Subject: Re: [Healeys] overdrive problem

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2025 18:07:13 -0400

--===============4500992095336505423==

--000000000000ce26f5063c4661fc

What model Leonard?

M

On Wed., Aug. 13, 2025, 5:16 p.m. Leonard Berkowitz via Healeys, <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I have been driving my Healey quite a bit of late and everything has been
> working fine until today.  Overdrive no longer engages.  I don't hear the
> solenoid clicking so I am assuming there is an electrical problem. I have
> all the wiring diagrams but no pictures of the
> parts, so I can't identify the terminals shown in the wiring diagrams.  I
> would appreciate if someone could send me a labeled diagram or picture of
> the actually parts so I can diagnose the problem.  I have two service
> manuels which only have the wiring diagrams.
> Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
>
> Len Berkowitz
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys
> http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

--000000000000ce26f5063c4661fc
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto">What model Leonard?<div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=
=3D"auto">M</div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"=
><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed., Aug. 13, 2025, 5:16 p.m. Le=
onard Berkowitz via Healeys, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">=
[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_q=
uote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1e=
x">

<div dir=3D"ltr">
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color=
:rgb(0,0,0)">
Hi all.=C2=A0</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color=
:rgb(0,0,0)">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color=
:rgb(0,0,0)">
I have been driving my Healey quite a bit of late and everything has been w=
orking fine until today.=C2=A0 Overdrive no longer engages.=C2=A0 I don&#39=
;t hear the solenoid clicking so I am assuming there is an electrical probl=
em. I have all the wiring diagrams but no pictures
 of the=C2=A0</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color=
:rgb(0,0,0)">
parts, so I can&#39;t identify the terminals shown in the wiring diagrams.=
=C2=A0 I would appreciate if someone could send me a labeled diagram or pic=
ture of the actually parts so I can diagnose the problem.=C2=A0 I have two =
service manuels which only have the wiring diagrams.
 =C2=A0</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color=
:rgb(0,0,0)">
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color=
:rgb(0,0,0)">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color=
:rgb(0,0,0)">
Len Berkowitz</div>
</div>

_______________________________________________<br>
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <=
a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferr=
er" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferr=
er">[email-masked]</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/heal=
eys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><b=
r>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--000000000000ce26f5063c4661fc--

--===============4500992095336505423==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============4500992095336505423==--

---

From: Patrick and Caroline Quinn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2025 23:58:14 +0000

--===============1752654135054300199==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_OSQPR01MB6430CBA95A7E44E519F2BFB08C31AOSQPR01MB6430apcp_"

--_000_OSQPR01MB6430CBA95A7E44E519F2BFB08C31AOSQPR01MB6430apcp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

G'day

After having the BN3s engine out and in twice, it's time to correctly adjus=
t the overdrive throttle switch.

I seem to remember that there was a technical article on this in one of the=
 two main US Austin-Healey magazines a little time back.

Yes I know it's in the workshop manual, but that assumes the reader has at =
least half a brain.

Would anyone have access to the article they could send me please.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Blue Mountains
Australia

--_000_OSQPR01MB6430CBA95A7E44E519F2BFB08C31AOSQPR01MB6430apcp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-micr=
osoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns=3D"http:=
//www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii"=
<meta name=3D"Generator" content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)">
<style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Aptos;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Aptos",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Aptos",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	mso-ligatures:none;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>
<body lang=3D"EN-AU" link=3D"#467886" vlink=3D"#96607D" style=3D"word-wrap:=
break-word">
<div class=3D"WordSection1">
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language=
:EN-US">G&#8217;day<o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language=
:EN-US"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language=
:EN-US">After having the BN3s engine out and in twice, it&#8217;s time to c=
orrectly adjust the overdrive throttle switch.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language=
:EN-US"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language=
:EN-US">I seem to remember that there was a technical article on this in on=
e of the two main US Austin-Healey magazines a little time back.<o:p></o:p>=
</span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language=
:EN-US"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language=
:EN-US">Yes I know it&#8217;s in the workshop manual, but that assumes the =
reader has at least half a brain.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language=
:EN-US"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language=
:EN-US">Would anyone have access to the article they could send me please.<=
o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language=
:EN-US"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language=
:EN-US">Hoo Roo<o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language=
:EN-US"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language=
:EN-US">Patrick Quinn<o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language=
:EN-US">Blue Mountains<o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language=
:EN-US">Australia</span><span style=3D"font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans=
-serif;color:black"><o:p></o:p></span></p>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_OSQPR01MB6430CBA95A7E44E519F2BFB08C31AOSQPR01MB6430apcp_--

--===============1752654135054300199==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1752654135054300199==--

---

From: Bob Haskell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2025 06:56:49 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============1270801483604846319==
 boundary="------------uExiyQiE0B5Et0wHeTmqNQNu"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------uExiyQiE0B5Et0wHeTmqNQNu
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Patrick,

There are a couple of old articles here: 
http://www.team.net/www/healey/tech/big_hly/index.html under Overdrive.

Bob Haskell
Austin-Healey 3000 roadster registrar

On 8/18/25 19:58, Patrick and Caroline Quinn wrote:
>
> G’day
>
> After having the BN3s engine out and in twice, it’s time to correctly 
> adjust the overdrive throttle switch.
>
> I seem to remember that there was a technical article on this in one 
> of the two main US Austin-Healey magazines a little time back.
>
> Yes I know it’s in the workshop manual, but that assumes the reader 
> has at least half a brain.
>
> Support Team.Nethttp://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
--------------uExiyQiE0B5Et0wHeTmqNQNu
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>Patrick,</p>
    <p>There are a couple of old articles here:
      <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/www/healey/tech/big_hly/index.html">http://www.team.net/www/healey/tech/big_hly/index.html</a> under
      Overdrive.<br>
    </p>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">Bob Haskell
Austin-Healey 3000 roadster registrar</pre>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 8/18/25 19:58, Patrick and Caroline
      Quinn wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <meta name="Generator"
        content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)">
      <style>@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}@font-face
	{font-family:Aptos;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Aptos",sans-serif;}span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Aptos",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	mso-ligatures:none;}div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">G’day<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">After
            having the BN3s engine out and in twice, it’s time to
            correctly adjust the overdrive throttle switch.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">I seem
            to remember that there was a technical article on this in
            one of the two main US Austin-Healey magazines a little time
            back.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">Yes I
            know it’s in the workshop manual, but that assumes the
            reader has at least half a brain.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">Would
            anyone have access to the article they could send me please.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">Hoo Roo<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">Patrick
            Quinn<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">Blue
            Mountains<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:11.0pt;mso-fareast-language:EN-US">Australia</span><span
style="font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"><o:p></o:p></span></p>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre wrap="" class="moz-quote-pre">_______________________________________________

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------uExiyQiE0B5Et0wHeTmqNQNu--

--===============1270801483604846319==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1270801483604846319==--