Subject: Re: [Mgs] new muffler

From: Glenn Schnittke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 20:38:35 -0500

I've gotten into the habit of synching not just the idle but the fast 
idle as well. I've run across a number of cars recently that the regular 
linkage was spot on and the choke linkage was way out of whack. Check 
that when you pull the choke both jets are moving about the same 
distance. Thousandths of an inch here aren't important. If they are 
within 1/16" on full choke  that should be close enough. And make sure 
the jets aren't lowered while you're on fast idle alone. As you let the 
choke in, the jets should find home before the fast idle screws leave 
the cam and while they're on the cam they should be in synch. I hope 
that all makes sense. Had a B in a few weeks ago that had a screwed up 
choke linkage on the back carb to the point that there was a good 1/4" 
difference between the jet depths on full choke.

That can make a difference on cold running. The only other thing I can 
think of that would affect cold starts is valve adjustment. If one or 
two valves are on the edge they might be opening fine when hot but not 
so much when cold. That's my two cents worth and I can't find a cent key 
on my computer. What good is this thing?

Glenn

Message: 5
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 08:25:47 -0500
From: Paul Root<[email-masked]>
To: "PaulHunt73"<[email-masked]>
Cc: MG List<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] new muffler
Message-ID:<[email-masked]>

I didn't write that well.

The carbs are synch'd and run well, but are a bit hard to get started. I do
get about 25mpg (US). So I believe it's pretty close. But I just think that I
could get it to start a little easier.

My question really was, could changing the exhaust cause issues like this, or
is it more likely that I knocked something out of kilter.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]