Subject: [Healeys] Thermostat gasket sealant

From: Michael Oritt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2025 19:06:22 -0500

--===============3604542709816986523==

--000000000000101cab062e4b4c71

My 100 will not come up to temperature (at least yet) with a 160
thermostat.  I am putting in a 180 and wonder what is the preferred gasket
dressing?

Best--Michael Oritt

--000000000000101cab062e4b4c71
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:#3333ff">My 10=
0 will not come up to temperature (at least yet) with a 160 thermostat.=C2=
=A0 I am putting in a 180 and wonder what is the preferred gasket dressing?=
</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:#3333ff"><br></div><div c=
lass=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:#3333ff">Best--Michael Oritt</div></d=
iv>

--000000000000101cab062e4b4c71--

--===============3604542709816986523==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============3604542709816986523==--

---

From: Hank Leach via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2025 17:36:15 +0000 afANssZi9GC/1CiQUgXFvUuqdmGQp5LgCgIj3J4+x8XJhfyjzKepPSaIw0dhRUBizaMfLMQbpzNZCxzCTzuSxjLSW9xyN6/3RU3s9OsMagFRbS+//TclydCX

--===============8006317255526658726==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div>I've always used Permatex&nbsp; "Aviation" sealant but nowadays folks =
are using a Permatex black sealant for better placing and removing (do not =
use "Right Stuff" as it wont come apart). I'm sure the (blue) silicone =
gasket makers out there also work but look ugly. I guess that heat is the =
big factor in deciding which is best.</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>Great that your cooling system is so well maintained that a 160 is too=
 cold. My BJ8 has always run a 160 and never had any issues and runs at =
about 170-180 in traffic (for a short time). Remember in the 100, you are =
measuring the radiator temperature and not the engine block temperature. =
Use a laser heat gun to check the engine block and head to confirm good =
number. Hank<br>-------------------- <br><br>From: "Michael Oritt" =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br>To: "Healeys at Autox" =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br>Sent: February 16, 2025 at 7:01 PM PST =
<br>Subject: [Healeys] Thermostat gasket sealant </div>
<div>
<div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color: #3333ff;">My 100 will not come=
 up to temperature (at least yet) with a 160 thermostat.&nbsp; I am putting=
 in a 180 and wonder what is the preferred gasket dressing?</div>
<div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color: #3333ff;">&nbsp;</div>
<div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color: #3333ff;">Best--Michael =
Oritt</div>
</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>

--===============8006317255526658726==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8006317255526658726==--