Subject: [Healeys] Instrument clamp nuts

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2026 10:57:41 -0400

--===============0124900971080733223==

--0000000000008c97fa06509a9214

I have a collection of instrument retaining clamps and nuts but am confused
about the different threads on those nuts.
As far as I can find the thread on the studs on the Smiths/Jaeger is 3BA
however, I have several nuts (these are the round ones with various sorts
of knurling on the periphery) that seem to have a different thread and will
only go onto most of the instruments a turn or 2 before jamming.
Does anyone know if there is more than one thread used for these studs and
other then 3BA what is the other thread.

M

--0000000000008c97fa06509a9214
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:arial,sa=
ns-serif;font-size:small">I have a collection of instrument retaining clamp=
s and nuts but am confused about the different threads on those nuts.</div>=
<div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-siz=
e:small">As far as I can find the thread on the studs on the Smiths/Jaeger =
is 3BA however, I have several nuts (these are the round ones with various =
sorts of knurling on the periphery) that seem to have a different thread an=
d will only go onto most of the instruments a turn or 2 before jamming.=C2=
=A0</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif=
;font-size:small">Does anyone know if there is more than one thread used fo=
r these studs and other then 3BA what is the other thread.</div><div class=
=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small"><=
br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif=
;font-size:small">M</div></div>

--0000000000008c97fa06509a9214--

--===============0124900971080733223==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============0124900971080733223==--

---

From: Hank Leach via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2026 01:35:40 +0000 WzO4x67bljFk5NfpwCE/FRdBAMy+Hdt4icenFeMmXcp4szbUz7W5KSSO7+8gT4PZzU+YpShcuCUX7Em24Z72DBCbuqve7jYVcQXdAtRu3VD3oDQx8WT47Srm

----_NmP-e5f3a4c5b7e3b5e4-Part_1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div>Michael-unfortunately the 100 parts book does not address the =
instruments. The later parts books do and for the BJ8 the nuts are 17H1304.=
 I just looked at a NOS speedo I have for the BJ8 and the thread is close =
to 8-32 but it only goes on a couple of threads so it is not Unified.</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>Moss catalog calls for the nuts 300-370 for BN1 to =
BJ7 and for the BJ8 its part 361-035 so they are different than earlier =
instrument parts. Could be just the knurling as the BJs are fine knurls and=
 others might be coarser. My thought is that all of them are/sb 3BA. Here =
are pics of 100. 100-6 and 3000 (BJ8) Hank</div>
<div><br>-----------------=
--- <br><br>From: "Michael Salter" &lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br>To: =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br>Sent: April 29, 2026 at 8:33 AM PDT =
<br>Subject: [Healeys] Instrument clamp nuts </div>
<div>
<div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family: arial,sans-serif; =
font-size: small;">I have a collection of instrument retaining clamps and =
nuts but am confused about the different threads on those nuts.</div>
<div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family: arial,sans-serif; =
font-size: small;">As far as I can find the thread on the studs on the =
Smiths/Jaeger is 3BA however, I have several nuts (these are the round ones=
 with various sorts of knurling on the periphery) that seem to have a =
different thread and will only go onto most of the instruments a turn or 2 =
before jamming.&nbsp;</div>
<div class=3D"gmail_default" =
style=3D"font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: small;">Does anyone know=
 if there is more than one thread used for these studs and other then 3BA =
what is the other thread.</div>
<div class=3D"gmail_default" =
style=3D"font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: small;">&nbsp;</div>
<div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family: arial,sans-serif; =
font-size: small;">M</div>
</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
----_NmP-e5f3a4c5b7e3b5e4-Part_1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=20230618_152647.jpg

----_NmP-e5f3a4c5b7e3b5e4-Part_1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=IMG_20250510_121352934_HDR.jpg

----_NmP-e5f3a4c5b7e3b5e4-Part_1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=IMG_20250509_170037260.jpg

----_NmP-e5f3a4c5b7e3b5e4-Part_1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

----_NmP-e5f3a4c5b7e3b5e4-Part_1--