Subject: Re: [Mgs] ZDDP scam?

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 17:46:01 -0800

How was it a "scam" when all motor oil produced over a period of a decade or
two included ZDDP as an antiwear additive, as a matter of course, without
any particular advertising or marketing emphasis?

It was like lead in gas -- everyone did it because it worked, and because if
they didn't, their product would not perform as well as the competition.

The "scam" is that the manufacturers unilaterally removed it (for good
reasons, in terms of modern pollution-controlled vehicles, but still...),
without issuing any disclaimers for users of older vehicles, until they
started receiving complaints. Only now are manufacturers releasing
information about the Z and P levels, and it's because of the outcry.

But no one is forcing you to pay any attention to the issue -- run those new
low-viscosity, zero-zinc oils if you want to.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149
If you're near Menlo Park, CA,
it's the primer red one with chrome wires

on 1/10/13 5:25 PM, Duvall Video Productions at [email-masked] wrote:

> Marketers will sell you anything they think you will buy.....   break in an
> engine to harden cam and tappets with break in oil and forget it.....
> 
> A couple of GM engineers wrote this peer reviewed paper
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]