Subject: [Healeys] Update on Removing Hard Top Trim

From: Harold Manifold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2024 08:46:06 -0700

--===============0686313434457923594==

--0000000000008dd64d06240d27d4

Hello,

I was able to get the aluminum trim off my 65 year old top. I used all of
the suggestions and have these comments.
The black caulk is very brittle after 65 years and will separate from the
aluminum when persuaded. I used an oscillating multitool about every 4" per
Jean's recommendation. It didn't move the aluminum too much but it helped
to break the bond with the black caulk. Next step was a piece of 1x3 wood
and hammer gently tapping along the edge of the aluminum until it was free.
I tried a few solvents but the aluminum fits so tight the solvents can't
penetrate. I did use a heat gun but not sure if it helped. It would have
expanded the aluminum a bit which may have helped break the bond with the
caulk.

Hope this helps the next person to take apart a hard top.

Harold

--0000000000008dd64d06240d27d4
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Hello,<div><br></div><div>I was able to get the aluminum t=
rim off my 65 year old top. I used all of the suggestions and have these co=
mments.</div><div>The black caulk is very brittle after 65 years and will s=
eparate from the aluminum when persuaded. I used an oscillating=C2=A0multit=
ool about every 4&quot; per Jean&#39;s recommendation. It didn&#39;t move t=
he aluminum too much but it helped to break the bond with the black caulk. =
Next step was a piece of 1x3 wood and hammer gently=C2=A0tapping along=C2=
=A0the edge of the aluminum until it was free. I tried a few solvents but t=
he aluminum fits so tight the solvents can&#39;t penetrate. I did use a hea=
t gun but not sure if it helped. It would have expanded the aluminum a bit =
which may have helped break the bond with the caulk.</div><div><br></div><d=
iv>Hope this helps the next person to take apart a hard top.</div><div><br>=
</div><div>Harold</div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>

--0000000000008dd64d06240d27d4--

--===============0686313434457923594==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============0686313434457923594==--