Subject: [Healeys] New OD plug

From: Don via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2024 22:16:12 -0400

--Apple-Mail-3852FCCB-91A1-4EEE-A193-FCEA86C11E49
	charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

After removing the brass OD  drain plug on the 67 BJ8 , very badly leaking a=
nd ordering a replacement one from AHSpares. New design from AHSPARES looks l=
ike it may work . Rather than flat surface to flat surface with a washer and=
 gasket compound the new design has a groove with a supplied rubber o ring t=
hen the gasket .=20

--Apple-Mail-3852FCCB-91A1-4EEE-A193-FCEA86C11E49
	name=image0.jpeg;
	x-apple-part-url=B331E719-4AF4-4A36-96BA-38FA1F77FF6F-L0-001
Content-Disposition: inline;
	filename=image0.jpeg
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--Apple-Mail-3852FCCB-91A1-4EEE-A193-FCEA86C11E49
	name=image1.jpeg;
	x-apple-part-url=D1EB51BE-E4A3-4ED1-BA19-4441CB1192B1-L0-001
Content-Disposition: inline;
	filename=image1.jpeg
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--Apple-Mail-3852FCCB-91A1-4EEE-A193-FCEA86C11E49
	charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Should work better. 
              Don 
        
Sent from my iPhone
--Apple-Mail-3852FCCB-91A1-4EEE-A193-FCEA86C11E49
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--Apple-Mail-3852FCCB-91A1-4EEE-A193-FCEA86C11E49--

---

From: Bob Spidell via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2024 21:04:45 -0700

Helpful, thanks. Please let us know how it works out.

Bob

On 10/7/2024 7:16 PM, Don via Healeys wrote:
> After removing the brass OD  drain plug on the 67 BJ8 , very badly leaking and ordering a replacement one from AHSpares. New design from AHSPARES looks like it may work . Rather than flat surface to flat surface with a washer and gasket compound the new design has a groove with a supplied rubber o ring then the gasket .
>
>
> Should work better.
>                Don
>          
> Sent from my iPhone
>

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2024 21:16:28 -0700

Hi Don,

Got a part#? I can't find it on AHS site.

Thanks,
Bob

On 10/7/2024 7:16 PM, Don via Healeys wrote:
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

[email-masked]

---

From: JSARCH via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2024 23:19:52 -0700

Seems interesting but non-hardening Hylomar worked for me.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Bob Spidell via
Healeys
Sent: Monday, October 7, 2024 9:05 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] New OD plug

Bob

On 10/7/2024 7:16 PM, Don via Healeys wrote:
> After removing the brass OD  drain plug on the 67 BJ8 , very badly leaking
and ordering a replacement one from AHSpares. New design from AHSPARES looks
like it may work . Rather than flat surface to flat surface with a washer
and gasket compound the new design has a groove with a supplied rubber o
ring then the gasket .
$12.75

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys
http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: JSARCH via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2024 23:19:52 -0700

I would thing the gasket would not be needed because of the O ring.

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Don via Healeys
Sent: Monday, October 7, 2024 7:16 PM
To: healey list <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Healeys] New OD plug

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Haskell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2024 06:13:20 -0400

The gasket might prevent the o-ring from grabbing as the plug is tightened.

Don, can you tell if the new one is the same material as the original?  
Are the flanges the same thickness?  I wonder if machining a groove in 
an original one would weaken it too much. Would think so.

Bob Haskell
Austin-Healey 3000 roadster registrar

On 10/8/24 02:19, JSARCH via Healeys wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: John Spaur via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2024 09:56:10 -0700

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============3855701563603554306==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0036_01DB1968.4EF20A60"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0036_01DB1968.4EF20A60
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0037_01DB1968.4EF20A60"

------=_NextPart_001_0037_01DB1968.4EF20A60
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Lubrication is commonly applied to O-rings to prevent grabbing and ease =
installation. It might be possible to use a fat O-ring on the plug =
without machining a grove, but I am very uncertain about that. This is a =
picture from sprinkler manifold.=20

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Haskell [mailto:[email-masked]]=20
Sent: Tuesday, October 8, 2024 3:13 AM
To: JSARCH <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]; 'healey list' =
<[email-masked]>

=20

The gasket might prevent the o-ring from grabbing as the plug is =
tightened.

=20

Don, can you tell if the new one is the same material as the original? =
Are the flanges the same thickness?  I wonder if machining a groove in =
an original one would weaken it too much. Would think so.

