Subject: Re: [Mgs] Selling autos on Ebay

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 11:49:47 -0500

I have listed and sold vehicles on ebay.  whenever I list anything, I always 
put in something to the effect:  scammers don't bother - this item is not 
going anywhere until my bank assures me the cash is in my account.

that has so far prevented those kinds of experiences.

most recently I listed a vehicle (72 VW convertible that I had run across 
being sold by a friend of a friend way too cheap) and I got a call from 
arizona (I'm in dallas).  he was offering to make the deposit via paypal, 
and was going to bring me the cash if I would take down the listing.  he 
paypal'd me the $$ so I was still ahead taking down the listing.  he brought 
me cash a few days later and the car is now in arizona.  I was skeptical and 
careful.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Barrie Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 09:46:34 -0400

Dave,

Getting cash in the bank does not save you from scammers.  Banks post 
your "purchaser's" cheque to your account - so you reckon you have 
the cash.  But the bank can take up to three weeks to clear the 
cheque with the "purchaser's" bank.  They then find the cheque is a 
phony.............so they deduct the cash from your account 
!  OUCH.  The only way is to get your bank that THEY have got the 
money against the cheque.  In Canada a US cheque will usually take 3 
weeks to clear.   Of course, the best way is get the purchaser to use PayPal

At 11:49 AM 9/16/2012 -0500, Dave wrote:
>I have listed and sold vehicles on ebay.  whenever I list anything, 
>I always put in something to the effect:  scammers don't bother - 
>this item is not going anywhere until my bank assures me the cash is 
>in my account.
>
>most recently I listed a vehicle (72 VW convertible that I had run 
>across being sold by a friend of a friend way too cheap) and I got a 
>call from arizona (I'm in dallas).  he was offering to make the 
>deposit via paypal, and was going to bring me the cash if I would 
>take down the listing.  he paypal'd me the $$ so I was still ahead 
>taking down the listing.  he brought me cash a few days later and 
>the car is now in arizona.  I was skeptical and careful.
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

Regards

Barrie
[email-masked]
705-721-9060 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 11:37:50 -0500

I am not that naive.  there is a big difference between check posted and 
cash actually there.

if you look again - what I said was "the bank assures me that the cash is in 
my account."  not that a check has been deposited

-----Original Message----- 
From: Barrie Robinson
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2012 8:46 AM
To: Dave ; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Selling autos on Ebay

Dave,

At 11:49 AM 9/16/2012 -0500, Dave wrote:
>I have listed and sold vehicles on ebay.  whenever I list anything, I 
>always put in something to the effect:  scammers don't bother - this item 
>is not going anywhere until my bank assures me the cash is in my account.
>
>paypal'd me the $$ so I was still ahead taking down the listing.  he 
>brought me cash a few days later and the car is now in arizona.  I was 
>skeptical and careful. 

[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 07:51:31 +0100

I wouldn't rely on a typical bank call-centre telling you that.  The typical 
Joe or Joanne there probably doesn't realise that even though the deposit is 
showing in your account, and available to draw (which is the next stage), it 
could still be clawed back.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> if you look again - what I said was "the bank assures me that the cash is 
> in my account."  not that a check has been deposited

[email-masked]