Subject: Re: [Mgs] Coming to life

From: "Hans Duinhoven" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 09:55:25 +0200

Verify if all high current connections are tight fit.
Lose connections often are involved in these kind of Lucas gremlins....

Cheers,
Hans

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Namens
Paul Root
Verzonden: zondag 28 april 2013 0:35
Aan: MG List
Onderwerp: [Mgs] Coming to life

The weather finally broke this week. Snow on Tuesday, 73F today.

Yesterday, I got my '77B out of storage. It drove the 15 miles home on the
freeway wonderfully, with the top down of course.

However, it wouldn't start. We tried 2 different batteries, and with a
professional charger, with start boost. Nothing. Fortunately, we had a nice
little decline for a bump start.

I charged my battery over night, and messured it at 13.4. When cranking, it
will drop to the high 11 range.  What I get is you can here what sounds like
the starter turning very slowly. Not the click and nothing you associate
with a dead battery. The fuel pump clicks normally.

So I'm going to pull the starter, perhaps tonight.  But is there anything
else I should try first. Can I bench test the starter, or is that better
left to the autoparts store.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 08:50:34 +0100

Only dropping to 11v, plus slow cranking, is an indication of bad 
connections somewhere in the cranking circuit as Hans says.  Ordinarily you 
can expect a drop to about 10v with a good cranking speed.

Where did you measure the 11v?  The fault will further on towards the 
starter from that, so you can use the meter at the batteries, solenoid etc. 
to narrow it down.  Also measure between the engine and a body earth, which 
should show zero (or very low) volts while cranking.  Voltage in that test 
indicates the engine/gearbox earth is bad.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> the starter turning very slowly. 

[email-masked]

---

From: Paul Root <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 06:58:29 -0500

Thanks for all the thoughts. Everything is pointing toward the ground. I
didn't have anytime this past weekend unfortunately. And by the looks of it, I
don't have time during the week.

> Where did you measure the 11v?  The fault will further on towards the
starter from that, so you can use the meter at the batteries, solenoid etc. to
narrow it down.  Also measure between the engine and a body earth, which
should show zero (or very low) volts while cranking.  Voltage in that test
indicates the engine/gearbox earth is bad.

[email-masked]