at the edges.  The metal is NOT perforated and once
sanded and sealed, will be just fine.  Here's a closer look at the
lower edge.  Please remember that nothing has yet been sanded or
ground away.  This is just how it looks with the paint stripped.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1178.JPG

Tomorrow I will finish stripping the paint and go after the rust with
the sander.  I'll also flip the door over, tighten the screws and
re-seat or replace the nails, as required, THEN add POR15 to the
cleaned, rusty areas.  More pictures posted then.

-rick
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]