Subject: [Mgs] Rheostat, now Bulbs

From: Jack Feldman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 08:04:30 -0600

Right now the brightest lights are halogen. They are bright enough. I
thought I saw an ad for bright LEDs that would work in an MG, but can't
remember where. Considering the large LBC market, I'm sure they are coming.

Interestingly, the halogen bulbs (Actually the bulb is the glass portion,
the whole thing is called a lamp, but common usage......) worked fine until
I upgraded my headlamp wiring with relays that took current directly from
the battery. Now they are just as dim as always! Must be a current issue.

Jack
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 14:22:57 -0000

Very current, lots of complaints about it ...

You need to be careful with halogen bulbs in instruments, they run much 
hotter than standard incandescents and can damage them, I've measured them 
at up to 90C compared with 30C for standard 2.2w.  There are a number of 
directly compatible LED types around, I've tried five different types so 
far, but the best are only marginally better than standard - 
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/led.htm#4, probably because they are all forward 
facing even when multi-element.  If you could get multi-element where the 
elements were arranged around the surface of a cylinder, like LED festoons, 
but small enough to fit they would probably be better.

The best I've seen are 12v LED strips cut into pieces and stuck inside the 
case.  Ironically these are so bright they do need a dimmer, but using LEDs 
renders the standard dimmer useless as the resistance/current/voltage 
characteristic is completely wrong, really you need a pulse unit with 
variable duty-cycle to control the brightness of LEDs.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 

[email-masked]