Subject: [Mgs] Roadster screen

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 16:44:35 +0100

Has anyone had the thick spacers and shims out of the sockets where the screen
legs go?  A pal is rebuilding what he bought as an abandoned restoration,
couldn't find these parts and has ordered and received them from one of the
usual suspects (MGOC).  As far as I was aware the spacers and shims were held
in the body with a small screw between the two main screen leg bolt holes.
However whilst the shims (looks like fibre board) have a central hole the
thick spacers don't.  Also the thick spacers have the AHH number heavily
embossed on one face, which will either go against the screen leg or the shim
and body.  As the bolts will pull the screen leg against the thick spacer, and
the shims, to the body panel it seems to me that the embossing could get
crushed over time, it is only alloy, loosening the screen.  The letters are
also on a plinth raising them even higher, so tightening the bolts is going to
tend to bend the spacer and/or the screen leg, depending on which way the
embossing faces.

So, *should* the small screw screw into the thick spacer?  And are originals
embossed like that?

Thanks,
PaulH.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Barney Gaylord <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 14:19:49 -0500

It might help if we knew what model car.  The MGA has no spacers, 
only fiber shims as required (not always).

At 04:44 PM 5/13/2012 +0100, PaulHunt73 wrote:
>Has anyone had the thick spacers and shims out of the sockets where 
>the screen legs go?  A pal is rebuilding what he bought as an 
>abandoned restoration, couldn't find these parts and has ordered and 
>received them from one of the usual suspects (MGOC).  As far as I 
>was aware the spacers and shims were held in the body with a small 
>screw between the two main screen leg bolt holes. However whilst the 
>shims (looks like fibre board) have a central hole the thick spacers 
>don't.  Also the thick spacers have the AHH number heavily embossed 
>on one face, which will either go against the screen leg or the shim 
>and body.  As the bolts will pull the screen leg against the thick 
>spacer, and the shims, to the body panel it seems to me that the 
>embossing could get crushed over time, it is only alloy, loosening 
>the screen.  The letters are also on a plinth raising them even 
>higher, so tightening the bolts is going to tend to bend the spacer 
>and/or the screen leg, depending on which way the embossing faces.
>
>So, *should* the small screw screw into the thick spacer?  And are 
>originals embossed like that?
>....

[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 08:42:10 +0100

True - MGB.  It's the spacers and packing that have to be right or you can 
crack the glass, which is why I'm bothered about the embossing getting 
compressed.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> It might help if we knew what model car.  The MGA has no spacers, only 
> fiber shims as required (not always).
>
>
>>Has anyone had the thick spacers and shims out of the sockets where the 
>>screen legs go? 

[email-masked]