Subject: [Healeys] Overdrive pressure or clutch slip Step 3

From: Simon Lachlan via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2024 23:12:39 +0100

Just when you thought it was all over......
So, thanks for all the replies and advice so far.
I've only been able to get back to the car in the last few days. Better weather and negotiating various domestic hurdles (usual stuff).
Mindful of specific advice:-
1) I swapped the relay for a new one left over from the last bout. The one in the car passed the tests but it could have been marginal I suppose.
2) I swapped the solenoid for a new one left over from the last bout. Ditto above.
3) I adjusted the Throttle Switch. God, that's a wretched thing.
4) Checked oil, electrics etcetc.
5) Pressure good at +/- 520psi
6) OD going in & out per usual tests ie when sitting in the garage
Etcetc
Took the car out for a longer trip today. Performed very well for about 10 miles then the slippage(?) started again. Especially on hills.
Removed the OD's fuse which, I reckon, puts the OD out of the game. Symptoms continued.
Now.....I know and I've experienced low OD pressure. All's well until oil warms up and pressure drops. But, now I've supposedly taken the OD out of the equation, I'm asking myself, "ODs are effected by their oil's temperature but the flywheel/clutch connection is friction. So, it either slips or it doesn't ie regardless of temperature."  Is that right???
Despite that question/worry of mine, I am leaning very much towards clutch slip as opposed to OD, which is pretty new don't forget. The slip is pretty drastic and seems to have worsened noticeably. 
I'm reluctant to take the box out until I've ruled out a few alternatives. If there are any!
Besides an issue at the clutch plate to flywheel connection, is there anything else that can cause this? 
Or are there other areas yet to be explored.
I really need to get this thing fixed as am hoping to take it over to Ireland in July.
Simon

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

---

From: Keith Mott <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2024 19:49:21 -0600

--===============2296633629100408981==

--0000000000006106cc0617fba15d
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

This is a long shot, but is it possible that the piston in your clutch
master cylinder is not retreating far enough to open the vent hole between
the fluid reservoir and cylinder?  When the fluid heats up it expands a
little, if it can't vent to the reservoir it could build up  pressure in
your slave cylinder causing the clutch to slip.  That would explain why you
only get slippage when things heat up.
Keith

On Wed, May 8, 2024 at 4:24=E2=80=AFPM Simon Lachlan via Healeys <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> I've only been able to get back to the car in the last few days. Better
> weather and negotiating various domestic hurdles (usual stuff).
> 1) I swapped the relay for a new one left over from the last bout. The on=
e
> in the car passed the tests but it could have been marginal I suppose.
> Took the car out for a longer trip today. Performed very well for about 1=
0
> miles then the slippage(?) started again. Especially on hills.
> Now.....I know and I've experienced low OD pressure. All's well until oil
> warms up and pressure drops. But, now I've supposedly taken the OD out of
> the equation, I'm asking myself, "ODs are effected by their oil's
> temperature but the flywheel/clutch connection is friction. So, it either
> slips or it doesn't ie regardless of temperature."  Is that right???
> Despite that question/worry of mine, I am leaning very much towards clutc=
h
> slip as opposed to OD, which is pretty new don't forget. The slip is pret=
ty
> drastic and seems to have worsened noticeably.
> I'm reluctant to take the box out until I've ruled out a few alternatives=
.
> If there are any!
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

--0000000000006106cc0617fba15d
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">This is a long shot, but is it possible that the piston in=
 your clutch master cylinder is not retreating far enough to open the vent =
hole between the fluid reservoir=C2=A0and cylinder?=C2=A0 When the fluid he=
ats up it expands a little, if it can&#39;t vent to the reservoir it could =
build up=C2=A0 pressure in your slave cylinder causing the clutch to slip.=
=C2=A0 That would explain why you only get slippage when things heat up.<di=
v>Keith</div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D=
"gmail_attr">On Wed, May 8, 2024 at 4:24=E2=80=AFPM Simon Lachlan via Heale=
ys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>=
&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px =
0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">=C2=
=A0Just when you thought it was all over......<br>
So, thanks for all the replies and advice so far.<br>
I&#39;ve only been able to get back to the car in the last few days. Better=
 weather and negotiating various domestic hurdles (usual stuff).<br>
Mindful of specific advice:-<br>
1) I swapped the relay for a new one left over from the last bout. The one =
in the car passed the tests but it could have been marginal I suppose.<br>
2) I swapped the solenoid for a new one left over from the last bout. Ditto=
 above.<br>
3) I adjusted the Throttle Switch. God, that&#39;s a wretched thing.<br>
4) Checked oil, electrics etcetc.<br>
5) Pressure good at +/- 520psi<br>
6) OD going in &amp; out per usual tests ie when sitting in the garage<br>
Etcetc<br>
Took the car out for a longer trip today. Performed very well for about 10 =
miles then the slippage(?) started again. Especially on hills.<br>
Removed the OD&#39;s fuse which, I reckon, puts the OD out of the game. Sym=
ptoms continued.<br>
Now.....I know and I&#39;ve experienced low OD pressure. All&#39;s well unt=
il oil warms up and pressure drops. But, now I&#39;ve supposedly taken the =
OD out of the equation, I&#39;m asking myself, &quot;ODs are effected by th=
eir oil&#39;s temperature but the flywheel/clutch connection is friction. S=
o, it either slips or it doesn&#39;t ie regardless of temperature.&quot;=C2=
=A0 Is that right???<br>
Despite that question/worry of mine, I am leaning very much towards clutch =
slip as opposed to OD, which is pretty new don&#39;t forget. The slip is pr=
etty drastic and seems to have worsened noticeably. <br>
I&#39;m reluctant to take the box out until I&#39;ve ruled out a few altern=
atives. If there are any!<br>
Besides an issue at the clutch plate to flywheel connection, is there anyth=
ing else that can cause this? <br>
Or are there other areas yet to be explored.<br>
I really need to get this thing fixed as am hoping to take it over to Irela=
nd in July.<br>
Simon<br>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"h=
ttp://autox.team.net/archive/healeys" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]=
eam.net</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.te=
am.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--0000000000006106cc0617fba15d--

--===============2296633629100408981==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2296633629100408981==--