Subject: Re: [Healeys] coils

From: Hank Leach via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2025 21:53:39 +0000 h+oIeTpG+yl3A34KNoS5YYTtYxmXqiElcWeMxFXxqArWbhrSQg1AmeS05a/0S8tZRpI9uQ8bY7nxNWrP6Pdbpfkj+mjdLgJlc7iHMB+vTqvy0Ek5jYt+bKrR jT4naC08bxIq2db3ZwLxH6YMvoBmSR8zsZJ7gFEJgNM=

--===============8273099462273923918==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div>Way to go Richard!&nbsp; Thanks for that explanation-it clears up the =
resistor air...Hank<br>-------------------- <br><br>From: "richard mayor" =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br>To: "Leach Hank" &lt;gradea1@charter.=
net&gt; <br>Cc: "Richard Antal" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;, "Engl" =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;, "Healeys" &lt;[email-masked]&gt; =
<br>Sent: September 9, 2025 at 2:20 PM PDT <br>Subject: Re: [Healeys] coils=
 <br>There are two types of coils. Those that have an internal resistance =
of 3 ohms and therefore do not need a ballast &nbsp;resister. The other =
type has an internal resistance of 1.0 - 1.5 ohms and will burn up the =
points without a ballast resister in line with the coil. &nbsp;</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>A Pertronix or any other electronic trigger does not=
 need a 3 ohm coil or a 1.5 ohm coil with ballast resister because it does =
not have points that would get burned up with a continuous 12 volts.=
&nbsp;</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;<br =
id=3D"lineBreakAtBeginningOfMessage">
<div>
<div>Richard Mayor</div>
<div>[email-masked]</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div><br>
<blockquote>
<div>On Sep 9, 2025, at 8:51=E2=80=AFAM, Hank Leach via =
Healeys &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:</div>
<div>
<div>I believe the ballast resistor was a unit which helped to keep a =
traditional set of points from burning/sparking.&nbsp; The Jensen-Healey =
uses such an arrangement.&nbsp; However, due to the inaccessibility of the =
distributor (under the manifold) I converted to Pertronix years ago. Then =
one day the car would not start. I mapped out the ballast resistor using a =
paper clip and was on my way. Hank<br>-------------------- <br><br>From: =
"Engl via Healeys" &lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br>Reply-To: "Engl" =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br>To: "Richard Antal" &lt;rantal243@yahoo.=
com&gt; <br>Cc: "Healeys" &lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br>Sent: =
September 8, 2025 at 8:25 PM PDT <br>Subject: Re: [Healeys] coils =
<br>Rich</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>I have petronix with the non-ballast =
Lucas Sportcoil (&lsquo;65 BJ8). &nbsp;I think the ballast coil is used =
only for cars with a ballast resistor in the ignition circuit (like the =
&lsquo;72 Jaguar XJ6 I had).&nbsp;</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>No experience with the Petronix coil.&nbsp;</div>
<div><br id=3D"lineBreakAtBeginningOfSignature">
<div>Bob England</div>
<div><br>
<blockquote>On Sep 8, 2025, at 2:28=E2=80=AFPM, Richard Antal via=
 Healeys &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:<br><br></blockquote>
</div>
<blockquote>
<div>
<div class=3D"yahoo-style-wrap" style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">
<div>'Greetings all,</div>
<div>&nbsp; &nbsp; My BJ8 has. a Pertronix =
ignition. Should it have a ballested or non-ballested lucas sport coil? I =
note the Moss catalogue has a Pertronix coil; does anyone have experience =
with this coil and is it a better choice than the Lucas coil?=
&nbsp;<br>Thanks to all responders.</div>
<div>rich antal</div>
</div>
_______________________________________________<br>Support Team.Net =
75<br><br>Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.=
net/archive/healeys<br><br>[email-masked]<br>http://autox.team.=
net/mailman/listinfo/healeys<br><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.=
net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]<br><br></div>
</blockquote>
</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
_______________________________________________<br=
>Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html<br>Suggested annual =
donation &nbsp;$12.75<br><br>Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys=
 http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys<br><br>[email-masked].=
net<br>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys<br><br>Unsubscribe/Ma=
nage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/boyracer466@gmail.=
com<br><br></div>
</blockquote>
</div>
</div>

--===============8273099462273923918==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============8273099462273923918==--