Subject: Re: [Mgs] new muffler

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 08:35:54 +0100

Recheck what you did, and that you didn't knock something out of kilter 
along the way.  Unless you adjusted your carbs to suit your knackered 
exhaust, then they shouldn't need readjusting now, and if you did, well, 
that explains why they need readjusting now.  It is possible that the new 
exhaust 'restriction' is affecting the breathing, but I wouldn't expect it 
to be that much.  If you know the carbs are out then you should be putting 
them right anyway, not asking us if you need to!  And I presume you mean 
'synchronisers' not 'synchromeshes'.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> The car was hard starting afterward. Am I going to need to resync the 
> carbs
> etc, after a new muffler. 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Paul Root <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 08:25:47 -0500

I didn't write that well.

The carbs are synch'd and run well, but are a bit hard to get started. I do
get about 25mpg (US). So I believe it's pretty close. But I just think that I
could get it to start a little easier.

My question really was, could changing the exhaust cause issues like this, or
is it more likely that I knocked something out of kilter.

And yes, synchronizer not synchromesh.

> Recheck what you did, and that you didn't knock something out of kilter
along the way.  Unless you adjusted your carbs to suit your knackered exhaust,
then they shouldn't need readjusting now, and if you did, well, that explains
why they need readjusting now.  It is possible that the new exhaust
'restriction' is affecting the breathing, but I wouldn't expect it to be that
much.  If you know the carbs are out then you should be putting them right
anyway, not asking us if you need to!  And I presume you mean 'synchronisers'
not 'synchromeshes'.
carbs

[email-masked]

---

From: "Pete Chast" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 09:38:39 -0400

Change the air flow is to change the mixture.
Quieter is often less flow and suggests lean out the fuel flow.

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 09:25:47 -0400, Paul Root <[email-masked]> wrote:

> exhaust,
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:  
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

-- 
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:15:58 +0100

In my experience changing the breathing i.e. air filters and exhaust will 
affect mixture *through the throttle range* i.e. you may well get it spot on 
at idle but with a freer flowing engine find that you get flat spots at a 
wider throttle opening, I had to go for 'richer' needles on my V8 with these 
two things modified (by a PO I hasten to add).  The corollary of that is 
with a more restrictive setup it could get richer through the range, but 
should still be easy to set up correctly for idle.  At idle (and by 
implication starting) changing the restriction of intake and exhaust has 
negligible effect, unless there is a massive vacuum leak in the intake or 
severely choked exhaust.  Hard starting when cold could be over-rich if the 
weather is very warm, or not rich enough if it is cold.  Hard starting from 
hot is usually over rich.  In both cases that's if mixture *is* the problem, 
there can be other reasons of course.  What is your ambient temp currently, 
do you use the choke, and how much?  If it's warm, and you habitually pull 
the choke out fully to start with a 'cold' engine, try pulling it half way. 
After checking/adjusting the mixture with the lifting pins (or whatever) 
first of course.  If you are confident they are balanced, then only adjust 
both carbs by the same amount in the same direction.  If you find the 
lifting pins give different results for the two carbs then they will have to 
be set up from scratch.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
The carbs are synch'd and run well, but are a bit hard to get started. I do 
get about 25mpg (US). So I believe it's pretty close. But I just think that 
I could get it to start a little easier.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 23:47:41 -0500

Um, when I built the engine in the 1970 B  that I had  (sorry I sold 
it)  I had to change the needles in the HS4s so as to richen the 
midrange.  AIR, there were also different jets for hipro engines. You 
sort of juggled jets & needles around.  If you got it right, it pulled 
like a train.  Had a Crane cam in that one.  Ran good.

CR
On 9/17/2012 9:15 AM, PaulHunt73 wrote:
> In my experience changing the breathing i.e. air filters and exhaust 
> will affect mixture *through the throttle range* i.e. you may well get 
> it spot on at idle but with a freer flowing engine find that you get 
> flat spots at a wider throttle opening, I had to go for 'richer' 
> needles on my V8 with these two things modified (by a PO I hasten to 
> add). 

[email-masked]