Subject: Re: [Mgs] Activity

From: Tom Daughdrill <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 00:56:17 -0600

Been trying to enjoy driving the wife's '79 MGB.  The car tends to leave me
places, but, with enough recent "fiddling", it is been better than ever.  It
now starts easily enough, doesn't stall, and seems to enjoy being driven.  It
seems to have always wanted to be a pleasant car, and now, it may be!  Still
miss my Midget, though...
Anybody got a good car for sale?
Tom
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Jody Kerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 00:22:34 -0700

Here in Arizona it's finally getting cool enough to work on cars outside.

My daughter (13) is working on her first restoration, a 1970 MGB. The
intent is that she gets it finished by the time she gets her driver's
license. Before the summer got too hot we pulled the exhaust, the fuel
system and the exterior lights. Recently we contructed one of those
temporary garages from Harbor Freight over the car and she'll finish
stripping the interior next. Hopefully over Christmas break.

On the not so MG side (but still very MG) I'm tearing through a '69
Sprite right now that was supposed to be her mum's first restoration.
But, now we're expecting, so I got left with this car taking up prime
real estate in my garage. Right now I'm stripping and restoring the
electrical system and dash. Next is the carbs. Should hopefully have
the engine/tranny out, last of the bolted on bits off, and the
external sheetmetal off the car by Christmas. Then it's blast, paint
and reassemble.

Jody

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 11:56 PM, Tom Daughdrill <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

-- 
http://www.theymightberacing.com/

1953 Studebaker Champion            1960 Austin Healey 3000 (BT7L/5479)
1974 Jensen Healey MKII (14291)   1974 Jensen Healey MKII (18854)
1978 Triumph Spitfire (Mum's)         1981 Triumph TR8
1970 MG MGB                               1980 Triumph TR7
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn
from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent
disinclination to do so."
--Douglas Adams
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Barrie Robinson <[email-masked]> mail.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 10:02:09 -0500

Jody,

That is brilliant!  - about your daughter I mean.  My daughter was 
dead keen on my cars and she was the only one who wanted to drive my 
old Maserati - others were scared of its power.   But now my 
granddaughter leans more to cars than my grandson.  I have a 
delightful photo of her helping me with the MGB GT V8 when when was 
about 11.  Give your daughter a hug from me !!

At 12:22 AM 12/7/2012 -0700, Jody Kerr wrote:
>Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

Regards

Barrie
[email-masked]
705-721-9060 

[email-masked]

---

From: Jody Kerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 08:38:06 -0700

It's been a lot of fun so far. :)

I've had to arrange for her to get her own VB catalogs in the mail,
otherwise we fight over the MG one when it arrives. It's also been a
good help getting grades up as better grades = higher parts $ bonuses.

Here's a video of her introducing her project:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCu9jiwR2Rs

One tip to any other parents who want to do this: buy the kid their
own basic tools (sockets, wrenches, etc) otherwise yours will
dissapear!

Jody

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 8:02 AM, Barrie Robinson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Jody,
>
> That is brilliant!  - about your daughter I mean.  My daughter was dead keen
> on my cars and she was the only one who wanted to drive my old Maserati -
> others were scared of its power.   But now my granddaughter leans more to
> cars than my grandson.  I have a delightful photo of her helping me with the
> MGB GT V8 when when was about 11.  Give your daughter a hug from me !!
>
>
>
>> > Unsubscribe:
>> > http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
>>
>>
>>
>> --

[email-masked]

---

From: "Bert Palte" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 17:05:45 +0100

Hi Jody,

Nice daughter, nice project and nice video!

One suggestion: buy her quality tools. (Over here: Gedore, Stahlwille, Facom. Over there???) They will last a life time.

I was around 16 or 17 when I started working on cars (minimum age for driving license = 18y over here). 
Bought (myself) nothing but the best I could afford, even in my days as a poor student, considering that the cost of tools is much less than what you save by doing it all yourself.

More than 40 years later I still have and use the same tools!

Saw something typically American on the video: the levered (?) radiator cap. Have never seen them in Europe, only in the U.S..

What are they called and who makes them? 

Bert

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 08:38:06 -0700
> Von: Jody Kerr <[email-masked]>
> An: Barrie Robinson <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked]
> Betreff: Re: [Mgs] Activity

[email-masked]

---

From: Jody Kerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 09:13:11 -0700

Bert,

She still has a bit too much of a propensity to lose tools, so I'm
sticking with the cheapo Harbor Freight stuff for now until she stops
losing things so easily. Then we'll work on a proper toolkit.

The radiator caps over here are vented, that's the function of the
lever. The theory is that you pop the lever, it vents and cools down
to a safe level before you completely open it. The reality is that you
burn yourself on it while removing the cap too quickly causing a
coolant fountain to occur at the front of the car as it boils over. :)

Jody

[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 07:19:05 -0600

Nice video.  You mentioned that the air filters were missing.  I do 
believe I glimpsed them in the seating area.

CR

[email-masked]

---

From: Paul Root <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 08:22:17 -0600

I definitely did.

On Dec 8, 2012, at 7:19 AM, Charley & Peggy Robinson wrote:

> Nice video.  You mentioned that the air filters were missing.  I do believe
I glimpsed them in the seating area.
>>>>> Been trying to enjoy driving the wife's '79 MGB.  The car tends to
leave
>>>>> me
>>>>> places, but, with enough recent "fiddling", it is been better than
ever.
>>>>> It
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]