Subject: [Mgs] Can't remove clutch slave components

From: "Steve Shoyer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 01:50:30 -0400

I'm trying to replace my clutch slave cylinder, as well as the hose leading
to it, but I can't loosen the fitting on the pipe that connects to the
clutch hose.  I'm afraid of breaking the pipe if I use too much force on the
wrench.  I sprayed the area with B'laster, which hasn't made any difference
yet.
 
On top of that, the clevis pin that holds the push rod to the clutch lever
is rusted in place and won't budge either.
 
I would use a torch to heat them both up, but it doesn't look like the
safest idea, mainly because everything in the area is covered by oil or
underbody sealer.
 
Does anyone have any tips how to get the old parts loose?  Thanks.
 
--Steve Shoyer   1980 MGB
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 11:48:39 +0100

It's a beggar unless you take the engine out!  Removing the starter might 
give you more access.  Failing that I'd cut the hose off then grind the 
fitting off from the bottom of the bracket which should allow you to lift 
the top part of the fitting away from the bracket and pull it down a bit to 
give better access to the two parts that are normally above the bracket. 
Worst case scenario is that you have to replace the pipe from master to 
bracket as well.  If you give up on the hose and just replace the slave you 
will probably find that with the slave screwed onto the hose the slave 
brackets no longer line up with the bell-housing as the thread start is 
almost certainly in a different place.  I was lucky, an additional copper 
washer lined it up again, you don't want to bolt it on with the hose 
twisted.  What was really annoying is that I'd only just put the engine back 
after a clutch change, only then finding that the slave had started leaking.

You may not need to remove the clevis pin, the push-rod coming out of the 
rubber boot simply sits in an indentation in the outer face of the piston, 
it's not attached.  You should be able to get away with using the old 
push-rod as long as it is the same length as the new.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 07:08:53 -0400 (EDT)

Had the same problem. Used a wire wheel on a 3/8 drill to clean the connection
fitting then a few min. with pb blaster and it came right off.
????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Shoyer &lt;[email-masked]&gt;
To: mgs &lt;[email-masked]&gt;
Sent: Wed, May 9, 2012 3:35 am
Subject: [Mgs] Can't remove clutch slave components

--Steve Shoyer   1980 MGB

[email-masked]
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Steve Shoyer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 10:41:13 -0400

Thanks to everyone who responded on the list and offline.  I was finally
able to get the pipe disconnected from the hose without breaking the pipe,
so it looks like I don't need to pull the engine for this job - yet, anyway.
The new push rod is longer than the old one, so I still need to remove the
clevis pin, but there's more clearance to get to it so I hope it won't be
too much of an ordeal.

--Steve (1980 MGB)

----- Original Message ----- 
> I'm trying to replace my clutch slave cylinder, as well as the hose 
> leading to it, but I can't loosen the fitting on the pipe that 
> connects to the clutch hose...

[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 14:56:13 -0500

Are you sure you have the right parts?

CR

On 5/10/2012 9:41 AM, Steve Shoyer wrote:
> clevis pin,
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]