Subject: Re: [Mgs] 1966 OD Plug

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 20:04:25 GMT

It probably started out as a British size, but one can only guess what is in
there now. Let's hope that a DPO did not force in a plug with non-original
threads.  You can grind/file a wrench to fit, or use an adjustable spanner.
As you are working upside down, are you certain that you are turning in the
correct direction?    John Esposito, Quantum Mechanics, says that use of the
oil in the engine is OK, but prefers the use of straight 30w oil.  See his
discussion on his site about it.  Good practice is to pour in a bit less than
the specified amount, then test & top off as needed. Draining off excess is
not a pleasant task. Bob

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Ray Graham" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Mgs] 1966 OD Plug
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 20:51:56 -0500

Folks:

I decided to change the gearbox oil in my 1966 MGB.  I have drained the main
gear box, but when I attempt to remove the OD plug which is marked "Drain" I
can't  find the correct wrench to fit.what gives?  What size is this?

I plan to refill with 20W50 oil.same that I run in the engine.right?
Manuals say about 2-2.5 qts. for gearbox and OD?

Thanks,

Ray Graham
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 05:03:43 -0500

One of the phenomena about our LBCs is the that everybody has his/her 
own idea about the fluids to use in the things.  Seem like the factory 
manual has to be superseded by "facts."  So, the factory manual says to 
use engine oil in the transmission & overdrive?  Nuts!  Folklore sez 
that ain't right!  Let's put (fill in the blanks) in it!

Sheesh, I can remember when there was a long thread on this list about 
whether to use detergent oil in the gearbox or not.  Someone came up 
with the bright idea that the detergents would harm the synchros.

Me, I figure that the engineers who designed the gearbox might know what 
lube to use in it and they said so in the manual.  My gearbox/overdrive 
has Castrol 20W50 in it.  Been running that way for many years.

OOPS!  I'm now using Valvoline Racing oil in the engine for the ZDDP 
content.  Yikes! Maybe I ought to replace the oil in the tranny!(?)

And so it goes..........

CR

[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 05:05:14 -0500

Leave that plug in the OD alone.  Refill the gearbox and don't worry.  
The oil will get in the OD anyway.

CR

[email-masked]

---

From: Barrie Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 11:12:35 -0400

I am an engineer from good old Blighty and I know that engineers can 
be wrong.  I bought a new Maserati Biturbo and found that 2nd gear 
sucked. I heard Alfa Romeos had the same problem but had solved it by 
using ATF so I tried it.  Worked beautifully and my gearbox worked 
like a Swiss sewing machine for years.   So the engineers were wrong 
and recommend the wrong oil.  One consideration is that modern 
machinery means closer tolerances which effects any reconditioned 
engine that has had the bores, pistons, and piston rings 
done.  Another consideration is that oil, petrol, and grease have 
changed since MGBs were pups.

At 06:03 AM 4/27/2012, Charley & Peggy Robinson wrote:
>One of the phenomena about our LBCs is the that everybody has 
>his/her own idea about the fluids to use in the things.  Seem like 
>the factory manual has to be superseded by "facts."  So, the factory 
>manual says to use engine oil in the transmission & 
>overdrive?  Nuts!  Folklore sez that ain't right!  Let's put (fill 
>in the blanks) in it!
>
>Sheesh, I can remember when there was a long thread on this list 
>about whether to use detergent oil in the gearbox or not.  Someone 
>came up with the bright idea that the detergents would harm the synchros.
>
>Me, I figure that the engineers who designed the gearbox might know 
>what lube to use in it and they said so in the manual.  My 
>gearbox/overdrive has Castrol 20W50 in it.  Been running that way 
>for many years.
>
>Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

Regards

Barrie
[email-masked]
(705) 721-9060 

[email-masked]

---

From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 06:39:35 -0500

What do you mean by "second gear sucked" Barrie?  Did it suck air?  :-D

Actually, it sounds like there was something bad about the design of the 
gearbox and the ATF was a patch on the problem.  Glad it worked out for 
you, though.

CR

On 4/27/2012 10:12 AM, Barrie Robinson wrote:
> engine that has had the bores, pistons, and piston rings done.  
> Another consideration is that oil, petrol, and grease have changed 
> since MGBs were pups.

[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Moog <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 08:55:00 -0400

I try to follow OEM recommendations but do stray on some lubrication 
issues.  Some times the OEMs have no clue.  The LT77 5-speed is one such 
example.  Started as SAE 75 gearbox oil, then they recommended engine 
oil, then ATF.  I also believe MGs started with gearbox oil then changed 
their recommendation to engine oil to improve shift action.

In most of my manual boxes, I use Pennzoil Sychromesh Transmission 
fluid.  Its a synthetic low viscosity (slightly thicker than AFT,  
Almost the same as 10weight oils, designed to solve some heat and 
bearing related failures in GM Fiero transmissions made by Getrag (or so 
I've heard).  Its very popular with the T5 Mustang crowd.  Seems to keep 
smooth shifts in a box that well known for balky upshifts (fiber sychros 
are not too strong).

On 4/28/2012 7:39 AM, Charley & Peggy Robinson wrote:
> Actually, it sounds like there was something bad about the design of 
> the gearbox and the ATF was a patch on the problem.  Glad it worked 
> out for you, though.
>
>
> Unsubscribe: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

[email-masked]