Subject: Re: [Mgs] new muffler - cent key

From: Charles Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 21:29:32 -0500

Glenn,

You won't find the cent key on your keyboard but it is there. With a 
Windows PC, hold down the "Alt" key, type 0162 on the numeric keypad 
then release the "Alt" key.   These are ASCII codes and there are a 
bunch of them.  The Pound sign is ALT + 0163.  Of course,  Macs do it 
their own way.

Charles Hill

On 9/17/2012 8:38 PM, Glenn Schnittke wrote:
>
>
> That can make a difference on cold running. The only other thing I can 
> think of that would affect cold starts is valve adjustment. If one or 
> two valves are on the edge they might be opening fine when hot but not 
> so much when cold. That's my two cents worth and I can't find a cent 
> key on my computer. What good is this thing?
>
> Glenn
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 08:33:04 +0100

Balancing specifically at fast idle isn't really necessary as that is only 
used when warming up.  But checking they are balanced off-idle by opening 
the throttle a little and readjusting the synchronising tool *is* essential, 
for obvious reasons. Fast idle opens the butterflies differently to the 
throttle cable.

There should be about 1/2" of choke cable movement giving a fast-idle speed 
of about 1100-1200 rpm with a *warm* engine before the jets start to move. 
You can't see the enrichment valve on an HIF of course, but there should be 
arrows on the fast idle cams that when positioned under the fast-idle screws 
indicate that enrichment is just about to start.  You are supposed to set 
the fast-idle revs there, but on my V8 at least that gives far too high an 
idle when there is enrichment as well so I have them adjusted by ear rather 
than revs and arrows.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> I've gotten into the habit of synching not just the idle but the fast idle 
> as well. 

[email-masked]