Subject: Re: [Mgs] 64 B rear ended

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:05:36 +0100

The bumpers are attached to the chassis rails, not the back panel, so you 
need to get underneath and see where the buckling has occurred that has 
allowed the overrider to deform the back panel - if the overrider had peen 
pushed back as a whole rather than simply the top being tilted over.  Unless 
the rear panel has obviously deformed so that the lock loop is no longer 
inline with the lock on the lid, it could have buckled the boot floor.  Even 
10mph is quite a shunt.  It depends on the insurance company, but some may 
well want to write it off with chassis rail damage.  In the UK that kind of 
damage would be repairable, if you bought the 'wreck' back out of the 
insurance payout.  Find out as soon as possible just what the score is, 
there have been cases where insurance companies have written cars off and 
sold them on before the owner has been advised.  Good luck.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> ... The bulk of the impact was on the
> passenger side over-rider which was pushed into the body next to the gas 
> tank
> filler, leaving a fair indentation. 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 10:10:26 -0500

Bummer!  Not sure about the quality of the Moss-supplied chrome 
bumpers.  It would be nice if someone who has seen them would comment.  
Some years ago I had my front bumper and overriders rechromed because I 
wasn't impressed with the after market pieces.

CR
On 9/19/2012 9:30 AM, Councill, David wrote:
> Just made it to work, been driving my 64B as my seasonal daily driver (less so
> in the winter, weather permitting). But this morning while stopped at a red
> light, a car ran into the rear - a pretty fair impact so I'm guessing the car
> was still traveling at maybe 10 mph.

[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 14:21:47 -0500

That got me to wondering, so I went out and looked at my '69 B's rear 
bumper.  The overrider on the passenger side is partly to the left of & 
behind the gas tank filler cap.   The right edge of the overrider 
overlaps the left side of the gas cap.  If the overrider was tilted 
straight ahead it would contact the gas cap; it would have to be pushed 
or twisted to the left to miss the cap.  I don't know if the overriders 
on the '64 are narrower than mine or perhaps located a little 
differently but I suggest that the '64 be taken to a body shop right 
away in order to assess the damage.

CR

On 9/19/2012 10:05 AM, PaulHunt73 wrote:
> The bumpers are attached to the chassis rails, not the back panel, so 
> you need to get underneath and see where the buckling has occurred 
> that has allowed the overrider to deform the back panel - if the 
> overrider had peen pushed back as a whole rather than simply the top 
> being tilted over.  Unless the rear panel has obviously deformed so 
> that the lock loop is no longer inline with the lock on the lid, it 
> could have buckled the boot floor.  Even 10mph is quite a shunt.  It 
> depends on the insurance company, but some may well want to write it 
> off with chassis rail damage.  In the UK that kind of damage would be 
> repairable, if you bought the 'wreck' back out of the insurance 
> payout.  Find out as soon as possible just what the score is, there 
> have been cases where insurance companies have written cars off and 
>> passenger side over-rider which was pushed into the body next to the 
>> gas tank
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Councill, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 19:38:21 +0000

After a few calls, I found that the lady who ran into me did notify her
insurance company. I notified mine too just in case (I thought I only had
liability but actually I have full coverage minus a $1000 deductible). Max
said there may be a problem finding a body shop to work on the car. This is a
relatively true statement, more so in a smaller populated area where I live.
But I took it to the one body shop my insurance company (USAA) recommended.
The shop wanted to know if I know where they could get a rear bumper so I
referred him to Moss. I l already looked it up and a full replacement with
over riders lists at $320. The other seriously damaged part is the back panel,
just to the left of the gas tank filler, which is pushed in maybe 1/2 - 1 inch
from the force on the over rider. The body guy said it would be better to
straighten out that part rather than weld in another piece. They gave me a
repair estimate - for $2400. So paperwork is in the process and maybe a repair
in the next several weeks to a month.

David Councill
64 B
67 BGT
72 B

-----Original Message-----
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:22 PM
To: MG List
Cc: Councill, David
Subject: Re: [Mgs] 64 B rear ended

That got me to wondering, so I went out and looked at my '69 B's rear bumper.
The overrider on the passenger side is partly to the left of &
behind the gas tank filler cap.   The right edge of the overrider
overlaps the left side of the gas cap.  If the overrider was tilted straight
ahead it would contact the gas cap; it would have to be pushed or twisted to
the left to miss the cap.  I don't know if the overriders on the '64 are
narrower than mine or perhaps located a little differently but I suggest that
the '64 be taken to a body shop right away in order to assess the damage.

CR

[email-masked]

---

From: Paul Root <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 14:53:17 -0500

That's good news.

You don't mention anything so I think we were all assuming,  but are you ok?

Paul.

> That got me to wondering, so I went out and looked at my '69 B's rear
bumper.
> overlaps the left side of the gas cap.  If the overrider was tilted
straight
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Councill, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 20:33:37 +0000

I am still standing and coherent. The problem is that vintage cars, such as
the Mk1 MGBs, do not have the headrests that are now federally mandated (USA).
So any impact from the rear, particularly unexpected ones, will have a
whiplash effect. But so far, in that respect, I am not showing any lingering
effects and that is the only part of me that would or could be affected and if
so, it should still be minor. Time will tell though as its only been about
seven hours since impact. But I'm okay, just a bit depressed over the damage.

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Root [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Paul Root
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:53 PM
To: Councill, David
Cc: [email-masked]; MG List
Subject: Re: [Mgs] 64 B rear ended

That's good news.

Paul.

On Sep 19, 2012, at 2:38 PM, Councill, David wrote:

> After a few calls, I found that the lady who ran into me did notify
> her insurance company. I notified mine too just in case (I thought I
> only had liability but actually I have full coverage minus a $1000
> deductible). Max said there may be a problem finding a body shop to
> work on the car. This is a relatively true statement, more so in a smaller
populated area where I live.
> The shop wanted to know if I know where they could get a rear bumper
> so I referred him to Moss. I l already looked it up and a full
> replacement with over riders lists at $320. The other seriously
> damaged part is the back panel, just to the left of the gas tank
> filler, which is pushed in maybe 1/2 - 1 inch from the force on the
> over rider. The body guy said it would be better to straighten out
> that part rather than weld in another piece. They gave me a repair
> estimate - for $2400. So paperwork is in the process and maybe a repair in
the next several weeks to a month.
bumper.
> straight ahead it would contact the gas cap; it would have to be
> pushed or twisted to the left to miss the cap.  I don't know if the
> overriders on the '64 are narrower than mine or perhaps located a
> little differently but I suggest that the '64 be taken to a body shop right
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html Suggested annual donation
> $12.75
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]