Subject: [Mgs] valve adjustment

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 12:05:08 +0000 (UTC)

I am having difficulty trying to adjust the valve on #6 rocker on my "78 MGB. I have replaced the rocker itself, but it is still noisy. Something  I have tried is to slide a feeler gauge into the gap while the engine is running. That quiets it to a normal level. Could it be a worn valve, tappet, cam lobe? The big question is whether I should pull the head at this point to investigate further? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sam
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Paul Hunt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 13:51:11 +0100

Ordinarily that sounds like a worn pad on the rocker, so that a 15 thou 
gauge with a sliding fit results in a 20 thou, say, gap.  However I note the 
new rocker.

What system are you using to adjust the valves?  What clearance?  Hot or 
cold?  Most people use the rule of nine where when any valve is fully down 
you subtract that from nine and adjust that one, i.e. when 1 is down you 
adjust 8, 6 down adjust 3, and so on.  However I have found that on some of 
my valves that isn't the point with the greatest gap, it is someway one side 
of it or the other, so on those I set the gap at the point of greatest gap, 
and that does make them a bit quieter.

OTOH maybe the followers or something else is worn and rattling, and putting 
the gauge in with the engine running is simply taking up all the gap so it 
can't rattle.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
>I am having difficulty trying to adjust the valve on #6 rocker on my "78 
>MGB. I have replaced the rocker itself, but it is still noisy. 

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 09:41:36 -0500

The crane cams method just about guarantees that the lifter for
the valve you are adjusting is resting on the base circle:

set the intake valve when that valve's exhaust partner is JUST starting to 
open
set the exhaust valve when that valve's intake partner is ALMOST closed.

If you ever get to fool around with an OHC motor, you can view the wisdom of
this method

art de armond

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:05 AM
To: mg list
Subject: [Mgs] valve adjustment

I am having difficulty trying to adjust the valve on #6 rocker on my "78 
MGB. I have replaced the rocker itself, but it is still noisy. Something  I 
have tried is to slide a feeler gauge into the gap while the engine is 
running. That quiets it to a normal level. Could it be a worn valve, tappet, 
cam lobe? The big question is whether I should pull the head at this point 
to investigate further? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sam
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Unsubscribe: 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.1913 / Virus Database: 2411/4943 - Release Date: 04/17/12 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Paul Hunt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 16:10:50 +0100

It shouldn't need to be as accurate as that.  The base circle *should* exist 
for a minimum of 180 degrees at the heel, and probably slightly more than 
that.  Which means that anywhere in that 180 degrees *should* give the same, 
maximum clearance.  But as individual cams will show, the greatest clearance 
can exist over a much smaller rotational angle than that, and in any 
position.  It's that you need to find, on your cam, and adjust to.

http://www.lunatipower.com/Images/Tech/Cams/AnnotatedCamLobeLarge.gif

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 

[email-masked]