Subject: Re: [Mgs] MG related - Sort Of

From: Allen Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 20:37:12 -0400

While I also use a jack with wood blocks and stands, I highly  
recommend a piece of carpet underneath the whole car. I think it would  
hold the ramps in place but you have to try it for yourself. For those  
of us without a lift (most of us?) I don't think there is anything  
much better than working on a carpeted floor. The season is also  
approaching when some one of your neighbors (or yourself) will be  
getting new carpet for the holidays, so it's free too.

On Sep 16, 2012, at 8:13 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> You're getting close.  Solution is to attach a carpet runner to the  
> leading edge of the ramp.  But the carpet runner needs to be as long  
> as the wheelbase of the car, so the rear wheel runs onto the carpet  
> before the front wheel hits the ramp.  --  You can also place a  
> board on the floor in line with the ramp, one end of the board  
> against the back wall of the garage and the ramp pushed up against  
> the other end of the board.
>
>
> At 07:11 PM 9/16/2012 -0400, Steven Trovato wrote:
>> One approach is to attach something like a piece of carpet to the  
>> leading edge of the ramp.  The carpet extends outward so the tire  
>> drives onto it first.  With the weight of the car on the carpet,  
>> and the carpet attached to the ramp, the ramp can't really move.  I  
>> have even heard of this being done with just a piece of rope  
>> attached to the ramp.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Barrie Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 10:34:38 -0400

Allen,

You know you are damn right!  Putting carpet down is brilliant.  I 
really get very cold working on my polished marble floors.  But such 
floors do have an advantage - they keep the white wine colder 
longer.   Mind you I could always get the maid to keep topping up my 
glass, although she is not too keen on doing that.......something 
about her uniform having such a short skirt.

At 08:37 PM 9/16/2012 -0400, Allen Hess wrote:
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

Regards

Barrie
[email-masked]
705-721-9060 

[email-masked]

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 14:53:15 -0400

My concern with carpet in a garage is fire safety.  Any garage with 
MGs is going to involve oil drips.  Then park a nice hot exhaust over 
it.  Possibly even a car with a catalytic converter that is even 
hotter.  Doesn't sound like the safest scenario to me.

-Steve Trovato
[email-masked]

At 10:34 AM 9/17/2012, Barrie Robinson wrote:
>Allen,
>
>You know you are damn right!  Putting carpet down is brilliant.

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:15:47 -0400

Good point. I do have carpets under several of my cars but not in the floor 
work area of my shop as it makes too difficult to roll the floor jjack 
around on it. The carpet is there primarily as a moistire barrier.
Frank Krajewski
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Steven Trovato" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2012 2:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MG related - Sort Of

> My concern with carpet in a garage is fire safety.  Any garage with MGs is 
> going to involve oil drips.  Then park a nice hot exhaust over it. 
> Possibly even a car with a catalytic converter that is even hotter. 
> Doesn't sound like the safest scenario to me.
>
> -Steve Trovato
> [email-masked]
>

[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 08:04:45 +0100

Roll it out as and when you need it, I have trays under the bits that drip 
anyway.  I've got carpet permanently in front of the work bench and I 
regularly sweep it - 'er indoors refuses to vacuum it when she's doing the 
rest of the house, for some reason ...

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 

[email-masked]

---

From: Barrie Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:44:00 -0400

Steve,

If you have a fire you get the butler to dash in with a shaken bottle 
of Dom Perignon and douse the flames.  This is, of course, after you 
have told the maid to run away (leaving the bottle of wine) so her 
skirt will not get wet.

At 02:53 PM 9/17/2012 -0400, Steven Trovato wrote:
>MGs is going to involve oil drips.  Then park a nice hot exhaust 
>over it.  Possibly even a car with a catalytic converter that is 
>even hotter.  Doesn't sound like the safest scenario to me.
>
>-Steve Trovato
>[email-masked]
>

Regards

Barrie
[email-masked]
705-721-9060 

[email-masked]