Subject: [Mgs] Don Hayter interview and book

From: Don <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 23:44:29 -0700

There is a new book out by Don Hayter, the designer of the MGB.  The 
publishing company did a short interview of him which is quite 
interesting for anyone who is a friend of the marque.  I haven't got 
a copy of the book, but will probably buy one being a great admirer 
of the MGB design.  I still remember the first time I saw a new '63 
MGB on display at a county fair when I was a lad and how impressed I 
was by its beautiful lines.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don Hayter was educated at Abingdon School, Oxford, winning the 
Bennett Scholarship to Pembroke College. With the outbreak of WWII he 
decided to take an apprenticeship in aircraft design at the Pressed 
Steel Company, Cowley. Attending Oxford Technical College, and 
attaining a Higher National Certificate in Metallurgy and 
Engineering, he worked at various aircraft manufacturers, before 
moving into the car industry after the war. Working on many cars, 
including the MG Magnette, in 1954 he moved to Aston Martin, working 
on the design for the DB2/4 and the Lagonda, before moving back to 
MG's Design & Development department. Promoted to Chief Design & 
Development Engineer in 1973, he was responsible for the design of 
the MGB body, and stayed with MG until the closure of its factory in 
1980. Don remains passionately enthusiastic about this iconic car, 
and still runs one himself today.

link to interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq7d7G1zQws

link to purchase the book:
http://www.veloce.co.uk/shop/products/productDetail.php?prod_id=V4460&prod_group=Cars%20Vans%20&%20Trucks&

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don Scott
Calistoga CA USA
1955 MGTF
1962 MGA Mk 2
1967 MGB
1963-7 MGB (seeking)
Misc. Japanese cars
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 09:41:57 +0100

Me too.  Before I saw the MGB I wanted a Sunbeam Alpine.  Afterwards I never 
looked at another car in the same way, but it took me 25 years to get one, 
and that was 22 years ago.

----- Original Message ----- 
> ...  I still remember the first time I saw a new '63

[email-masked]