Subject: Re: [Mgs] Wassup?

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 12:37:47 GMT

The sagging old foams in my '72 GT needed replacement. Spring, 2012, I
installed Moss foams. Instruction I read somewhere suggested trimming one inch
from seat foam, if needed, though not how to determine "if  needed".
   Moss may buy from different suppliers, as our club members have had
different experiences.
   Seat bottoms are higher than before, perhaps 1/2 inch, which is fine for me
(5'11", 150 lbs), but a taller or lighter driver would want to cut them down a
bit.
   The great improvement is that the seats are now firm. The old rubber had
the support of bread dough, and one did not feel connected to the seat
regardless of seat belt tension.
  Seat bottom foams are easy to replace.
Bob

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
To: "James Schulte" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>,
"[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Wassup?
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 08:52:35 -0000

Good luck with the foams.  I've been in a GT with new foams and my head was
brushing the roof, I've heard of other people not being able to get their
legs under the steering wheel, the only solution seems to be to cut about an
inch off the bottom.  I've just had a copy of Don Hayter's 'The MGB Story'
which makes interesting reading coming as it does from someone who was there
from before the MGB to the close down.  He says they spent a very long time
experimenting with the foam manufacturer with various densities and
thicknesses before they came up with the right formula.  If the foams we get
nowadays are from a different source, as I suspect, I very much doubt they
took as much trouble.

I say interesting, and also amusing.  Don relates how the MGB was the first
body they dip-primed, and he spent some time designing in the holes to let
the air out at the top and the paint out at the bottom (those peculiar holes
in the floor pan for one).  However they only dipped up to the level of the
shelf in the engine bay, which meant hand-feathering in the edge before
hand-spraying the top part.  So ICI suggested dipping it completely (I can't
imagine why they didn't do that in the first place), and they all stood
round while the first shell went in.  Unfortunately enough air got trapped
to lift the body off the hooks, and it gracefully floated off down the tank
and sunk.

PaulH.

----- Original Message -----
> ... I now have all the foam needed to finish the seats.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]