Subject: [Mgs] loctite question

From: Duvall Video Productions <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 22:06:23 -0600

Anyone use red loctite instead of mechanical fasteners on main cap nuts?   I
have an MPJG engine from a TA when I torque down the mains, the holes don't
line up to the castle nuts for the wire.   I don't want to over torque and if
I back them up to match the hole, I loose my torque.

Suggestions?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 19:37:01 GMT

Have you tried swapping the nuts to different bolts?
  If, after finding nearest fit, a couple do not quite align at acceptable
torque, rubbing the nut a couple of strokes on abrasive paper can give the
additional turn needed.
  Shims could be used, but they would be tiny pieces of metal, the integrity
of which could not be seen once nuts are torqued, inside the engine.
Bob

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Duvall Video Productions <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mgs] loctite question
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 22:06:23 -0600

Suggestions?

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 18:22:42 GMT

No question about that, but those shims are large enough to see easily, and
to have some strength because of their size.  My concern is that shims small
enough to fit into that tight recess for connecting rod nuts would be
concealed by the nut and washer, and that the split washer could cut or tear a
tiny shim that is only a couple of thou thick.
  This may be needless worry, but I have never seen a shim used in this
application.
Bob

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mgs] loctite question
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 08:43:34 -0000

It works for front wheel bearings on the MGB ...

----- Original Message -----

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 22:11:10 GMT

Try YouTube for British Pathe movies, then look up MG and other cars.  Pathe
did newsreels and movies about businesses.
   Wade through them for a while and you can enjoy B&W movies of T-series MGs
being assembled without a power tool in sight. Parts were lifted onto
assemblies, assemblies might then be chain hoisted onto the chassis. By MGA
time, a few power tools appear. I have not spotted a torque wrench in any I
have seen.All the workers wore neckties tucked into aprons or their shirts.
Bob

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Charles Hill <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mgs] loctite question
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 13:00:39 -0600

I don't think they were using torque wrenches back then.

Charles Hill

On 1/7/2013 12:43 PM, Andrew Lundgren wrote:
> What would they have done on the assembly line when one didn't line up
> perfectly?

[email-masked]

[email-masked]