Subject: Re: [Mgs] brake fluid

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 15:17:05 -0700

If you mean, is it glycol-based or silicone-based, I suppose you could
remove a sample, place it in a glass container, and drip some water into it.
If it is absorbed (if it mixes in when you stir it), it is glycol. If it
does the oil-and-water thing and refuses to mix, it is silicone.

Be aware I am proposing this out of my knowledge of chemical principles -- I
have never tried it with an actual sample.

I can't think of any way of distinguishing between DOT 3 and DOT 4 glycol
fluid, but it wouldn't really matter, if you just flushed and refilled.

on 10/25/12 2:57 PM, Tom Gunderson at [email-masked] wrote:

> I have a 1957 MGA 1500 rst. I do not know what type of brake fluid that in in
> my car. How can I check it?
> Tom Gunderson

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149
If you're near Menlo Park, CA,
it's the primer red one with chrome wires
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]