Subject: Re: [Mgs] Remote starter

From: Richard Ewald <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 16:25:55 -0700

One of the alligator clips to a battery positive, usually the big fat
battery cable that feeds the starter.  The other alligator clip to the
small wire from the key that attaches to the solenoid.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 08:37:44 +0100

>From 1970 MGBs had a starter relay, and as the solenoid takes quite a bit of 
current it's best to connect your pushbutton between the purple wire at the 
fusebox (as that is live and fused) and the white/red on the starter relay. 
The 79 has two relays, the other is the ignition relay.  The starter relay 
is probably the one on the bulkhead side of the fusebox, and the ignition 
relay on the other side of the fusebox.  Both have brown and black wires, 
the starter relay also has a thin white/red and thicker white/brown, the 
ignition relay has white and white/brown wires.  If the colours have faded 
or got mucky you can confirm which is the *ignition* relay as that will 
click as you turn the ignition on and off, so the starter relay will be the 
other one.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> ... Where under the bonnet do I
> hook the red and black alligator clips attached to the remote starter?

[email-masked]

---

From: "Hans Duinhoven" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 11:29:32 +0200

Are these named alligator clips? IMHO these are pretty small - does the name
Hippo clips exist?

Cheers,
Hans

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Namens
Richard Ewald
Verzonden: donderdag 11 april 2013 1:26
Aan: Monte Jane Morris
CC: MG list
Onderwerp: Re: [Mgs] Remote starter

One of the alligator clips to a battery positive, usually the big fat
battery cable that feeds the starter.  The other alligator clip to the small
wire from the key that attaches to the solenoid.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 10:49:41 +0100

Alligator clips were always small in my day, and fine for spades on things 
like the fusebox and starter relay, although these are often shrouded.  You 
certainly wouldn't want to go back to the battery with one lead when there 
is 12v in the engine compartment anyway.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> battery cable that feeds the starter. 

[email-masked]

---

From: "P. Chast" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 10:13:43 -0400

Hi

It should be noted that it takes verrrry little current to turn
on the relay that provides the power to start the car. So those
alligator clips are more than sufficient. The remote starter would
burn up if used to provide current to the starter directly.

Pete

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:  
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

-- 
Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]