Subject: Re: [Mgb-v8] Batteries

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 08:17:29 +0100

I don't really see how a battery being sick can damage a starter by itself. 
The only thing I can think of at the moment is that for whatever reason the 
engine wouldn't start, and you just kept cranking and cranking, burning out 
either the solenoid or the motor, which would be 'user misoperation'!  Oh 
yes, and another is that it's been cooked from heat from the right-hand 
down-pipe, because the heat-shield is either missing or inadequate.  My 
standard starter failed - solenoid gradually lost it's mojo - which is a 
symptom of this heat damage.  The heat shield was only a tin plate, 
originally OK when it was shiny both sides I suppose, but as develops 
surface rust the amount of heat it radiates towards the starter gets more 
and more.  I fitted one from Clive Wheatley which was a rigid, shaped board 
of heat insulation material about 3/16" thick.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> My high torque starter (from Ted Schumacher) went awol and the repair chap 
> here says it maybe because my battery is sick 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: James Bown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 21:19:51 -0600

The original message brought into question batteries from Sears, Walmart,
K-Mart, etc.Those stores and others get their batteries from Johnson
Controls.This blurb regarding Johnson Controls is interesting:"Johnson
Controls designs and manufactures automotive batteries for passenger cars,
heavy and light duty trucks, utility vehicles, motorcycles, golf carts and
boats. It supplies more than one third of the worlds lead-acid batteries to
automakers and aftermarket
retailers including Wal-Mart, Sears and BMW. Lead
acid battery brands produced
by Johnson Controls include OPTIMA, Heliar, LTH,
and VARTA automotive batteries.
Johnson Controls also manufactures Lithium-ion
cells and complete battery
systems to power hybrid and electric vehicles such
as the Ford Fusion and Daimlers S-Class 400. Additionally, it manufactures
Absorbent Glass Matt (AGM) and Enhanced Flooded Batteries (EFB) batteries to
power start-stop vehicles such as
the Chevy Malibu and Ford Fusion. As
of
2012, the business unit operated from 60 locations worldwide. "
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "PaulHunt73" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 08:13:00 -0000

But built to whose spec?  Whose label is on them?  Many years ago I was 
involved with buying switches from a Japanese company and they asked "How 
long do you want them to last?".  We had sets of samples with different 
'specs' and each batch lasted for that spec and little more.

PaulH.

----- Original Message ----- 
> Controls.... 

[email-masked]