Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGB front suspension

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 15:26:24 +0100

What speed?  Shouldn't be heavy at speed, most people do castor reduction to 
help with parking speeds.  While both mine are pretty heavy when parking 
once rolling at any speed I'm not aware of steering, almost like just having 
to think it round and it goes round.  What's it like with the front wheels 
off the ground?  You should be able to turn it easily from lock to lock with 
a little finger-tip.  Problems in the rack and king-pins will make that 
heavier.  Lack of grease in the king-pins will probably make turning with 
the wheels on the ground even heavier.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> ... the steering is very heavy
> at speed on winding roads. 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Barrie Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 12:23:40 -0400

DV,

I fitted camber adjusting shims which were little plastic wedges  I 
think they are on the www.britcot.com website.  Did not seem to make 
a big difference but my steering has always been pretty light - but 
then again I am in the world of TDs, TRs and Healeys so my light 
maybe your heavy.   Using power steering rather destroys ones notion 
of he-man steering

At 09:52 AM 4/7/2013 -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
>Anyone have any experience with Castor adjustment shims or negative 
>camber control arms?
>I have a '76 MGB that has been lowered front and back, has a 3/4" 
>front sway bar and 15 "  wheels
>with radial tires.  The car is a daily driver and handles great on 
>the interstate but the steering is very heavy
>at speed on winding roads.  Looking for suggestions on improving the 
>handling and ride quality.
>Tks.
>DV
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

Regards

Barrie
[email-masked]
705-721-9060 

[email-masked]

---

From: Richard Ewald <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 09:32:08 -0700

There is a reason early Bs had a huge steering wheel, and wasn't for looks.
Assuming no mechanical issues reducing the caster will lower the steering
effort, but will also reduce the steering system tendency to return to
straight ahead.
Driving a car without enough caster is a PITA as far as I am concerned YMMV.
Rick.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 7, 2013, at 6:52, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The car is a daily driver and handles great on the interstate but the
steering is very heavy
> at speed on winding roads.  Looking for suggestions on improving the
handling

[email-masked]