Subject: [Healeys] Block porosity

From: Ian Hey via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2025 11:38:47 -0000

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============5837570089122793235==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0016_01DB64E6.8B454530"
Content-Language: en-gb

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01DB64E6.8B454530
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

When I rebuilt an engine which had been standing without water for forty
years, there was a huge amount of brown dust (rust) in the waterways.  I
therefore removed the core (freeze) plugs and all brass components (main oil
gallery plugs) and had the block dipped in I know not what, but it came back
looking like new.  Removed brass components since the fluid used destroys
brass.  It also destroys shell bearings, so new cam bearings required.

I knew about the Healey porosity problem but did not know if my block
suffered, so I had it vacuum impregnated with resin.  This process gets
resin into all surface defects, and eighteen months later when I had to
change a core plug, the inside of the block waterways were still like new -
no corrosion at all.  I believe that this was the best thing I did to my
block.

The vacuum impregnation process puts the clean block into a chamber which is
evacuated.  Resin is then allowed to enter, and is then drained out.  The
block is then placed in a 90 degree centigrade (194 F) water bath, which
cures the resin (resin cure temperature 60 degrees centigrade (140 F))  This
process was done twice, just to make sure.  This is a standard process for
castings in the UK to cure casting porosity or other defects such as
corrosion.

A possible alternative to a replacement block?

Ian Hey

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01DB64E6.8B454530
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Aptos;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Aptos",serif;
	mso-ligatures:standardcontextual;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Aptos",serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB =
link=3D"#467886" vlink=3D"#96607D" style=3D'word-wrap:break-word'><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>When I rebuilt an engine which =
had been standing without water for forty years, there was a huge amount =
of brown dust (rust) in the waterways.&nbsp; I therefore removed the =
core (freeze) plugs and all brass components (main oil gallery plugs) =
and had the block dipped in I know not what, but it came back looking =
like new.&nbsp; Removed brass components since the fluid used destroys =
brass.&nbsp; It also destroys shell bearings, so new cam bearings =
required.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>I knew about the Healey porosity problem but did not =
know if my block suffered, so I had it vacuum impregnated with =
resin.&nbsp; This process gets resin into all surface defects, and =
eighteen months later when I had to change a core plug, the inside of =
the block waterways were still like new &#8211; no corrosion at =
all.&nbsp; I believe that this was the best thing I did to my =
block.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The vacuum impregnation process puts the clean block =
into a chamber which is evacuated.&nbsp; Resin is then allowed to enter, =
and is then drained out.&nbsp; The block is then placed in a 90 degree =
centigrade (194 F) water bath, which cures the resin (resin cure =
temperature 60 degrees centigrade (140 F))&nbsp; This process was done =
twice, just to make sure.&nbsp; This is a standard process for castings =
in the UK to cure casting porosity or other defects such as =
corrosion.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>A possible alternative to a replacement =
block?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Ian Hey<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0016_01DB64E6.8B454530--

--===============5837570089122793235==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============5837570089122793235==--