Subject: [Mgs] MG Related - Sort Of

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 16:32:14 -0400

I purchased two sets of ramps to use for oil changes and working under the
front end of my MGBs. One set is steel and I got them at a yard sale after I
had bought a hard plastic set at Wal Mart.  The problem with both sets is that
when I position them in front of the front wheels on my shop floor and attempt
to drive up on them they slide forward. The only way I can use them is place
them in my gravel driveway which provides enough grip so they don't move.
Problem is that I am now forced to lay in the dirt/gravel for working under
the car and doing oil changes. Is there a way to keep the ramps from moving on
my shop floor when I attempt to drive my car up on them?
Frank Krajewski
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 12:03:52 -0700

Yeah, that and general maintenance. If all you do is park a late-model car
in it, and store kiddy toys, fine. But if you have any kind of workbench
where you generate sawdust, metal filings, or solvent splashes, a carpet
quickly becomes a real mess.

on 9/17/12 11:53 AM, Steven Trovato at [email-masked] wrote:

> My concern with carpet in a garage is fire safety.  Any garage with
> MGs is going to involve oil drips.  Then park a nice hot exhaust over
> it.  Possibly even a car with a catalytic converter that is even
> hotter.  Doesn't sound like the safest scenario to me.
> 
> -Steve Trovato
> [email-masked]
> 
> At 10:34 AM 9/17/2012, Barrie Robinson wrote:
>> Allen,
>> 
>> You know you are damn right!  Putting carpet down is brilliant.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149
If you're near Menlo Park, CA,
it's the primer red one with chrome wires
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 11:56:48 -0700

There is only an axle at one end, so I don't see how you can do this,
really. If they mean, do not support the car by 4 "sprung" points
simultaneously, I can understand that. It is very hard to find a sprung
point where you can fit a stand in the front, anyway. I usually use an
"unsprung" frame point -- either the bottom of the engine crossmember, or
the side frame rails.

on 9/19/12 12:44 AM, PaulHunt73 at [email-masked] wrote:

> RTFM.  Manufacturers instructions usually say DO NOT jack one end of the car
> when the other is already supported by axle stands, and DO NOT support the
> car just on four axle stands.
> 
> On your own head be it (pun not intended).
> 
> PaulH.
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
>> I totally disagree.  I always pull at the car to ensure stability when I
>> have it on 2 or 4 stands.  but if they are on concrete, well positioned,
>> and relatively level, they are *safe*

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 08:32:16 +0100

'Axle' stand is just the name of the device.  They can be used to support a 
car (or anything else) anywhere you like such as under the rear axle, under 
the springs, under the spring hangers at the rear, or under the chassis 
rails, crossmember, or spring pans at the front, and many other places, i.e. 
sprung or unsprung.  The hazard in using four is two fold - when adding the 
second pair it is very easy for a trolley jack for example to tilt the first 
pair, and even when sitting on four with all their feet on flat, level, hard 
ground it is relatively easy to push or pull the car over with the forces 
some jobs need.  If it wasn't possible to pull them over, manufacturers 
wouldn't have to cover their backsides.  User beware.  I've only got one 
pair so as not to be tempted to use two.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> really. 

[email-masked]