Subject: Re: [Mgs] brake fluid

From: "Hans Duinhoven" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 18:11:49 +0100

I use Dot 5 since 2000 and found, that regular replacement must be done,
eventhough Dot 5 does not mix with water.
Water vapour still comes into the system, so finally can create rust into
the cylinder bores.
So I had to replace the clutch MC, as the cylinder bore was pitted.

Cheers,

Hans
71 BGT

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Namens
[email-masked]
Verzonden: vrijdag 26 oktober 2012 17:32
Aan: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]
Onderwerp: Re: [Mgs] brake fluid

   Silicone separates quite visibly.
Bob
---------- Original Message ----------
From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
To: "Max Heim" <[email-masked]>, "MG List" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] brake fluid
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 09:41:07 +0100

DOT3, 4 and 5.1 aka Super DOT4 are all glycol based and hence compatible, so
you can just flush the old out when filling with the new. DOT5 is the odd
one out being silicone and the two types must not be mixed, switching
between these is not a trivial task.  I've never been able to understand why
a development of glycol was given the designation DOT5.1, implying it was a
development of silicone, and not DOT6.  Water mixes pretty-well instantly
with glycol based, never had silicone to try.

PaulH.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 12:55:10 -0500

you must live in a very wet environment.  I live in an environment with 
relatively high humidity in the summer, and have driven cars for years (one 
over 10) with no issues at all.

you are in Holland, right?  do you leave the car in one of those fields they 
regularly flood <grin>?

-----Original Message----- 
From: Hans Duinhoven
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2012 12:11 PM
To: [email-masked] ; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mgs] brake fluid

Cheers,

Hans
71 BGT 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Bob Donahue" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 15:47:49 -0400

I keep hearing two different opinions about Dot 5.
Either:
Dot 5 is terrible because it does not mix with water.
Or:
Dot 5 is wonderful because it does not mix with water.

Take your pick!

BTW, I've had good luck with Dot 5 in my TD over the past 10 years without 
replacement.

Bob Donahue (Still Stuck in the '50s)
Email - [email-masked]
Cars:       52 MGTD - #17639
               71 MGB - #GHN5UB254361
Member:  NEMGTR #11470
               NAMGBR # 7-3336
               Hoosier MGB Club
               Olde Octagons of Indiana

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Hans Duinhoven" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:11 PM
Subject: Re: [Mgs] brake fluid

[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 08:38:44 -0000

That's exactly it.  Suppliers statements of "Silicone Brake Fluid repels
moisture so, unlike standard polyglycol brake fluid, it never needs
changing. Rust and corrosion are inhibited because moisture is kept out of
the system ..." are a complete nonsense.  The same amount of water gets into
MGB systems filled with silicone fluid as it does with glycol.  It still
migrates to the ends of the system i.e. the callipers and slaves, and hence
still reduces the boiling point particularly in the callipers, as well as
causing localised rusting.  It may well not mix with water, but it absorbs
air, which results in a spongy pedal.  Water in DOT3 and 4 is as
uncompressible as brake fluid.  It's original USP was a higher boiling point
than DOT4, as well as not damaging paint.  Now DOT5.1 has a higher boiling
point than DOT5 (and Castrol LMA (Low Moisture Absorption) always did) it's
only benefit is with the paint.  Some time ago I read that as soon as
someone came up with a way of completely flushing all traces of silicone
from hydraulic systems the American military would be ditching silicone in
favour of DOT5.1.

Humidity isn't the only factor.  Temperature is as well, and the rapidity 
and frequency of
changes from cold and dry to warm and wet, where warm moist air condenses
out on everything, something we in the UK at least get very frequently, and
in any season.

Whilst the Workshop Manual specifies changing all hydraulic *seals* at 36 
k/months (albeit North America only) it doesn't mention fluid.  Fluid is 
obviously (?) replaced at the same time, and it probably does no harm to 
flush some out of each calliper and slave annually.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Hans Duinhoven" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 19:19:02 +0100

The car is safely in the garage when it's wet outside.
Though living near the seeside makes the air humid almost all time...
There are lower riverbanks, which regulary flood.
I do not live nearby a river, so no chance.
I do live several meters below seelevel - how about that!
And yes the soil overhere is quite wet.
But we're happy we do not have such severe storms like the US east coast has
now.

Take care all of you!

Cheers,
Hans
71 BGT

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Namens
Dave
Verzonden: zondag 28 oktober 2012 18:55
Aan: [email-masked]
Onderwerp: Re: [Mgs] brake fluid

-----Original Message-----
From: Hans Duinhoven
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2012 12:11 PM
To: [email-masked] ; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mgs] brake fluid

Cheers,

Hans
71 BGT

[email-masked]