Subject: Re: [Mgs] loctite question

From: Charles Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 22:21:48 -0600

I'm not sure that Locktite will hold up to the heat inside the engine.  
In the situation you describe some people will sand the mating surface 
of the nut to get the holes to line up.  I'm not sure I would want to do 
that to the main cap nuts though.  You might try swapping them around to 
see if it makes a difference.

Regards,
Charles Hill

On 1/5/2013 10:06 PM, Duvall Video Productions wrote:
> Anyone use red loctite instead of mechanical fasteners on main cap nuts?   I
> have an MPJG engine from a TA when I torque down the mains, the holes don't
> line up to the castle nuts for the wire.   I don't want to over torque and if
> I back them up to match the hole, I loose my torque.
>
> Suggestions?
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Richard Ewald <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 20:41:57 -0800

I would not use red.  When properly applied red is stronger than the thread
it is applied to.  Properly applied and cured red Loctite will strip the
male threads right off a stud/bolt.  I've done this trying to unscrew TR7
head studs  Double nutted them, no good.  Cleaned everything up, used
Loctite primer and red loctite.  Spun the threads right off the head stud,
which didn't budge.
Use green, it is better suited for this use.  Some car makers specified
green for use on rod cap and main nuts.
As far as temperature goes loctite is good to 450F at which point it turns
to powder.  This should not be an issue for a main stud.
Rick

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM, Duvall Video Productions <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 11:10:07 -0000

Shims under the nuts?

----- Original Message ----- 
> ... when I torque down the mains, the holes don't
> line up to the castle nuts for the wire.

[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 13:05:06 -0600

Let's keep in mind that torque specs are meant to set the fastener 
(bolt, stud) into the approximate middle of its elasticity range and the 
torque specs are given in a range too.   If a torque spec is given as, 
say 40 - 50 ft-lbs I'll set my wrench for 45 and sneak up on it.  One 
crenelation in a castellated nut, more or less, isn't that big a deal, IMO.

CR

[email-masked]

---

From: "Michael Singleton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 09:30:03 -0800

It has been interesting to see all the various theories on nut and bolt
tightening. However, in all cases it is advisable to consult the factory
service manual first. In the MGTD/F Workshop Manual under "Torque Spanner
Data," which should provide an indication that the factory did, in fact,
believe in torque wrenches, The listed torque value for both Connecting rod
big-end bolts, as well as Main bearing cap nuts, the values are listed as
"320 lbs. in. (to the next split pin hole) and 750 lbs. in. (to the next
split pin hole)"  respectively. I realize that Mike is referring to a MPJG
engine, not a XPEG or XPAG engine and might not have the proper
documentation on it, but the general thinking from the factory did not
change much until significantly after the war, when they discovered the self
locking nut.

Additionally, it is always advisable to use the proper Loctite sealant and
properly install it. Suggestions and directions on use are available on the
Loctite site:  http://www.loctite.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Charley & Peggy Robinson
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2013 11:05 AM
To: Duvall Video Productions
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mgs] loctite question

Let's keep in mind that torque specs are meant to set the fastener (bolt,
stud) into the approximate middle of its elasticity range and the 
torque specs are given in a range too.   If a torque spec is given as, 
say 40 - 50 ft-lbs I'll set my wrench for 45 and sneak up on it.  One
crenelation in a castellated nut, more or less, isn't that big a deal, IMO.

CR

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]