Subject: [Mgs] MGA door pillar spacing

From: "Tom McCay - Classic-Car-World Ltd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 19:53:48 +0100

Hi guys, I'm in the process of starting to strip down my latest project (MK1
MGA1600). The car would appear to be original but in need of a full body off
rebuild with the usual repairs. I'm making a set of door gap bracing out of 1"
square box section to keep the body ridged when I lift it off the chassis. The
bracing will be welded to plates which will be screwed to the hinge mounting
points and the door shut mounting. Measuring everything up I currently have a
1/4" difference between the near side and the off side door gaps when measured
between the inside edges at the top of the A & B pillars. The measurements I
have are 30" & 30+1/4".

Does anyone have the measurements as they should be or a car which is correct
and can take the measurements for me please?

Many thanks

Tom
MK1 MGA 1600
AH 3000 BJ8
Classic Mini Park Lane.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "\" Just Brits \" Shop" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 14:13:28 -0500

<< On 4/27/2012 1:53 PM, Tom McCay - Classic-Car-World Ltd wrote:

             I'm making a set of door gap bracing out of 1" square box 
section to keep
                      the body ridged when I lift it off the chassis. >>

Big time OVERKILL, Tom <G> ! !

Just p/u a couple "sticks" (1/2" x 8' or 10' foot - area dependent) of 
electrical
conduit.  Cut to proper over-sized length and add @ 4" to both ends.  
Get your
handy-dandy BFH out and flatten those 4" ends.  Locate the 1st piece, 
oh say 4"
down from top of door and screw into place.  Repeat and bottom of door 
opening.
Repeat using a diagonal piece of pipe across door opening.  Repeat on 
the other
side <VBG> ! !

Same procedure for front to back and any other location you feel needs 
bracing.

I've got a pic of a MGTD 'tub' done this way and it has been moved a LOT.
Doors FALL into perfect place <VBG> ! !

Ed
Please visit MY site at:
www.justbrits.com

PS:  I'll try to find later today, put up on my site and let ya'll 
know when up.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]