Subject: Re: [Mgs] Evan's waterless coolant

From: Paul Root <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 11:10:13 -0600

I don't know anything about the product.

But if your car is running too hot, you should address the problem with it. Go
through the cooling system. Is the radiator flowing properly, is the water
pump working properly? Is the block clogged? Is the thermostat functioning? Is
the fan ok? Is there  a missing shroud.

Don't treat a symptom, treat the problem.

Also, remember that the gauges on our old cars are showing what's actually
happening, instead of electronically moved to 'N' and then not moved
regardless.

If you aren't loosing fluid, you aren't overheating.

Paul.

On Dec 11, 2012, at 10:43 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Merry Christmas to all.
> I just read an article on Evan's Waterless Coolant
> and wonder what experiences any of you have with the product. I have a AH
> 100-4 that sometimes runs hotter than I think it should and wonder if the
> product is worth the $40 per gallon price. Thanks in advance for any
> responses.
> Sam
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 11:37:08 -0600

imho that is way too expensive a product to put in a british car.  highly 
likely at some point it will end up on the ground

listen to Paul - good advice.  get an infra red temp reader to ascertain 
true temps

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:43 AM
To: healey list ; mg list
Subject: [Mgs] Evan's waterless coolant

Merry Christmas to all.

[email-masked]

---

From: John <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 13:11:25 -0500

Assuming its not a gauge issue... You may live near a radiator shop that can
do a rod-out/clean out.  The guy near me just did my MG 1100 for $60.  They
take the end tanks out and poke rods through the holes to get the crap out.
Sometimes they are plugged up so bad they need a new core, then you're talking
$300+ depending on how big.  Find a place that uses Maine Radiator cores.
Between your presumably original end caps and their old style cores nobody
will ever know its not original.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Barney Gaylord <[email-masked]> >
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 13:22:20 -0600

Great advertising, isn't it?  Just two words.  Forget it.  If you 
think it is running too hot now, it is likely to run hotter with 
Evans Waterless Coolant.  This stuff has much lower specific heat, 
meaning it carries less heat for a given temperature rise.  Stated 
another way, it needs higher temperature rise to carry away the same 
amount of waste heat from your engine to the radiator.  It is very 
similar to using 100% glycol based antifreeze with no water.  Bad 
news in hot weather.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com

At 08:43 AM 12/11/2012 -0800, [email-masked] wrote:
>....
>I just read an article on Evan's Waterless Coolant and wonder what 
>experiences any of you have with the product. I have a AH 100-4 that 
>sometimes runs hotter than I think it should and wonder if the 
>product is worth the $40 per gallon price. ....

[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 08:34:16 -0000

If it's not steaming or losing coolant, it's not overheating.  Unlike modern 
cars where the temperature gauge is 'modified' so that it stays in the same 
place through all normal variations in temperature, it's quite normal for 
this era of car to go up and down according to conditions.  I've seen both 
my V8 and roadster on the edge of the H zone in very warm weather and 
neither lost any coolant.  If it's fluctuating, or high in cool weather, 
then that is a cause for investigation, not trying a different coolant.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> ... I have a AH
> 100-4 that sometimes runs hotter than I think it should ... 

[email-masked]

---

From: Simon Matthews <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 11:19:08 -0800

I have had the temperature gauge on my MGA showing about 100 lbs (look
carefully at an MGA temp/oil dial to see what I mean). Didn't seem to be a
problem. I run a non-standard 14 lb radiator cap and I did not notice any
great water loss.

Simon

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 12:34 AM, PaulHunt73 <[email-masked]>wrote:

> If it's not steaming or losing coolant, it's not overheating.  Unlike
> modern cars where the temperature gauge is 'modified' so that it stays in
> the same place through all normal variations in temperature, it's quite
> normal for this era of car to go up and down according to conditions.  I've
> seen both my V8 and roadster on the edge of the H zone in very warm weather
> and neither lost any coolant.  If it's fluctuating, or high in cool
> weather, then that is a cause for investigation, not trying a different
> coolant.
>
> PaulH.
>
> ______________________________**_________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**options/mgs/simon.d.matthews@
> **gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]>

[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 11:15:49 -0000

Me too, I've seen the V8 with its temp needle at 60psi :o)  Although that was
from steam from a blocked steam pipe, not the actual coolant temperature.
  ----- Original Message -----
  I have had the temperature gauge on my MGA showing about 100 lbs (look
carefully at an MGA temp/oil dial to see what I mean).
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]