Subject: [Mgs] Won't start

From: Monte Jane Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 23:50:05 -0500

<I'm getting ready to do diagnostics to see why my 79B (with HIF's and a
dizzy) won't start.  Last November, after sitting for 7 months, it started
and I drove it 8 miles to town. I had trouble restarting it twice while in
town, although it did start after cranking for probably 30 seconds. It ran
fine on the highway back home, but wouldn't start again once I shut it
off.  How can I check to see if it is bad gas? The gas in the tank is about
a year old. Can I squirt ether into the carbs without any harm?
Thanks,
Monte>

Today I did the following from my saved files that others have suggested
over the years:

To test the solenoid contacts, I ran a jumper from a brown wire to the Coil
+terminal: No spark.
I took out #4 plug and grounded it to the block: NO spark.
With the dizzy cap off, I cranked it and did once (only once) see sparks
between the points. Later I pulled the HT lead off the dizzy and grounded
it and cranked: No spark.
I have power on both sides of the second fuse up.
I tested the primary coil circuit by connecting a voltmeter between the +
coil terminal and ground w/ the points closed and ignition on and got
Battery voltage.
I closed the points and tested voltage between the neg coil terminal and
ground and got 0 volts with the ignition on.
I checked the primary winding on the coil and got Battery Voltage by
connecting the - coil terminal and ground w/ ignition on. I also tested
continuity between + and - coil terminals and registered .1 ohms.  The
continuity between coil negative and the HT outlet was 400-600 ohms;
Somewhere I read this should be 8000-11500 ohms???
I substituted a new starter relay to no avail. But the relay DOES NOT CLICK
during or after cranking.
I drew a piece of 600 grit sandpaper between the points.
A small amount of gas is on the plug after cranking.
Today, I found a systematic troubleshooting flowchart on Paul's site that
I'll try tomorrow.
Any suggestions of observations from the above?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]