=20

Bob Haskell

=20

>=20

> -----Original Message-----

[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Don via=20

> Sent: Monday, October 7, 2024 7:16 PM

[email-masked]>

>=20

> After removing the brass OD  drain plug on the 67 BJ8 , very badly=20

> leaking and ordering a replacement one from AHSpares. New design from=20

> AHSPARES looks like it may work . Rather than flat surface to flat=20

> surface with a washer and gasket compound the new design has a groove=20

> with a supplied rubber o ring then the gasket .

>=20

> Support Team.Net  <http://www.team.net/donate.html> =

> donation  $12.75

>=20

> Archive:  <http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys> =
http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys=20

>  <http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys> =

>=20

>  <http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys> =

>=20

> Unsubscribe/Manage:=20

>  =
<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]> =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

>=20

------=_NextPart_001_0037_01DB1968.4EF20A60
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)"><!--[if =
!mso]><style>v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
</style><![endif]--><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoPlainText, li.MsoPlainText, div.MsoPlainText
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Plain Text Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.PlainTextChar
	{mso-style-name:"Plain Text Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Plain Text";
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>Lubrication is commonly applied to O-rings to =
prevent grabbing and ease installation. It might be possible to use a =
fat O-ring on the plug without machining a grove, but I am very =
uncertain about that. This is a picture from sprinkler manifold. =
<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText><img width=3D139 height=3D169 =
id=3D"Picture_x0020_1" =
src=3D"cid:[email-masked]"><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>-----Original Message-----<br>From: Bob Haskell =
[mailto:[email-masked]] <br>Sent: Tuesday, October 8, 2024 3:13 =
AM<br>To: JSARCH &lt;[email-masked]&gt;; [email-masked]; =
'healey list' &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Subject: Re: [Healeys] =
New OD plug</p><p class=3DMsoPlainText><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>The gasket might prevent the o-ring from grabbing =
as the plug is tightened.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText>Don, =
can you tell if the new one is the same material as the original? Are =
the flanges the same thickness?&nbsp; I wonder if machining a groove in =
an original one would weaken it too much. Would think =
so.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>Bob Haskell<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>Austin-Healey 3000 roadster =
registrar<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>On 10/8/24 02:19, JSARCH via Healeys =
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt; I would thing the =
gasket would not be needed because of the O ring.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt;<o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt; -----Original Message-----<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt; From: Healeys &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"><span =
style=3D'color:windowtext;text-decoration:none'>[email-masked]=
m.net</span></a>&gt; On Behalf Of Don via <o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt; Healeys<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt; Sent: Monday, October 7, 2024 7:16 =
PM<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt; To: healey list &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"><span =
style=3D'color:windowtext;text-decoration:none'>[email-masked]</s=
pan></a>&gt;<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt; Subject: =
[Healeys] New OD plug<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt;<o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt; After removing the brass OD=C2=A0 drain plug =
on the 67 BJ8 , very badly <o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt; =
leaking and ordering a replacement one from AHSpares. New design from =
<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt; AHSPARES looks like it may =
work . Rather than flat surface to flat <o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt; surface with a washer and gasket compound the =
new design has a groove <o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt; with =
a supplied rubber o ring then the gasket .<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt;<o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt; =
_______________________________________________<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt; Support Team.Net <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"><span =
style=3D'color:windowtext;text-decoration:none'>http://www.team.net/donat=
e.html</span></a> Suggested annual <o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt; donation=C2=A0 $12.75<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt;<o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt; Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"><span =
style=3D'color:windowtext;text-decoration:none'>http://www.team.net/piper=
mail/healeys</span></a> <o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt; <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys"><span =
style=3D'color:windowtext;text-decoration:none'>http://autox.team.net/arc=
hive/healeys</span></a><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt;<o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt; <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"><span =
style=3D'color:windowtext;text-decoration:none'>[email-masked]</s=
pan></a><o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt; <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys"><span =
style=3D'color:windowtext;text-decoration:none'>http://autox.team.net/mai=
lman/listinfo/healeys</span></a><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt;<o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt; Unsubscribe/Manage: <o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt; <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/rchaskell@earthlink=
.net"><span =
style=3D'color:windowtext;text-decoration:none'>http://autox.team.net/mai=
lman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</span></a><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoPlainText>&gt;<o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_001_0037_01DB1968.4EF20A60--

------=_NextPart_000_0036_01DB1968.4EF20A60
	name="image003.png"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

------=_NextPart_000_0036_01DB1968.4EF20A60--

--===============3855701563603554306==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3855701563603554306==--