Subject: Re: [Mgs] Mgs Digest, Vol 68, Issue 13

From: Duvall Video Productions <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 13:44:44 -0600

Max,  Did you follow the manufacturers instructions for break in?  Crane cams
doesn't say you need to use special additives forever with only that you use
break in oils......

CRANE FLAT TAPPET CAMSHAFT RECOMMENDED BREAK-IN PROCEDURE
Due to the EPAs mandate for zinc removal from most motor oils, proper flat
tappet camshaft break-in procedure is more critical than ever before. This is
true for both hydraulic and mechanical flat tappet Camshafts. As a point of
interest, the most critical time in the life of a flat tappet camshaft is the
first 20 minutes of break-in during which the bottoms of the tappets
mate-in with the cam lobes.

On Jan 11, 2013, at 12:10 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

>
> Message: 9
> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 10:04:59 -0800
> From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
> To: MG List <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: [Mgs] Mgs Digest, Vol 68, Issue 12
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
>
> Well, personal experience counts for more than "antidotal" [sic]
information
> in my book. So after replacing the cam and lifters I am taking the issue
> very seriously. I wonder, was the SAE testing a 1960s-era flat tappet
> engine? Or just performing laboratory wear tests on a jig?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 16:39:16 -0800

I didn't break in the original cam -- the engine was used when I got it. It
lasted a considerable period of time, using Castrol 20w-50 before that was
reformulated. At some time after that, it suffered fairly rapid
deterioration. Not necessarily cause and effect, I grant you, but I'm taking
it as a data point.

I used dino oil WITH ZDDP as well as cam lube on the replacement, and
followed the break-in procedures. So far so good.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149
If you're near Menlo Park, CA,
it's the primer red one with chrome wires

[email-masked]