Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGA Distributor Problems

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 16:17:43 -0400

Well, a 4-cycle engine goes to TDC twice.  Once at the top of the 
compression stroke and once at the top of the exhaust stroke.  Just 
remember, suck, squeeze, bang, blow.  You need to go all the way 
around one more time and the distributor should do another 180 
degrees and be right where you want it.  Then you will have spark at 
the right time, the engine will run and all will be right with the world.

-Steve Trovato
[email-masked]

At 03:57 PM 9/30/2012, Robert J. Guinness wrote:
>I replaced the distributor with another used one.  When I set the
>engine at TDC to static time the "new" distributor (DM2), the rotor
>points 180 degrees away from the #1 wire.  The distributor drops in OK.
>Of course the engine does nor start.  there is the occasional backfire
>and rifle out out the tail pipe.  I even dropped in a spare 25D
>distributor and it also points away from #1.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 16:20:13 -0400 (EDT)

What has happened is someone has had the drive dog off the shaft of the
distributor and put it back on 180' from where it was when it came from the
factory. Just knock the pin out, reinstall 180' and you should be good to go.

Jon Nyhus

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert J. Guinness <[email-masked]>
To: MG List <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sun, Sep 30, 2012 1:01 pm
Subject: [Mgs] MGA Distributor Problems

I recently had my DM2 distributor out of a MGA 1600 with a three main
1800 engine and encountered two problems.

1. When the points were adjuster to the farthest open setting, the cam
would still not open them.  I had experience intermittent  lack of power
on acceleration under load.

2.  I replaced the distributor with another used one.  When I set the

What is going on?
--
e-mail signature Robert Guinness
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 22:52:05 -0400

Give my way a try before you get drastic.  Take a look at the 
procedure given here:

http://www.custompistols.com/cars/articles/ignition_timing.htm

Note this part:

So, the first step in any static timing operation is to set the 
engine to the required number of degrees before top dead center on 
the compression stroke. At this time, both the intake and exhaust 
valves should be closed and the rocker arms loose. (Removing the 
rocker arm cover and watching the intake valve, the second valve from 
the front open and close as you rotate the engine over either by 
using a 1 5/16" wrench or socket on the crankshaft pulley or pushing 
the car with the engine in gear is not a bad idea the first time you 
do this to make sure you are actually on the compression stroke. If 
you push the car, take it out of gear and set the handbrake before 
proceeding to ensure the engine can not move off the proper timing 
mark.) The brass tip of the rotor should be pointing towards the 
number one terminal of the distributor cap at this point. If it is 
pointing towards the number four cylinder nipple, your timing is "180 
out" or you are on the exhaust stroke of number one cylinder, not the 
compression stroke.

-Steve Trovato
[email-masked]

[email-masked]