Subject: Re: [Mgs] Air Compressor

From: Richard Ewald <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 13:02:51 -0700

I would not do this.
You have no idea of the condition of the rest of the walls of the
compressor.  Patch one pin hole and you might then get a catastrophic
failure of the entire tank.
A pressure vessel with a rust hole is scrap IMHO.
Rick

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:46 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> If the hole is just pinhole size I would try sanding around it and using JB
>  Weld. Mine has held for 20 years!
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Juhas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 10:01:39 -0400

I experienced this failure twice now, on a 35 year old 1hp unit and a 
much newer 5hp.  They were not catastrophic, just noisy and wet 
(indicating why they failed).  I found an identical tank for the 5hp, 
hopefully with less/no rust, at a flea market for $10.  I plan to weld 
in a replacement patch on the 1hp to try to save it, cutting back to 
where the tank is still solid.  The little one has sentimental value, 
I've had it so long.

On 8/16/2012 4:02 PM, Richard Ewald wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:46 AM,<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Murray Arundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 06:09:54 +1000

Why are  you guys so bloody mean with your $s?  Obviously you've never seen
the results of a catastrophic failure of a pressure vessel....  For Pete's
sake how much does a basic compressor cost in the US?  Two parts of bugger
all...... Get rid of the old clunker and probably save you life in the
process.

Murray Arundell

On 18/08/2012, at 12:01 AM, Jim Juhas <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I experienced this failure twice now, on a 35 year old 1hp unit and a much
newer 5hp.  They were not catastrophic, just noisy and wet (indicating why
they failed).  I found an identical tank for the 5hp, hopefully with less/no
rust, at a flea market for $10.  I plan to weld in a replacement patch on the
1hp to try to save it, cutting back to where the tank is still solid.  The
little one has sentimental value, I've had it so long.
>>> Weld. Mine has held for 20 years!
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]