Subject: Re: [Mgb-v8] MGB V8 rear end noise

From: "Smit, Theo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 13:47:35 +0000

The pinion angle should be about the same as what the angle of the
transmission output shaft is, so that the input and output yokes of the
driveshaft are nominally parallel.

Whining is not usually a symptom of pinion angle issues - it is probably
(still) a gearset installation issue, or else there9s a bearing that is no
good.

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2012/03/30/quick-guide-to-diagnosing-differen
tial-driveline-noises/

Good luck,
Theo

On 2015-04-28, 7:35 AM, "Jim Ray" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>My 1980 MGB V8 conversion has a Ford 8" rear end that makes a terrible
>whining noise. I have replaced the crown and pinion gears but saw no
>improvement. I am guessing that the pinion angle may be off. Does anyone
>have a suggestion to what the proper angle should be? Any suggestions
>would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Jim Ray

________________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s) and contain information that may be confidential
and/or legally privileged. If you have received this email in error, please
notify the sender by reply email and delete the message. Any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of this communication (including attachments) by
someone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. Thank you.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Smit, Theo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 15:35:01 +0000

The way it9s done on leaf-spring cars is to put wedges between the spring
perch on the axle and the top leaf. On cars with coil-spring rear ends
it9s difficult unless you have adjustable length trailing arms on the top
or bottom.

Correct on the propshaft angle - but on many cars, the transmission output
shaft is on the car centerline, while the differential yoke is offset
about an inch to one side or the other so that the overall differential
assembly is on-center and the same rear axles can be used on both sides of
the car. In that case, the constant lateral offset is enough to give the
U-joints the articulation they need. I don9t know if the Ford axle is in
that category but it would also depend on if the axles have been shortened
from stock.

Theo

On 2015-04-28, 9:14 AM, "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>I know nowt about Ford rear ends and little enough of MGB, but are they
>even
>adjustable?
>
>Incidentally the propshaft should always be at an angle to both the
>gearbox
>output shaft and the diff input shaft under steady running conditions so
>as to
>force the UJ bearings to rotate back and fore as the propshaft rotates.
>If
>they are always dead in line the UJ bearings will wear rapidly.
>
>http://www.hurst-drivelines.com/files/Universal_Joint_Alignment_Proc_11160
>6.p
>df

[email-masked]