Subject: [Mgs] Reconditioning /cleaning carbs

From: James Schulte <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 12:32:43 -0400 FILETIME=[056DBA50:01CDB5F3]

Folks,I received a carb care package from John E today and want to get started
cleaning them to prepare for rebuild. I was thinking of using brake cleaner
spray to get rid of grime. Is this ok or should I use Simple Green, WD 40 or
some other cleaner to wipe them down inside and out? Any suggestions?

Jim Schulte
President Lehigh Valley Kayak & Canoe Club
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 13:53:57 -0400 FILETIME=[5FCEEE50:01CDB5FE]

Guys
Thanks for the feedback. Yes Paul I meant carb cleaner but I only saw brake cleaner on the shelf until a second look after your post. I didn't think of paint thinner Curt. That is a good cheap option. It's been a while (8 years) since I did a full restoration. So I may need some reminders from time to time.
I have decided to name this Mg 1100 Cali. As it came from California via New Hampshire.
Jim S.
Harleysville, PA
Sent via the HTC Vividb", an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

----- Reply message -----
From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
To: "James Schulte" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Mgs] Reconditioning /cleaning carbs
Date: Mon, Oct 29, 2012 12:53 pm

Why not carb cleaner?  That comes in a high-pressure aerosol designed to blast off typical carb internal sooting so external grime (assuming that is what you mean) should be no problem.

----- Original Message ----- > Folks,I received a carb care package from John E today and want to get > started
> cleaning them to prepare for rebuild. I was thinking of using brake > cleaner
> spray to get rid of grime. Is this ok or should I use Simple Green, WD 40 > or

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 13:45:51 -0600

Years ago I purchased a refillable aerosol spray can, probably from 
Harbor Freight.
You put some paint thinner or whatever in it, pressurize it from your 
compressor and
then spray away.  Handy for some cleaning jobs like carbs.

mjb.

[email-masked]