Subject: Re: [Mgs] [Mg-t] TD Oil Seal

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 04:53:54 -0400 (EDT)

Hello  Bill IMO, the Moss seal is not needed.
Align bore the block to bring the main bearing clearance down to .001" (with
new bearings).
Done.
My car has virtually no leaks.
Do not use the Moss front seal, I have a part # for a thinner seal which works
better.
Len

-----Original Message-----
From: Wbeech <[email-masked]>
To: 'mg-t' <[email-masked]>; mgs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wed, Aug 8, 2012 5:14 pm
Subject: [Mg-t] TD Oil Seal

Friend just brought over his '52 TD and showed me the oil leaking from the
weep hole in the bell housing.  Probably a drop every 10 seconds as it sat
there idling.

Couldn't think of anything good to say to him but it must be the rear main
seal.  It there anything else up there that could be leaking so badly?

I just looked in the Moss catalog at the seal replacement kit that they
sell.  Does anyone here have any experience with it?  Are there any other
good alternatives out there?

Lastly, May I presume that this cannot be done with the engine in situ?  I
have never pulled a TD engine, any particular tricks?  Must I pull the
engine/tranny together?

Thanks to all,
Bill
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Ron Olds <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 10:40:18 +0000

Bill,

I have the same leak on my TD engine following rebuilding the engine. I used
the Moss rear seal.  The car is not on the road yet and I haven't done
anything about it yet but I probable will have to.  It is my understanding
that the weep hole is designed for oil to drip.  What I don't know is how much
is designed to drip.  Please keep me informed as to how you address the
problem, the solution and results.

Thanks,

Ronald Olds

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Wbeech
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 5:06 PM
To: 'mg-t'; [email-masked]
Subject: [Mg-t] TD Oil Seal

I just looked in the Moss catalog at the seal replacement kit that they sell.
Does anyone here have any experience with it?  Are there any other good
alternatives out there?

Thanks to all,
Bill

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Mike E <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 07:56:44 -0400

Bill,
Also see what Abingdon Spares has to offer.  I've often found them to be less
expensive, with the same or better quality.  They ONLY sell MG T parts, so
they cater to us.   www.abingdonsparesllc.com  They're a bit old fashioned -
you can look at their catalog and prices online, but you'll have to phone in
your order.  They ship very quickly.  I have no experience with either
company's rear main seals, however.NFI, and all that.
Also, if anyone is concerned about ZDDP, Abingdon Spares sells their own blend
of oil specially formulated with additives for our cars.  Look under
"specials."
Best of luck to you and your friend!
-Mike Eldred
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 16:05:39 -0500
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]