Subject: [Mgs] Fuel Pumps

From: Jack Feldman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 20:40:00 -0500

I prefer the pump that looks like a cube. It comes with all sorts of brand
names on it, even no name. Facet was one of the names.

Don't get them from Moss, but try J.C. Whitney where I got mine. Every once
in a while Moss comes up with an outrageous price for something that can be
gotten for a fraction of the price  locally. NAPA no loner carries them,
but I"m sure the ones they do carry are just as good.

Not knowing how dependable the fuel pump that came with my cars I added a
second square pump to each car. They are controlled by a sing pole double
throw switch with a center off. That way you can chose either pump or
neither to let the carbs run dry when storing the car. Radio Shack has a
nice one with a red bat handle to differentiate from the fog and driving
light switch.

Coming home from a MG2008 my car died. After a brief check I determined my
old SU had died, so a simple switch got me started again. When I got home I
replaced the old SU with another cube pump..

It is a belt and suspenders approach, but it came in handy.

Jack
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Don <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 18:54:32 -0700

Two of the three MGs I own have those little square pumps.  They are 
really noisy and run all the time.  Maybe that is good, but I am a 
purist and like the clicking of an SU which lets me know if it's 
flooded or not pumping by too much of the soft ticking noise or lack of it.
I converted the aftermarket fuel pump on my MGA to an SU.  I hope to 
convert the TF to an SU pump.  My MGB's Facet pump is really noisy, 
and never stops.  If it was like an SU that stopped pumping when it 
had pressure it would not be so irritating.

Don Scott
Calistoga CA USA
1955 MGTF
1962 MGA Mk 2
1967 MGB
1963-7 MGB (seeking)
Misc. Japanese cars

[email-masked]

---

From: Mike Eldred <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 10:06:08 -0400

Double ditto.  One of the first "extras" I'll buy for my Midget after it's
returned to regular duty is an SU fuel pump to replace the cube that it came
with, and a set of SU carbs to replace the Weber that someone stuck in place
of the perfectly good SUs that it came with.
For me, the biggest reason is that they're long lasting, reliable, and
repairable with hand tools and a modicum of mechanical ability.  The SU fuel
pump on my TF has been rebuilt once in the 45 years we've owned it, and the
same with the SU carbs, mainly to replace a couple of worn parts.
I don't know if it makes me a purist, but I know I want my MGs to look, sound,
smell, and run like they're supposed to.  On the other hand, some upgrades I
wouldn't hesitate to undertake.  If I had the opportunity to upgrade my TF
brakes to MGA discs or install an MGA rear, I'd do it for the improved
driveability and safety.
-Mike EldredWilmington, VT1954 MG TF1973 Midget
> Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 18:54:32 -0700
> To: [email-masked]
> From: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Mgs] Fuel Pumps
>
> Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Barrie Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 12:34:05 -0400

A most interesting subject but may be perception is a great part of 
it.  My perception is that fuel pumps are no more failure prone than 
belts, capacitors or rotor arms, distributor, water pumps, carbs, 
fuel lines, etc etc etc.  Each one capable of bringing the car to a 
halt.  So why not have standby units for all those units?   I have 
been messing with Brit cars, interspersed with German and Italian 
ones, since 1951 when my Dad bought me my first car - an MG 
TD.  Never have I had a fuel pump fail but I have had those sickening 
"blah-blick-click-crunch-grrr-clunk noises which signified the end my 
particular road trip.

At 09:54 PM 4/22/2012, Don wrote:
>Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

Regards

Barrie
[email-masked]
(705) 721-9060 

[email-masked]