Subject: [Healeys] Porous block

From: Ian Hey via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2025 18:16:41 +0100

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============1910138976779694191==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0006_01DC1523.3D964850"
Content-Language: en-gb

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01DC1523.3D964850
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

When I rebuilt my engine I did not know if the block had  the corrosion
problem which would cause oil in the water.  Therefore after the block =
was
dipped to clean it, I took it to a company who vacuum impregnated the =
block
with resin (Twice).

=20

The process is degrease the block;  insert into a chamber which is then
evacuated;  allow resin into the chamber;  return to atmospheric =
pressure,
then drain resin;  insert block into tank of water at 95 degrees =
Centigrade
for twenty minutes.  Resin cures at 60 degrees Centigrade or so.

=20

This is apparently standard practice for castings which might have =
porosity,
particularly aluminium ones, but they happily did my block.

=20

The cost was not great (=A340 cash about six years ago)

=20

Ian

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01DC1523.3D964850
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word =
15 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Aptos;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Aptos",serif;
	mso-ligatures:standardcontextual;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Aptos",serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB =
link=3D"#467886" vlink=3D"#96607D" style=3D'word-wrap:break-word'><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>When I rebuilt my engine I did =
not know if the block had=A0 the corrosion problem which would cause oil =
in the water.=A0 Therefore after the block was dipped to clean it, I =
took it to a company who vacuum impregnated the block with resin =
(Twice).<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The process is degrease the block;=A0 insert into a =
chamber which is then evacuated;=A0 allow resin into the chamber;=A0 =
return to atmospheric pressure, then drain resin;=A0 insert block into =
tank of water at 95 degrees Centigrade for twenty minutes.=A0 Resin =
cures at 60 degrees Centigrade or so.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>This is =
apparently standard practice for castings which might have porosity, =
particularly aluminium ones, but they happily did my =
block.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The cost was not great (=A340 cash about six years =
ago)<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Ian<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0006_01DC1523.3D964850--

--===============1910138976779694191==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============1910138976779694191==--