Subject: [Mgs] Adhesive suggestions for carpet and seats

From: "Steve Shoyer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 10:53:58 -0400

I'm finally replacing the interior on my 1980 MGB.  I bought the light tan
leather complete kit from Moss, but I wasn't sure which adhesive I should
use.  I looked through the archives but only found old posts; has anyone
used anything recently that they would recommend?  Thanks.
 
--Steve (1980 MGB)
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "\" Just Brits \" Shop" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 10:23:40 -0500

Hi Steve !

<< On 5/29/2012 9:53 AM, Steve Shoyer wrote:

.....has anyone used anything recently that they would recommend?   >>

Stop in an Old Car Upholstery Shop (with a box of donuts<G>) and ask 
them.  They will be more up on things than anyone <G><G><G> ! ! !

And do NOT glue the carpets ! ! !  If you botch a couple of the @ 1" 
round snaps, I have in stock <G> ! ! !

Ed
Please visit MY site at:
www.justbrits.com

[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 16:24:39 +0100

I used an aerosol adhesive for both.  Can't remember the brand, it was 22 
years ago.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> use. 

[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 16:57:10 +0100

Carpet does need gluing on sills, rear arches, and heel board.  (Toe boards? 
Can't remember).  It's true floor carpets don't - the rear is retained by 
the seat runners, the front by three snaps each side.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> And do NOT glue the carpets ! ! ! 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Councill, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 16:51:25 +0000

I'm a little late on this but I can add a bit to what Paul says. When I did my
72B, the previous owner had glued in all  the carpet pieces and it was a real
pain to remove. So with that lesson, I installed the new carpet with minimal
glue. I used a 3M spray adhesive, and I lightly sprayed the sill and rear arch
pieces. The heel board attached with screws as I recall. The tunnel piece,
floor pieces, and rear had less need to secure, and definitely not requiring
glue.

David Councill
64 B
67 BGT
72 B

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of PaulHunt73
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 9:57 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Adhesive suggestions for carpet and seats

Carpet does need gluing on sills, rear arches, and heel board.  (Toe boards?
Can't remember).  It's true floor carpets don't - the rear is retained by the
seat runners, the front by three snaps each side.

PaulH.

----- Original Message -----

[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 10:21:40 -0700

After customizing the tunnel cover to fit the 4-synchro tranny, I had to
redo the tunnel carpet from scratch, so I installed snaps. The tunnel carpet
is what gets soaked first if you're ever caught using the tonneau when it
rains, so it's handy to have it removable. The floor carpet goes without
saying...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149
If you're near Menlo Park, CA,
it's the primer red one with chrome wires

[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 08:51:18 +0100

Tunnel carpet just drops on and sits there, as far as I'm aware, no glue or 
snaps.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> redo the tunnel carpet from scratch, so I installed snaps. 

[email-masked]

---

From: Max Heim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 08:32:06 -0700

Not the kind you get from Moss. It's not exactly fitted -- it would be like
tossing a burlap bag over the tunnel and expecting it to stay put.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 16:58:57 +0100

Mine's not moulded, but it still stays where it is.  The centre armrest 
probably helps.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 

[email-masked]