Subject: [Mgs] Charging Problems

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 23:40:35 +0000 (UTC)

Dear Sages of the List, (Lawrie Alexander)

Ever since I followed detailed instructions about going from a positive ground
to a negative ground in my TF the ammeter has been showing a discharge. Yes, I
did reverse the wires on the back of the ammeter. All was good prior to the
switch. It seems to be holding it's own while just the engine is running. As
soon as I turn on the headlights I show a fair discharge. I would love to use
a multimeter to check the generator output prior to taking it out. I do have a
multimeter but so many placesB (6) to plug in the probesB on the multimeter.
and so many settings on the dial. I get somewhat cornfused. Any help out
there. Any troubleshooting advice would be very much appreciated.B 

Donald J. Toy
"all great men are dead...and I'm not feeling well"
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 08:50:44 +0100

Did you repolarise the dynamo?  If it is *always* showing a discharge, i.e. 
when it is running as well as when you turn the lights on with the engine 
stopped, then it isn't charging.  As to 'holding it's own' you do need to 
connect a voltmeter to see if it is charging at all, although unless it 
shows a strong charge immediately after cranking and starting then again it 
probably isn't charging.

As far as your multimeter goes we don't know what you have, so RTFM :o)

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> did reverse the wires on the back of the ammeter. 

[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 13:59:00 GMT

You wrote that all was good before changing the polarity. Did you mean that
the dynamo was charging as it should, then, but not now?
   If it worked properly then, and you sparked/polarised it, then it should b
ok now.
   I suspect the control box. Clean its points and see if the problem is
solved.
   There are many designs for multimeters. Set yous up for DC, and use a range
that is greater than 15V, 0-20 scale would be better, if your meter has it.
Bob

---------- Original Message ----------
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mgs] Charging Problems
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 23:40:35 +0000 (UTC)

Ever since I followed detailed instructions about going from a positive
ground
to a negative ground in my TF the ammeter has been showing a discharge. Yes,
I
did reverse the wires on the back of the ammeter. All was good prior to the
switch. It seems to be holding it's own while just the engine is running. As
soon as I turn on the headlights I show a fair discharge. I would love to use
a multimeter to check the generator output prior to taking it out. I do have
a
multimeter but so many placesB (6) to plug in the probesB on the multimeter.
and so many settings on the dial. I get somewhat cornfused. Any help out
there. Any troubleshooting advice would be very much appreciated.B

Donald J. Toy

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 15:53:57 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks to Bob and Paul for helping me out with the charging problem. Turns out that maybe just maybe it takes one two or three sparks to repolarize the generator. Also a big thanks to L awrie Alexander who authored the tech help on the subject. He alluded to the fact that it just might not repolarize on the first spark. Seems like this would have been the time for my if one is enough then 15 should be really good attitude. Thanks again. Enjoy your cars. Time for a drive :^) 

Donald J. Toy 

[email-masked]