Subject: [Mgs] Selling autos on Ebay

From: "Councill, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 16:33:53 +0000

Somewhat off-topic but I have put one of my vehicles up for sale on Ebay. I
have a 1974 Toyota Landcruiser that I have been meaning to sell for a while. I
bought it in 1979 and it has been a good, reliable and durable rig. The
problem is that I rarely drive it anymore. It was, for many years, my
convertible as it is a soft top model. But I have two Bs now to use for the
top off season, plus removing and installing the top is a very time consuming
process so I typically took the top off and left it off during the short
Montana convertible season (about 3 months). For general off-roading, I have a
2001 Land Rover Discovery that has taken over most of that mileage. As the
Landcruiser sits more, it is at a time where I need to put money in it - new
tires and exhaust for starters. So I decided to list it on Ebay yesterday and
see what happens.

What has happened so far (less than 24 hours) is that I have gotten two
inquiries, one from Ahmed in the UAE requesting interior pictures while
commenting that shipping will cost him $2000. The other inquiry is from a
person from Florida (on the other side of the USA, about 2000 miles) who wants
me to call a Florida number. A check on the ID used indicates the person has a
"private" Ebay profile, has gone through 5 different usernames that tend to
appear to be Islamic (i.e. i_liuv_allah, servant*of*allah). Nothing against
Moslems as I lived in Turkey for two years, just an observation.

Just checking on other experiences. This is a very used vehicle - listing
here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221125420361

Like any other classic vehicle, values are quite variable so it is hard to
assess a true value. But values and availability suggest that this is a
vehicle that is not economically feasible or smart to purchase from a great
distance away when similar models can be found closer. So far, I suspect I am
getting the attention of scammers of some sort.

David Councill
64 B
67 BGT
72 B
74 Landcruiser
01 LandRover Discovery
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]