Subject: Re: [Mgs] MG related - Sort Of

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 23:30:40 -0500

Just gotta comment:

If I'm changing oil or doing other routine maintenance, I do it outside 
in the driveway, which is blacktop.  If I mean to do more than that - 
last thing was replacing brake MC  and bleeding all 4 corners - I do it 
in the garage, which is sealed concrete.  In that case I had the car up 
on 4 jack stands.  I scooted around on a creeper then.  What a PITA that 
job was!

Ennyhoo, by the time I'd jack around with ramps I can have the car up on 
4 jack stands.  Lift the front, put the jack stands; lift the rear, put 
the jack stands; remove the jack and go after what you had in 
mind........  Oh, and what you had in mind doing dictates where you 
locate the jack stands........

CR
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 08:23:21 +0100

A car raised on four axle stands (are they the same as jack stands?) is 
*very* dangerous, it is relatively easy to pull the car over as their base 
is usually quite a bit smaller than their height in use.  Only ever use two 
jack stands with two short ramps (short of full length ramps or a lift).

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> ...  In that case I had the car up on 4 jack stands. 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 07:37:45 -0500

I totally disagree.  I always pull at the car to ensure stability when I 
have it on 2 or 4 stands.  but if they are on concrete, well positioned, and 
relatively level, they are *safe*

there is always danger when working on cars.  think safety!

-----Original Message----- 
From: PaulHunt73
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:23 AM
To: [email-masked] ; MG List
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MG related - Sort Of

[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 08:21:51 -0500

All depends on where under the vehicle that you locate them.   Got a pic 
of an axle stand?

CR

On 9/18/2012 2:23 AM, PaulHunt73 wrote:
> A car raised on four axle stands (are they the same as jack stands?) 
> is *very* dangerous, it is relatively easy to pull the car over as 
> their base is usually quite a bit smaller than their height in use.  
> Only ever use two jack stands with two short ramps (short of full 
> length ramps or a lift).
>
> PaulH.
>

[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 08:38:02 -0500

The first time I had a car up on 4 stands I tried to knock it off of 
them by pushing on the car from various angles.  I concluded that it 
would take a mighty push to make it go over.

CR

[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 08:44:37 +0100

RTFM.  Manufacturers instructions usually say DO NOT jack one end of the car 
when the other is already supported by axle stands, and DO NOT support the 
car just on four axle stands.

On your own head be it (pun not intended).

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
>have it on 2 or 4 stands.  but if they are on concrete, well positioned, 
>and relatively level, they are *safe*

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 06:50:04 -0500

the manufacturers are more interested in covering their rears than reality.

we all have our opinion.  been doing this for years and will keep on.

I am very concerned with safety, and will continue.

-----Original Message----- 
From: PaulHunt73
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:44 AM
To: Dave ; MG List
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MG related - Sort Of

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 

[email-masked]